Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If you liked Knight and Day you will enjoy Bang Bang the Bollywood version!

Look!

https://youtu.be/YAOIbHBEvi0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There is a scene at the end of Batman Begins where Batman fights a group of ninjas, and it is so utterly impossible to follow that I wouldn’t be surprised if Nolan handed the camera to an amature skate video director.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm glad Dunkirk turned out well because I was almost convinced Nolan didn't know how to shoot action.

I'm still pretty doubtful on that. Even in Dunkirk it felt like I wasn't seeing everything I wanted to see during some of the action.

Maybe not that he doesn't know how, but he seems to regularly make deliberate choices that the action needs to be obfuscated for one reason or another. With Batman is was for practical reasons(the restrictive costume) and to maintain the mystique of Batman, for Dunkirk he seemed to want us to be in the shoes of the soldiers in those scenes and not feeling like we have a god's eye view of the events. The glide kill is a pretty notable exception though, that shows he can edit action together in a coherent way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

I'm still pretty doubtful on that. Even in Dunkirk it felt like I wasn't seeing everything I wanted to see during some of the action.

That could be intentional, in a "always leave `em wanting more" kind of way.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Fart City posted:

There is a scene at the end of Batman Begins where Batman fights a group of ninjas, and it is so utterly impossible to follow that I wouldn’t be surprised if Nolan handed the camera to an amature skate video director.
I remember getting quite annoyed in the cinema during the BB dockyard fight because I couldn't work out what the gently caress I was supposed to be looking at - it didn't flow at all. I was genuinely surprised later to find people defending it as "it's from the POV of the bad guys, they don't know what's happening either!" Seemed to me more that Nolan suddenly realised "poo poo, my lead actor is all but immobile in this thick rubber suit! Maybe if I just do rapid cuts on closeups of fists and feet and people flying into boxes it'll work... oh, cock."

Also, Batman fought ninjas at the end of that movie? Christ, I must have excised the second half from my mind, because I don't remember that at all. And I own it! I've watched it on DVD more than once!

Actually, a problem I had with all Nolan's Bat-films is that they were all so loving sterile. It's summed up by an early scene in the last one where Gordon and co are going down a manhole in an alley - except the alley looks like it's just been scrubbed and steam-cleaned, with no dirt or garbage or anything to suggest this is a bad part of town. Gotham became a bland concrete and steel Anywheresville, USA.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Payndz posted:

Actually, a problem I had with all Nolan's Bat-films is that they were all so loving sterile. It's summed up by an early scene in the last one where Gordon and co are going down a manhole in an alley - except the alley looks like it's just been scrubbed and steam-cleaned, with no dirt or garbage or anything to suggest this is a bad part of town. Gotham became a bland concrete and steel Anywheresville, USA.

I'd have to go back and see the scene but there are explicitly two Gothams in Batman Begins. You go down a ramp or take a wrong turn and you're in Bad Gotham.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing I found annoying about the MI series is how literally every movie is Ethan Hunt going off book without any help from the IMF.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

The thing I found annoying about the MI series is how literally every movie is Ethan Hunt going off book without any help from the IMF.

Considering the manager and boss turnover at IMF and the number of moles and traitors it has the best idea is probably to go it alone or with your trusted friends as often as possible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'd have to go back and see the scene but there are explicitly two Gothams in Batman Begins. You go down a ramp or take a wrong turn and you're in Bad Gotham.

Yeah this was a very intentional part of the story. Good Gotham was shot on location, Bad Gotham was shot on stylized sets.

The later movies, like thematically I understand why they went for the city looks that they did, but it like, drat, you're gonna film in the place that Gotham City literally comes from, and film a few blocks away from where a bunch of actual gargoyles, old churches, and some of the oldest buildings in the city are next to the skyscrapers and recent slick new buildings and not actually get any of that in your movie about Batman, like drat.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You know, now that I think about it, there's a sort of Morlock-Eloi going on in Nolan's Batman. A lot of focus on subterranean worlds where the real power gets wielded in Batman Begins and Rises (not so much Dark Knight)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It was used pretty well in Begins, which even though ~~~THE POWER OF FEEEEEEAAAAARRR~~~ is something that gets brought up in every DC movie since in some way, is the only one that really built itself around that in a sort of interesting way for a comic book superhero movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Payndz posted:

I remember getting quite annoyed in the cinema during the BB dockyard fight because I couldn't work out what the gently caress I was supposed to be looking at - it didn't flow at all. I was genuinely surprised later to find people defending it as "it's from the POV of the bad guys, they don't know what's happening either!" Seemed to me more that Nolan suddenly realised "poo poo, my lead actor is all but immobile in this thick rubber suit! Maybe if I just do rapid cuts on closeups of fists and feet and people flying into boxes it'll work... oh, cock."

Also, Batman fought ninjas at the end of that movie? Christ, I must have excised the second half from my mind, because I don't remember that at all. And I own it! I've watched it on DVD more than once!

It's real bad.

