Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

Star Citizen will never disappoint anyone?

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wamdoodle posted:

What the heck was he describing here anyway?

Docking.

In space.

Not that kind of docking.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

Docking.

In space.

Not that kind of docking.

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts promised that in version 3.2, including monitoring every blood cell that engorges the wieners so they are all unique

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts promised that in version 3.2, including monitoring every blood cell that engorges the wieners so they are all unique

Finally.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pitdragon posted:

never let anyone tell you that winners don't use drugs

Winners do all the coke, all of it.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Why did I recieve "Corporation" recruitment email via RSI's main email adresse to a game that isn't out and the parts that are out are so loving boring I could only really endure it for 15 minutes one time.

https://imgur.com/a/FUaq5

Yeah I'll definitely join you guys. Elysian Allience sounds like a winner. I'll definitely come and hang out on your discord allience server. We can talk about Star citizen and all the fun things we can do in the verse like

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Pooned posted:

Why did I recieve "Corporation" recruitment email via RSI's main email adresse to a game that isn't out and the parts that are out are so loving boring I could only really endure it for 15 minutes one time.

https://imgur.com/a/FUaq5

Yeah I'll definitely join you guys. Elysian Allience sounds like a winner. I'll definitely come and hang out on your discord allience server. We can talk about Star citizen and all the fun things we can do in the verse like

I like how he talks as though there's currently an actual game to play. It's mind blowing to think about how intensely you would have to delude yourself in order to continue backing this poo poo.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Beefeater posted:

I like how he talks as though there's currently an actual game to play. It's mind blowing to think about how intensely you would have to delude yourself in order to continue backing this poo poo.

LOL they talk about "game mechanics" like theres an actual game.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
Is there a crisis of faith among the crazy people who couldn't stop throwing money at this project? Even if you toss out the insane promises they don't even got a portion of a functional game and the limited gameplay they have been willing to show looks like boring garbage

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Whatev posted:

Is there a crisis of faith among the crazy people who couldn't stop throwing money at this project? Even if you toss out the insane promises they don't even got a portion of a functional game and the limited gameplay they have been willing to show looks like boring garbage

If you bring up how long the game has been in development, most will sincerely reply with how the game has only been in development for about two years and that everything is going right on schedule.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Anyone know if CIG plans to add a weight gain mechanic to player models, and if so, whether or not there will be a cap on how much weight a player can gain? Also, will there be a way to force feed slaves that you happen to capture on your star adventures?

Asking for a friend.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Whatev posted:

If anything they are more faithful.

Faith is directly proportional to amount spent on concept art.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
most doomsday cults (that dont kill themselves) can make it through a few disappointments

quote:

Social scientists have found that while some group members will leave after the date for a doomsday prediction by the leader has passed uneventfully, others actually feel their belief and commitment to the group strengthened. Often when a group's doomsday prophecies or predictions fail to come true, the group leader will simply set a new date for impending doom, or predict a different type of catastrophe on a different date.[15] Niederhoffer and Kenner say: "When you have gone far out on a limb and so many people have followed you, and there is much "sunk cost," as economists would say, it is difficult to admit you have been wrong."[16]

In Experiments With People: Revelations from Social Psychology, Abelson, Frey and Gregg explain this further: "...continuing to proselytize on behalf of a doomsday cult whose prophecies have been disconfirmed, although it makes little logical sense, makes plenty of psychological sense if people have already spent months proselytizing on the cult's behalf. Persevering allows them to avoid the embarrassment of how wrong they were in the first place."[17] The common-held belief in a catastrophic event occurring on a future date can have the effect of ingraining followers with a sense of uniqueness and purpose.[18] In addition, after a failed prophecy members may attempt to explain the outcome through rationalization and dissonance reduction.[10][19][20]

Explanations may include stating that the group members had misinterpreted the leader's original plan, that the cataclysmic event itself had been postponed to a later date by the leader, or that the activities of the group itself had forestalled disaster.[10] In the case of the Festinger study, when the prophecy of a cataclysmic flood was proved false, the members pronounced that their faith in God had prevented the event. They then proceeded to attempt to convert new members with renewed strength.[13]

the mormon rapture is like 200 years overdue but theres still millions of them and theyve got billions of dollars, people could still be waiting for this game in 2218

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

a new study bible! posted:

If you bring up how long the game has been in development, most will sincerely reply with how the game has only been in development for about two years and that everything is going right on schedule.

Gonna start applying this philosophy to my own work objectives. I'll let you know how it goes!

