Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SpacePig posted:

The Tracey Ullman stuff is almost unwatchable, and the handful of Klasky Csupo episodes are almost unfathomably bad, but I think it finds itself in season 2 pretty well. It definitely stays good longer than a lot of folks give it credit for, but 12 is where the wheels start to come off and the cracks start showing. It's not bad or anything, but you can tell something bad is on the horizon.
My personally opinion is that the turning point is the episode where Kid Rock guest stars as himself and sings part of "Ba Wit Da Ba"

There are good jokes in that episode but it's pretty safe to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No, the Simpsons started to be Bad whenever you turned 15. The show used to have more talented writers but the total range in quality between seasons 3 and 20 isn't THAT big

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No, the Simpsons started to be Bad whenever you turned 15. The show used to have more talented writers but the total range in quality between seasons 3 and 20 isn't THAT big

While this is technically true, the later episodes don't hold up on re-watching. Once they started shoehorning in celebrity cameos and needless songs, it fell off bad. There might be individual episode exceptions, but no season after 200 hold up as well as the "Golden Age" stuff. They also kinda lost what the show was when they realized they could get away with just aping Family Guy's shtick (which itself was an aping of The Simpsons shtick) and phoning it in.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It's too bad the Simpsons didn't end sometime around season 10-12. We could be having a Netflix revival by now!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cancel the Simpsons, bring back King of the Hill.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's too bad the Simpsons didn't end sometime around season 10-12. We could be having a Netflix revival by now!

I don't know about you, but I for one am very excited for the revivals of all of my favorite Nicktoons in the form of made-for-TV movies.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

No god please. I love King of the Hill too much for them to bring it back and destroy it. Just cancel the whole Animation Domination block except for Bob's Burgers and bring in some new poo poo for once that isn't Seth MacFarlane.

Would buy unironically.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

It's really tough to put into words just how bad early Simpsons is. Everybody talks about the golden age being 1-10, but 11-12 are really solid, and 1-2 are just terrible.

Season 1 is bizarre, but it's good in its own way, and has some of the most memorable episodes of the series -- the antifreeze in the wine, the one with Princess Kashmir, the one where the family's all electrocuting each other. By season 2 the show has found its footing and it remains good up to 10. The stuff from the Tracey Ullman show is godawful and I have no idea how they decided to make a half-hour show out of that garbage.

The best season is season 8. It has the best episode of the whole series (You Only Move Twice) and even the worst one there (the one with Rodney Dangerfield) is still decent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I feel this wasn't appreciated enough. The editing is spot-loving-on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sagebrush posted:

It has the best episode of the whole series (You Only Move Twice)

You Only Move Twice is the best episode of the Simpsons and if anyone disagrees I will tell them I respect their opinion but secretly think less of them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Randaconda posted:

What happened?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

That is great.

More steamed hams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZrGGOmO1Hk

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SpacePig posted:

I know that Simpsons Shitposting has a tradition of Season 1-8 stuff, and this is funny and all, but there's literally a Tracey Ullman short about Homer waking everybody up for a nuclear bomb drill, without announcing it's a drill until they're in their fallout shelter.

I really hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I thought this thread hated anime though?

Besides you'd have to write a plot where Luann and Lucky die (possibly their infant daughter too) and that would be a bummer.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Data Graham posted:

I’m aware, I was continuing in the theme of obscure Simpsons quotes as an Homerage to your deep cut

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

SpacePig posted:

no season after 200

This is going to happen, isn't it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sagebrush posted:

Season 1 is bizarre, but it's good in its own way, and has some of the most memorable episodes of the series -- the antifreeze in the wine, the one with Princess Kashmir, the one where the family's all electrocuting each other. By season 2 the show has found its footing and it remains good up to 10. The stuff from the Tracey Ullman show is godawful and I have no idea how they decided to make a half-hour show out of that garbage.

The best season is season 8. It has the best episode of the whole series (You Only Move Twice) and even the worst one there (the one with Rodney Dangerfield) is still decent.

I'd strongly disagree about Season 2; it might be a case of tastes, but when I watched the first 15 seasons again I remember being really bored waiting for better episodes to show up. At that point I feel they're still spending way too much time on moralizing episodes and trying to be a "family comedy", rather than the Simpsons at their best, which is largely the family interacting with the neighbourhood at large. There's some good meme material in there but the episodes really drag. Looking at the episode list, really the only one I have fond memories for is "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?", which is mostly related to the presence of Danny DeVito; even then the Season 3 episode with Herb is clearly the stronger one.

Season 3 has a lot of the same issues, but by then the quality is clearly improving, and it's clearly on the way to becoming the show we know and love.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

is there a thing in the vein of frinkiac or morbotron, but for brooklyn 99?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Can someone please repost the shitpost with Bill Cosby rapping about jazz?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phanatic posted:

Can someone please repost the shitpost with Bill Cosby rapping about jazz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Z_k50ltkY

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ah, poo poo, thanks, but this was a Simpsons one. Was set to an Eminem hook, had Marge krumping, and was one of those videos where you could drag the mouse to move the camera around.

