Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Convex posted:

Playing Mad Max at the moment and absolutely loving it in general, but holy poo poo why is it normal to have to hold the button down to get in a car or pick up a piece of scrap? Loads of games seem to have started doing this and I don't understand why, it just makes everything feel slow and unresponsive.

Yeah I saw the first 30 seconds of metal gear survive and bailed because there were like four items/actions performed within moments and they all required filling up a circle by holding the button. It's maddening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Silent Hill 2 had the worst twist cause I hear Mary ask James why he killed her when you get the radio.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah to be honest everything you guys posted to argue it's not supposed to be a twist just makes it feel like Arkane are simply bad at keeping twists under wraps.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nuebot posted:

Not really though, the game constantly talks about memory modification and experiments where they were injecting human DNA and memories into the aliens. January, the AI programmed to act like Morgan Yu, also constantly says things like "I DIDN'T EXPECT YOU TO ACT SO HUMAN, HOW SURPRISING". It's the single most telegraphed "twist" I've seen in a game in ages.

Except that the Morgan you play in-game is actually Morgan. It's only the typhon you wake up as after the story ends that isn't Morgan.. Also saying that the game 'constantly' does what you says it does is a little incorrect - I think it mentions that maybe once or twice, and more in a hypothetical sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The final twist or whatever you want to call it is lame because all it was all a dream simulation!! endings are just kinda lame conceptually, regardless of how well they are established.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Prey is basically System Shock 3 without the actual license so even if you don't like what it does it's still miles ahead of System Shock 2's "the person talking in dispassionate glitchy voice was actually an AI the entire time!!!" twist and the "'...nah :cool:' -gunshot, explosion, fade to black-" ending.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy Mann posted:

Prey is basically System Shock 3 without the actual license so even if you don't like what it does it's still miles ahead of System Shock 2's "the person talking in dispassionate glitchy voice was actually an AI the entire time!!!" twist and the "'...nah :cool:' -gunshot, explosion, fade to black-" ending.

That's an amazing ending though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Guy Mann posted:

You sound like you're saying System Shock 2's ending wasn't the best, I don't comprehend

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Danaru posted:

You sound like you're saying System Shock 2's ending wasn't the best, I don't comprehend

Nah!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
But the SHODAN reveal wasn't a twist because she existed beforehand and I figured it out???

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its also possible for a twist to be there for thematic reasons and not lovely "but you were mistaken about everything you know!!!" reasons, which is why I liked Prey's and didn't think it was unearned or pointless.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it was a great reaffirmation of the game's themes. It just wasn't the big twist the game thought it was. :v:

Batman Origins will forever be the best example of that. Everyone knew the Joker was going to be responsible for everything, but the scene where this is shown as framed and presented as a big Gotcha! moment. Even without the foreshadowing it was obvious.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The SS2 twist dragged the game down because the time between Polito-SHODAN, should I be spoilering this speaking to you and you picking up a voice log of real Polito isn't very long, and the two sound nothing alike.

I never played (or much heard of) the original System Shock, and I picked it up quick.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

The SS2 twist dragged the game down because the time between Polito-SHODAN, should I be spoilering this speaking to you and you picking up a voice log of real Polito isn't very long, and the two sound nothing alike.

I actually thought it was a production error when I noticed that. I figured they couldn't get the voice actor and just use a random employee or employee's sister. So, I was still surprised.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Convex posted:

Playing Mad Max at the moment and absolutely loving it in general, but holy poo poo why is it normal to have to hold the button down to get in a car or pick up a piece of scrap? Loads of games seem to have started doing this and I don't understand why, it just makes everything feel slow and unresponsive.

I mean why can't Max just automatically pick up scrap in the first place, it's not like I'm ever going to intentionally leave it on the floor. The new Wolfenstein games do the same thing with health and ammo and it sucks.

I broadly agree, but in Wolfenstein there is the aspect of choosing when to take your health above its normal maximum (for those who havent played them, if you overcharge your health above its normal level it ticks down over time to your regular maximum even if you dont take damage). So there are times I'll leave health lying because I'm close to max health and poking about looking for secrets or whatever, then chow it all down before sprinting to the next action set piece. It would probably be better if you auto-picked up health til you hit your normal max then had you press a button to pick up health consumables that will overcharge you. Though then I'd probably get annoyed when it picked up a +20% health item automatically when I was already at 97%, but probably still preferable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Finished with rear end creed origins and went back to black flag. Forgot how irritating the Apparently random pattern of Capitalising certain Words in the Subtitles was.

Petty as hell but oh my god :argh:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

poptart_fairy posted:

Finished with rear end creed origins and went back to black flag. Forgot how irritating the Apparently random pattern of Capitalising certain Words in the Subtitles was.

Petty as hell but oh my god :argh:

Before English was standardized, all nouns were capitalized.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/10522/capitalisation-of-nouns-in-english-in-the-17th-and-18th-centuries

EDIT:

poptart_fairy posted:

Finished with rear end Creed Origins and went back to black Flag. Forgot how irritating the apparently random Pattern of Capitalising certain Words in the Subtitles was.

Petty as Hell but oh my God :argh:

Vic has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Jan 18, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I apologise that this isn't the thread for it, but is Black Flag worth persevering with beyond the first few hours? I loved Far Cry 3 but hated 4, and the first few hours of Black Flag seem boring as hell.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah it's a great pirate game. Once you have your ship and are free to plunder at will and still not having fun then I'd give up. I loved it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Convex posted:

I loved Far Cry 3 but hated 4

But it's like the same exact game...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

Supposedly the villain wasn't as memorable and stuck around the whole time instead of dying halfway through.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks! I'll give it another shot and try to persevere through the intro to the actual pirate bits.