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I am in an intense dogfight to protect my virtual space land purchase, when a risky aerial maneuver puts me through one g too many and I violently poo poo my entire body's contents into my space suit with such pressure that it ruptures my suit and sprays hot liquid poo poo all over the cockpit at 10 frames per second. Each and every droplet of poo poo is lovingly rendered and programmed with lifelike physics and for a moment I am amazed by the detail put into the glistening turd-slime even as I begin to puke all over my beautifully rendered cock and balls, seconds before I crash into my privately owned virtual land and die.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 15, 2018

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It's weird to me that none of real game studios have gotten on the space sim bandwagon. The SC whales don't actually want a "game" but I for one would play the hell out of a fun space game that wasn't a tiny Indy or spreadsheet space trucking simulator. Why don't they make rogue squadrons anymore?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Skeleton King posted:

I am in an intense dogfight to protect my virtual space land purchase, when a risky aerial maneuver puts me through one g too many and I violently poo poo my entire body's contents into my space suit with such pressure that it ruptures my suit and sprays hot liquid poo poo all over the cockpit at 10 frames per second. Each and every droplet of poo poo is lovingly rendered and programmed with lifelike physics and for a moment I am amazed by the detail put into the glistening turd-slime even as I begin to puke all over my beautifully rendered cock and balls, seconds before I crash into my privately owned virtual land and die.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Duckbox posted:

It's weird to me that none of real game studios have gotten on the space sim bandwagon. The SC whales don't actually want a "game" but I for one would play the hell out of a fun space game that wasn't a tiny Indy or spreadsheet space trucking simulator. Why don't they make rogue squadrons anymore?

This. I've half a mind to buy Battlefront II because I hear that the space combat part of the game loving rules. Maybe---juuuuuuust maybe---this will convince EA and other major studios to start making space combat sims again.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

The Skeleton King posted:

This is fine because some players will inevitably see a hole in the economy and start a space drycleaning service, such that you bring your soiled space suit in and they will clean the blood and feces from the inside of it (this will be an in-depth minigame, of course). Once the business takes off, they can employ other lesser citizens to do the cleaning while concentrating more about the management and administration of the burgeoning corporation.

THIS IS WHAT STAR CITIZENS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Serak posted:

This is fine because some players will inevitably see a hole in the economy and start a space drycleaning service, such that you bring your soiled space suit in and they will clean the blood and feces from the inside of it (this will be an in-depth minigame, of course). Once the business takes off, they can employ other lesser citizens to do the cleaning while concentrating more about the management and administration of the burgeoning corporation.

THIS IS WHAT STAR CITIZENS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

This. I've half a mind to buy Battlefront II because I hear that the space combat part of the game loving rules. Maybe---juuuuuuust maybe---this will convince EA and other major studios to start making space combat sims again.

The dogfighting was the best part of the first battlefront and it always felt like that could just be its own game. I think the "sim" part of space sims is a trap. I loved Freespace, but the last couple times I tried replaying it, I got as far as having to remap a dozen keys to work with my laptop keyboard and just went "ugh" and stopped. I don't need or want 30 different context sensitive keys to do fun flying stuff. It's such a weird throwback to the early flight sims and it's really dumb considering console flight games figured out how to do the same poo poo with like ten inputs back in the 90s.

I feel the same way about hours of space trucking and huge empty procgen planets. Fast travel and compressed map design are standard in sandbox games for a reason.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Duckbox posted:

The dogfighting was the best part of the first battlefront and it always felt like that could just be its own game. I think the "sim" part of space sims is a trap. I loved Freespace, but the last couple times I tried replaying it, I got as far as having to remap a dozen keys to work with my laptop keyboard and just went "ugh" and stopped. I don't need or want 30 different context sensitive keys to do fun flying stuff. It's such a weird throwback to the early flight sims and it's really dumb considering console flight games figured out how to do the same poo poo with like ten inputs back in the 90s.

I feel the same way about hours of space trucking and huge empty procgen planets. Fast travel and compressed map design are standard in sandbox games for a reason.

The needless flight sim sperg stuff in Elite turned me off, too. That, and it made me motion sick.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Duckbox posted:

Frontier has a real problem with listening to the forumdad grogs.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ can't we just set up some knockoff minecraft in space with a few default ship classes and retire off the profits already?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Breakfast Feud posted:

Jesus Christ can't we just set up some knockoff minecraft in space with a few default ship classes and retire off the profits already?

