Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

due to recent discussion in this thread, i re-downloaded ADOM and DoomRL. neither of them come with pre-baked laptop keyboard configurations. classy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

due to recent discussion in this thread, i re-downloaded ADOM and DoomRL. neither of them come with pre-baked laptop keyboard configurations. classy

Aha, but adom does diagonals when you press both cardinals at once. Only one I know that does it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My HJKLYUBN's for DoomRL, with the stuff I changed commented out. I only had to alter the look button and like one or two other things:
code:
Keybindings = {
	["LEFT"]         = COMMAND_WALKWEST,
	["H"]	         = COMMAND_WALKWEST,
	["RIGHT"]        = COMMAND_WALKEAST,
	["L"]            = COMMAND_WALKEAST,
	["UP"]           = COMMAND_WALKNORTH,
	["K"]            = COMMAND_WALKNORTH,
	["DOWN"]         = COMMAND_WALKSOUTH,
	["J"]	         = COMMAND_WALKSOUTH,
	["PGUP"]         = COMMAND_WALKNE,
	["U"]	         = COMMAND_WALKNE,
	["PGDOWN"]       = COMMAND_WALKSE,
	["N"]	         = COMMAND_WALKSE,
	["HOME"]         = COMMAND_WALKNW,
	["Y"]	         = COMMAND_WALKNW,
	["END"]          = COMMAND_WALKSW,
	["B"]            = COMMAND_WALKSW,
	["ESCAPE"]       = COMMAND_ESCAPE,
	["CENTER"]       = COMMAND_WAIT,
	["PERIOD"]       = COMMAND_WAIT,
	["ENTER"]        = COMMAND_OK,
	["M"]            = COMMAND_MORE,
	["SHIFT+PERIOD"] = COMMAND_ENTER,
	["SHIFT+U"]      = COMMAND_UNLOAD,
	["G"]            = COMMAND_PICKUP,
	["D"]            = COMMAND_DROP,
	["I"]            = COMMAND_INVENTORY,
	["E"]            = COMMAND_EQUIPMENT,
	["O"]            = COMMAND_OPEN,
	["C"]            = COMMAND_CLOSE,
--	["L"]	         = COMMAND_LOOK,
	["X"]		     = COMMAND_LOOK,
	["SPACE"]        = COMMAND_GRIDTOGGLE,
	["F"]            = COMMAND_FIRE,    -- function() command.fire() end,
	["SHIFT+F"]      = COMMAND_ALTFIRE, -- function() command.fire( true ) end,
	["R"]            = function() command.reload() end,
	["SHIFT+R"]      = function() command.reload( true ) end,
--	["U"]            = COMMAND_USE,
	["A"]            = COMMAND_USE,
	["SHIFT+Q"]      = function() command.quit() end,
	["SHIFT+SLASH"]  = function() command.help() end,
	["SHIFT+2"]      = COMMAND_PLAYERINFO,
	["SHIFT+S"]      = COMMAND_SAVE,
	TAB              = COMMAND_TACTIC,
	["COMMA"]        = COMMAND_RUNMODE,
	["Z"]            = COMMAND_SWAPWEAPON,
--	F10       = function() command.screenshot() end, -- currently hardcoded
--	F9        = function() command.screenshot( true ) end,-- currently hardcoded
	["T"]            = COMMAND_TRAITS,
	["SHIFT+9"]      = COMMAND_SOUNDTOGGLE,
	["SHIFT+0"]      = COMMAND_MUSICTOGGLE,
	["SHIFT+P"]      = function() command.messages() end,
	["SHIFT+A"]      = function() command.assemblies() end,
	-- Commands for blind mode:
--	["X"]            = COMMAND_EXAMINENPC,
	["SHIFT+X"]      = COMMAND_EXAMINEITEM,
	-- QuickKeys
	["0"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('chainsaw') end,
	["1"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('knife') end,
	["2"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('pistol') end,
	["3"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('shotgun') end,
	["4"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('ashotgun') end,
	["5"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('dshotgun') end,
	["6"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('chaingun') end,
	["7"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('bazooka') end,
	["8"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('plasma') end,
	["9"]     = function() command.quick_weapon('bfg9000') end,

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I dunno if this is a good place to ask, but anybody know where I could get some actual goddam up to date mods for ToME4 on steam? all the workshop poo poo is like three versions behind.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Here is my minimial-changes adom.kbd. It has hjklyubn for moving, . for wait, and shift+letters for running. The commands that were previously on those letters are moved to alt+letter, or :letter if alt was already taken. This goes... wherever your adom config directory is. On windows it's Documents\ADOM\Adom_Dat.

edit: Note that the interfaces for aiming bows and the look command seem to unchangeably use number keys no matter what, even though aiming controlled teleports or the "name a monster" command work with your configured movement keys just fine.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 17, 2018

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Ugh. Ugggggggggggh.

So I got into Nuclear Throne last year. It's easily become my favorite pick-up-and-play game in the last few years. It took me a while to even finish my first run because the game kicked my rear end so hard at first but it has a definite steady learning curve and I've worked my way up to the point where I've *alllllmost* but not quite unlocked hard mode (had 2 runs die on 7-2 L1 due to stupid poo poo, one because as YV I unthinkingly exchanged my Lightning Hammer for an Ultra Laser Rifle when my other weapon was a Super Plasma Cannon before exiting 7-1 and then out-of-ammoed myself quickly and died; then the other run got derailed as Steroids on 7-2 because I didn't realize how long the laser swords of the IDPD Elite Telekinetics were and he swiped my stupid rear end through a 1-block-wide wall). Once I unlock it it is going to be very satisfying.

Anyway, with 132 hours on my save file, a few nights ago I took Steroids for a spin and reached 5-2 when suddenly my system bluescreened, startling the poo poo out of me because it was late at night, I had earbuds on, and my 360 controller was locked in infinite vibrate mode. After I calmed down and reset my system, I fixed the issue (sound drivers - at least I believe I did), reopened Steam, and popped open NT. "Your save file has been deleted because the game was not exited properly." gently caress. Steam Cloud was useless and basically did nothing to save me.

I spent the next 30 minutes re-unlocking all the characters before going to bed but I'm just annoyed because I had a decent amount of progress on crowns and also had a couple of the more prestigious skins (like Melting's B-skin), not to mention the RNG of acquiring golden weapons. I know I could hack my save but I don't really feel like it, and at least I didn't have any truly important stuff like (as mentioned) hard mode unlocked yet. Also I now back up my save file on the regular just in case this happens again.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
The first time I got to Andor Drakon I forgot to have any paralysis resistance so I got stunlocked and died instantly. I definitely know what "twenty heart attacks" feels like.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Captainsalami posted:

I dunno if this is a good place to ask, but anybody know where I could get some actual goddam up to date mods for ToME4 on steam? all the workshop poo poo is like three versions behind.
You mean other than manually downloading them from the te4.org addons list?

The "required game version" is arbitrary and generally irrelevant, unless you're playing a (much) older version of tome4.

If you look up the mod's thread on the te4 forums, a lot of the time you might find bug reports and discussion and the modder posting revisions without going back and changing the game version. Or if you check the workshop/te4addons listing to see when the file was published; if it was updated since the latest major version then it is probably compatible.

Some of the addons I wrote have the tomeversion set to 1.5.5 and for some strange reason a few say 1.3.0 but all of them worked with the current version (as of a couple of months ago). Though that does remind me I should probably get around to finishing/publishing a few minor tweaks, and maybe throw them at the workshop too.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Navaash posted:

Ugh. Ugggggggggggh.

So I got into Nuclear Throne last year. It's easily become my favorite pick-up-and-play game in the last few years. It took me a while to even finish my first run because the game kicked my rear end so hard at first but it has a definite steady learning curve and I've worked my way up to the point where I've *alllllmost* but not quite unlocked hard mode (had 2 runs die on 7-2 L1 due to stupid poo poo, one because as YV I unthinkingly exchanged my Lightning Hammer for an Ultra Laser Rifle when my other weapon was a Super Plasma Cannon before exiting 7-1 and then out-of-ammoed myself quickly and died; then the other run got derailed as Steroids on 7-2 because I didn't realize how long the laser swords of the IDPD Elite Telekinetics were and he swiped my stupid rear end through a 1-block-wide wall). Once I unlock it it is going to be very satisfying.