As regards liking 3 and hating 4, the latter just felt like a facsimile but with a way more boring setting and the random encounter frequency turned up to 120%. I could play tropical island paradise game all day but the Himalayas just came across dull to me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

kazil posted:

The thing about 4 is that both the villain and your allies are insufferable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Well, poo poo.

And yeah, persevere with black flag. Once you get to the point where you can upgrade a town, and a support character tells you to meet them "in a few weeks", you're off the hook and can go nuts. If the game still doesn't interest you after that point then it won't at all.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Samuringa posted:

Far Cry 4 had the clumsiest attempt at making the bad guy seem not that bad, (spoiling just in case)mainly specifically because the first time you meet him he stabs one of his own soldiers to death with a pen, then tortures a guy for like 20 minutes before he finally comes back. "See he's not that bad because he's nice to you in the secret ending!" okay but he stabbed his own soldier and tortured a man you can't just unstab or untorture those guys

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Samuringa posted:

So it's like the exact same game?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Far Cry 4 had the clumsiest attempt at making the bad guy seem not that bad, (spoiling just in case)mainly specifically because the first time you meet him he stabs one of his own soldiers to death with a pen, then tortures a guy for like 20 minutes before he finally comes back. "See he's not that bad because he's nice to you in the secret ending!" okay but he stabbed his own soldier and tortured a man you can't just unstab or untorture those guys

I mean, it’s not that bad in comparison to the religious cleansing or narco state the two “good guys” want to enact. Also the soldier he stabbed did just light up a bus full of civilians and almost kill the son of a woman he still loves. And it’s explicit that he may not have been that bad before, but he loving snapped when the rebels killed his daughter. He’s not presented as a good guy, and most everything he does in the game is presented as pretty bad, but it’s balanced against lovely alternatives and a broken human being. Reminded me of 2 where your enemies sucked, your allies sucked, and you killed yourself in the end to try to cut off some of the cycle of violence

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 01:03 on Jan 19, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

That just sounds like a different way of making a villain besides the cliche of just having them murder their soldiers for the slightest failure.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It always kinda bugged me that even after you've done everything you can do in Saints Row 4, you can't really set the simulation to a pure (for lack of a better term) Steelport. There's still alien poo poo in the center of the city, signs left and right praise Zinyak, etc. Like, putting their name on everything is kinda the Saint's thing

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Convex posted:

I apologise that this isn't the thread for it, but is Black Flag worth persevering with beyond the first few hours? I loved Far Cry 3 but hated 4, and the first few hours of Black Flag seem boring as hell.

Same with me for Far Crys. 4th's lack of oceans hurt a ton, and the AI for humans and animals was dumbed down significantly. Also the upgrade system seemed far less interesting and rewarding. Everything else just feels like a lower-effort version of the first game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

MisterBibs posted:

It always kinda bugged me that even after you've done everything you can do in Saints Row 4, you can't really set the simulation to a pure (for lack of a better term) Steelport. There's still alien poo poo in the center of the city, signs left and right praise Zinyak, etc. Like, putting their name on everything is kinda the Saint's thing

It bugged me that the tech stuff you took over turned blue instead of Saints Purple.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That City Shrouded in Shadow sounds so incredibly my jam but isn't getting an English release

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

Same with me for Far Crys. 4th's lack of oceans hurt a ton, and the AI for humans and animals was dumbed down significantly. Also the upgrade system seemed far less interesting and rewarding. Everything else just feels like a lower-effort version of the first game.

Man I think you nailed it, the lack of sharks and beaches definitely harmed it for me.

In fact I think any game would be improved by adding sharks.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I'd just be happy to play for 3 hours without a crash that locks the PS4 bad enough I have to unplug it from the wall.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Replaying Quake 1 at the moment, only using saves at the start of the levels and it's a blast. It's amazing how much they got right and how even with all the other FPS games since it still has it's own feel and atmosphere.

But that 4th episode is really a dud compared to the rest. The disjointed maps and those bouncing blob enemies especially.

I could never quite put my finger on it, but I think the main problem is that a few of the episode 4 maps rely on a hub area with different paths leading out of them and it's just trial and error or a lot of backtracking. Like go one way and I don't have enough grenades to kill the Shambler there, but go the other and you're facing it with powerups.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Convex posted:

Man I think you nailed it, the lack of sharks and beaches definitely harmed it for me.

In fact I think any game would be improved by adding sharks.

Euro Truck Simulator

Spec Shark Ops: The Line

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'd just be happy to play for 3 hours without a crash that locks the PS4 bad enough I have to unplug it from the wall.

I remember this bug hitting my sister when I got SRIV for Christmas, it was fixed eventually; I wanna say early 2016?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The sparseness of checkpoints in Saints Row 2 really hurt just now - took an hour and a half to get through "The Shopping Maul" (sooo... many.... cars...), but at least now that's two gangs done. Just need to deal with the Ronin, then the endgame stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your mention of Dante's Inferno in another thread reminded me of how terrible that game ends. The game starts out with levels based around the circles of hell and enemies that are being punished for their sins in a specific way. Then as you progress they start reusing enemies and for the last couple of circles they had no idea how to adapt them into videogame levels so instead you just have to go through a terrible challenge section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fuckin' Dark Cloud 2 because I waited through five weeks of holiday sales before buying it for PS4 and then after buying it on Monday it's now $5 instead of $15.

Capitalism :argh: