Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Raxivace posted:

I know I've said this before but I'm telling you guys, RE8 should be set on Mars.

Give me Martian Zombies god dammit!

You know Umbrella has a moon base.

Personally im still holding onto hope for more Dino Crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

We're even in the part of news cycle right now where we're pretending water being found Mars is somehow a new discovery. C'mon Capcom, its socially relevant!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm playing through Re4 in ages and gosh darn it just won't end.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
If you don't like RE4, then maybe the average today's Resident Evil isn't the series for you. Maybe give 7 a shot if you're looking for an actual horror vibe. It's holy gently caress.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Pneub posted:

If you don't like RE4, then maybe the average today's Resident Evil isn't the series for you. Maybe give 7 a shot if you're looking for an actual horror vibe. It's holy gently caress.

No I mean I've played through all of them several times, but I completely forgot how long RE4 is. When I rescued Ashley for the third time I was like isn't this where it ends? Then we got onto the truck and I was like yeah this is where it ends but nope. There's three more boss fights sucker!

It drags on a bit especially with the ganado gauntlets but hey it's no RE6.

EDIT:

I've also decided to go with weapons I never tried in previous playthroughs so I went with minelauncher and punisher. Punisher is just godly. You shoot straight clean through shields and hit another ganado behind them, with special upgrade, it's 5 ganados. With those generous hitboxes you can headshot five ganados at once it's great. And the garradors are instakilled by two minedarts. You ring once, pop two shots and they're dead. The best thing about the minelauncher is that you can shoot it up close and run.

The only downside is I killed Ashley like 6 times. She died more times than me in this game.

Vic fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 17, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fully upgraded minethrower is all fun and games until it's the only weapon you have ammo left for during the Ashley truck bit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Minethrower also trivializes the Final Boss to an absurd degree.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Len posted:

You know Umbrella has a moon base.

Personally im still holding onto hope for more Dino Crisis

Dino Crisis did the whole quality span of Resident Evil in just four games. Great survival horror, fun action romp with some of the old survival horror elements, then a light gun game and :wtc: space zombie T-Rex.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no mainline Resi game as bad as Dino Crisis 3

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

On paper DC3 was perfect. Space, dinosaurs, jet packs. Then I played it :negative:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i would sacrifice everyone in this thread for a billy and josh trapped in a skyscraper on mars game.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Vic posted:

No I mean I've played through all of them several times, but I completely forgot how long RE4 is. When I rescued Ashley for the third time I was like isn't this where it ends? Then we got onto the truck and I was like yeah this is where it ends but nope. There's three more boss fights sucker!

I've played through it so many times and I always forget about the whole section in the enclosed container section suspended over the chasm. That part is cool, but somehow it always comes out of nowhere.

I think it speaks to the quality of this series that I love the Resident Evil 1,2 style, the RE4 style, and the RE7 style of gameplay. I'm really curious to see what they'll show of RE2 Remake. I think I'll be happy with it regardless of what sort of gameplay they focus on.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Jolo posted:

I've played through it so many times and I always forget about the whole section in the enclosed container section suspended over the chasm. That part is cool, but somehow it always comes out of nowhere.

I think it's because both U3 and Krauser are introduced and immediatelly defeated. There's no foreshadowing to both and they do come out of nowhere.

I just finished the game the second time from the endgame save. Decided I'd do a speedrun and holy poo poo it took me over 6 hours. I straight up sprinted through some of the areas. In my hubris I thought a good speedrunner would do it in like 4, but boy was I wrong.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

There's no mainline Resi game as bad as Dino Crisis 3

Dead Aim.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mainline, i.e numbered entry of Resident Evil.

How do you gently caress up triple headed cyber jetpack trex Capcom?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Barudak posted:

Mainline, i.e numbered entry of Resident Evil.

How do you gently caress up triple headed cyber jetpack trex Capcom?

It's technically numbered: Gun Survivor 2! Unless that was another one.

Dino Crisis 3 seriously jumped the shark though, which is such a shame since 1 is objectively better than any Resi title. Dino Cremake?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Dino Crisis would make a better first person VR game than RE could ever hope.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's technically numbered: Gun Survivor 2! Unless that was another one.

Dino Crisis 3 seriously jumped the shark though, which is such a shame since 1 is objectively better than any Resi title. Dino Cremake?

Dead Aim is technically Gun Survivor 4, 2 was based on Code Veronica and 3 based on Dino Crisis.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Dead Aim is technically Gun Survivor 4, 2 was based on Code Veronica and 3 based on Dino Crisis.