Anyway, with 132 hours on my save file, a few nights ago I took Steroids for a spin and reached 5-2 when suddenly my system bluescreened, startling the poo poo out of me because it was late at night, I had earbuds on, and my 360 controller was locked in infinite vibrate mode. After I calmed down and reset my system, I fixed the issue (sound drivers - at least I believe I did), reopened Steam, and popped open NT. "Your save file has been deleted because the game was not exited properly." gently caress. Steam Cloud was useless and basically did nothing to save me.

I spent the next 30 minutes re-unlocking all the characters before going to bed but I'm just annoyed because I had a decent amount of progress on crowns and also had a couple of the more prestigious skins (like Melting's B-skin), not to mention the RNG of acquiring golden weapons. I know I could hack my save but I don't really feel like it, and at least I didn't have any truly important stuff like (as mentioned) hard mode unlocked yet. Also I now back up my save file on the regular just in case this happens again.

Does the game delete your save if you crash as some kind of save scum abuse measure? because lmao

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just beat Monolith on Hard Mode and :stare: that game does not gently caress around with regards to difficulty. Managed to get a S-rank run on normal mode, but attempting to clear hard mode with less than 13 hits for a S rank sounds drat near impossible with how punishing the final fight is.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Just beat Monolith on Hard Mode and :stare: that game does not gently caress around with regards to difficulty. Managed to get a S-rank run on normal mode, but attempting to clear hard mode with less than 13 hits for a S rank sounds drat near impossible with how punishing the final fight is.

i like that the changes in hard mode actually changed patterns instead of just making bullets faster/more damaging or something lazy like that. All of the bosses have changes that are familiar to the original but still force you to relearn basically every fight.

by the time i beat hard mode i could fairly reliably no-hit all of the basic rooms and most of the bosses, but overlord hard mode and obviously the final battle still kicked my rear end big time

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Is there an actual hard mode that opens up after you beat the post-Overlord boss or is this just the stuff that changes when you pop all the seals? Because I've reached what I suspect is the last form of the last boss once but I'm not even close to being able to do a version of that that's any tougher.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's a separate hard mode

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also "intensity" modifiers that make you do more damage but limit your max HP, to 5 and 1 respectively

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Venuz Patrol posted:

i like that the changes in hard mode actually changed patterns instead of just making bullets faster/more damaging or something lazy like that.
yeah, this was a really nice touch -- even basic enemies get kind of scary (burning ghosts especially get my goat an embarrassing percentage of the time). both changing patterns and adding additional phases to some of the bosses was also fun, if extremely unpleasant the first time you go into it not expecting it. my favorite is the reactor fake-out

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

My HJKLYUBN's for DoomRL, with the stuff I changed commented out. I only had to alter the look button and like one or two other things:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Here is my minimial-changes adom.kbd. It has hjklyubn for moving,

i was just being a whiny jerk and now both of you have reinforced my childish behavior :smug:

nah but really, thank you. these look awesome!!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Anyone still playing Unexplored, I have here a seed that whooped me hard: 1206249147. Main game, Difficulty: Challenging, no extra bosses or puzzles.Thought I'd throw it out as a challenge and see if anyone does better on a run, so I can be properly shamed or roused to a competitive spirit. For context, I went with a warrior, but that doesn't really matter. I'm interested to see how others handle this before I decide to roll a new seed or do something heretical and try again.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I still play Unexplored and will check that seed out tonight.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

RoboCicero posted:

Are you a god

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have no idea how to unlock classes in Unexplored, or even to proceed very far. It's annoying me.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Check out the achievements, Jedit. Wizard is as simple as recharging a fully spent wand, for instance.

As to proceeding very far, are we talking around depth 1-5, 6-10?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LordSloth posted:

Check out the achievements, Jedit. Wizard is as simple as recharging a fully spent wand, for instance.

As to proceeding very far, are we talking around depth 1-5, 6-10?

