Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Beach Cliff mustard sauce dines is better than I thought. Hot sauce still reigns supreme tho for cheap dines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I’ve always liked sardines.

My dads parents immigrated from Portugal. So I have closeish family there. When I was a teenager we visited the country and spent a day with this family we had never met and would never see again. The patriarch took us to a little restaurant on the beach. I ordered sardines, fresh of course and 3x the size of what comes from a can. They were grilled, served with bread and lemons and were delicious. After eating them the patriarch showed me how to use the lemons to get the sardine smell from my hands. ~just sardine thangs~

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Fresh is the ne plus ultra of dines

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I posted a lovely cell phone photo of a sardine-based dinner I made one night on the King Oscar Facebook page and they sent me a tote bag and a can of mackerel.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It's incredibly lovely out tonight, so it's a great night for a 'dine melt on sourdough. :yum:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Just got a 24 pack of Latvian sprats, not RIGA GOLD so it was a gamble. Not as unctuous as RG, but acceptable

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
drat Brolander you learned me a new work with unctuous. I had just read oleaginous from the Trump thread too.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Went to a place in Sharonville, OH called CAM International Market. They have all kinds of strange stuff, including a wide selection of mysterious and unusual sardines. Thought I'd share some pics.

I wonder if all Riga sprats are the same, or are the Gold sprats different from other Riga sprats?
They also have a bunch of frozen and fresh fish and unusual cuts of meat. Eight-packs of frozen squab, vacuum-packed "JELLYFISH HEAD," live Tilapia, all manner of gooey island sausages, a gallon of sambal for ten bucks, a crepe stand, weeaboo snacks like pockey and an endless selection of packaged noodle meals, twenty different models of rice cooker, a huge selection of frozen steamable and fryable dumplings, etc., etc..

Every time I go there I find stuff I've never seen before. I like to share mystery snacks with my coworkers. Something from the candy aisle with no helpful english on the packaging and a nonsensical illustration usually brightens a Monday. If it turns out to be disgusting, even better. Sweetened dried squid is my least favorite so far.

I don't know what these are, but I'm sure they'll fill my office with new and interesting aromas:

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
i almost bought a can of that Old Fisherman eel at the asian mart a couple hours ago

never had the Nuri sardines but they carry those too.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i'm loving a 'dine girl

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

berth ell pup posted:

i almost bought a can of that Old Fisherman eel at the asian mart a couple hours ago

never had the Nuri sardines but they carry those too.

I wonder if the eel is rubbery

vvv good to know! I did grab a can of those.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 15, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

theres a will theres moe posted:

Went to a place in Sharonville, OH called CAM International Market. They have all kinds of strange stuff, including a wide selection of mysterious and unusual sardines. Thought I'd share some pics.

The Nuris are real good

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The Nuris are real good

Seconded, they are quite good, and I've only found them at the Asian grocer near me.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Ate a can of KO’s in Tapatio today, they were pretty great. The can didn’t seem quite as full of fish though, like maybe 6 dines? Definitely seemed like there was room for more fish in there, but whatever the flavor made up for it.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

aww look at this snippy little fellow! I love him

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

I wonder if the eel is rubbery

It's not, it's actually pretty dry, with crumbly spine bones lining most of the fillets. The sauces are all the same kind of salty/slightly sweet base, and there's just enough to coat the fish. I like to put it on rice and steamed veggies :yum:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I wonder if all Riga sprats are the same, or are the Gold sprats different from other Riga sprats?
They also have a bunch of frozen and fresh fish and unusual cuts of meat. Eight-packs of frozen squab, vacuum-packed "JELLYFISH HEAD," live Tilapia, all manner of gooey island sausages, a gallon of sambal for ten bucks, a crepe stand, weeaboo snacks like pockey and an endless selection of packaged noodle meals, twenty different models of rice cooker, a huge selection of frozen steamable and fryable dumplings, etc., etc..

Every time I go there I find stuff I've never seen before. I like to share mystery snacks with my coworkers. Something from the candy aisle with no helpful english on the packaging and a nonsensical illustration usually brightens a Monday. If it turns out to be disgusting, even better. Sweetened dried squid is my least favorite so far.

I don't know what these are, but I'm sure they'll fill my office with new and interesting aromas:

Oh man that is like my dream store.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I want me some of those vertical clear jar dines.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Ohio....redeemed???

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

cocoavalley posted:

It's not, it's actually pretty dry, with crumbly spine bones lining most of the fillets. The sauces are all the same kind of salty/slightly sweet base, and there's just enough to coat the fish. I like to put it on rice and steamed veggies :yum:

Nice! I was put off of eel a few years ago when I got a huge portion of real chewy stuff at a restaurant. Maybe I'll give one of those cans a try some time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BaconCopter posted:

I want me some of those vertical clear jar dines.

Wonder if they come with vodka and pickles?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
They're right next to the pickes! There was some Ukrainian pickled cauliflower in tomato sauce that I almost bought. They also had huge jars of pickled apples. Maybe next time. And no vodka there but they do have kvass and other stuff whose labels I can't read.

naem
May 29, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Ohio....redeemed???

Let's not get carried away

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I've had these they're good.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

I've had these they're good.

You're back!!!!!! :D

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've never had canned eels but if I ever do I will garnish them with a sprig of parsley

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Canned eels rule but you kinda have to try a few to find one to your liking. I find some of them too sweet sometimes. Next time I go to Seafood City I'll take a pic of the ones I like to get.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Isn't it supposed to be bad to eat eels?

Like they can't be farmed and they're getting overfished?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

SAVE THE EELS doesn't look so good on a bumper sticker, so they're hosed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Keith Atherton posted:

Isn't it supposed to be bad to eat eels?

Like they can't be farmed and they're getting overfished?

Yeah
http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/eel
Avoid eel if you give care even the tiniest amount about them not going extinct. Remember, if it's extinct it's no longer edible.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Improbable Lobster posted:

Avoid eel if you give care even the tiniest amount about them not going extinct. Remember, if it's extinct it's no longer edible.

If I'm not eating it then it's already not edible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

mossyfisk posted:

If I'm not eating it then it's already not edible.

Yes but if you don't eat them for long enough then they become edible again

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The question is, will eels are going to survive the coming nuclear apocalypse? The answer is NO so let's put them out of their misery now.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

King oscars aren't sold where my dine-eating gf lives. This is unfortunate

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can you order them online for her? It will be a nice gift for her to receive fish in the mail.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Just won a tote bag for my lame FB haiku!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Radio Nowhere posted:

My wife did as well!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
With Lent barely 2 weeks away, and my abandonment of land meat for the duration of that religious season, I ask: do you have any new recipes, Dine Chat? Or any tinned, or fresh, fish, for that matter? Let's expand our scope: let us become Fish Chat! Let us speak of eating the glories and bounties of the deep!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

My favorite vegetable side with any meal is mustard greens, wilted down with some hunks of salty bacon.

However I have found this simple dish to be made even better with olive oil dines and lots of garlic instead of bacon.

Make it a meal by serving heaps of it over pasta.

Eat your greens kids that poo poo is good for you. It is a dadly food in it's own right and improved by the addition of dines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Radio Nowhere posted:

I got a second prize! Looks like I have an apron (my second from King Oscar) and tote bag on the way.