Still, though, I like that one.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtAsRr0bCLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtvCFBaxSaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hgdgwVXjQw

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Jan 16, 2018

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Ah, poo poo, thanks, but this was a Simpsons one. Was set to an Eminem hook, had Marge krumping, and was one of those videos where you could drag the mouse to move the camera around.

Still, though, I like that one.

I believe it's this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t3mtXho27k

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys ever think that after 12 years the Simpson's were being written for a younger generation?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ComfyPants posted:

I believe it's this one

Thanks so much, that's it.

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys ever think that after 12 years the Simpson's were being written for a younger generation?

Yeah, maybe, but it's undeniable that a major chunk of talent left the show and it just plain got worse. Quibbles about the first season aside, the first 8 seasons were pretty uniformly great. For the first three, they just kept adding writers, good ones. Al Jean, John Swartzwelder, a bunch of good writers. Conan O'Brien came in on S3. But in S4 people started either burning out or moving onto other things. Even then the replacements were amazing. David S. Cohen came on in S5, as did Greg Daniels, brought in by show runner David Mirkin. But by the time S7 came around only a third of the staff had been around since before S5. By S9 there was barely anyone who had a connection to the show's peak.

I mean, look what the people who left did. David S. Cohen left halfway through S10 and is responsible for Futurama. Greg Daniels left in S9; he's responsible for King of the Hill, Parks & Rec, and The Office. Brad Bird was one of the original Klasky Csupo guys, also left in S9, and instead wrote and directed things like the Iron Giant, Ratatouille, and the Incredibles.

Basically the show either started with or soon added a seriously deep bench of talent, and once those people started to leave those are tough positions to fill.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Jan 16, 2018

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

theflyingorc posted:

My personally opinion is that the turning point is the episode where Kid Rock guest stars as himself and sings part of "Ba Wit Da Ba"

There are good jokes in that episode but it's pretty safe to stop.

That's the episode where they mention they're banned from the state they actually live in...

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Memento posted:

You Only Move Twice is the best episode of the Simpsons and if anyone disagrees I will tell them I respect their opinion but secretly think less of them.

The scenes where Albert Brooks was just winging it and you could tell that Dan Castellaneta was just going along with it rather than following a script are so great.

That, and the subtle call-back when Bart gets chided by the remedial class teacher for "having a case of the s'posedas", and then all the way in the next act when the secret agent is escaping and Scorpio says "Stop him, he's s'poseda die!"; I swear on my life that was intentional.

Finally, until recently I'd only ever seen the episode in syndication, so I'd never seen the full "Got any sugar?" scene and had missed out on Homer's great delivery at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlwFuQ_7kVc

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Jan 16, 2018

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ugh already posted

Basticle has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jan 16, 2018

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/realhartman/status/952963882108141568

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

Mezzanine posted:

The scenes where Albert Brooks was just winging it and you could tell that Dan Castellaneta was just going along with it rather than following a script are so great.

That, and the subtle call-back when Bart gets chided by the remedial class teacher for "having a case of the s'posedas", and then all the way in the next act when the secret agent is escaping and Scorpio says "Stop him, he's s'poseda die!"; I swear on my life that was intentional.

Finally, until recently I'd only ever seen the episode in syndication, so I'd never seen the full "Got any sugar?" scene and had missed out on Homer's great delivery at the end:

I did a shitpost video with the "hang up my coat" scene only the coat was a lemon. It's in this compilation which I think I posted before, but I don't remember: https://youtu.be/4oQgqVeCItc

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Shai-Hulud posted:

Is there really room for improvement in oral sex? When do you reach the point where you have your donger in a womans mouth and just think "meh, this just doesn't do it for me anymore. i wish there was some sort of fruit involved".
"This needs more acid involved."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

False, I only watched the show last year. It's obvious when it gets bad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Knormal posted:

"This needs more acid involved."

What's a little acid reflux amongst friends

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Mezzanine posted:

That's a shame that you only just now got to see it. It's one of the all-time greatest Simpsons moments, for me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

False, I only watched the show last year. It's obvious when it gets bad.
If you look at the episode list it's really obvious too. You go from stone-cold classic episodes to ok episodes to not very good episodes to total crap within the span of a season and a half.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
:piaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

If you look at the episode list it's really obvious too. You go from stone-cold classic episodes to ok episodes to not very good episodes to total crap within the span of a season and a half.

Yep.

Season 8, episode 2 is You Only Move Twice.

Season 9 has great episodes like The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson and Trash of the Titans, but also the one with Armin Tamzarian and the one where Bart and Homer become carnies.

By season 10 we have an episode about Homer stalking Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger.