Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Affi posted:

Wish theyd remake islands to be less annoying but instead they add more. Ugh.

i hope mann starts with a fort

SkySteak posted:

Is there any tricks to ensuring you don't bleed all your manpower away in wars? I found that early to mid game, all it seems to take a is a couple of battles and sieges to slowly chip away at your manpower pool. After that it feels like you're just sitting there waiting for it to get back to a usable level, and missing out on chances further expand. Is it simply a case of mercing up hard (if you can afford it) or is there a way to actually maintain a good manpower pool?

What also doesn't help is that a lot of fights end up being in places where you have to cross rivers, ensuring that said fights are quite a bit more drawn out than they should be, thanks to the modifiers involved.

quantity solves manpower issues like woah. the ideas don't look super impressive but once you take it you just stop running out of dudes.

otherwise make sure you're not using more regiments to siege than you need to, bring a cannon if they're unlocked, and use as many mercs as you can afford more mercs than you can afford and make sure they're the ones eating attrition if anyone has to.

also build a barracks or two on your best manpower provinces, they give pretty good ROI compared to mercs

Prav fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I hope controlling Maan as Mann is an achievement.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xinder posted:

I hope controlling Maan as Mann is an achievement.

Maan O Mann

The jokes just write themselves honestly. Where No Mann Has Gone Before: as Mann, be the first European nation to discover the new world
Mann’s Best Friend: as Mann, keep an alliance for at least 100 years
Mann Vs Machine: destroy 10 manufactories as Mann

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

SkySteak posted:

Is there any tricks to ensuring you don't bleed all your manpower away in wars? I found that early to mid game, all it seems to take a is a couple of battles and sieges to slowly chip away at your manpower pool. After that it feels like you're just sitting there waiting for it to get back to a usable level, and missing out on chances further expand. Is it simply a case of mercing up hard (if you can afford it) or is there a way to actually maintain a good manpower pool?

What also doesn't help is that a lot of fights end up being in places where you have to cross rivers, ensuring that said fights are quite a bit more drawn out than they should be, thanks to the modifiers involved.

Make sure the modifiers are in your favour. Let them attack over rivers or onto hills or forests. That's obvious but often you have the numbers advantage and you take the fast win over the smart one.

Several fast wins = Bled out manpower.

Mercs mercs mercs. I keep a core of artillery and horses and just enough infantry to avoid penalties if I have to kill rebels or maybe have a fast war against smaller nations.
Then fill up on mercs when you war.

If you have loads of military points then develop military power in provinces.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

In addition to what others have said re: manpower, remember that replenishment is based off your max pool size. This is why the Quantity idea are so effective, +50% max manpower is effectively +50% replenishment so the first two ideas in the group give you a whopping 70% extra replenishment on top of having heaps more in your pool to start with. This also means building barracks in high military development provinces boosts replenishment too. I usually build barracks anywhere it'll boost pool size by 500 men or more. If you have whichever expansion gives estates (Rights of Man?) and have mil points to spare, dump them into developing your nobility provinces and build barracks on them, it adds up. A 1/1/3 Nobility province with a barracks gives a considerable 1350 manpower.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 17, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
We're going back to the discussion of why Defensive, Quality and Offensive are better than Quantity, because Quantity mostly teaches bad things, right?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Affi posted:

Make sure the modifiers are in your favour. Let them attack over rivers or onto hills or forests. That's obvious but often you have the numbers advantage and you take the fast win over the smart one.

Several fast wins = Bled out manpower.

Mercs mercs mercs. I keep a core of artillery and horses and just enough infantry to avoid penalties if I have to kill rebels or maybe have a fast war against smaller nations.
Then fill up on mercs when you war.

If you have loads of military points then develop military power in provinces.

This is something I am not used to. I suppose when you see an enemy start to siege down your provinces, it can pressure you to go after them before they can complete sieges. On top of that it's quite easy to rush through on speed 3, and not really care for your manpower! I'll keep all of this in mind next time and try and ensure that I don't just bleed manpower away.

Also will take note of mercs who I always used as a panic button if needed, as opposed to actively making them a core part of my army. I suppose the costs were discouraging so I felt pressured to just dump them as fast as possible.

But yeah! Thank you for all the help with this!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you're at MIL7 or higher, I strongly suggest using the artillery barrage option for sieges. 50 MIL sounds expensive, but it effectively shaves at least 3 months off of a siege. That saves you manpower and has a compounding effect of making the war quicker. I basically always have MIL focus on in my games.

Also be careful with taking quantity ideas, because the +50% to force limit makes gaining professionalism and pips for your generals significantly more expensive.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Also be careful with taking quantity ideas, because the +50% to force limit makes gaining professionalism and pips for your generals significantly more expensive.

those things should be derived from something like your mil dev or base force limit, and not net force limit imo

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're at MIL7 or higher, I strongly suggest using the artillery barrage option for sieges. 50 MIL sounds expensive, but it effectively shaves at least 3 months off of a siege. That saves you manpower and has a compounding effect of making the war quicker. I basically always have MIL focus on in my games.

