Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Ragnarok is the poo poo, although a local version would look better and be less buggy. (It's alternately called Ragnarok or Valhalla.) It's got a great plot, though; you have to go around fixing all the lovely things that happened in Norse mythology (give Tyr an extra arm, find Frey's sword, fix the death of Baldur) so the world will be in good enough shape to actually survive during Ragnarok.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm not exactly an ADOM expert but I know some about it.

Unimpressed posted:

Finally, a meta question, given ADOM has been out there forever and it's super spoilery, should questions about ADOM be spoiler protected as above?
I don't see much point in spoiler tagging everything about ADOM. Maybe for ultra ending stuff (nobody's gonna do an ultra ending without being spoiled anyways) or for the new endings added in version 3, but certainly not basic game mechanics.

quote:

crowning
If you find an altar early on in a level that spawns enemies, and if you have a good source of food (stomafillia or lots of cooked lizards or maybe a staff of nourishment), you can theoretically crown as soon as you find it depending on your tolerance for tedium. Just run laps around the level waiting for monster spawns and kite them over to the altar. As your character level increases, the piety for sacrificing chump monsters like goblins decreases, so past the early game this becomes less of an option and your main route is gonna be sacrificing gold.

You can only sacrifice about 10 stomafillia herbs before you get a funny message and the god stops accepting them.

You probably shouldn't crown chaotic. Instead, convert to neutral or possibly lawful. For low level PCs, it's very easy to convert your alignment to that of an altar by making repeated lovely low-value sacrifices on it (sac 1 gold at a time). Being chaotic kinda sucks in general and crowning pretty much locks you into your alignment. Crowning as chaotic also "gifts" you with a bunch of corruptions on top of the normal crowning effects. (If you're willing to scum for an early crowning and you find an altar on a good level, it's probably even worth converting from lawful to neutral or vice versa to make use of it.)

There are some special considerations for crowning if you want an ultra ending: Ultra endings require several mandatory alignment changes, and you must put off crowning until you're done with them. You can safely crown as neutral or lawful after recieving Gaab'Bay's second quest, but you can't crown as chaotic until after receiving the Trident of the Red Rooster.

quote:

herbs
They will still raise your stats to the potential limit, just not past it. But eating them all at once is wasteful. It's best to use/eat 2-4 at a time depending on BUC, just enough for one stat increase. After you get a message about your stats increasing from training, eat 2-4 more, and so on until you reach your potential maximum. Then throw everything left into the garbage. Or maybe hold onto them in case some dickwad lich drains your stats.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

chaotic crowning blows for all those reasons but also if you go early chaotic crowning you're missing out on tome of donor buffs and ice queen domain quests, a.k.a. 4 free cure corruption potions, some stats, and a crack at a greater vault and a bunch of giant corpse drops. rolf maybe also doesn't like chaotic people but i don't know much about rolf quest stuff

fun fact morgia b/u/c doesnt matter. chow down on cursed ones all you want

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I refunded Slay the Spire after a bit less than two hours when it first came out, as it just seemed to expect me to game the mechanics and encounters much more than dream quest or monster slayers - and it wasn't as fun to do it as in either for some reason.

in a similar vein, Nowhere Prophet sounds really cool (RPS just wrote about it), but it's only on itch.io, and I don't think I'm going to drop 20 bucks on it without a refund option: https://sharkbombs.itch.io/nowhere-prophet

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Slay the spire is roguelike dominion.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

Thanks for un-selling me on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some bad advice being given on ADOM in here. The gods do not appreciate it when you try giving them food bought from the ratling vendors. Don't do it. Stomafillia has also been nerfed, in that you can only get so much piety from it before the gods start refusing it; I think you can still save up one huge stack of blessed and burn it at once, though.

The best way to get crowned is to save up a bunch of sis and sacrifice them along with useless artifacts like Big Punch. But don't do it until level 16 at the least, so you can clear the Pyramid and equip the Ancient Mummy Wrapping. When you're crowned you get a random elemental immunity that you don't already have; cold is the worst one to get because it's so easy to get elsewhere. Fire is the most useful in the long term, but there's also multiple ways to get that. The hardest immunity to get naturally is acid, which only comes from eating a rare corpse, so most people try to game it by having fire, cold and lightning immunity when they are crowned.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

please knock Mom! posted:

Monster slayers is muuuuch more like playing spin decks in Dominion.

