Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jessica could still theoretically fly, but yeah ostensibly she's the "strong" one and Luke's the "tough" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

This came up when my wife and I watched the Defender's, but you don't want to make Luge Cage too strong.
Otherwise he'd eclipse Jessica Jones if he is as strong as her AND has bullet proof skin.

STAC Goat posted:

Jessica could still theoretically fly, but yeah ostensibly she's the "strong" one and Luke's the "tough" one.

I'm not talking about stronger, I'm just talking about appearance. And I'm asking because I can't remember if they went into it more like 'Oh poo poo, it's not just your skin, this goes all the way to your nerves, we probably couldn't cut through a vein with a chainsaw' or not. Do you guys think that Luke could go from this

to this if he worked out?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea probably but that’s a trick bodybuilders do to make them look jacked. Hugh Jackman is pretty jacked regardless but there’s weight cutting tricks you do to make you look insane like that.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

In order to do that he wouldn't have to build any more muscle at all, he'd just have to go on a diet to lose some fat and get ripped

but then he'd look smaller and less BIG

and big is good

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
His insides are still gooey obviously, based on his injuries in JJ and the fact that the special bullets in Luke Cage actually hurt him, whether his muscles and skin will actually get bigger.... like who knows. The writers probably haven't even thought about it really and probably don't need to. In the comics he can work out and keeps fit by lifting crazily huge stuff, most characters who are super strong and invincible can. Unless they want to do some sort of "gah my powers are a curse" type story then generally they just get to look exactly as awesome as the artist wants to draw the character.

There was a one off issue in a series about a school/training camp for heroes a few years ago where there was a super out of shape kid who was completely indestructible and his body literally couldn't change other than natural aging, he dropped out of the training camp because he could never be a hero but they suggested he would be great at search and rescue in inhospitable climates or like exploring and poo poo. Was a pretty great issue.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not talking about stronger, I'm just talking about appearance. And I'm asking because I can't remember if they went into it more like 'Oh poo poo, it's not just your skin, this goes all the way to your nerves, we probably couldn't cut through a vein with a chainsaw' or not. Do you guys think that Luke could go from this

Apparently when "strong" guys actually look like Jackman they are physically at their weakest because it's fasting and slowing down your water intake that gets every single muscle striation popping through your skin like that. So an actual works-every-day strong guy would just be a big burly motherfucker. I think Kingpin sells that physicality perfectly.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

There was a one off issue in a series about a school/training camp for heroes a few years ago where there was a super out of shape kid who was completely indestructible and his body literally couldn't change other than natural aging, he dropped out of the training camp because he could never be a hero but they suggested he would be great at search and rescue in inhospitable climates or like exploring and poo poo. Was a pretty great issue.

Butterball, from Avengers: The Initiative. He wasn’t a kid, pretty sure he was in his 30s or so. And I’m also pretty sure he didn’t age, either. He literally couldn’t feel anything, either, if I remember right.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Apparently when "strong" guys actually look like Jackman they are physically at their weakest because it's fasting and slowing down your water intake that gets every single muscle striation popping through your skin like that. So an actual works-every-day strong guy would just be a big burly motherfucker. I think Kingpin sells that physicality perfectly.

That and stuff like slathering yourself in Preparation H, to keep the skin tight.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I like to think that The Greatest Showman isn't actually a movie, and some dude is just putting up posters about how great Hugh Jackman is.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

There has been awfully little conversation about JJ2.

Do we have any info other than the teaser that got released? Do we know who the villain will be?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Comes out March 8th. The breadcrumbs from season 1 point to Nuke and the people who created Nuke also having something to do with Jessica's powers. Rampant internet speculation that a person was cast who could possibly be the Daredevil villain Typhoid Mary.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

AngryBooch posted:

Comes out March 8th. The breadcrumbs from season 1 point to Nuke and the people who created Nuke also having something to do with Jessica's powers. Rampant internet speculation that a person was cast who could possibly be the Daredevil villain Typhoid Mary.

Lack of corporate accountability for the damages their greed and neglect causes would be a real topical pick for next season's theme.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

thebardyspoon posted:

His insides are still gooey obviously, based on his injuries in JJ and the fact that the special bullets in Luke Cage actually hurt him, whether his muscles and skin will actually get bigger.... like who knows. The writers probably haven't even thought about it really and probably don't need to. In the comics he can work out and keeps fit by lifting crazily huge stuff, most characters who are super strong and invincible can. Unless they want to do some sort of "gah my powers are a curse" type story then generally they just get to look exactly as awesome as the artist wants to draw the character.