Yeah, I know what the achievements are, I just have no idea how to achieve them. "Unlock Dildomancer by collecting 30 sex toys in one run!" *never sees a sex toy in 50 runs*

And we're talking depth 1-5. I think I made it to depth 6 once, but that was by mistake.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I think I like CDDA more for its survival game features than its RL features

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

If you just play normally and occasionally save/exit to check the high scores for a reminder you shouldn't have any trouble unlocking some of the classes, especially now that a few requirements (like for the swordsman in particular) have been tweaked. If you're focused on the unlocks themselves I could keep note of some of the more helpful seeds I run across for unlocking.

What difficulty settings are you playing on? I've been messing around on a standard challenging. My first recommendation is going to be heading towards the options menu and making sure your control scheme is on absolute instead of that godawful relative (think resident evil tank controls). I've been thinking about dusting off my dead twitch account and streaming something, maybe tomorrow.

But the most obnoxious but easy early monster to handle, the lizard-types? Well, those fuckers will almost never hit you if you stand still and let them attack first believe it or not. Are any particular monsters giving you trouble? You can get the exact name by pausing the game and then examining them with a right-click. Most Bats and Rats are afraid of fire so a lit torch will let you drive them into a corner.

I can go into a bunch of other stuff once I play tomorrow, whether I have an audience or not I'll at least be thinking about it, taking some notes and giving a set of tips for that particular seed. I'm generally compiling notes for the crafting recipes and puzzles anyways. I can have fun and give less half-assed advice at the same time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

DoomRL: Scavenger is still kinda garbage for Ao100 AoMC. Pulling in Max Carnage seems like a trap anyways, you're practically guaranteed to roll the occasional level where you're facing down two archviles and three mancubi in a wide open area. (I tried running up to melee range but didn't have enough Hellrunner to do it.)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Quick report on Monster Slayers. Overall seems to be kinda fun, but the more I play and see you can really only get late game on cycle decks, gets me really disappointed. There are certain classes that are just miles better out of the gate because they start with a bunch of cycle cards built in, and it's pretty boring to have to build almost the same deck every time if you want to win. I'm hoping that things get fixed / balanced, because after maybe ~4hours in the game, I think i'm already done with it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

PotatoManJack posted:

Quick report on Monster Slayers. Overall seems to be kinda fun, but the more I play and see you can really only get late game on cycle decks, gets me really disappointed. There are certain classes that are just miles better out of the gate because they start with a bunch of cycle cards built in, and it's pretty boring to have to build almost the same deck every time if you want to win. I'm hoping that things get fixed / balanced, because after maybe ~4hours in the game, I think i'm already done with it.

convince me that this isn't a case of someone who misunderstands the fundamental issues relating to Card Advantage :smug:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

convince me that this isn't a case of someone who misunderstands the fundamental issues relating to Card Advantage :smug:

It's quite possible I'm missing something, but come the 3rd dungeon, you're pretty much constantly at a card/AP disadvantage right out of the gate in combat. Although there is some draw out there for the player, I've found it just doesn't compete with that of the enemies, and so in order to compete, you need a constant cycle of cards like chain strike / dagger in order to get to your finishers like backstab (obviously using the rogue here as an example). I could be wrong, and I need more practice with other builds, but my experience has been that cycle decks are the only consistent winning strategy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Reminds me of that one board game about the war of 1812 (I think?) that was a deckbuilder but one side was able to trim useless cards out of their deck, and the other wasn't. People unfamiliar with the genre were about to figure out how overpowered this was entirely on accident.

What I'm saying is don't try to make a game with a card mechanic if you don't know what a standby phase is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Reminds me of that one board game about the war of 1812 (I think?) that was a deckbuilder but one side was able to trim useless cards out of their deck, and the other wasn't. People unfamiliar with the genre were about to figure out how overpowered this was entirely on accident.

What I'm saying is don't try to make a game with a card mechanic if you don't know what a standby phase is.

