Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
First guess is the poppet in the out post. If you had a line hooked up to the out post, it could also be the O-ring on the outside of the post, or it could be the seal inside the QD, where the back screws into the body.

It might be the O-ring under the dip tube, but I am having a hard time seeing the leak that holds pressure but leaks beer there.

Any other leak (barring something like a cracked keg) would not have vented gallons of beer like that. You might have lost many pounds of CO2, but not so much beer.

Replace O-rings early and often. It's cheap insurance, and you'll save money in the long run by doing it before there are issues. I keep minimum 100 around of each size I need for the posts and QDs.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I had a freeze once when I drug the inkbird probe out of the keezer while moving kegs and didn't notice it. Caught it in time...ish.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

A few pages back I posted about buying a keg from an odd dude and someone joked about it being a cursed keg...guess which keg was involved in this incident? ;)
Looks like about 1.5 gallons left in the keg, so at least some of it is salvageable. I've got a keg parka on the keg with the temp probe sandwiched between that and the keg so no risk of tape falling off this time. Lesson learned, and now I have an excuse to brew again. Once this keg kicks this weekend, I'll be replacing all the o-rings.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 18, 2018

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
A lot of people, including myself, use water bottles to submerge the probe in. The water acts like a ballast against sudden temp changes, like when the lid is open for a while during keg changes / maintenance, and helps keep everything more stable.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Clark2 posted:

A few pages back I posted about buying a keg from an odd dude and someone joked about it being a cursed keg...guess which keg was involved in this incident? ;)
Looks like about 1.5 gallons left in the keg, so at least some of it is salvageable. I've got a keg parka on the keg with the temp probe sandwiched between that and the keg so no risk of tape falling off this time. Lesson learned, and now I have an excuse to brew again. Once this keg kicks this weekend, I'll be replacing all the o-rings.

I have one of those cursed kegs myself right now. I keep changing out parts, and this time it's one of the poppets that broke and started leaking all over my freezer. It also managed to bleed off a bunch of my CO2, so for the third time in about a year I have to go fill up 20# of it pretty soon.

Force carbing that Belgian IPA already tomorrow morning. It will have taken 8 days total from grain to glass. Pretty happy about that.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

A lot of people, including myself, use water bottles to submerge the probe in. The water acts like a ballast against sudden temp changes, like when the lid is open for a while during keg changes / maintenance, and helps keep everything more stable.

I think I'll be doing this in the future.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I just swamped out my keezer for the 2nd time. That was loving disgusting. The liquid post from my Blueberry Gose was leaking, and I didn't pull it out till it was gone - cue giant rafts of mold floating in a grey-blue Keezer Sauce.

I'd do it more often, but I'm not tall enough to reach down and touch the bottom and it's absolutely hell on my back.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 19, 2018

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

robotsinmyhead posted:

I just swamped out my keezer for the 2nd time. That was loving disgusting. The liquid post from my Blueberry Gose was leaking, and I didn't pull it out till it was gone - cue giant rafts of mold floating in a grey-blue Keezer Sauce.

I'd do it more often, but I'm not tall enough to reach down and touch the bottom and it's absolutely hell on my back.

Oh poo poo. I just realized our kegerator, being a repurposed convenience store glass door cooler, would just dump straight onto my father in law's basement carpet if this ever happened.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
So, that Belgian NEIPA thing that I did.

It tastes good, but green still. It's only been 8 days since I brewed it. There's a lot going on in this glass. I don't think I'll know if I like it until next week, but it looks great.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Alright my buddy and I who normally brew for the super bowl are flipping our tasks this year! I am brewing the IPA and he is brewing the belgian style.
So to turn this around in just over 2 weeks, here is my plan:
5lb Golden Promise
3lb 2 Row
3lb Wheat Malt

1oz Magnum - bittering
1oz Columbus/Simcoe - Whirlpool
1oz Citra/Mosaic - day 1 or 2 hop
1oz Citra/Mosaic cryo - Keg hop

I haven't really done a biotransformation hop before, but it mostly just sounds like 'toss them in at day 2' haha.
Doing all that in a week then giving it a week to sit sounds alright, eh?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

ChiTownEddie posted:

I haven't really done a biotransformation hop before, but it mostly just sounds like 'toss them in at day 2' haha.
Doing all that in a week then giving it a week to sit sounds alright, eh?