Space engineers?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Whatev posted:

Goons from the Games thread have engaged a large amount of super citizen backers and almost all of them admit that THEY ARE NOT PLAYING THE GAME AT ALL. All the do is theory-craft, throw $2-3K a year into it, and spend 6 hours a day defending its honor online. That's it. If you never boot up this garbage and see it for yourself, it's easy to drink the kool-aid that's it's revolutionary and everyone who criticizes it is just jealous, a paid EA shill, or a troll.

People saying that star citizens don't actually want a game are not even kidding. A large percentage of them also state that if SC were to fail tomorrow that's fine because their 10-15K contribution has advanced the human race forward, like the moon landing. They already got their money's worth.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 16, 2018

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Breakfast Feud posted:

I volunteer to be head of community engagement and rape "jokes."

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I volunteer to pretend to be a marketing genius and not do anything while I work on my acting career.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'll start the wiki.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'll start creeping on women involved in this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I mean, continue.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
is the Chris Sandi divorce for real? Please say yes...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Duckbox posted:

new phone who dis posted:

The needless flight sim sperg stuff in Elite turned me off, too. That, and it made me motion sick.

I like some of the keyboard sperg, but I grew up and cut my gaming teeth on games like X-Wing and flight combat sims. Power management helps a ton in those games, and being able to switch between targets and navpoints takes up key functions. I do admit that losing some of that customization would probably help make the games more accessible, easier to learn, and more fun to just pick up again after a while.

Travel in Elite: Dangerous is a fuckin' bitch. They made it a little easier, but you still have to play a long, drawn out game of interstellar hopscotch around the galaxy to get from one point to the other.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rad Russian posted:

Goons from the Games thread have engaged a large amount of super citizen backers and almost all of them admit that THEY ARE NOT PLAYING THE GAME AT ALL. All the do is theory-craft, throw $2-3K a year into it, and spend 6 hours a day defending its honor online. That's it. If you never boot up this garbage and see it for yourself, it's easy to drink the kool-aid that's it's revolutionary and everyone who criticizes it is just jealous, a paid EA shill, or a troll.

People saying that star citizens don't actually want a game are not even kidding. A large percentage of them also state that if SC were to fail tomorrow that's fine because their 10-15K contribution has advanced the human race forward, like the moon landing. They already got their money's worth.

Seriously, though... from their perspective, they are supporting an ambitious and massive artistic enterprise and having a whole crop of game artists able to work on a massive nerdy-as-gently caress passion project by the guy that gave us the whole slew of Wing Commander games and Freelancer. As insane as it is, it is actually a wonderful thing in itself even if nothing else happens but getting to see a bunch of overproduced FMV and some buggy tech demos... I just hope that the exec team at CIG has enough chops to stretch that cash out until they have a proper game at the end.

It's crowd sourced artistic patronage, not a financial investment.

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

osirisisdead posted:

I just hope that the exec team at CIG has enough chops to stretch that cash out until they have a proper game at the end.
This but ironically.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

osirisisdead posted:

Seriously, though... from their perspective, they are supporting an ambitious and massive artistic enterprise and having a whole crop of game artists able to work on a massive nerdy-as-gently caress passion project by the guy that gave us the whole slew of Wing Commander games and Freelancer. As insane as it is, it is actually a wonderful thing in itself even if nothing else happens but getting to see a bunch of overproduced FMV and some buggy tech demos... I just hope that the exec team at CIG has enough chops to stretch that cash out until they have a proper game at the end.

It's crowd sourced artistic patronage, not a financial investment.

There are people who have spent their life savings on this dumb rear end thing which is obviously never coming out even 10% as intended lol

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's like if you donated to build the Louvre and you got the Piss Christ thing on a shelf

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aesop Poprock posted:

There are people who have spent their life savings on this dumb rear end thing which is obviously never coming out even 10% as intended lol

I think it was more like... CIG ?RSI? idk got 10 (100 idk I don't remember the details) times as much cash as they expected and it broke their collective brain.

Moxxis Endowment posted:

This but ironically.

One of the best LAN parties of my adolescence was a 30 hour Freelancer binge, so I will unironically root for these guys even though I'm not throwing them large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

osirisisdead posted:

One of the best LAN parties of my adolescence was a 30 hour Freelancer binge, so I will unironically root for these guys even though I'm not throwing them large.

I am seriously curious what might come out of the other end of this whole process. There's obviously no way they're going to deliver on 90% of the idiotic poo poo that people want / they've promised, but I'm curious what the remaining 10% would look like. Like if they actually make poo poo work properly, start focusing on making something playable, and start deciding what dumb poo poo to cut.

Or it'll all go poof, with the money having safely been stored away in a nice carribean account or two. v:shobon:v