Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ :gonk:

Don't go down the idol rabbit hole. You won't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

These fans do realize that pop stars aren't their friends, right?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

coconono posted:

These fans do realize that pop stars aren't their friends, right?

No, their thinking is "Hey, I supported you by buying your stuff, so unless you will be MY girlfriend you'd better stay single/virgin for the rest of your life or I'll hate you to death".

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Reminder that Perfect Blue didn't really embellish the whole idol otaku thing at all. And that was twenty years ago.

In fact, because of the preponderance of live streams and social media, things are probably exponentially worse, since there's a constant stream of stuff they're sharing from their personal life which is only going to deepen that sort of mindset in some people's minds.

Most fans will be like "yay, good for you" (her verifying the relationship is now literally the most popular tweet she's done and the thread is like 99.9% congratulations and "go for it") because they're not desperately broken people, but, as has been said:

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like all internet based things across the world I imagine most aren't real but all it takes is one crazy to act on it

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/952784009569775616 Year seems to be continuing on a hot start.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

osaka always sells out they shouldve moved the junior title match or something to the second sapporo show. kenny has no support on that card

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

They hosed up bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Reminder that Perfect Blue didn't really embellish the whole idol otaku thing at all. And that was twenty years ago.

In fact, because of the preponderance of live streams and social media, things are probably exponentially worse, since there's a constant stream of stuff they're sharing from their personal life which is only going to deepen that sort of mindset in some people's minds.

And because groups like AKB-48 have built an empire on accessibility even more than before. It’s a disgusting empire, but an empire it is.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

The Cameo posted:

Mimori Suzuko. She was the voice of RE.M.

edit: also, when I mention dealing with nuts, imagine more and more demented versions of the guy in this pic:

https://twitter.com/Gooseps_/status/952489828293271553

im gonna go one better and actually burn the shiny embroidered OkadaPants i ordered after wrestle kingdom

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Okada with pants make me like him a little less :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I love Okada's pants.

All hail the Long Golden Boys

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He needs to get even longer, wider pants. Just tape together two of those windsocks they have at the airport.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just realised that Okada/SANADA is a match up between the two worst outfit changes of the last year. Longboys vs stupid bull mask. Whoever loses should be forced to revert to their previous look and so should the winner.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Most fans will be like "yay, good for you" (her verifying the relationship is now literally the most popular tweet she's done and the thread is like 99.9% congratulations and "go for it") because they're not desperately broken people, but, as has been said:

I remember Cracked wrote a pretty good article some time back about the idol groups in S. Korea and Japan. Here's an excerpt that seems pretty insane:

quote:

According to Ricky: "Everyone knows idols are human beings and have human relationships. But as long as that fact is under wraps, everyone can operate under the kayfabe of plausible deniability and keep the fantasy alive -- the fantasy that they have a chance with the girl. But if there are undeniable facts out there showing that the idol IS in a relationship, then the kayfabe doesn't work anymore." And the consequences of that can be horrifying.

In 2013, Minami Minegishi, a core member of AKB48 (probably the biggest and most famous idol group in Japan), was caught leaving the house of a boy band member after spending the night with him. As punishment, Minegishi was demoted to the group's "trainee" team, and forced to apologize while crying her eyes out on their YouTube channel for her "thoughtless deed" of being a normal 20-year-old. She was also (most likely) forced to shave her loving head.

There was another thing I read, and it might have been on SA, about how some groups pump up their sales by giving tickets to meet n' greets with CD's, and dudes buy the tickets, go to a public restroom nearby before the event, beat off on their hands and then shake some poor idol's hand, because it's the closest they're ever getting to sexual contact with that woman. hosed up.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 15, 2018

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

flashy_mcflash posted:

He needs to get even longer, wider pants. Just tape together two of those windsocks they have at the airport.

rainmaker raver pipes so wide it looks like he's wearing an enormous embroidered skirt.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
He should wrestle in a pair of JNCOs.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Please stop ruining okada with worse pants, show some skin man.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

Please stop ruining okada with worse pants, show some skin man.

Compromise: gigantic wide leg pants but they're completely transparent.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember Cracked wrote a pretty good article some time back about the idol groups in S. Korea and Japan. Here's an excerpt that seems pretty insane:

There was another thing I read, and it might have been on SA, about how some groups pump up their sales by giving tickets to meet n' greets with CD's, and dudes buy the tickets, go to a public restroom nearby before the event, beta off on their hands and then shake some poor idol's hand, because it's the closest they're ever getting to sexual contact with that woman. hosed up.

Packing in lottery codes for concerts/meet and greets is like standard operating procedure in Japan/Korea/maybe China, I've never bought music from China directly so I don't know. I don't think I've ever bought an Asian CD in the last decade or so that hasn't had one and that's been picking through a reasonable variety of genres (it's very weird to order an album a few years old, getting it, and finding an outdated lottery ticket code on the inside). It's also something of a security measure, since agencies and record labels and the venue get information on every single attendee (never mind the data they get on every purchaser who actually uses the code) - which goes down to house number, ward, prefecture, phone number, age, gender, basically enough stuff to run against a criminal database. It also gives ticketing services like e-plus, which honestly feels like it's hosted on a server powered by handcrank, an idea of their maximum expected load, on top of the whole "juiced sales" thing.

