Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Wait I missed this and just saw the jokes.

Did anime actually play a role somehow?

An anime convention snarled traffic enough that a bunch of conservative voters couldn't get to the convention (which was in the same building) in time to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Count Roland posted:

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/we-asked-eight-cosplayers-for-their-thoughts-on-the-conservative-leadership-race

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aaaaaaahaha yesss

quote:

Name: Chris Anderson

Character: Non-specific furry

Preferred candidate: Maxime Bernier

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Eox posted:

If a lack of personality was what canadians wanted, we'd be neck-deep in the Ignatieff administration right now.

instead we got Mr. Personality Stephen "I love movies and TV shows" Harper.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
My takeaway is that low effort Canadian cosplayers are also enamored with low effort political ideologies and politicians

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

leftist heap posted:

instead we got Mr. Personality Stephen "I love movies and TV shows" Harper.

I've always figured that the order of voting priorities here is incumbency > generalized rage > personality > actual issues

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Eox posted:

I've always figured that the order of voting priorities here is incumbency > generalized rage > personality > actual issues

Yeah, if something's not biting them in the rear end, Canadians are very traditional and conservative.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

flashy_mcflash posted:

An anime convention snarled traffic enough that a bunch of conservative voters couldn't get to the convention (which was in the same building) in time to vote.

So Scheer voters are the punctual type I suppose.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Or Otakus

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Count Roland posted:

No, but SA likes to pretend it did

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, if something's not biting them in the rear end, Canadians are very traditional and conservative.

Yeah that explains why we were the 4th country in the world to legalize same sex marriage, one of the first to get medicare, that whole Charter of Rights thing back in the 80s, etc, etc, etc.

I mean yeah, Canada has its issues, but pretending we're a traditional and conservative country ignores hundreds of years of history and the actual reality of today, which is quite frankly an achievement in and of itself when you look at the stable genius who was elected just south of us. It's not like everyone is a raging leftist, but we also aren't even remotely close to electing Trump.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
America, making Canadians feel good about themselves for 150 years.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

HookShot posted:

Yeah that explains why we were the 4th country in the world to legalize same sex marriage, one of the first to get medicare, that whole Charter of Rights thing back in the 80s, etc, etc, etc.

I mean yeah, Canada has its issues, but pretending we're a traditional and conservative country ignores hundreds of years of history and the actual reality of today, which is quite frankly an achievement in and of itself when you look at the stable genius who was elected just south of us. It's not like everyone is a raging leftist, but we also aren't even remotely close to electing Trump.
Yeah, I watch a lot of Murdoch Murder Mysteries and Canada is portrayed as super progressive in it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Why does BC have anime beer? Also the BCLC sucks if you don't drink wine.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

HookShot posted:

I don't mean politically conservative. I mean we're OK with things as long as it doesn't rock the boat. Gay marriage doesn't affect people, but apparently a $15 minimum wage sure as poo poo does.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Why isn't that called "Last Mango in Paris" :colbert:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

DariusLikewise posted:

Fuggles is decent. Last Strawberry Wit is like a non-lovely version of früli if you want a sweet fruit beer.

And yeah, BCLC has nothing on the LCBO. Some BCLCs are just starting to try out the refrigeration thing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

DariusLikewise posted:

that's a richmond brewery - the strawberry one isn't half bad, the mango is mildly sour

go to a different BCL if you want a better wine selection - different locations have different product selections (39th and Cambie, Alberni and Bute, Willingdon and Lougheed are all enormous)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
That was the one on Alberni, I was saying anything outside of the wine selection was abysmal compared to Manitoba Liquor stores even.

cowofwar posted:

Fuggles is decent. Last Strawberry Wit is like a non-lovely version of früli if you want a sweet fruit beer.

And yeah, BCLC has nothing on the LCBO. Some BCLCs are just starting to try out the refrigeration thing.

Was that was the COLDZONE advertising was all about?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

DariusLikewise posted:

Was that was the COLDZONE advertising was all about?

Sure was. Up until recently the BCLSs straight up weren't allowed to have refrigeration (iirc) (as such newer stores - like SOLO at Lougheed and Willingdon, have enormous fridge sections that run the entire length of the back of the store).

I misunderstood, but yeah, the beer selection is not as good as many private stores here - mostly due to distribution requirements placed on the BCL, though I don't know too much about that.

e: VERY recently re:fridges, 2015 in fact.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 15, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

I don't mean politically conservative. I mean we're OK with things as long as it doesn't rock the boat. Gay marriage doesn't affect people, but apparently a $15 minimum wage sure as poo poo does.

I'd be willing to bet most people are for it, just because a whole bunch of angry old white people with nothing better to do than bitch about things on Facebook comments are angry about it doesn't make it the majority opinion.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I saw that anime beer on sale in St. Vital, too

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Labels can be removed, taste is forever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not a wine drinker but I enjoy looking at wine bottles so whenever friends come over I always go to the BCLC and buy whatever bottle I think looks coolest.

One time I came back with a rose from the Okanagan with a bunch of glow-in-the-dark monsters on the bottle and my husband was like "yeah there's no way this is going to be a good wine" but it was surprisingly decent, apparently. Everyone was very surprised.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
That’s pretty much how I pick wine. Also those lines on the labels that tell you what it goes with. I know Yellow Tail is bad but I just want red drunk liquid so I usually get that.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The American right cast their horrible unblinking eye on Canada for a brief moment

quote:

WASHINGTON — In what's almost certainly a first in the lengthy history of bilateral relations between the countries, Canada's summer-jobs program has become the object of criticism from America's right wing.

