Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dusty Lens posted:

I will concede that Derek did in fact call that the law firm hired to sue CIG has responded to CIG's response. Furthermore I will concede, as witnessed by all here, that Skadden's response to the response is directed in such a way as to present their best legal position in such a way that is advantageous to their own efforts to win the case.

I expected none of this to happen and I expressed doubt of it ever happening. I have been proven a fool.

e; my sources have confirmed that as of 10:18 PM PDT Ortwin was debarred and is currently in the custody of the Los Angeles department of Cyber Police.

He done goofed

e: veteran backer catte tastes just enough to keep the dream alive

https://i.imgur.com/0p3PUar.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

25 848 F. Supp. 682 (E.D. La. 1994) .................................................................... 22
Hernandez v. Monsanto Co.,

Confirmation that Star Citizen backers are legally defined as an agricultural product. This is a big deal as it strips the cultural tradition loopholes that were previously being used by CIG's efforts to classify their efforts as whaling.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Crytek's approval and, upon information and belief, have provided Faceware access
Case 2:17-cv-08937-DMG-FFM Document 25 Filed 01/19/18 Page 11 of 30 Page ID #:255

1 to Crytek's technology including source code. (FAC ¶ 51.) This breach of the GLA 2 also entails an infringing distribution of Crytek's copyrighted source code.

MFW

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

I gotta clear it with legal, who was currently chewing on a bone if I could post the PDF or not
(it's fine by the way, I checked)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Looking through the overview now and it basically boils down to what goons wrote in the first five comments after CIG's response. Glad everyone's been arguing about this poo poo for a week lol

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Holy poo poo. SO MUCH CASE LAW IN THIS RESPONSE LOL!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Looking through the overview now and it basically boils down to what goons wrote in the first five comments after CIG's response. Glad everyone's been arguing about this poo poo for a week lol

It's not like there's a game to talk about.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
has anyone said "Ortwinning" yet?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Confirmed: Skadden reads the thread.

Called it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

It's not like there's a game to talk about.

Mostly I was thinking of reddit when wrote that post. My eyeballs pulled up their roots and ran away by page 2 of the Great "Exclusively" War of 2018, so I sure hope nobody broke any rules.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

quote:

1 2015. . . . What runs Star Citizen and Squadron is our heavily modified version of 2 the engine which we have dubbed StarEngine.") (emphasis added); (see also First 3 Amended Complaint ("FAC") ¶ 33 (ECF No. 18) (quoting Roberts's statement that 4 "[W]e don't call [the video game engine] CryEngine anymore, we call it Star 5 Engine.").) Yet Defendants repeatedly refused to substantively provide 6 optimizations or bug fixes to Crytek.

This poo poo right here is my favorite part. I hope for more of this.

Your honor I would like to direct the attention of the Jury to 10ftc E. 87

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Has anyone said 10 to 20 for the chairman yet

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Mostly I was thinking of reddit when wrote that post. My eyeballs pulled up their roots and ran away by page 2 of the Great "Exclusively" War of 2018, so I sure hope nobody broke any rules.

Marching Powder came back and posted a shitload of anime.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
I guess they didn't include the full Ortwin waiver because wrestling with pigs is only fun for the pigs. But I like how they addressed it.

quote:

First, the letter by which Freyermuth's firm sought Crytek's consent to his
adverse representation (the "Letter," which Crytek is prepared to submit if the Court would find it useful) states that Freyermuth's firm received a request to represent "Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium and its various related entities ('Cloud')" in negotiating the GLA. The Letter does not explain that Freyermuth had a personal interest in Defendants, even though Freyermuth co-founded Defendants and thus had a personal financial interest in the negotiation of the GLA. (FAC ¶ 13.)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

RSI: You can't sue us because it was CIG who signed your stupid deal! :smug:

Skadden:

3. If RSI Is Not A Party To The GLA, Then Crytek's Claims For Copyright Infringement Are Even Stronger:

Defendants' suggestion that RSI is not bound by the GLA igores the implications that holding would have for Crytek's claims of copyright infringement. If the Court determines that RSI is not bound by the GLA, then RSI was not authorized to obtain Crytek's code: RSI is not included on Exhibit 3 to the GLA, which lists the "[a]uthorized third party developer(s)" who are entitled to receive access to Crytek's technology pursuant to Section 2.6 of the GLA. (GLA Ex. 3 at 19). If RSI is not a party to the GLA, then CIG had no license to distribute Crytek's technology to RSI. And a fortiori, RSI had no license to (for example) publish Crytek's source code through the "Bugsmashers" videos hosted on RSI's web site.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

get hosed grammar idiots

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Someone post to /r/games please :getin:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Marching Powder came back and posted a shitload of anime.

Exclusively.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beef Hardcheese posted:

get hosed grammar idiots

Apparently they didn't watch ANY of the youtube videos.