Are artillery barrages a DLC feature? I’ve only ever seen the option to storm the walls after they’ve randomly been breached.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Are artillery barrages a DLC feature? I’ve only ever seen the option to storm the walls after they’ve randomly been breached.

Yeah, Mandate of Heaven unfortunately.

Prav posted:

those things should be derived from something like your mil dev or base force limit, and not net force limit imo

That would then cause quantity to have the opposite effect of making your professionalism gain insanely efficient, which is counterintuitive. It should be harder to maintain a large professional army, and I think it's a pretty good indirect nerf to quantity ideas.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 17, 2018

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

skasion posted:

Maan O Mann

The jokes just write themselves honestly. Where No Mann Has Gone Before: as Mann, be the first European nation to discover the new world

No Mann is an Island: Control 100 non-island provinces as Mann

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Prav posted:

otherwise make sure you're not using more regiments to siege than you need to, bring a cannon if they're unlocked, and use as many mercs as you can afford more mercs than you can afford and make sure they're the ones eating attrition if anyone has to.

Do more people make sieges go faster? It's sometimes seemed like yes but I can't be sure. I know there is a threshold where you aren't making progress at all.

At the moment, one my tactics is to have an army of mercs called "Raiders" that I send into the back lines of enemy territory to siege down forts, carpet siege provinces and generally cause trouble. This often makes the AI split forces or send their entire armies on long marches to hunt my units down, which (if I am careful about timing) I can evacuate with ships. It generates unrest for them and income for me. It often lets me take important war score capitals or similar when I get dragged into massive wars by my foolish allies.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 17, 2018

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Thank you for the tips. I was also going to ask if there is any tips for playing Brandenburg? It seems fun but it feels quite weak and I get the inclination that it relies upon Poland not hating your guts. I am not used to being a duchy with only no money and a weakish army (at least initially) Is there anything to look out for or keep in mind?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Soup du Jour posted:

No Mann is an Island: Control 100 non-island provinces as Mann

You've got that all wrong.

No, Mann is an Island!: Control all islands as Mann

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I seem to recall hearing a statement that they would not put any of the DLC on sale again, is that true?
Because drat I only have 4 of them and a lot of the time it feels like I'm shoehorned into playing certain nations because other ones are gimpy without their reworks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Thank you for the tips. I was also going to ask if there is any tips for playing Brandenburg? It seems fun but it feels quite weak and I get the inclination that it relies upon Poland not hating your guts. I am not used to being a duchy with only no money and a weakish army (at least initially) Is there anything to look out for or keep in mind?

Make sure to grab Danzig before Poland get's it. You have to become Protestant or Reformed to form Prussia which means you're going to have to fight Austria in the League wars, but until then make sure you stay on their good side so you can use them to deter Poland and Denmark from trying to start poo poo with you.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I seem to recall hearing a statement that they would not put any of the DLC on sale again, is that true?
Because drat I only have 4 of them and a lot of the time it feels like I'm shoehorned into playing certain nations because other ones are gimpy without their reworks.

There's a zero percent chance this is true.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

Do more people make sieges go faster? It's sometimes seemed like yes but I can't be sure. I know there is a threshold where you aren't making progress at all.

No.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

Infantry and cavalry don't, artillery does. Rule of thumb is that a regiment of artillery always helps, above that having one big stack of artillery gets you bigger bonuses. Caveat: Artillery with no support will be massacred if the enemy attacks them, so generally don't leave them undefended unless the enemy has no army left.

One regiment of artillery gets you a +1 siege modifier, from there it scales based on the ratio of your artillery to the fort level. By default this modifier caps out at +5. If you have Mandate of Heaven, then in the Age of Revolutions it can cap at +8 if you pick the corresponding Age bonus. The scaling works as follows: You get a bonus equal to (# of Artillery regiments /Fort Level +1). For a Castle, that means the breakpoints are 1, 4, 6, 8 and 10 regiments.

Rather than memorize ratios, I would suggest consulting the wiki instead. The article on land warfare is huge, but you can just control + f for 'Dice Roll', and then you'll get to the relevant section. You can find the article here: https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Land_warfare#Sieges

Generally speaking, folks in the thread (myself included, obviously :)) will be happy to answer any questions you may have. But if those questions concern game mechanics, it's usually faster to look it up on the wiki. It's generally up to date, informative, and very thorough. I myself looked up the ratios while writing this post, since I wasn't sure if I'd remembered correctly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maan O Mann Oman

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A while back I got this game and decided to buy a few DLCs that were on sale on HB

Jesus loving christ is playing the game without all of them schizophrenic. Why is giving vassals land tied behind the Cossacks, the only one not on sale, of all things? Same with colonial stances. Before I got, one of them, I couldn't develop land but without developing you couldn't develop to get institutions so you were turbofucked if you weren't in Europe, because all of them spawn there pretty much.

The game is also way less ahistorical than CK2. Apparently there's lucky nations that always are the same? What the gently caress.