A Few Acres of Snow is probably the one you're thinking about, but the issue was a little more specific: one side was able to focus much more easily by trimming cards. Martin Wallace patched the issue in Mythotopia, and reportedly perfected his system in A Handful of Stars.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

From what I understand the issue with A Few Acres of Snow pretty much broke the game over its knee.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was looking for some reviews of Dragon Fang Z and I discovered one from a person who has clearly never played a roguelike in their life. Choice quotes like "DragonFangZ - The Rose & Dungeon Of Time from Japanese studio Toydea, is an intriguing and charming mix of genres, utilising both the resource management systems and turn-based combat from traditional JRPG's along with elements such as randomly generated levels and permadeath from roguelikes." And to be clear, dragon fang z is a very traditional roguelike that does pretty much nothing particularly new.

Kind of made me have a terrible realization that there are now lots of people who don't think elements like "resource management" and "turn-based combat" are something traditionally found in roguelikes.

Actually speaking of the game though, if you have a switch (the only place the game's out currently) I really do recommend a buy. It's a pretty breezy (but not easy) game, very reminiscent of Mystery Dungeon games or (I haven't played these but apparently) Shiren the Wanderer. Looks cute, plays fast, and the mechanics are just the right amount of simple for my tastes and fun to play around with. Oh, and the translation is complete rear end but it's not like the game has a story anyway and the mechanics are, thankfully, always understandable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

From what I understand the issue with A Few Acres of Snow pretty much broke the game over its knee.

In Wallace's system you choose an action then play a card to show where you're doing it. If you don't need to do anything in a location any more, you can cull the card for other and draw to the locations you want faster.

Where AFAOS fell down was the the starting positions of the two sides were both fixed and asymmetric. This led to an optimal strategy - the Halifax Hammer - being found quite quickly, where one side would cull rapidly so it could funnel its activity through a key location much faster. The other side didn't have a similar key location, so was forced into more diffused activity.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
DragonFangZ is also coming to PC on Steam in the near future---so we shall see just what the future holds for it.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Soulblight looks cool. The devs are quite active at the community hub on Steam, which is nice to see.

Also

abraksil (dev) posted:

Soulblight has [much] more in common with classical roguelikes than roguelites usually have (6 high, 4-5 low value factors of Berlin definition ). The things that are missing are basically only turn/grid base and ASCII.

colonp fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 20, 2018

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Stelas posted:

DoomRL: Scavenger is still kinda garbage for Ao100 AoMC. Pulling in Max Carnage seems like a trap anyways, you're practically guaranteed to roll the occasional level where you're facing down two archviles and three mancubi in a wide open area. (I tried running up to melee range but didn't have enough Hellrunner to do it.)

The advantage of Max Carnage is that it makes you consistently deadly. You'll never find yourself in a spot where a bad series of rolls meant you couldn't quite finish off your target(s) in time. It does the same for the enemies, of course, but this means that if you have a way of consistently getting the drop on them, you end up taking much less damage overall.

Scout abilities -- specifically Intuition 2 (sense enemies out to sight range + 2) and Cateye (expand sight range by 2) -- provide that edge. Normally enemies have the same vision range you do, so as soon as you have Cateye you can start erasing things before they can even see you, and walls start becoming a liability instead of useful cover.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So I got Slay The Spire and after a bunch of games...it's a good game don't get me wrong, but once you've experienced the fun of what you can do later, the first act is loving bad. You've got no real choices to make in combat, there's nothing to make you really think about what you're going to do. I'd really love the option to just skip to act 2 and have the game toss me a bunch of cards to pick from to make a deck that actually has some synergy instead of praying you get something workable in the first few fights.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Slime posted:

So I got Slay The Spire and after a bunch of games...it's a good game don't get me wrong, but once you've experienced the fun of what you can do later, the first act is loving bad. You've got no real choices to make in combat, there's nothing to make you really think about what you're going to do. I'd really love the option to just skip to act 2 and have the game toss me a bunch of cards to pick from to make a deck that actually has some synergy instead of praying you get something workable in the first few fights.

Is this not true for all the roguelike deckbuilders? Monster Slayers has the exact same problem too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah Dream Quest is my favorite in the genre and it still mostly has this problem. Once you have an idea of the good archetypes for your class you're mostly on autopilot floor 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Slime posted:

I'm hoping the game will include some kind of skip ahead option at release.