There was a Code Veronica Gun Survivor, and Dino Stalker is a part of the Gun Survivor series? Dino Stalker was actually pretty drat fun. Is the Code Veronica one decent?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This thread makes me really want to get past the first hour of Dino Crisis. So far I only got to a room and got munched by a T-Rex, then reloaded and escaped before getting immediately eaten by raptors. Game is somehow scarier than any RE title IMO

Also why the hell isn't that series on Steam, there were already PC ports done years back!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Convex posted:

This thread makes me really want to get past the first hour of Dino Crisis. So far I only got to a room and got munched by a T-Rex, then reloaded and escaped before getting immediately eaten by raptors. Game is somehow scarier than any RE title IMO

Also why the hell isn't that series on Steam, there were already PC ports done years back!

The first one is the only one in the franchise that's like that. Dino Crisis 2 is proto-Resident Evil 4 and rules, Dino Stalker is a light gun game of mediocre quality, and Dino Crisis 3 is an incredibly incredibly bad 3rd person action game. Like if Onimusha had fallen down several flights of stairs into a pile of guns bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Pneub posted:

I'd bet it they'd go with a skyscraper next. Enough with the loving boats already.

Boats are a great survival horror setting

Admittedly a skyscraper would also be great

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If you actually care about the story of Dino Crisis (why would you it's almost as dumb as Resident Evil), Dino Stalker is actually kind of essential to play because Dino Crisis 2 ends in a huge cliffhanger and Dino Crisis 3 is barely connected to the previous games as is, if at all.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Convex posted:

If memory serves, can't raptors track you if you have open wounds because of blood trails or something like that? Game ruled.

Barudak posted:

The first one is the only one in the franchise that's like that. Dino Crisis 2 is proto-Resident Evil 4 and rules, Dino Stalker is a light gun game of mediocre quality, and Dino Crisis 3 is an incredibly incredibly bad 3rd person action game. Like if Onimusha had fallen down several flights of stairs into a pile of guns bad.

Another thing I'm remembering is Dino Crisis 2 has time travelling power rangers who are a resistance force against the dinosaur armies, underwater dinosaur scuba diving harpoon gun sequences, dual wielding Uzis while charging through hordes of raptors and the ending sequence of MGS1, but against a triceratops instead of Liquid. Also, Dino Stalker starts you off as a US Fighter pilot in WW2 and you get shot down by pterodactyls with gatling guns, and must defend yourself as your parachuting down to the ground.

...I loving miss Dino Crisis so bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If I remember correctly the trick to the first Dino Crisis is to 1) use the... Plugs? to open weapon (red) boxes before all other boxes, 2) open medical (green) boxes after red boxes and 3) create and use tranquilizer darts from the supplies in the green boxes for normal/upgraded raptors and save all your poison darts which you get from the red boxes for the super raptors in the final area. That way you'll save enough ammo for your other weapons that if you do need to use them you won't run out of ammo.

Still tricky at the start of the game though because the puzzles can be even more obtuse than RE1. You'll probably have to backtrack through areas until you know what to do and raptors will wake up from being tranq'd, how quickly depending on the difficulty and which tranquilizer size you used.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I have not played it in like 2 decades but I remember Parasite Eve 2 being vaguely similar to RE and DC, but with an RPG bent. Never played the first one. You were in some kind of western motel town and eventually found the requisite evil labs nearby. The environments and models reminded me a lot of RE2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Electromax posted:

I have not played it in like 2 decades but I remember Parasite Eve 2 being vaguely similar to RE and DC, but with an RPG bent. Never played the first one. You were in some kind of western motel town and eventually found the requisite evil labs nearby. The environments and models reminded me a lot of RE2.

That was entirely deliberate. The first Parasite Eve was no flop but Resident Evil 2 came out and made approximately all the money so Square decided to copy it. PE2 still kept some of the RPG elements for the weapons, powers, and armor from the first game, which did keep it at least more interesting than the basic shooting in RE2, but everything else (environments, movement, combat) became as close to RE2 as they could make it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dino Crisis is goddamn great. Unlike RE the puzzles here were actual puzzles you had to work through. I remember actually having a notebook handy to write all the puzzle stuff down to work out.