Penguin Bacon
Apr 19, 2010
Isn't it nice to have real lawyers who can write well and not be superlative in unnecessary areas.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

quote:

Defendants assert that the latter of those allegations was "demonstrably false given that Mr. Freyermuth had obtained a written conflict waiver from Crytek prior to negotiating the GLA on behalf of CIG." (Defts.' Br. at 20.) Having removed that allegation in an (apparently futile) effort to avoid this motion practice, Crytek will refrain from addressing it at length, and will instead briefly note as follows:

First, the letter by which Freyermuth's firm sought Crytek's consent to his
adverse representation (the "Letter," which Crytek is prepared to submit if the Court
would find it useful) states that Freyermuth's firm received a request to represent
"Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium and its various related entities ('Cloud')" in
negotiating the GLA. The Letter does not explain that Freyermuth had a personal
interest in Defendants, even though Freyermuth co-founded Defendants and thus had
a personal financial interest in the negotiation of the GLA. (FAC ¶ 13.)

Second, the Letter asserts that Freyermuth's "law firm does not believe that
there exists any actual or potential conflict of interest in representing Cloud with
respect to the Transaction and Crytek with respect to other transactions as set forth in
the introductory paragraph of this letter." It is unclear how this facially reassuring
claim that no "actual or potential conflict" exists could be true in light of
Freyermuth's personal interest in Defendants, which the Letter does not address.

I guess just declaring "there's no conflict of interest" isn't enough.

The Saddest Robot fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 19, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Settling exclusivity forever:

Defendants correctly recognize that "[t]he whole of a contract is to be taken together, so as to give effect to every part if reasonably practicable, each clause helping to interpret the other." ... Yet their argument wholly disregards that principle, relying on two related and false assertions: (1) that Crytek's claim "is based entirely on isolating the word 'exclusively' contained in Section 2.1.2"; and (2) that no other provision of the GLA precluded Defendants from abandoning CryEngine for a competitor's product.

Section 2.1.2 grants Defendants a license "to exclusively embed CryEngine in the Game." That grant is "[s]ubject to strict and continuous compliance with the restrictions in the Agreement." (GLA 2.1) If there is any doubt that Section 2.1.2 prohibits Defendants from developing the Game with engines other than CryEngine, another section of the GLA also makes Defendants' obligation clear. Section 2.4 provides: During the Term of the License, or any renewals thereof, and for a period of two years thereafter, Licensee, its principals, and Affiliates shall not directly or indirectly engage in the business of designing, developing, creating, supporting, maintaining, promoting, selling or licensing (directly or indirectly) any game engine or middleware which compete with CryEngine.

(Emphasis added.) This section further confirms there is only one reasonable construction of the GLA: that CryTek received exclusivity for Star Citizen (among other things) in return for the license, technical support, and financial discounts that it provided to Defendants. Thus, even if the Court were to construe Section 2.1.2 to permit Defendants to abandon CryEngine in favor of another engine - and CryTek respectfully submits that such a construction is inconsistent with the GLA - that same abandonment and concomitant development, suport, maintenance, promotion, selling, and licensing of that other engine would constitute breaches of Section 2.4

etc etc.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Pretty scary when you have 3 imba attourneys, with god-knows-how-many-250$/hr-people working for them in the shadows, trying to take away your toys.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beef Hardcheese posted:

get hosed grammar idiots

Looks I totally called the use of the words "absurd" and "nonsense" huh? :grin:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=3519#post480416413

----------------

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
omg their response to the tort vs contract law

holy poo poo lol

just so much lol

quote:

Defendants cite a number of cases distinguishing generally between tort and contract law, but none of those cases involve contracts, like the GLA, that differentiate between remedies available for intentional or grossly negligent breaches of contract, on one hand, and negligent breaches, on the other. For example, in Erlich v. Menezes, the plaintiffs had contracted with the defendant, a licensed general contractor, to build a "dreamhouse." 21 Cal. 4th 543, 548, 981 P.2d 978, 980-81 (1999). The contractor did a very bad job on the house: for example, "[t]hree decks were in danger of 'catastrophic collapse.'" Id. at 549, 981 P.2d at 981. The plaintiffs testified that they suffered emotional distress as a result of the defective condition of the house and the defendant's botched efforts at repair, and the jury awarded them damages for those tortious injuries over and above the sum awarded for breach of contract. Id. The court noted that tort remedies are available for negligent breaches of contract "only when the conduct in question is so clear in its deviation from socially useful business practices that the effect of enforcing such tort duties will be . . . to aid rather than discourage commerce." Id. at 554, 981 P.2d at 985 (citation omitted). Erlich is not applicable here because Crytek does not seek tort remedies for Defendants' breaches of contract.