What? No. They had like 3 episodes about how his insides are so tough they keep breaking scapels. The bullets only work because they’re scifi magic so they can break both his skin and muscles.

And I’m sure every character, including Luke cage and JJ, could get Bruce lee muscles popping if they wanted to. But why would they want to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Billzasilver posted:

What? No. They had like 3 episodes about how his insides are so tough they keep breaking scapels. The bullets only work because they’re scifi magic so they can break both his skin and muscles

Uh no dude that’s why they give him the injection in his mucus membrane.

In the show they explain that Luke’s epidermal skin cells fold like ceramic plates instead of bonding to one another to form skin. His body isn’t super tough, it’s just super dense and constructed in a very sturdy way, that why they need to weaken his skin with all that chemical acid junk.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Do you remember them poking at the bullet hole, already through the skin?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Samizdata posted:

That and stuff like slathering yourself in Preparation H, to keep the skin tight.

Tell me more about this magic.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Habibi posted:

Tell me more about this magic.

I'm a goon, not a goon that lifts heavy things. There are also special routines to deal with making the skin tight. That's all I got.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's supposed to be good for bags under your eyes, too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There's some old home remedy for wrinkles that says if you use Preparation H on your eyes it like restricts the blood vessels and tightens the skin or something. So I guess some actors or weight lifters figure if they use it on their muscles it will give them that dehydrated muscles breaking out of your skin look.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Billzasilver posted:

Do you remember them poking at the bullet hole, already through the skin?

Was that when they had him submerged in the acid bath?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Field Mousepad posted:

Was that when they had him submerged in the acid bath?

No it was in the dark room, like 5 minutes after he got shot the first time

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We have a date for JJS2.

https://twitter.com/Krystenritter/status/954149560913362944

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yes, we've known that for a month or so, Netflix put out a video and everything.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

There's some old home remedy for wrinkles that says if you use Preparation H on your eyes it like restricts the blood vessels and tightens the skin or something.

This is true, but the US formulation of PrepH was modified to work differently, in order to discourage off-label usage.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"Preparation H: For Your Butt Only"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

It was a bad idea for Jackman to risk his health like that but on the other hand, no one will ever look that much like Wolverine ever again.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder if that's going to be the trend forever.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder if that's going to be the trend forever.

Kids not thinking their parents are cool? Good chance.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That Hugh Jackman one is real good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I swear I remember a time when Wolverine was canonically 5'3". The Meanest Manlet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

I swear I remember a time when Wolverine was canonically 5'3". The Meanest Manlet.

Wasn't that long ago, and it's one of the reasons people flipped poo poo when Jackman was cast, because he's so tall. There were campaigns to replace him with loving Danzig.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Casting discussion based on who already looks like a fictional character is the dumbest thing, and Danzig doesn't need his ego to swell any further.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

The best part is that he's 5'3 and like 300 lbs but because his bones don't stress he's capable of benching like 700-800 lbs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bust Rodd posted:

The best part is that he's 5'3 and like 300 lbs but because his bones don't stress he's capable of benching like 700-800 lbs.

And he's super cool and gets all the ladies and when he's not around all the other super heroes ask "Hey, where's wolverine?"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And he's super cool and gets all the ladies and when he's not around all the other super heroes ask "Hey, where's wolverine?"

And he's all "Get me another stogie, bub!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like the part where a 350 year old man who is completely emotionally retarded from multiple lifetimes worth of ultra-violence and the unspeakable horrors of being a soldier who cannot die falls in love with a women in her mid-20's, assaults her fiance', and somehow remains the most beloved and cherished team-member.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Bust Rodd posted:

I like the part where a 350 year old man who is completely emotionally retarded from multiple lifetimes worth of ultra-violence and the unspeakable horrors of being a soldier who cannot die falls in love with a women in her mid-20's, assaults her fiance', and somehow remains the most beloved and cherished team-member.

Alphas are like that, bro.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Halloween Jack posted:

Casting discussion based on who already looks like a fictional character is the dumbest thing, and Danzig doesn't need his ego to swell any further.

Counterpoint: Professor X / Patrick Stewart. Somewhere in my parents' storage is a 1993 Wizard magazine testifying to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The only time I've ever liked Cyclops was that time when he wakes up in bed next to Emma Frost, and Wolverine is like perched on the end of the bed going "Well, well," and Cyclops is like "Says the rear end in a top hat who spent years trying to gently caress my wife."