I'd say it's a good bit more forgiving than dream quest, especially dq on hard. The problem is you don't know what enemies or boss you'll encounter so you can get absolutely hosed by that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Klaus Kinski posted:

Monster slayers is muuuuch more like playing spin decks in Dominion.

I'd say it's a good bit more forgiving than dream quest, especially dq on hard. The problem is you don't know what enemies or boss you'll encounter so you can get absolutely hosed by that.
Russian roulette is much more forgiving than boxing, because you only get hit some of the time.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Currently the main thing in Slay the Spire is that there are some trash tier cards that look good to newbies (in all rarities not just commons), and some god level cards that just are auto buys and totally change your chances of victory if you get (Apotheosis I'm looking at you).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Every time I read about adom strategies I get irrationally annoyed. What a loving obtuse game.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

victrix posted:

Every time I read about adom strategies I get irrationally annoyed. What a loving obtuse game.

I just ignore most of it and just try to get as far as possible. Like I don't care about first kill or if I'm getting to the Pyramid on time or stuff like that. The number one thing I think about when starting a new game is how likely am I to reach the Infinite Dungeon or Small Cave without horribly dying in a wilderness encounter. Or to reach the CoC. I've died on the way and I'm still upset about that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

SettingSun posted:

I just ignore most of it and just try to get as far as possible. Like I don't care about first kill or if I'm getting to the Pyramid on time or stuff like that. The number one thing I think about when starting a new game is how likely am I to reach the Infinite Dungeon or Small Cave without horribly dying in a wilderness encounter. Or to reach the CoC. I've died on the way and I'm still upset about that.

Walk in swamps as little as possible. Stay of the road tiles entirely.

Yea, ADOM is obtuse and punishes you for walking on the loving road.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
slay the spire is good and fun. it's mostly about deckbuilding, which is the most fun part of card games

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

slay the spire is good and fun. it's mostly about deckbuilding, which is the most fun part of card games

Check out Card Quest for a completely antithetical view on that. There is almost no deckbuilding involved, just some packs of loadouts that work mainly individually. Instead the classes play very differently and often times it feels more like a puzzle game with cards and combat than a card game.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

The best way to get crowned is to save up a bunch of sis and sacrifice them along with useless artifacts like Big Punch.

this is bad advice. big punch is the best weapon your character is likely to find for the entire run and you should be using it, not saccing it. also you should sell sis for gold and sac that instead of weighing your poo poo down by having a bunch of sis around, unless maybe you're a race that gets bad waldenbrook prices but even then it doesn't really matter.

also optimizing the immunity you get from crowning isn't super important if your crowning gifts aren't complete garbage, because getting a useful artifact at level 5 is way more helpful for your survival than getting whatever immunity at level 16, especially since immunities aren't that important due to resists being stupid strong and 100% guaranteed unless you're a mist elf who is being sad and not getting immune to pain. two resists, which is easy to get for the most part via intrinsics and ele gauntlets reduces damage to like 1/9th and there's not much in the game that can do more than tickle you through that. additionally even with mummy wrapping you're still 2/3rds chance of getting an immunity that is mostly useless for a normal win (nothing with acid is dangerous unless you dip into the merchant's guild, nothing with electricity is scary unless you do blue dragon caves). if you have alertness they're even less useful, only good for dodging vortices.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

not doing pyramid is taunting the RNG into never giving you death ray resist as a random drop. also see invis. the ankh is also the best general use amulet your character is likely to find. rehetep sends you snailmail to tell you when you can swing by and thrundarr's second quest gives you a fireball wand that all the mummies are weak to so it's usually really easy to do! go kill that mummy!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I just meant that I play most runs turn by turn, since thinking of the big picture stresses me out since I'm not good at the game. I figure I can get experience with the game just trying to survive rather than trying to be optimal every time. Gotta learn walk before you run. This mindset has gotten me as far as the Tomb of the High Kings, where I embarrassingly died via piranhas.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I just meant that I play most runs turn by turn, since thinking of the big picture stresses me out since I'm not good at the game. I figure I can get experience with the game just trying to survive rather than trying to be optimal every time. Gotta learn walk before you run. This mindset has gotten me as far as the Tomb of the High Kings, where I embarrassingly died via piranhas.