I have a friend who's making really good homebrew NEIPAs now - mine are still ok - and he SWEARS by a 2 day early dry hop, then a cold crash, THEN a secondary dry hop when the beer is cold. Apparently that low temp steeping really makes the hop aroma pop.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I have a friend who's making really good homebrew NEIPAs now - mine are still ok - and he SWEARS by a 2 day early dry hop, then a cold crash, THEN a secondary dry hop when the beer is cold. Apparently that low temp steeping really makes the hop aroma pop.

That's an interesting idea. You're going to be cold crashing it anyway when you put it into the keg. Why not do it early and get both dry hop flavors?

This one worked out really well. Lots of stone fruits in it, with just enough citrus to not push anything around. These hops went in on day 3 at some point when it was sitting about 1.020 SG. I let it finish at 1.012. Might have pushed one or two extra points, but the dry hop was done and it was time to package. If I were using bottles it would have gotten to finish when it finished.

@ChiTownEddie If you're going to try for the NEIPA, use oats instead of wheat. It'll help with the cloudy appearance and mouthfeel. I only used 1# of oats in mine. Totally possible to turn it around in time for the superbowl too (unless you're bottling, then you're on a really tight schedule).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jhet posted:

@ChiTownEddie If you're going to try for the NEIPA, use oats instead of wheat. It'll help with the cloudy appearance and mouthfeel. I only used 1# of oats in mine. Totally possible to turn it around in time for the superbowl too (unless you're bottling, then you're on a really tight schedule).

Definitely kegging (hence the keg hops :) )
But I'll consider flaked oats...Definitely going to try out that cold crash then keg hop idea.

Thanks for some feedback goons!!

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 19, 2018

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
Last Saturday, I mashed for my Margarita gose. The efficiency sucked, so I ended up using 2/3rds of my DME to get it up to snuff. I boiled it in the kitchen (gently caress) and as soon as I dumped in the DME, the foam went wild. I've never used DME before.

So I'm frantically stirring and loving with the heat, a few minutes pass for my salt and minimal hops addition and BAM - foam gone. Salt is magic!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

So, that Belgian NEIPA thing that I did.

It tastes good, but green still. It's only been 8 days since I brewed it. There's a lot going on in this glass. I don't think I'll know if I like it until next week, but it looks great.

It took only 8 hours, but this tastes awesome. It's like drinking a peach and apricot smoothie. Not so much on the citrus, but just enough. I now completely understand why people rave over this NEIPA thing.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Jhet posted:

It took only 8 hours, but this tastes awesome. It's like drinking a peach and apricot smoothie. Not so much on the citrus, but just enough. I now completely understand why people rave over this NEIPA thing.

You have a recipe for this you can share?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Clark2 posted:

You have a recipe for this you can share?

10# Pilsner (French)
1# Crystal 10L
1# Oats, Malted
0.5# Melanoiden Malt

1oz Summit 46.3 IBU @45'
1oz Azacca + 1oz Vinnie Special Experimental (5.2 + 3.0 IBU) @ 3'
Belgian Ardennes (Wyeast 3522)
Dry hop near end of fermentation for 3-5 days
1oz each Azacca and Vinnie Special Experimental and 1.63 oz Cascade (because the bag I bought was more than the round number when I split it)

It really would not surprise me if the Vinnie Special Experimental either got renamed again or is dropping out of existence. It's a really nice tasting hop, but there are others that are probably close enough. It's HBC 438 if you're searching for it. https://ychhops.com/varieties/hbc-438

Jhet fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 20, 2018

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Moved most of the poo poo out of our rental today and into our new house. gently caress I’m sore.