Trying to put the suggestion in readers' heads that the agency had that singer shave her head in contrition is a bit of a stretch (not that I expect much better from Cracked). Their control could only go as far as the public apology. If an agency could make an artist go so far to shave their head? There'd have been a lot more bald idols in the last decade. This is a somewhat common "scandal", honestly, enough of one that paparazzi have a tendency to follow these idols around in hopes of catching these sorts of moments.

The "dudes jerking off and shaking a cummy hand with their idol" thing is a true thing, though. And it's really hosed up. At the very least there's hand sanitizer at those things.

harperdc posted:

And because groups like AKB-48 have built an empire on accessibility even more than before. It’s a disgusting empire, but an empire it is.

Accessibility and a rotating cast to keep it perpetually young and fresh. It's a hell of a machine they've got there - if only it wasn't a grain thresher for the mental and physical state of the women involved.

I mean, Jurina, the "ambassador" for Wrestle Kingdom this year, is only twenty and she's been at this for nine years already.

Of course she's only got like four more years before the agency goes "probably time to replace her". Gotta love that weird quarter-century limit Japanese culture has on the "worthwhileness" of women!

Anyway, wonder if New Japan will sell out Sapporo at all this year. Splitting into two nights might have been a mistake. Although Kenny/Juice did sell out Kobe Hall and that's got the same capacity and that was like the only major singles match on that show.

Then again, Juice is over and Jay White... isn't, yet.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The Cameo posted:

which honestly feels like it's hosted on a server powered by handcrank, an idea of their maximum expected load,

I can't figure out if that sentence is incredibly inappropriate or appropriate given the subject matter.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Compromise: gigantic wide leg pants but they're completely transparent.

Impossible: all of Okada's gear must be as sparkly as possible, and transparent pants would be less sparkly than his current gear.

I'm almost convinced he did it because his jacket had achieved peak sparkle and so he needed more space for sparkles.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They asked him about the pants in the post-match press conference and he just laughed and was like "I wanted to try something different," so I wonder if it was just a one-off.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Cameo posted:

Anyway, wonder if New Japan will sell out Sapporo at all this year. Splitting into two nights might have been a mistake. Although Kenny/Juice did sell out Kobe Hall and that's got the same capacity and that was like the only major singles match on that show.

I think Kenny might be approaching the standalone draw level for New Japan and the Switchblade double cross at New Year Dash got a pretty huge reaction. I wonder if being the only person to ever turn down Bullet Club and declare open war will be the thing that makes White's return click.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Of course she's only got like four more years before the agency goes "probably time to replace her". Gotta love that weird quarter-century limit Japanese culture has on the "worthwhileness" of women!

What do women and Christmas cakes have in common? No good after the 25th

Japan’s image of women encapsulated in joke form.

I should probably re-up to NJPW World huh.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

I feel like Juice vs Tana would've been a better call for WK, actually. Play into Tanahashi's male idol thing, and have Juice be the new hotness, talking poo poo about how the girls want him more because he's young and exotic.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Okada took the pants on tour
https://twitter.com/therealfredo/status/952606800708120576

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Long Boys.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Cameo posted:

I thought the latest word was Osaka was sold out and Sapporo night one was ahead of schedule. Not sure where night 2 (Kenny/Knife Perv) stands. If no news then probably not great, but we'll see.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okada going Lucha heel with Long Boys would be anm awesome stable yes

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
His hair matches his long boys too well

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like Juice vs Tana would've been a better call for WK, actually. Play into Tanahashi's male idol thing, and have Juice be the new hotness, talking poo poo about how the girls want him more because he's young and exotic.

Juice vs Tanahashi-senpai would have been great, I want to see Juice feud with Ishii now, gives them both something to do other then tags. Juice would learn a lot from working with Stone Pitbull and accelerate his already fantastic in ring growth.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Gaz-L posted:

Funny thing is the girls actually want EVIL

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

checksin posted:

His hair matches his long boys too well

I'm pretty sure this is most of the problem with those goddamn things. If he was rocking something other than golden blonde or had a different or just more color in those pants, people wouldn't be like "oh god what are you doing".

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Maybe it was obvious on the broadcast but the cat Hiromu brought out at WK wasn't Daryl

https://twitter.com/milano_c_at/status/948862702515929089

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Have any of the fantasticamania cards so far been broadcast?

:edit: Sorry just saw the front page :doh:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

Maybe it was obvious on the broadcast but the cat Hiromu brought out at WK wasn't Daryl

https://twitter.com/milano_c_at/status/948862702515929089

Yeah, it was Daryl Jr.'s PPV debut

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shouldn't it be el hijo de Daryl?

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Took me too long to realise that's Milano Collection AT's account and not Daryl's son's own gimmick as Milano CAT.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
when do the long boys and knife pervert team up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

when do the long boys and knife pervert team up

They aren't teaming on the New Beginning tour. NJPW have thankfully been finding the absolute least appropriate members of CHAOS for Switchblade to team with, so he's tagging with Roppongi 3K and Toru Yano.