My fondest memory of demo discs was one from Playstation magazine that had a demo for it. It also has a Klonoa demo. That disc ruled. The highlight of the demo was part of it was the second fight with the T-Rex. This was before I really got into horror games and it was absolutely terrifying.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 18, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Another thing I'm remembering is Dino Crisis 2 has time travelling power rangers who are a resistance force against the dinosaur armies, underwater dinosaur scuba diving harpoon gun sequences, dual wielding Uzis while charging through hordes of raptors and the ending sequence of MGS1, but against a triceratops instead of Liquid. Also, Dino Stalker starts you off as a US Fighter pilot in WW2 and you get shot down by pterodactyls with gatling guns, and must defend yourself as your parachuting down to the ground.

...I loving miss Dino Crisis so bad.

Its slightly more insane than that: the Time Travelers are your protagonists grandchildren from the future who were raised as Dinosaurs mentally in the time traveling space ship that was going back in time to put dinosaurs back after the clean energy of the future made them extinct because it drains energy from the past and brings it forward in time. At the end of the game you fight a massive dinosaur that you kill using a time-displaced orbital laser cannon and get crushed to death under a collapsing server rack with the implication that the other protagonist will eventually use time travel to pull you out from that death into the future so your grand kids can exist and thus closing the timeloop.

Somewhere in there your native american indian tracker friend dies and nobody gives a poo poo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Barudak posted:

Its slightly more insane than that: the Time Travelers are your protagonists grandchildren from the future who were raised as Dinosaurs mentally in the time traveling space ship that was going back in time to put dinosaurs back after the clean energy of the future made them extinct because it drains energy from the past and brings it forward in time. At the end of the game you fight a massive dinosaur that you kill using a time-displaced orbital laser cannon and get crushed to death under a collapsing server rack with the implication that the other protagonist will eventually use time travel to pull you out from that death into the future so your grand kids can exist and thus closing the timeloop.

Somewhere in there your native american indian tracker friend dies and nobody gives a poo poo.

goddamn i remember this and my face trying to process it all. i remember thinking how i cant wait for the follow up on the ps2 that never came.

man, i still have my discs from both the ps1 games and i boot up the ol' emulator/ps3

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Boats are a great survival horror setting

They were, but at least a third of nearly every RE game for like the last 15 years has to take place on a cargo ship or cruise liner. There's been like twice as many boats as there's been residences at this point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe boats were the real zombies this whole time.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
Ironically, I don't think they've done a houseboat yet.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Aw that'd be a good setting for another first person one in the vein of 7. Bunch of houses out on a bayou and you're moving between them on one of those fanboats, could have some horrible infected wildlife and creepy guys lurking around and then various houses of different sizes, abandoned yachts, houseboats and such. Suppose the 2nd third of 7 had a lot of that with the old house and the mosquitos and poo poo but I'm thinking a bit more spread out and free form.

Literally cannot wait until they reveal more of the 2 remake and hopefully a followup to 7, with the hints that we're going to see more soon maybe they were waiting until Monster Hunter World came out to start building hype for other stuff? 2 was one of those games that I was obsessed with as a kid, came out right at the perfect time and I played it through so many times cause I didn't have much else to play. Hopefully it keeps the A/B playthrough setup and manages to mix up stuff as much as the RE1 Remake did.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I would love to see RE8 (or an RE7 spinoff like CVX if you want) return to the swamp, that was a really cool setting compared to faux-gothic mansions and offices.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kibayasu posted:

That was entirely deliberate. The first Parasite Eve was no flop but Resident Evil 2 came out and made approximately all the money so Square decided to copy it. PE2 still kept some of the RPG elements for the weapons, powers, and armor from the first game, which did keep it at least more interesting than the basic shooting in RE2, but everything else (environments, movement, combat) became as close to RE2 as they could make it.

Yeah, Parasite Eve would slot into RE canon so easily that it felt like I had just missed one of the games growing up. I liked PE a lot, really wish they'd make another one.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yall are making me hook up my ps3 tonight for the sole purpose of buying and replaying the dino crisis games

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I actually replayed the first one only a couple months ago and, as far as the classic RE games go, it's good. I always thought it kind of weird how there were these other series did a lot more within the classic Resident Evil trappings than Resident Evil ever did on its own but RE is the only one that stuck around.

I know Dino Crisis was also Capcom so maybe they just didn't want to create their own competition in the genre but games like Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve really were a fair bit better than RE back then.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/dev1_official/status/954041872392994816

enhance!

hmmmmmm

(dummy finger and the black object is a typewriter...)

recklessly speculate, please. (the 20th anniversary of RE2 is in 3 days btw)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

To me it looks like, bitter irony. The Chief of Police, a co-conspirator.

My theory is, there's a dummy finger so:

*Styled like Resident Evil 7, First person perspective
*Beginning Hour style preview of the game to show off the lobby of the police station (I hope)