the good news is the routing for runs is pretty set so once you get it down it's a lot less stressful because you'll know exactly what the thing you should do is for the most part. also owned those piranhas do like 200d2 damage per turn or something. once i forgot to check my weight when crossing an ice bridge there and took like 350 damage instantly. i barely survived in game, and irl since that was my furthest character at that point and i had twenty heart attacks

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jedit posted:

The gods do not appreciate it when you try giving them food bought from the ratling vendors. Don't do it. Stomafillia has also been nerfed, in that you can only get so much piety from it before the gods start refusing it; I think you can still save up one huge stack of blessed and burn it at once, though.

I never said to sacrifice food. I said you need to have food (to eat, so you don't starve) if you want to spend an hour boringly luring kobolds onto the first altar you find to get an early crowning/precrowning.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

not doing pyramid is taunting the RNG into never giving you death ray resist as a random drop. also see invis. the ankh is also the best general use amulet your character is likely to find. rehetep sends you snailmail to tell you when you can swing by and thrundarr's second quest gives you a fireball wand that all the mummies are weak to so it's usually really easy to do! go kill that mummy!

Traps breaking all your poo poo is annoying, though, so you might want to plan ahead and join the thieves' guild in Llawenilotehl (sp?), then learn the detect traps skill early enough to put some level-up skill points in it. Funnily enough, you can do this without committing a single chaotic act, though they reject lawfuls.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I never said to sacrifice food. I said you need to have food (to eat, so you don't starve) if you want to spend an hour boringly luring kobolds onto the first altar you find to get an early crowning/precrowning.

Traps breaking all your poo poo is annoying, though, so you might want to plan ahead and join the thieves' guild in Llawenilotehl (sp?), then learn the detect traps skill early enough to put some level-up skill points in it. Funnily enough, you can do this without committing a single chaotic act, though they reject lawfuls.

the hottest tech of all: just calling bandit town Hole in the Wall because it's an impossible to remember word jumble. pickpocketing is boring to do and i mostly don't bother anymore but it's definitely the optimal strat. at this point i just walk into all the traps and drat the consequences. or hope i get a detect traps wand. really hope i get some detect traps wands by the time i do ice queen domain. really, really hope i have a few by mana temple. or just have alertness and walk into everything because alertness is OP.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The encounters are worse on the road tiles.

I

There I reasons I hate ADOM. Another for the list.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Had a level 34 dwarf warrior who would've stomped D:50 die to the big bad at the end of the Rolf Quest since I fought him unspoiled. Use your prayers! Dead characters have no use for piety.

I'm personally really liking the new content. Yeah, ADOM's a trainwreck of a game, but it just scratches certain itches.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DoomRL: Trying to figure out the best class for UV Ao100. My thought is either lug a shotgun around until I can go melee or go for scavenger and hope for a nano pack so I don't have to worry about ammo. Whizkid access seems important because gently caress Ao100 without cerb boots at the very least.

I really want to try a Scavenger run once but you're so slow to get off the ground.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 16, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stelas posted:

DoomRL: Trying to figure out the best class for UV Ao100. My thought is either lug a shotgun around until I can go melee or go for scavenger and hope for a nano pack so I don't have to worry about ammo. Whizkid access seems important because gently caress Ao100 without cerb boots at the very least.

I really want to try a Scavenger run once but you're so slow to get off the ground.

I did UV Ao100 + AoMC, if that helps -- rolled a Scout for Intuition 2 + Cateye, which make AoMC a lot more tractable. AoMC changes the calculus considerably, though.

