Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

looking forward to a whole generation of children being pre-emptively indoctrinated with anti-Capitalism sentiment and gay-positive writing

Finally an FFX-2 for the next generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Best game of 2017.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Now if we can just get a physical release we'll be all set.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McCracAttack posted:

The Switch version is gonna be digital? Aw shucks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have they said anything yet about when the rest of the Weird Autumn content (the Extras menu and the two previous side games) will be made available for the PS4 version yet? I know they said this month but I don't recall them specifying an exact date last I checked.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

The Switch version is gonna be digital? Aw shucks.

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/953360196721692672

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

McCracAttack posted:

Eh is this just for collectors? Lately all my games have been digital b/c space limitations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zerilan posted:

At the same point I think they were kind of unfairly putting the blame for that dragging down a bit too much on Mae for some of that scene. Mae is a troublemaker herself, but Gregg immediately jumped into CRIMES mode the moment Mae was back around without any prodding on her part.

When you do the Steve Scriggins hangout it turns out Gregg has been letting him shoplift in return for crimes related stuff for a while, so I don't think its as clear cut as Angus makes it out to be.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

When you do the Steve Scriggins hangout it turns out Gregg has been letting him shoplift in return for crimes related stuff for a while, so I don't think its as clear cut as Angus makes it out to be.

Yeah definitely agree with this. In the Gregg and Angus stuff, I definitely got the impression they're putting some of the downsides of their relationship on Mae, obviously she never says "no" to crimes but she's also never the one suggesting them. When Gregg has his moment down by the water and talks about all his insecurities regarding the relationship, that says a lot. You could definitely see Gregg as a character wanting to avoid a massive argument/possible break up by taking the easy way out and putting it more on other people. The doughnut trip is sooooo awkward though, they perfectly capture the feeling of hanging out with a couple who are arguing or really tense.

I don't envision enjoying the Bea stuff as much personally like a lot of people did but I'm looking forward to seeing it when I get round to replaying. Maybe it will be way better, it's just hanging out with Gregg is just fun and funny, Bea seemed like she'd be a downer.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 17, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I deliberately went for Bea's route first because I knew a character who was introduced in that way would have a great arc, and my faith was rewarded. Bea is the best character in NITW.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The party scene is my favorite part of the game and I actively loathe having to play through it, which is why it's so goddamn effective.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's like that stage from Modern Warfare 2 where you have to gun down a bunch of innocent civilians except you're doing it to Bea's social life.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I mean yeah Bea's route is def grim at points but it's still funny. The stuff with Clanky made me laugh, especially when Mae was like welp time to whack things to death

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kurona_bright posted:

I mean yeah Bea's route is def grim at points but it's still funny. The stuff with Clanky made me laugh, especially when Mae was like welp time to whack things to death

Also has one of the better tracks in the game imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXc2d2_TULU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't envision enjoying the Bea stuff as much personally like a lot of people did but I'm looking forward to seeing it when I get round to replaying. Maybe it will be way better, it's just hanging out with Gregg is just fun and funny, Bea seemed like she'd be a downer.

"I was worried I would have to Smash All These Lightbulbs by myself" is possibly the funniest moment in the whole thing for me

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Alder posted:

Eh is this just for collectors? Lately all my games have been digital b/c space limitations.

Probably. Games are really the only media where I still want physical copies. I guess with music and movies I'm always confident it will all be "out there" in some form or fashion. Less so with games since game companies aren't always good stewards of their back catalogs. Though I guess :filez: will probably continue to fill that gap.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sometimes indie projects that are exceptionally successful will get a limited edition print release, but these are often niche collector's items that are kind of expensive for the studio to do on their own if they have no integrated distribution. Ultimately just to please a few superfans who want to find inventive new ways of buying the game.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

brainSnakes posted:

I was going to write a thought piece on the ending of the game because it interests me, but have failed to keep it from devolving into overlong and weirdly personal ramblings every time I try.
I dunno, that sounds very appropriate for NITW? Perhaps allow this rambling to fully express itself.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

mae and gregg is one of the few times i've seen fiction depict that weird kind of friendship where two people still really like each other but recognize that they are also bad influences on each other
To add to this general subject, I don't think Gregg is truly genuinely blaming Mae during Donut Wolf, but rather he needs to openly acknowledge this mutual bad influence in order to actively grapple with it - leaving it as a sort of background process in the back of his mind is insufficient - and in the moment this is not being articulated in the most perfect and diplomatic way ever, but the point is ultimately understood by Mae.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just finished my first playthrough. I was a bit miffed when I walked into the Ol' Pickaxe on Harfest and immediately got roped into something before I could explore the rest of the town, but apparently I didn't miss anything because there's a roadblock right after it.

