Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

11% shooting would only be 3 more goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tyler Seguin is a bad, bad man.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Aphrodite posted:

11% shooting would only be 3 more goals.

And he would be on pace for the 15ish goals he got last season and the 17 in '14-'15 :shrug: I don't think he's done done, but slowing down a bit maybe/going through a tough patch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oops, I made a deal with the devil but he misunderstood.

I said "kill Bergevin" and he heard "kill that lady from a band I liked in the 90s"

My bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Tyler Seguin is a bad, bad man.

- Coming soon to TMZ.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Martytoof posted:

Oops, I made a deal with the devil but he misunderstood.

I said "kill Bergevin" and he heard "kill that lady from a band I liked in the 90s"

My bad.

:piss:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I ♥ Seguin

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

a very appropriate emote :golfclap:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
I know they're going to break my heart.

And I don't care. I'm going to enjoy this Avalanche team as long as I can.

:fap:

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Good. It was nothing.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

St. Dogbert posted:

Good. It was nothing.

If you call a head shot and knee'ing a player in the same hit 'nothing' then I guess :shrug:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Look Around You posted:

I’m worried about this with Murray too. His stuff has just been so mysterious. All the team has said so far is “personal reasons” and “he’s with his family in Canada and will release a statement when he’s ready.”

Murray is back in Pittsburgh and is going with the team on their west coast road trip - I suspect a family member died or something.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Isbergevinfiredyet.com

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Zaroff posted:

Murray is back in Pittsburgh and is going with the team on their west coast road trip - I suspect a family member died or something.

Oh is he? I guess I didn't see that update. Well that's good then!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nashville was great. New Orleans likewise.

I put on 7lbs in 10 days.

Fire Chiarelli.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

rex rabidorum vires posted:

If you call a head shot and knee'ing a player in the same hit 'nothing' then I guess :shrug:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames-carolina-hurricanes-recap-1.4487158 posted:

Peters said he didn't have an update on Aho's status after the game.

"Obviously there was some head contact. I don't know if there was much intent," Peters said. "I thought [Giordano's] arm was tucked in low but he ended up catching the head and that's unfortunate."

It was nothing.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Islanders offense is fun.

Their defense..... woof.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

It was nothing.

If it was nothing then why does Giordano get tossed?

https://twitter.com/brettfinger/status/952663203783331840

https://twitter.com/TheFanChild/status/952663142600814592

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

To say this was nothing is bullshit. Giordano might not have had a lot of speed coming into the hit, but he clearly pushes his knee forward to go for the knee on knee and then lifts his elbow to hit the head after initial contact. But hey, we can also tell Aho to keep his head up, because apparently that would have prevented the knee injury.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I didn't keep track of much in the league while the flyers were on that bye week, holy gently caress the avs won 7 straight? :stare:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've given up hockey for sumo wrestling.

For a sport where you watch fat men in diapers there is still less making GBS threads yourself than watching a Habs game.

(though legit, watch Sumo -- it's fun)

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

To say this was nothing is bullshit. Giordano might not have had a lot of speed coming into the hit, but he clearly pushes his knee forward to go for the knee on knee and then lifts his elbow to hit the head after initial contact. But hey, we can also tell Aho to keep his head up, because apparently that would have prevented the knee injury.

You're in fantasy land with "go for the knee" and "elbow to hit the head".

We should debate if the NHL should ever allow contact to the head; elsewhere it's not allowed even incidental to the hit. There's a huge price to pay for the kind of brain damage this causes and we probably should make it incumbent on this hitter to prevent these outcomes. But right now in NHL rules I'm not even sure this should have been a 5. Square to the chest of the opponent, minimal "drive" through the hit, no leap. Knee contact is incidental to bracing for the hit, imo.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

We should debate if the NHL should ever allow contact to the head; elsewhere it's not allowed even incidental to the hit. There's a huge price to pay for the kind of brain damage this causes and we probably should make it incumbent on this hitter to prevent these outcomes. But right now in NHL rules I'm not even sure this should have been a 5. Square to the chest of the opponent, minimal "drive" through the hit, no leap. Knee contact is incidental to bracing for the hit, imo.

Kneeing can be a 5 minute major and as can the hit to the head. It's knee to knee and shoulder to head (imo) there are no other contact points. I think what irritates me the most about this particular instance is Aho makes a great play to go around Hamilton and then goes for an insane toe drag and instead gets sent into last week for it. It's dirty as gently caress and if the league actually cared about player safety Giordano would be suspended for 5+

Here's the whole sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-vVjvgmojM

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

glynnenstein posted:

There is a clear leap though. Both of Gio's skates leave the ice, knees bent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The league does not care about player safety, they care about concussion lawsuits.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
to me that looks like aho skated into a player that had come to a full stop

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

There is a clear leap though. Both of Gio's skates leave the ice, knees bent.

His feet left the ground during contact, not before.

It was definitely a dirty hit and a head shot but I don't see any feet leaving the ground or intentional knee on knee contact there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was the kind of headshot you're mostly allowed to do.

You'll probably get ejected so save it for late, but they'll let you off with DOPS.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Islanders offense is fun.

Their defense..... woof.

Barzal is hella cool to watch and should win the Calder.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

bewbies posted:

to me that looks like aho skated into a player that had come to a full stop

I’m kind of with Bewbies here. I don’t think there was any intent there. Giordano had pretty much come to a full stop and aho was cutting across the slot. I think Giordano was basically just trying to get a piece of him, I actually don’t know how Giordano would have hit him that would have resulted in a cleaner hit given both of their positions.

Don’t get me wrong the penalty is fine and warranted, but to say it was an intentionally dirty play seems like a stretch.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Very happy to see Klingberg picking up the mantle of being probably the league's best current defensive scorer and not getting any Norris attention from Zubov.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Giordano rules and Aho is faking it because he's so ashamed that he didn't keep his head up

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Alternatively, gently caress Calgary, I hope they name Gulutzan coach for life and rehire Jay Feaster

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DOOMocrat posted:

Very happy to see Klingberg picking up the mantle of being probably the league's best current defensive scorer and not getting any Norris attention from Zubov.

But you see, sometimes he loses the puck so he's actually a bad defenceman.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fun potential history for tonight. If Couturier scores 2+ goals vs NYR tonight, he becomes the first flyer to ever have 4 multi-goal games.

He's tied with 3 with Wayne Simmonds, who did it in 2013, Tim Kerr in 1989, and Bill Barber in 1980.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

DJExile posted:

Fun potential history for tonight. If Couturier scores 2+ goals vs NYR tonight, he becomes the first flyer to ever have 4 multi-goal games.

He's tied with 3 with Wayne Simmonds, who did it in 2013, Tim Kerr in 1989, and Bill Barber in 1980.

I vote this doesn’t happen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DJExile posted:

What do you mean "if"?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

Surely you mean four multi-goal games against the Rangers specifically, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I think the word “consecutive” is missing from that post.

• Locked thread