For god's sake, Chris. PULL THE CAMERA BACK.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Well usually Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg are helping too

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of movie reboots of old TV shows, how is the Denzel Washington version of The Equalizer? Where would it fall on a scale of The Avengers with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman to The Fugitive?

I've not seen the original series yet but it's been on my "to watch" list for a while because I like Edward Woodward; it was one of my dad's favourites when he was my age (he was into The Professionals, then Airwolf and The A-Team then The Equalizer pretty much one after the other).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of movie reboots of old TV shows, how is the Denzel Washington version of The Equalizer? Where would it fall on a scale of The Avengers with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman to The Fugitive?

You mean Denzel Washington Murks Everyone? I like it a hell of a lot. It's got a bit of the same morally patronizing streak that, say, Taken had, but it's a little easier to forgive given the circumstances, and Denzel is ruthless in it. Like, some of his kills are straight-up slasher kills, it's great.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 17, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've not seen the original series yet but it's been on my "to watch" list for a while because I like Edward Woodward; it was one of my dad's favourites when he was my age (he was into The Professionals, then Airwolf and The A-Team then The Equalizer pretty much one after the other).

It’s closer to the Fugitive on that line. Solid action and Denzel is pretty cold calculating and efficiently violent. It’s got a bit of smarts in how he goes about it too so I liked it and do recommend it.

Between Man on Fire and Equalizer he pretty much is the Punisher.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Denzel Washington doing action movies strikes me as odd in the same way as Liam Neeson becoming an action star later in his career. Granted, I realise Washington has done his share of action or thriller movies - stuff like Ricochet* and Man On Fire are pretty entertaining movies - but I always think of him as the guy who does "prestige" drama movies like Courage Under Fire and Training Day etc. It's probably because the first thing I remember seeing him in was Remember the Titans.

Like, imagine if Tom Hanks decided to start doing action movies. That would be pretty weird, wouldn't it? Or if Meryl Streep announced that she'd be doing her own Atomic Blonde style assassin movie next year.

* John Lithgow is a great actor and he's always really fun in villain parts (he's the best thing in Santa Claus: The Movie) but despite being incredibly tall I've never been able to take him entirely seriously in Cliffhanger when he's supposed to be a physical threat to Sylvester Stallone. Because he's the bad guy from Footloose.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gatts posted:

It’s closer to the Fugitive on that line. Solid action and Denzel is pretty cold calculating and efficiently violent. It’s got a bit of smarts in how he goes about it too so I liked it and do recommend it.

Between Man on Fire and Equalizer he pretty much is the Punisher.

I didn't even remember The Equalizer coming out, but I saw it on TV recently and agree with all of this. I enjoyed it. Very reminiscent of Man on Fire and the Punisher.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Frankly, I think the prominence of action stars pushing 60 are about a demographic change in who watches action movies. Same reason that the Guardians of the Galaxy movies have soundtracks that are novel to young people and a treat for Dad. (Or if, like me, you're in-between demographics but your parents raised you on a lot of popular music spanning a quarter-century.)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like, imagine if Tom Hanks decided to start doing action movies. That would be pretty weird, wouldn't it? Or if Meryl Streep announced that she'd be doing her own Atomic Blonde style assassin movie next year.

IMDB lists Hanks’ role in Saving Private Ryan as one of the things he’s known for :can:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-Ray Pecs posted:

IMDB lists Hanks’ role in Saving Private Ryan as one of the things he’s known for :can:

As I've said before in the thread, I have a hard time thinking of war movies as "action movies". :shrug:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I didn't even remember The Equalizer coming out, but I saw it on TV recently and agree with all of this. I enjoyed it. Very reminiscent of Man on Fire and the Punisher.

Helped out immensely by being directed by Anton Fuqua. Even when he does trash like Olympus Has Fallen, it’s “throw your hands up laughing” trash. David Ayer could learn a lot from his former Training Day collaborater in that regard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Did I miss a conversation about how Bright was abominably dumb? It was real stupid, y'all.

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I've said before in the thread, I have a hard time thinking of war movies as "action movies". :shrug:
What about really silly ones?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dunno about "action" movies but he gets pretty close with the Robert Langdon films.

But however weird it would be I would be 100% down with a Tom Hanks action movie. Good Guy Pushed Too Far is a staple of the genre and you don't get more "Good Guy" than Hanks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hanks could definitely pull off that type of character, which we saw in Road to Perdition even if that wasn't an action movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Did I miss a conversation about how Bright was abominably dumb? It was real stupid, y'all.

What about really silly ones?

I mentioned this in its own (seemingly dead) thread, but in a perfect world, Bright would have been written and directed by Shane Black. And it would have been awesome.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Fart City posted:

Helped out immensely by being directed by Anton Fuqua. Even when he does trash like Olympus Has Fallen, it’s “throw your hands up laughing” trash. David Ayer could learn a lot from his former Training Day collaborater in that regard.