I did HMP Ao100 as a scavenger technician, and that went ok, but honestly I found scavenger to be almost completely useless. Scavenging ordinary modpacks doesn't make much of a difference in Ao100 because you'll find lots of plain modpacks anyways, and weapons that you can scavenge exotic modpacks are pretty rare even in Ao100.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the use case for Scavenger is. It would be a lot more attractive if you could scavenge exotic armour for modpacks and plain armour for armour shards or something.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, I can get pretty far without AoMC (up to about floor 50) but then ammo became a real, real problem, and AoMC's a bit swingy for me. A Berserking Vampyre got pretty far but the lack of Hellrunner and the sheer amount of lava and acid you run into on Ao100 did him in. Malicious Blades would probably suit my style a bit more, it's just so dull to get started.

The way I see it, Scavenger mostly lets you course-correct. Oh you made those slow as poo poo cerb boots and then found the phaseshift set? No worries, etc.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My ADOM story is I like to put on Yulgash and listen to him saying all this ADOM stuff I don't understand at all but makes me want to go play a roguelike so I play a different roguelike while listening to his soothing voice in the background.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

My ADOM story is I like to put on Yulgash and listen to him saying all this ADOM stuff I don't understand at all but makes me want to go play a roguelike so I play a different roguelike while listening to his soothing voice in the background.

grond is the best adom player that speaks english as a first language so yes watch him and ask him things if you want to get good. he's insanely good at adom.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm watching this dragon suicide by golem poo poo right now and it does not make me want to play ADOM but it does make me want to hear more about people completely breaking ADOM

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

linking the stream right before he does the world's most tedious mechanic abuse is pretty funny timing. new adom folks please know that this is extremely not necessary to do at all ever.

e: i mean unless you wanna go for turncount world records i guess

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For future historians reading this thread: He is currently in the process of repeatedly selling and re-buying a cheap artifact in order to make a shopkeeper level up (he gains several levels each time the player sells him an artifact), with the end goal of sacrificing the absurdly-high-level shopkeeper on an altar and getting enough xp to instantly jump to max level.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Not just max level but like capped xp, the full own 50/999999999

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Black August posted:

Not just max level but like capped xp, the full own 50/999999999

lmao

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DisDisDis posted:

I'm watching this dragon suicide by golem poo poo right now and it does not make me want to play ADOM but it does make me want to hear more about people completely breaking ADOM

I don't like playing roguelikes, really, but I love hearing about people beating the snot out of them

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Full admit for you though, dudes in the game are nearing like 600-1000 points by now though so the self-owns are coming from inside the thread

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

this is the only trick i really helped with early science on! noted crazy russian man YollaMist showed this strat first and we all tried ways to make it more consistent. the problem with it is, of course, that waldenbrook is roughly level 2000 when you aggro him and he has a ranged attack that will send your hp down to about -10,000 and never missed. i figured out an early version of the trick using door creation wands to mostly block LoS and also not get instantly gibbed by him moving next to you but it failed like 8% of the time which is not great when the trick takes that much time. grond and yolla and other dudes figured out 100% consistent versions later.

then the controls changed in one of the patches and my only lasting contribution which was pointing out that the key presses to do the trick was repeating PAYDAY, PAYDAY, PAYDAY over and over and over was cast into the sands of time. now it doesn't spell anythign funny at all. rip.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

grond did the trick successfully and then immediately accidentally slaughtered a dwarftown resident, changed alignment, and then became a fallen champion lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

the hottest tech of all: just calling bandit town Hole in the Wall because it's an impossible to remember word jumble.

I call the sheriff Rapey Twat for the same reason.

I'm getting the hang of ADOM again after years away. Lost my most recent character to a greater mimic in a mimic tension room in the COC, but I think that character was in trouble anyway because a fire vortex explosion turned the Arena Master hostile and I hadn't become champion yet. Clearing the Pyramid as a Wizard with no wand, 30HP and under 20PP when I had to go to the top floor was tense.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Lmao at how terrifying rivers are in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This guy's voice is not exactly soothing but at least he's calm and doesn't talk nonstop