However, as I was looking up videos of Harfest to find if there was something I missed, I noticed people didn't seem to get to the parade or the fortune telling/water balloon toss booth. Was that added after release, or did I have to trigger it with some choice that the various LPers missed?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 24, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

THERE'S A FORTUNE TELLER AND WATER BALLOON BOOTH NOW?!

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

THERE'S A FORTUNE TELLER AND WATER BALLOON BOOTH NOW?!

Yup.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

After completing both routes I need more of this game. Any word from the developers as to when this month Longest Night and Lost Constellation are coming to the PS4 version?

Also, out of curiousity has anyone tried just alternating between Bea and Gregg each day? If so, who takes center stage during the last portion of the game then (in other words, does one of them have more "missions" than the other)?

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Larryb posted:

Also, out of curiousity has anyone tried just alternating between Bea and Gregg each day? If so, who takes center stage during the last portion of the game then (in other words, does one of them have more "missions" than the other)?

There's three possible hangouts (Old Gods/Crimes, House Call/Mechanics, Dinner/Wounds). You'll get Bea or Gregg ending based on who you spend the majority of hangouts with, i.e. at least two.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Larryb posted:

After completing both routes I need more of this game. Any word from the developers as to when this month Longest Night and Lost Constellation are coming to the PS4 version?

on reddit there is a stickied thread that says those will be released February 1st for the ps4 and the switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfp3w8SxFE

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Even if you hang out with Bea more often I’d still recommend Wounds on the third day since that’s his best segment imho.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

exquisite tea posted:

Even if you hang out with Bea more often I’d still recommend Wounds on the third day since that’s his best segment imho.

It is, but on the other hand the fight with Bea is so well done.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Wounds and Legends are probably the best parts of a Gregg run. I'd also recommend doing the Angus hang out and seeing Lori and Germ as much as possible regardless of what route you choose as it makes the ending a bit more impactful imo. Mr. Chazokov and Miss Rosa (the dog lady at the pretzel stand that was added into the Weird Autumn edition) are worth talking to whenever you have the chance as well. Speaking of the former, I don't remember for sure but I think they made the dusk stars a little easier to find in this version.

While Mae's story is more or less complete it could be possible for them to do a sequel set in the same universe only with a different protagonist. It would be nice to see these developers try their hand at another game regardless of whether it's NitW related or not though. Hell, this game would probably make a decent animated series/movie if they wanted to.

Desperate Character posted:

on reddit there is a stickied thread that says those will be released February 1st for the ps4 and the switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfp3w8SxFE

Good to know, thanks!

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 24, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/lavantdapres/status/955131908727459840

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/956635579835387904

meeeerch

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This game is like a fuckin' Hamilton Nolan column, Jesus Christ

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/hudubu_skgd/status/957616518161776641

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

General Dog posted:

This game is like a fuckin' Hamilton Nolan column, Jesus Christ

He writes real good articles about boxing imo

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Mayday's Assault on Dragon Keep

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/953352474123014145

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Can't wait for next years Pumpkin Head Guy edition.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Can't wait for next years Pumpkin Head Guy edition.

The Go Get Dead Angel Face 10 Year Anniversary edition will be incredible.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Night in the Woods is now officially out for the Switch, the remaining Weird Autumn content is available for the PS4 version as well.

Played a but of the two supplemental games as I'd never experienced them before. Longest Night was basically just an extended version the constellation drawing mini-game from the Angus hangout but, aside from being a bit more linear, Lost Constellation is almost a full-fledged prequel game. Both games are also directly referenced in NitW proper.

Related to that, I seem to still be missing a few pieces of concept art. I've done the full Bea route, the full Gregg route, did the hangouts with Candy (Mae's mom), Germ, Lori, Angus and that scavenger guy, brought the two musicians together, finished the Bruce subplot and talked with Miss Rosa. What's left besides feeding the rats and beating Demontower?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2018

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NITW switch seems to be slower loading than I remember the PC game being. I feel like I'm in a long loading screen far more often than I remember in my last pc play through.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some parts of the original pc release took weirdly long to load, like the church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

vetinari100 posted:

There's three possible hangouts (Old Gods/Crimes, House Call/Mechanics, Dinner/Wounds). You'll get Bea or Gregg ending based on who you spend the majority of hangouts with, i.e. at least two.

Is there anything gained from doing all 3 with one person? I'm playing for the first time and planning on alternating, and then doing the opposite for each day on another playthrough. Am I better off doing two runs entirely with one person each or does it not really make a difference.