I'd argue that Sabotage is absolutely that kind of enjoyable trash.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Fart City posted:

Olympus Has Fallen’s two biggest problems were 1) a script that was an uninspired retread of Die Hard, down to very specific plot points and 2) coming out the same year as White House Down, which featured Channing Tatum, Jimmi Simpson, Lance Reddick, and the coup de grace, Jamie Foxx as not-Obama shooting a rocket launcher from the Presidential limo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what my favourite Die Hard rip-off is. Probably a toss-up between Cliffhanger and Air Force One.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what my favourite Die Hard rip-off is. Probably a toss-up between Cliffhanger and Air Force One.

Sudden Death’s dece. It’s got Powers Boothe playing the heavy, and Van Damme has a full-length fight scene with the Pittsburgh Penguins mascot.

LesterGroans posted:

I'd argue that Sabotage is absolutely that kind of enjoyable trash.

Fair point. The Arnold interrogation scene alone makes it worth a watch, just because it’s so bonkers. Plus Sam Worthington playing Fred Durst.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Olympus Has Fallen’s two biggest problems were 1) a script that was an uninspired retread of Die Hard, down to very specific plot points and 2) coming out the same year as White House Down, which featured Channing Tatum, Jimmi Simpson, Lance Reddick, and the coup de grace, Jamie Foxx as not-Obama shooting a rocket launcher from the Presidential limo.

I never saw White House Down. Is it worth a watch?

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 17, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Both Under Siege movies. Literally the only Seagal flicks worth watching. Though obviously don't do anything that would put money in Seagal's hands.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fart City posted:

Van Damme has a full-length fight scene with the Pittsburgh Penguins mascot.

I missed the word "fight" originally and was gonna say "Oh yeah, back in the 90s when action films still did sex scenes."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wheat Loaf posted:

I’m a fan of the previously-mentioned Sudden Death, and The Relic from the same director is also dope. It’s Die Hard in a museum, but as a creature feature. It’s very ridiculous (the monster has to cut human heads off and eat brains to stay alive) but it’s a blast.

Speed deserves a special mention, because it’s maybe the most absurd “Die Hard in a ________” premise, but it just loving runs with it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fart City posted:

Everyone hates Ayer now, probably due to Suicide Squad (which I hated too, mostly as a fan of the original comics) and Bright. But he has written and/or directed some good movies too. I personally love Street Kings, which is more "crime" than "action," but a lot of people slept on it when it came out. It is written by James freakin' Ellroy, maybe the best living crime/mystery novelist, and it has a stacked cast: Keanu Reeves, Hugh Laurie, Forest Whitaker, Chris Evans, Terry Crews.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neo Rasa posted:

Both Under Siege movies. Literally the only Seagal flicks worth watching. Though obviously don't do anything that would put money in Seagal's hands.

I rewatched the first one recently and it wasn't as good as I remember. I saw Under Siege 2 on TV years ago and remember liking it, but don't really feel compelled to revisit it after seeing the first one again.

However, credit where it's due, Tommy Lee Jones is probably the best villain in a Seagal movie. He's sort of able to put up a bit of a fight at the end, which puts him above most of the guys Seagal ends up fighting (most blatantly to me William Forsythe in Out for Justice, who Seagal doesn't outfight so much as beat to death).

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Speed deserves a special mention, because it’s maybe the most absurd “Die Hard in a ________” premise, but it just loving runs with it.

I think the original Speed is its own thing rather than Die Hard on an X, but Speed 2 is basically Die Hard on a cruise ship.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the original Speed is its own thing rather than Die Hard on an X, but Speed 2 is basically Die Hard on a cruise ship.

I agree. Speed is not really "trapped in a ____ with bad guys". The villain is outside somewhere else and playing a kind of deadly game with him. Which is why Die Hard 3 doesn't really feel like a Die Hard film either because it does the same kind of thing and can only be considered Die Hard in a very loose or abstract way. Die Hard 3: Trapped In the Five Boroughs! It was originally supposed to be a Brandon Lee movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd heard that Die Hard 3 began life as an attempted Lethal Weapon script.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Everyone hates Ayer now, probably due to Suicide Squad (which I hated too, mostly as a fan of the original comics) and Bright. But he has written and/or directed some good movies too. I personally love Street Kings, which is more "crime" than "action," but a lot of people slept on it when it came out. It is written by James freakin' Ellroy, maybe the best living crime/mystery novelist, and it has a stacked cast: Keanu Reeves, Hugh Laurie, Forest Whitaker, Chris Evans, Terry Crews.

I don't hate him, I love the guy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard that Die Hard 3 began life as an attempted Lethal Weapon script.

I’m pretty sure Die Hard 2 was supposed to be a stand-alone movie until someone noticed the general conceptual similarities to the first time and it was rewritten as a sequel. That’s always fascinated me, movies rewritten to be franchise pieces. I’d love to see a list of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be fair, Die Hard was never really about being trapped with terrorists, it's about McClane saving a bunch of hostages from terrorists. It's not like he couldn't have probably figured some way out of the building if he didn't give a poo poo about saving his wife or the other hostages.

So Die Hard 2 is the same thing, he has to kill a bunch of terrorists at the airport to save the hostages, and then in 3 the hostages are everyone in New York.