Nor are any of the other cases that Defendants cite applicable — all of them involve plaintiffs who sought tort remedies for contractual breaches, and none of them involve contracts where the parties agreed to permit liability only for intentional or grossly negligent breaches of contract. In Applied Equipment Corp. v. Litton Saudi Arabia Ltd., 7 Cal. 4th 503, 869 P.2d 454 (1994), the court held that a party could not be held liable in tort for conspiring to interfere with its own contract. Id. at 510, 869 P.2d at 456-57. Likewise, in Foley v. Interactive Data Corp., 47 Cal. 3d 654, 699, 765 P.2d 373, 400-401 (1988), the court held that a plaintiff could not obtain tort remedies for the breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing in an employment contract. Finally, in Freeman & Mills, Inc. v. Belcher Oil Co., 11 Cal. 4th 85, 102-03, 900 P.2d 669 (1995) the court held that a plaintiff could not obtain tort remedies for a defendant's bad-faith denial that a contract existed. Here, Crytek does not seek tort remedies for Defendants' breaches of contract. Rather, Crytek seeks to recover damages for Defendants' intentional breaches of contract, just as Section 6.1.4 contemplates. The First Amended Complaint alleges numerous instances of intentional breaches that give rise to Defendants' liability:

• On February 14, 2016, Defendants moved forward with their plan for Squadron 42, notwithstanding their failure to obtain a license, and began offering the video game for separate purchase. Defendants are thus intentionally and willfully using CryEngine without a license and in violation of copyright laws. (FAC ¶ 25.)

• Defendants intentionally breached the GLA by using CryEngine to market, develop, and incentivize funding for more than one game, thereby enriching themselves by millions of dollars without payment for such use. (Id. ¶ 56.)

• Defendants intentionally breached the GLA by refusing to provide agreed-upon bug fixes and optimizations to CryEngine. (Id. ¶ 57.)

• Defendants rely on Justice Holmes's remark, quoted in a concurring and dissenting opinion in Freeman, that entering into a contract "means a prediction that you must pay damages if you do not keep it." 11 Cal. 4th at 106. Here, Defendants make the remarkable argument that notwithstanding having intentionally breached the GLA they could never be required to pay any damages at all. (Defts.' Br. at 13.)

• Defendants intentionally breached the GLA by, among other things, removing Crytek's trademarks and copyright notices from the Star Citizen video game and related marketing materials. (Id. ¶ 58.)

• Defendants intentionally breached the GLA by breaking their promise to exclusively use CryEngine in the Star Citizen video game. (Id. ¶ 59.)

Section 6.1.4 does not preclude Crytek from recovering damages for Defendants' intentional breaches — indeed, it plainly permits those claims for damages.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 19, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Yeah this looks like a bullshit response. Crytek gave some plausible complaints in the lawsuit, at first, without us knowing what was in the GLA. CIG responds to every point with good arguments and the actual text in the GLA pointing out what its a frivolous lawsuit

The counter response is reasserting the original claims that were completely shot down, without actually putting forth anything new or offering a rebuttal

Combined with how they initially tried to conceal the GLA to make it appear they had a viable argument, it seems pretty obvious this is just a cash grab. Their plan is likely to attempt to use the corrupt video game press and publicity to drag this lawsuit out and attempt to get them to settle

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
gently caress, derek was right about something.

Quick, how can moma spin this into a win for him?

Gotta come up with something for him to use before he hurts himself trying.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Rubageddon! Thank you.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Leonard French has already not read it and ready to stream about it on Youtube

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Beef Hardcheese posted:

get hosed grammar idiots

I reiterate my statement anyone here who argued about this is a retard

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The whole Freyermuth conflict of interest is going to get tossed out in the first pass.
A bloo bloo bloo we signed a contract with someone who wrote our previous contracts for us.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

poo poo gets really snarky too:

To avoid burdening itself and the Court with the wasteful motion practice threatened by Defendants, Crytek did delete certain allegations from its pleading. Specifically in the First Amended Complaint, Crytek retained its allegation that Freyermuth hd confidential information about Crytek's licensing practices due to his prior representation of Crytek in negotiations of similar license agreements with third parties, but removed its allegations that Freyermuth's possession of that information would unfairly advantage Defendants and that Freyermuth never resolved that conflict of interest.

Defendants assert that the latter of those allegations was "demonstrably false given that My. Freyermuth had obtained a written conflict waiver from Crytek prior to negotiating the GLA on behalf of CIG." Having removed that allegation in an (apparently futile) effort to avoid this motion practice, Crytek will refrain from addressing it at length...

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Yeah this looks like a bullshit response. Crytek gave some plausible complaints in the lawsuit, at first, without us knowing what was in the GLA. CIG responds to every point with good arguments and the actual text in the GLA pointing out what its a frivolous lawsuit

The counter response is reasserting the original claims that were completely shot down, without actually putting forth anything new or offering a rebuttal

Combined with how they initially tried to conceal the GLA to make it appear they had a viable argument, it seems pretty obvious this is just a cash grab. Their plan is likely to attempt to use the corrupt video game press and publicity to drag this lawsuit out and attempt to get them to settle

:same:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

:same:

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ayn Marx posted:

I reiterate my statement anyone here who argued about this is a retard

Yeah but you must admit, it was loving hilarious watching the mental gymnastics though.

----------------

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

So what is next in the LULZ PIPELINE(tm, covered by UltraGLA3.4)

-sc reddit thread --> silly people make a video
-games reddit thread
-goons trolling, inverse-trolling and melting down (hi Moma)
-court action?

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 19, 2018

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah but you must admit, it was loving hilarious watching the mental gymnastics though.

Those guys would have been gold medalists in the mental gymnastics if doping wasn't outlawed.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
dear god, how can people back this game be so loving stupid

like y'all are loving stupid as hell

goddamn

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

the worst kind of rubbing