The reason is abortion.

A former Trump White House adviser, several news organizations and the president's favourite Fox News morning show have all dumped on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's explanation for why pro-life groups should be excluded from $220 million in federal jobs grants.

The prime minister's suggestion that pro-life groups were out of line with Canadian society triggered criticism in the country next door — where abortion remains a subject of mainstream political debate and is a central issue in the struggle for control of the U.S. Supreme Court.

"This man is reprehensible," tweeted former White House staffer Sebastian Gorka.

It's not the first time Trudeau has landed on the radar of the American right.

While he's drawn fawning profiles in mainstream magazines and polls have suggested he's relatively well-liked in the U.S., there are three cases now where he's drawn conservative ire down south, after his praiseful eulogizing of Fidel Castro and the multimillion-dollar legal settlement with Omar Khadr.

There were even a few boos at a Republican rally in Florida recently when President Donald Trump mentioned Trudeau's name — though the president interjected quickly to silence them: "No, I like him," Trump said. "Nice guy. Good guy."

The latest controversy involves a new Canadian policy — when applying for federal grants for student jobs, organizations are now required to sign a form attesting that neither their core mission, nor the job being funded, opposes human rights, including reproductive rights.

Pro-life activists are suing the federal government over it.

The abortion controversy produced a segment Monday on the morning show "Fox and Friends".

Host Brian Kilmeade said: "What message is he trying to send to us, maybe?" Co-host Rachel Campos-Duffy added: "What happens in Canada often comes down to us. This is an effort to silence pro-lifers. ... This is a sign of intolerance. If you have a pro-life view you’re not welcome to share it or else you’re kicked out of this program."

They invited the head of largest American annual pro-life march onto the air to discuss it. Jeanne Mancini, whose annual March for Life is later this week, said she hoped to invite the prime minister to attend the rally.

"Because he will see who's really out of touch with mainstream America," Mancini said. "We've lost over 60 million Americans to abortion. To the prime minister, I would just really want to talk to him."

Trudeau discussed the controversy in an interview Monday with The Canadian Press.

He said he's a Catholic who has long had to reconcile his religious beliefs with his responsibilities as a political leader and he said the latter demands that he defend people's rights.

In this case, he said that means a woman's right to choose trumps the right to a federal grant.

"An organization that has as its stated goal to remove rights from Canadians, to remove the right that women have fought for to determine what happens to their own bodies, is not in line with where the charter (of Rights) is or where the government of Canada is," Trudeau said Monday.

"Certainly there is no obligation by the government of Canada to fund organizations that are determined to remove rights that have been so long fought for by women."

http://www.timescolonist.com/reprehensible-trudeau-abortion-policy-raises-ire-of-u-s-right-1.23144968

One thing I do like about Trudeau is his unapologetic defense for poo poo like this.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Modern Conservatives: Still fighting battles lost over 40 years ago

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

yeah trudeau for all his faults seems fairly principled as far as politicians go. they might suck, but at least he stands by them

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If the American Right hates or disapproves anyone or anything then they must be actually really good and amazing.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Wirth1000 posted:

If the American Right hates or disapproves anyone or anything then they must be actually really good and amazing.

Well at least Gorka

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Anything that V6 Automatic Mustang driving Seb Gorka hates, I stand a good chance of liking.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If it's pissing off F&F then it's good in my books.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Trudeau's right and he knows it

Of course he's still in charge of the party that gave us all that other LPC poo poo so meh, but still.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just pretend hes saying trudeau instead of chapo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglVo9rj2Nk

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tochiazuma posted:

No, but SA likes to pretend it did

Eh, the CPC published the address for their convention as 650 Dixon road, which is the the address of the south building at the Toronto Congress Center. Unfortunately, the CPC Leadership convention was taking place in the TCC North Building, which is located on Martin Grove road. You can get to the North Building from the South Building, but when 30,000 people are in the South Building and its parking lot, it's very difficult and time consuming to do so by car.

A good number of people got stuck in their cars trying to get through the crowds, but even a cursory glance at the vote totals shows it didn't make any difference.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

If you want to see good beer selection I think the best shops are private. Legacy Liquor in the Olympic Village and Brewery Creek at Main and 14th-ish have really good selection.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/953098449154658304

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

If you want to see good beer selection I think the best shops are private. Legacy Liquor in the Olympic Village and Brewery Creek at Main and 14th-ish have really good selection.

That and Firefly at Cambie and 12th are the trifecta of Good Beer Stores. But BC Liquor Stores generally actually have pretty decent selection of beer nowadays, despite the posts above. Who really cares if the beer is cold or not?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

blah_blah posted:

That and Firefly at Cambie and 12th are the trifecta of Good Beer Stores. But BC Liquor Stores generally actually have pretty decent selection of beer nowadays, despite the posts above. Who really cares if the beer is cold or not?

I think it probably depends on the location. The BC Liquor Store where I used to live had a 99% awful selection of wine -- barely even any decent BC wines -- but a great selection of craft beer, both local and otherwise, probably because there were a lot more beer drinkers than wine drinkers that live there.

In the end, stores should probably be as free as possible to adapt to their local markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

I'd be willing to bet most people are for it, just because a whole bunch of angry old white people with nothing better to do than bitch about things on Facebook comments are angry about it doesn't make it the majority opinion.

There was a poll a few days ago showing the minimum wage increase as having 60% support in Ontario. It also had the Liberals within a point of the PCs, thanks to the minimum wage and pharmacare changes.