Contrary to what my friends might think I can’t drink an entire keg of 11-12% barleywine in less than a month. So the remaining 1-2 gallons sit in a keg that I left in an air conditioned utility room without co2.

How hosed is this batch if I leave it there for a few weeks? It’s the beer I brewed during hurricane Harvey’s pass through Houston.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

LaserWash posted:

Moved most of the poo poo out of our rental today and into our new house. gently caress I’m sore.

Contrary to what my friends might think I can’t drink an entire keg of 11-12% barleywine in less than a month. So the remaining 1-2 gallons sit in a keg that I left in an air conditioned utility room without co2.

How hosed is this batch if I leave it there for a few weeks? It’s the beer I brewed during hurricane Harvey’s pass through Houston.

As long as it's pressurized it should be fine.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Errant Gin Monks posted:

As long as it's pressurized it should be fine.

Seconded. One of the best half-kegs of homebrew I ever had was some Imperial Stout I just stuck in the back of a closet and forgot about for about 9 months. Strong beer keeps pretty well as long as it's under a CO2 blanket, and some kind of temperature control is bonus points on top of that.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My last two brews have tasted biscuity. My last one was the ESB, programer's elbow, from brewing classic styles. Only thing I changed differently was using maris otter, so that explains the biscuity flavor there. My latest brew was a competition beer where we all used 2 row, vienna, carafa I and crystal 60. Even with a bunch of hops that beer tastes very biscuity as well. Are my taste buds going off or is something funky going on with my setup? Both were in the same keg, I did change the keg lines between the two beers since I hadn't changed the lines since I bought them.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
I started my next batch of mead on Thursday. The prior 5 gallons was made using 15 pounds of clover honey in 4 gallons of water, EC-1118, came out to about 19.2%. Primary kept at 68 degrees due to my apartment's hilariously broken AC for a month, then three months in secondary until it settled. Vacuum degassed on transfer. Bottled in October. It never once tasted hot. I have only 4 bottles left, and I'm saving those for graduation in May, but it was delicious every single time I opened a new bottle. This batch is using orange blossom honey, we'll see if anything but the color is different. Same broken AC, so it's still at 68 degrees. Also using EC-1118. Bubbling away faithfully.

I really love making mead. Halfway tempted to start keeping bees whenever I settle permanently so I can just do my own thing all the time with local honey.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I was delayed in kegging the New Year's Day partigyle batch by the flu and work, but today was a quiet day on call so I snuck it in. The strong half came out to about 10.6%, and is going to be amazing in a few months and toward the end of '18 if it lasts that long - I'm going to push it to the back of the serving fridge and try to forget about it once it's fully carbed. The mild half came in around 5.6% and is a really solid American brown.

Jesus In A Can posted:

I really love making mead.

Sounds like your recipes are something like mine have been. Do you add any acids, or any other ingredients apart from honey, water, nutrients, and yeast? I need to get mine to the next level, There's a local apiarist who has delicious raspberry honey, so I'm itching to give that a go. And the cactus honey with cactus fruit, too.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 22, 2018

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
Well, this could be interesting.

Today I bottled an aged blended sour with 1.2lbs/gallon raspberries. I blended a rye sour and a golden sour I brewed for my daughter's birth.

I haven't been this excited about a beer in a while. It's a fantastic blend with the two beers bringing out the best in the fruit.

Unfortunately with something this expensive and I time consuming I had to screw something up... I accidentally reduced my priming sugar too much when heating it and it clumped up into globs when I blended it in the bucket to bottle.