Also it's loving bullshit that Andalusia has a thriving colonial empire and then dipshit OPM Portugal gets Colonialism just because. I got so mad at that I just broke truce to take them and uhhh, then got pummeled into the ground

also sitting with a drat ole guide next to me to go through the arcane poo poo that is the combat is a mixed blessing after ck2

At least it isn't just "slam more mans into them = victory" I suppose

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 17, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can turn off lucky nations in the options.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

At least it isn't just "slam more mans into them = victory" I suppose

I still play like this except just make sure your miltech is equal or better, though I have only played like 300 hours of this game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fellblade posted:

I still play like this except just make sure your miltech is equal or better, though I have only played like 300 hours of this game.

Yeah this is usually feasible keeping in mind 1) to have a good general and 2) not attacking on enormously unfavorable terrain. There’s a couple of exceptions even then, but it’s mostly specific nations who just have supersoldiers and you quickly learn that you need to bring even more mans than usual to deal with them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

use isthereanydeal and set up an alarm for price drops to the dlcs you don't have.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gaius Marius posted:

You can turn off lucky nations in the options.

Or semi-randomize them. (I think it tends to pick 'big' nations, not one province native americans or whatever)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The AI formed Prussia, became protestant, led and won the religious league war, is the HRE emperor, and is about to revoke the privilegia. I've never been so proud of the AI before.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what are people's opinions and tips on using mercs during the early game. I'm running into manpower problems so they'd be useful but I'm also a poor nation making their expense somewhat problematic.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

The AI formed Prussia, became protestant, led and won the religious league war, is the HRE emperor, and is about to revoke the privilegia. I've never been so proud of the AI before.

Wow jeez. Idk if the AI will be smart enough to take advantage of it, but I’d be scared as poo poo if that happened while I had a single province in continental Europe

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Im happy with new stuff for low countries/the isles, but dang if spain couldnt use some love

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

double nine posted:

what are people's opinions and tips on using mercs during the early game. I'm running into manpower problems so they'd be useful but I'm also a poor nation making their expense somewhat problematic.

Where are you playing? If you're a weak nation looking to expand you probably don't have much alternative but to use mercenaries. It really depends what you're trying to accomplish though, ideal play is to let your allies tank all the manpower losses but letting mercenaries tank your manpower losses is the next best thing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Eldred posted:

Where are you playing? If you're a weak nation looking to expand you probably don't have much alternative but to use mercenaries. It really depends what you're trying to accomplish though, ideal play is to let your allies tank all the manpower losses but letting mercenaries tank your manpower losses is the next best thing.

Ethiopia. I'm trying to beeline south before the mamluks get into a fight with ottomans, this means perpetual war with everyone and completely drains manpower.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
All the DLC except the Cossacks is on sale right now on Humble Bundle

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

skasion posted:

Maan O Mann

Manndarine Chinese: as Mann, own all of China

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Has anyone done a Poland achievement run recently? The achievement to eliminate the Sejm (One King to Rule) previously required absolute monarchy but that obviously doesn't exist anymore. Thew tooltip now just has a big ol red X by "Is not administrative monarchy". I have the despotic monarchy it put me in at the end of the chain.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

skasion posted:

Wow jeez. Idk if the AI will be smart enough to take advantage of it, but I’d be scared as poo poo if that happened while I had a single province in continental Europe

Thankfully I'm Kilwa, so even if the AI was smart enough (it hasn't been the two other times I've seem them revoke,) they have a huge Ottoman ally they would need to break through to get to me. But yes, if I was France or PLC, I'd be a little anxious.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why do my vassals hate me for letting them go? Why are vassals so incredibly gimped? Why can't I let them wage their own wars?

So many questions

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why do my vassals hate me for letting them go? Why are vassals so incredibly gimped? Why can't I let them wage their own wars?

So many questions

You’re their rightful lord and are responsible for their safety. You can’t just be like “lol not my problem, bye bitch” and give them a kick on the rear end, or they will feel abandoned and salty (not to mention diplomatically isolated and vulnerable). The point of vassals is essentially that you can use them to dodge admin power coring costs by giving them the territory you conquer and later annexing them. They pay the admin cost and core the territory, and you pay later in diplo power instead. They can’t wage their own wars because they have no right to conduct their own foreign policy, if they do it’s because they’re intriguing with your enemies to break free of your suzerainty. Wage war on their behalf, instead, and reap the benefit.

e: if you want them to be a bit more useful in a fight, you can make them a march, which gives them some military bonuses to help them punch above their weight and slightly changes how you can interact with them. It still won’t let them make war on their own though, and you will need to switch them back to a regular vassal (pissing them off) when you want to annex them.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 18, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

So many questions

Because this isn't crusader kings 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

double nine posted:

No Mann's Skye. too easy
Hum-Mann Revolution. Own Hum, become a revolutionary country.
Rights of Mann - win a trade war after being embargoed.
Mannhattan project - get 100 power projection.
To Serve Mann - have 5 vassals with low/no liberty desire.

skasion posted:

Maan O Mann

PittTheElder posted:

You've got that all wrong.

No, Mann is an Island!: Control all islands as Mann

pog boyfriend posted:

Manndarine Chinese: as Mann, own all of China

:perfect: