Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

One oft-overlooked element is Ichiro is still unsigned, very unlikely to find a roster spot, and may just go back to Japan

Not saying he's good anymore, but if his entire saga ended this way I'd be pretty drat sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'd watch chopped if it was between mr redlegs and mr met

Oh man, I'd love to see all 4 competitors be MLB mascots. Is the food at either ballpark any good? Only ballparks I've been to are Wrigley and Busch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tom Gorman posted:

One oft-overlooked element is Ichiro is still unsigned, very unlikely to find a roster spot, and may just go back to Japan

Not saying he's good anymore, but if his entire saga ended this way I'd be pretty drat sad

Surely if it came to that, he’d sign a one-day contract to retire as a Mariner?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oh God drat everything. It's perfect. I've never liked Grooms but the dinger machine is loving perfect right where it is. You can't have baseball without owners making GBS threads on the game and that's getting to be just so sad. Is it worse than usual? It feels like it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tom Gorman posted:

Detroit please sign Ichiro so Gardenhire has someone to bunt.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The only thing the Pirates could do to save my opinion of this offseason is to sign Ichiro

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

Note: My only rationale for this mindset is that if I got an MLB contract, I could stand in RF, make 150 errors and hit 0.015 and still come out in one piece. If I played 1 game in the NHL I'd most likely be literally dead or severely brain damaged.
I think the average career length is basically the same between NHL and MLB at a little under 6 per player. For injury rates keep in mind that positions like pitcher and catcher are just about impossible to play in anything resembling a healthy way, even if it's not a brain injury.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please some team sign Bartolo and Ichiro.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Oh fuuuuuuuck I forgot all about that
I bought flights a week ago. Non stop from TJ it was like $140 round trip. Gonna be a sick rear end weekend of booze and tacos and baseball. :getin:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rand alPaul posted:

Please some team sign Bartolo and Ichiro.

To dh and pitch, respectively

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

To dh and pitch, respectively

i had this exact same thought

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Please don't demolish the Dinger Machine. gently caress, someone start a petition or something.

gently caress you Derek Jeter

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
So in the year following a season where only two divisions were decided by fewer than 11 games and the only teams making real attempts at getting better with top flight FAs and big trades so far are:

2 wild card teams
a team that finished 21 games out of their division
and the worst team in baseball last year

we aren't seeing all of the marquee free agents being snapped up at their initial desired rates when there's a much more impressive FA class on the horizon?

Baseball.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
They'll compromise and have it activate when the ball gets pass a diving shortstop instead

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/953485796220182529

Fred McGriff but not Barry Bonds

Jeff Kent but not Barry Bonds

Jim Thome whose primary talent was mashing taters but not nearly as well as Barry Bonds... but not Barry Bonds

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Pussy Boss posted:

Please don't demolish the Dinger Machine. gently caress, someone start a petition or something.

gently caress you Derek Jeter

IT'S ALREADY BUILT. What are they going to do, part it out and auction the pieces???

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I know our farm system is barren but God drat Jerry, please try to get Yelich. It's not like the Marlins ask for much.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

Fred McGriff but not Barry Bonds

Jeff Kent but not Barry Bonds

Jim Thome whose primary talent was mashing taters but not nearly as well as Barry Bonds... but not Barry Bonds

Something something sanctity of the sport. Please ignore the fact that most of if not every player in in the hall who played before 2006 literally drank coffee laced with amphetamines in the dugout between innings. PED's were worse you see because-

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
And even if you DO buy all that "sanctity of the sport" stuff, lmao at none of Walker, Rolen, or Santana with that extra spot

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Duensing back to the Cubs for 2/$7M :woop:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'd watch chopped if it was between mr redlegs and mr met

I'd watch chopped if it was a medical reality show centered around contestants performing TJ surgery on low A prospects with wacky conditions imposed on them.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Miz Kriss posted:

Oh man, I'd love to see all 4 competitors be MLB mascots. Is the food at either ballpark any good? Only ballparks I've been to are Wrigley and Busch.

You can get a solid hot dog or Polish sausage with grilled onions at Wrigley, but it's lacking in the fun food department compared to most other parks. Last year during every homestand, they had a different local Chicago chef make their take on ballpark food, which was pretty cool. Chefs like Graham Elliott, Rick Bayless, and Stephanie Izard took over the diner in the park and made some creative, albeit overpriced (even for ballpark food) items. The problem was they were only available in one place, and that was at the absolute rear end-end of the concourse on one side, so if your seats weren't near there, prepare for a lot of walking and long lines.

My favorite food item at Wrigley got discontinued between 2016 and 2017. They were Buffalo Chicken Fries, coated it Buffalo sauce with bleu cheese dressing, bleu cheese crumbles, chopped celery, and green onions. But now it's gone and nothing is ever the same anymore. :negative:

As for parks with memorably good food, Camden Yards has a lot of fun food items, especially if you like crab. And pretty much every park on the West Coast has solid garlic fries.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lol I just reread the Passan piece on the MLBPA giving up every dollar advantage they've had for amenities and man Tony Clark needs to get fired yesterday for a real union boss

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/953638763149881344

I know Duensing is pretty old and last year was his first effective season in quite a while, but wow that's cheap. Glad to have him back though.

e. Apparently he turned down more money to return to the Cubs?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/953639446741741568

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 17, 2018

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It's probably less the about weather and more about playing for a good team.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Citi Field food is quite good, much better than Yankee Stadium.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monday_ posted:

The beer, too.

The selection for food at Yankee Stadium is inching towards being acceptable, but it's like as soon as you step through the gates you're in the most stereotypical version of the midwest crossed with an airport terminal. It's insane for any famous destination arena type thing, much less one in New York City.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Monday_ posted:

That's disappointing. I want to attend a Yankees game for the first time this year, and I have high-ish expectations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Go to Miller Park, get drunk as hell at the tailgate and then bloat yourself on the delicious cheese curds inside. Bonus points if the roof is open, extra bonus points if the Brewers lose, mega bonus points if Ryan Braun throws a baby tantrum or gets injured.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I was actually shocked at how good the food and drink options at Angel Stadium are. Especially given the general kind of decrepitude of the place overall.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

YeahTubaMike posted:

That's disappointing. I want to attend a Yankees game for the first time this year, and I have high-ish expectations.

Why would they bother making sure the food's good at Yankees Stadium? It's not like they have to work to draw in the crowd. Same deal at Wrigley, sans a couple of stands (in the bleachers of all places) or private clubs, it's poo poo food and poo poo beer all the way.

You want good food and beer, go to Cleveland or something like that where it's the only way they can get people to come.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Yankee Stadium looks like it was influenced by Soviet bloc apartment architecture. I had a bad experience sitting in the bleachers, so whatever you do don't get bleacher seats. I guess the rest of the stadium is fine though, the food was nothing special from what I remember.

Citi Field was a much more pleasant experience.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Go to Miller Park, get drunk as hell at the tailgate and then bloat yourself on the delicious cheese curds inside. Bonus points if the roof is open, extra bonus points if the Brewers lose, mega bonus points if Ryan Braun throws a baby tantrum or gets injured.

As good a time as any to remind the thread: gently caress Ryan Braun.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I'd say the Angels did a good job of introducing new food options beyond the bare minimum selection of nachos/hotdogs for food and bud/coors/miller beer selections. I'd like to see a rotating selection of some more local (Orange County, not San Diego) beers each homestand like they did with their food selection at one of the eateries. They've got a decent selection now that they have a Saint Archer and Ballast Point now, which are billion dollar breweries but at least have SoCal roots.

They've got a "Change Up Kitchen" which has a completely different menu each homestand. The last homestand had Oktoberfest themed stuff and I had schnitzel, potato salad, and bacon brusselsprouts. It was awesome.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I was actually shocked at how good the food and drink options at Angel Stadium are. Especially given the general kind of decrepitude of the place overall.

With the exception of O.co, every West Coast ballpark I've been to has owned pretty hard. AT&T and Dodger Stadium in particular had a fantastic selection of beers (and in AT&T's case, a good wine selection as well).

Also while O.co is falling apart and their food/drink selection leaves a lot to be desired, the tickets are cheap as hell, parking is cheap and easy, and every A's fan I've interacted with there has been great, even when I sat in the bleachers as the A's got shutout by the Cubs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Nail Rat posted:

Why would they bother making sure the food's good at Yankees Stadium? It's not like they have to work to draw in the crowd. Same deal at Wrigley, sans a couple of stands (in the bleachers of all places) or private clubs, it's poo poo food and poo poo beer all the way.

The bleachers at Wrigley are one of two places in the city you can still get Hot Doug's sausages. The other being on a specialty pizza at Piece. They used to also have what I called a "meat tornado" but I have no idea the real name of it. It was a cone of bread filled with BBQ pulled pork and macaroni & cheese. It was also bleachers-only, so just like with the guest chefs thing, it's disappointingly restricted as to where you can get the good food at Wrigley.

Good Dog posted:

They've got a "Change Up Kitchen" which has a completely different menu each homestand. The last homestand had Oktoberfest themed stuff and I had schnitzel, potato salad, and bacon brusselsprouts. It was awesome.

Wrigley did this for its 100th anniversary. They had a place called "decade dogs" where each homestand they had a hot dog based around a different decade. The '50s was a TV dinner dog that had mashed potatoes and corn on it.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 17, 2018

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nail Rat posted:

You want good food and beer, go to Cleveland or something like that where it's the only way they can get people to come.

That's a good point. The food is fantastic at Citizens Bank Park, and the drinks at Citi Field are top notch.

Popete posted:

Yankee Stadium looks like it was influenced by Soviet bloc apartment architecture. I had a bad experience sitting in the bleachers, so whatever you do don't get bleacher seats. I guess the rest of the stadium is fine though, the food was nothing special from what I remember.

Citi Field was a much more pleasant experience.

I'm not in the market for bleacher seats. If I go to a Yankees game, it's going to be as a treat to myself.

Pancakes posted:

As good a time as any to remind the thread: gently caress Ryan Braun.

Always.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sydin posted:

With the exception of O.co, every West Coast ballpark I've been to has owned pretty hard. AT&T and Dodger Stadium in particular had a fantastic selection of beers (and in AT&T's case, a good wine selection as well).

Also while O.co is falling apart and their food/drink selection leaves a lot to be desired, the tickets are cheap as hell, parking is cheap and easy, and every A's fan I've interacted with there has been great, even when I sat in the bleachers as the A's got shutout by the Cubs.

If parking is a concern at a sporting event, you're living somewhere terrible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Wrigley did this for its 100th anniversary. They had a place called "decade dogs" where each homestand they had a hot dog based around a different decade. The '50s was a TV dinner dog that had mashed potatoes and corn on it.

This sounds weird, but in a good “I could eat that” fat guy way. I assume the 1900’s dog was just a copy of The Jungle in a bun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If parking is a concern at a sporting event, you're living somewhere terrible.

Bay Area traffic is bad and parking in SF, particularly in the area around AT&T, is not exactly pleasant, yes.

• Locked thread