I have no idea how much got dissolved into solution so I just primed it again with the same amount. (Over carbed is better than undercarbed...??) It's going in champagne bottles so they won't explode....but it may be over 5vol CO2 if everything dissolved.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

calandryll posted:

My last two brews have tasted biscuity. My last one was the ESB, programer's elbow, from brewing classic styles. Only thing I changed differently was using maris otter, so that explains the biscuity flavor there. My latest brew was a competition beer where we all used 2 row, vienna, carafa I and crystal 60. Even with a bunch of hops that beer tastes very biscuity as well. Are my taste buds going off or is something funky going on with my setup? Both were in the same keg, I did change the keg lines between the two beers since I hadn't changed the lines since I bought them.

How's your palate at picking out THP? I'm really sensitive to it and it comes out for me like a breakfast cereal flavor (I always reminds me of Cheerios), and I've heard some people place it like biscuity.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

robotsinmyhead posted:

How's your palate at picking out THP? I'm really sensitive to it and it comes out for me like a breakfast cereal flavor (I always reminds me of Cheerios), and I've heard some people place it like biscuity.

Unlikely in a standard ale tho is it not? Seems to be a Brett thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Biomute posted:

Unlikely in a standard ale tho is it not? Seems to be a Brett thing.

It's Brett primarily but also Lacto and Pedio, but it's probably not THP in a clean beer.

I do get similar flavors in green beers. It seems to be more prevalent when I use pilsner malts, but Victory really brings it out when green anytime I use more than 5% in the grist. It goes away after a week or two. Has it dispersed or did it go away over time?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I don't think it's THP. It seems to be more noticeable as the beer temperature increases, so really near the end of drinking it for the IPA. I'm also missing any of the hop flavor, recipe was about 65 IBUs with an 1 oz Magnum at 60, 0.5 oz Saaz and Cascade at 30 and 0.5 oz Cascade at flameout. The hop flavor was a bit more noticeable last night than other days and really not a terrible beer but something I'm not happy with. My last few brews have been meh to me so need to get something going that's makes me happy.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I get THP in clean beers with high Wheat content, but it's more prevalent with lacto and brett beers.

Just trying to think what would cause biscuit flavors other than malts, especially non-standard base malts.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I did my first dry hop at about day 1.5 of fermentation this morning. And WOW those cryo hops really do pack a punch. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

ChiTownEddie posted:

I did my first dry hop at about day 1.5 of fermentation this morning. And WOW those cryo hops really do pack a punch. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

I'm tempted to try them, but I just had a Cryo Hop beer from a local place that makes really awesome pale beers (Bare Hands) and man something is not right with it. The first can I drank, I kinda noticed a weird flavor and I had trouble finishing the second one.

It's got this weird organic soap chemical taste to it. I only noticed it if I let the beer linger in my mouth rather than straight up drinking it. I have to assume its from the Cryo Hopping.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm tempted to try them, but I just had a Cryo Hop beer from a local place that makes really awesome pale beers (Bare Hands) and man something is not right with it. The first can I drank, I kinda noticed a weird flavor and I had trouble finishing the second one.

It's got this weird organic soap chemical taste to it. I only noticed it if I let the beer linger in my mouth rather than straight up drinking it. I have to assume its from the Cryo Hopping.

I've made two cryo hopped beers and that definitely didn't come through in either of them. I used Citra and Ekuanot for what it's worth.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Huh that is odd. I'll report back on my citra/mosaic to see if I notice something similar.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I get THP in clean beers with high Wheat content, but it's more prevalent with lacto and brett beers.

Just trying to think what would cause biscuit flavors other than malts, especially non-standard base malts.

Biscuit malt. Only being part glib. I don’t know the compound or anything, but Vienna and some pilsners especially from France give me the same experience until the beer is 2-3 weeks after packaging. I’ve always attributed it to the grist I chose. White wheats give it heavily, but red wheat doesn’t seem to do it.

I really don’t expect it’s THP because I’ve never found it to be mousy or Cheerios, just a bit crackery. All of which THP presents as, but it’s not coming from the Sacch.

I did find it interesting that both ATHP and APY variations of it can occur in food presumably due to Maillard reactions. Perhaps I get more of that reaction as I aim for a more vigorous boil out of habit with Pilsner malts. I also start the boil before the sparge is complete to lose less heat. The Maillard reaction versions also age out quickly as they’re volatile, but basically I’m just reading chemistry in an area not completely understood and guessing what’s happening for me based on the observable information for me.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

robotsinmyhead posted:

Last Saturday, I mashed for my Margarita gose. The efficiency sucked, so I ended up using 2/3rds of my DME to get it up to snuff. I boiled it in the kitchen (gently caress) and as soon as I dumped in the DME, the foam went wild. I've never used DME before.

So I'm frantically stirring and loving with the heat, a few minutes pass for my salt and minimal hops addition and BAM - foam gone. Salt is magic!

recipe?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

50% Wheat
50% Pilsner (2-row this round, I'm out of Pilsner)
OG to 1.045ish

Kettle Soured with Goodbelly Mango

15min boil for 0.75oz of salt and ~5-8IBU of hops (I have some aged hops I use for this, mostly just trying to inhibit any extra lacto growth)

Ferment cool with US-05. Zest 6-8 small limes (dunk this in starsan just to be safe) and add them at day 5 (primary fermentation complete), leave it for a week, transfer. Keg/Bottle.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Jhet posted:

Biscuit malt. Only being part glib. I don’t know the compound or anything, but Vienna and some pilsners especially from France give me the same experience until the beer is 2-3 weeks after packaging. I’ve always attributed it to the grist I chose. White wheats give it heavily, but red wheat doesn’t seem to do it.

I really don’t expect it’s THP because I’ve never found it to be mousy or Cheerios, just a bit crackery. All of which THP presents as, but it’s not coming from the Sacch.

I did find it interesting that both ATHP and APY variations of it can occur in food presumably due to Maillard reactions. Perhaps I get more of that reaction as I aim for a more vigorous boil out of habit with Pilsner malts. I also start the boil before the sparge is complete to lose less heat. The Maillard reaction versions also age out quickly as they’re volatile, but basically I’m just reading chemistry in an area not completely understood and guessing what’s happening for me based on the observable information for me.

Interesting, this IPA is about 50% Vienna. When I pulled it for the competition it had more of the biscuit flavor and has since gotten better, approximately a week later, except as I said when it warms a bit. Hopefully, it'll be gone in another few days, it'll teach me to try and brew so close to our competition. Our next competition is brewer's choice so I'm going to go with my Kolsch I made a few months ago that came out great.

Speaking of reading, anyone have good scientific reading material? Most of PhD and current work is in microbial ecology and water chemistry so anything technical doesn't scare me. I do need to pick up all the brewing series, Water, Yeast, Hops and Malts one of these days.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I milled the grain for a 5 gallon batch ~2 months ago, then life got in the way. Has been stored in a cool, dry place, containers not really airtight though. Throw out or brew? I'm mostly thinking about the $25 worth of hops for it that would go to waste if it was a dud.

Skellyscribe
Jan 14, 2008
See how yond justice rails upon yond simple thief. Hark in thine ear: change places and, handy-dandy, which is the justice, which is the thief?

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I milled the grain for a 5 gallon batch ~2 months ago, then life got in the way. Has been stored in a cool, dry place, containers not really airtight though. Throw out or brew? I'm mostly thinking about the $25 worth of hops for it that would go to waste if it was a dud.

If the grain doesn't taste stale I think you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Anyone have any idea what the hop tolerance for this yeast blend should be? Can't find any information. I'm assuming less than 10 IBU due to the lack of pediococcus in the blend.

ECY23 Oud Brune : For primary fermentations. A unique blend of fruity Belgian Saccharomyces yeast and Lactobacilli species (L. delbrueckii and L. brevis). For those who prefer sourness without the presence of Brett. Additional info: Suggested fermentation temperature: 68-74º