Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m listening to the new Xibalba. Like every time I listen to Xibalba I spend the album wanting to bareknuckle fight gorillas and then I forget the album exists. That’s acceptable in the metal genre imo can’t hate on them for it.

Spanish is a really great language for delivering that feeling.

New At the Gates coming May 18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Henchman of Santa posted:

Spanish is a really great language for delivering that feeling.

New At the Gates coming May 18

This is 100% the nervous gringo in me speaking but Spanish sounds angry as gently caress in metal. I love it. I need to find more Spanish language bands.

Is At The Gates still good?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is 100% the nervous gringo in me speaking but Spanish sounds angry as gently caress in metal. I love it. I need to find more Spanish language bands.

I enjoyed At War With Reality.

If you're looking for pissed off Spanish check out Chicago locals La Armada. They're kind of thrashy hardcore played by Dominican immigrants and they have a new one coming out.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

I enjoyed At War With Reality.

If you're looking for pissed off Spanish check out Chicago locals La Armada. They're kind of thrashy hardcore played by Dominican immigrants and they have a new one coming out.

La Armada rule, especially live.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They're touring with Propagandhi right now, whose new album is pretty good if you like crossover thrash

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They're touring with Propagandhi right now, whose new album is pretty good if you like crossover thrash

Yeah I'm stoked for them, and metalhead punk fans would be smart to check out each of the last three Propagandhi records.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Red in the Sky is Ours is great and an 'important record' and With Fear has its moments, everything after that sucks to varying degrees.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Gnumonic posted:

This is maybe more of a guitar thread thing but: Why the hell does Karl Sanders scallop all of his guitars? I mean, I get it with Yngwie, gotta end those neoclassical arpeggio runs with a two step bend, but it just seems straightforwardly counterproductive for the kind of music Nile plays.

MikeCrotch posted:

Yngwie always said that it was more of a personal preference, he said it didn't make much of a difference to the music just that it was what he was personally used to

Scalloped fretboards feel way different since your fingers don't touch the board at all, but they don't sound different. They make big bends more comfortable for a skilled guitarist, but they also take away a crutch of being able to lean on the fretboard. They're probably a detriment to any guitarist who doesn't have 10,000 hours of practice, but for some guys with great technique and a light/perfect touch, it's more comfortable.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Mr. Pickles posted:

gently caress it,

Bolt thrower.

That's how champions start their day. Just gently caress it. Bolt Thrower.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vargatron posted:

I present to you the worst loving Machine Head track ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Ig3RGdVMY

Leave pop to the people who can do it, I think.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zodijackylite posted:

Scalloped fretboards feel way different since your fingers don't touch the board at all, but they don't sound different. They make big bends more comfortable for a skilled guitarist, but they also take away a crutch of being able to lean on the fretboard. They're probably a detriment to any guitarist who doesn't have 10,000 hours of practice, but for some guys with great technique and a light/perfect touch, it's more comfortable.
They always struck me as a boutique thing for this reason. Are there any cheap guitars with scalloped fretboards on the market, or are they largely a custom shop thing?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vulture Culture posted:

They always struck me as a boutique thing for this reason. Are there any cheap guitars with scalloped fretboards on the market, or are they largely a custom shop thing?

some crappy ibanez probably has it

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Any new death metal recently? I was listening to Analepsy's last album a lot around this time last year.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Today I was walking to work, and I knew today was gonna be a lovely day, so I was bummed. Then Bolt Thrower - Not Guts No Glory came through my headphones and then Autopsy - Charred Remains, and I was so pumped. Then it was over and I was at work, and it sucked.

That's my Bolt Thrower story today.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Minto Took posted:

Any new death metal recently? I was listening to Analepsy's last album a lot around this time last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwaCp9FWW-c have fun

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Vulture Culture posted:

They're mostly custom order, since professional workmanship to scallop a fretboard isn't worth it on a sub-$1000 guitar. Karl Sanders does have a signature guitar with scalloped frets which is $699 new - there's not a lot of them, but I think they sell for about half of that used. Malmsteen and Blackmore both have signature Fenders with scalloped frets, but those are around $1k used.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Yngwie always said that it was more of a personal preference, he said it didn't make much of a difference to the music just that it was what he was personally used to

Yngwie also only bought Marshall stacks with no volume controls because they were cheaper and would play in front of them with no earplugs so maybe take his gear advice with a pinch of salt

The guitar pricing thing reminded me, I'm pretty I remember an interview where Yngwie said the only reason he started using scalloped fretboards is because that's what what Blackmore used.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
New Atlas Moth, I'm on board with what's going on here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sPCl71qes

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOHY09QTVe4

'Shackled' is such a killer track holy shiit.

Huh, they played Bloodstock a few years back but I couldn't be arsed to go see them cos they were on at like 11:00 and I wasn't that impressed by the brief snippets I checked out before the festival. I like this though!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hi thread. What is djent and what's the good stuff you recommend?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

It's what youtube musicians do when they make a metal covers of pop/videogame songs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

what's the good stuff you recommend?
Bolt Thrower

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Schneider Heim posted:

Meshuggah and Periphery will give you 99% of what you need.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just listen do the DO4M soundtrack, it's actually good.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I like vildhjarta if anyone was curious

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Vargatron posted:

Just listen do the DO4M soundtrack, it's actually good.

This. It's genuinely really awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRuTYtSbJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeYGdZSt5l0

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

It’s bad metalcore and prog played with a terrible guitar tone in odd time signatures. Just listen to Meshuggah.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Schneider Heim posted:

Hello friend, djent is no thing afaik. But Meshuggah is very much a thing. Meshuggah is GOD

It’s bad metalcore and prog played with a terrible guitar tone in odd time signatures. Just listen to Meshuggah.

e: jesus christ I've been sniped off grid. Follow the man's advice and you will be greatly rewarded, but also you'll never be the same again. Meshuggah changed me

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 19, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

there was a really cool presentation that goes on about the creative process used in getting the sound they wanted for the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FNBMZsqrY

it's an hour long video but it's pretty interesting

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

What's the best Bolt Thrower album?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Malaria posted:

the one with the cover that looks like warhammer 40k

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Malaria posted:

All

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Malaria posted:

Those Once Loyal seems to be what a lot of people consider their best, and is why the band stopped making music. They felt they couldn't top it.

But they all loving own, and I suggest starting with their first and working your way through the decades.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Malaria posted:

Those Once Loyal

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I listened to Pig Destroyer's "Natasha" on the metro today, and it put me in a really uncomfortable frame of mind.

...probably gonna do it on the way home too, to be honest.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I thought about jokingly ranking Bolt Thrower albums, but nah. They're all excellent.

Also I originally came to post this gif, which I had somehow never seen before today:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

COOL CORN posted:

I listened to Pig Destroyer's "Natasha" on the metro today, and it put me in a really uncomfortable frame of mind.

...probably gonna do it on the way home too, to be honest.
I had the same feelings from the video for The Diplomat for a long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6dycCqqZS0

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Find the Runic album Liar Flags. You'll thank me.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Minto Took posted:

There is the latest Archspire from last fall, and it's pretty goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNYBsWi59-0