Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

happyhippy posted:

Isn't this just replacing ints with floats and patching whatever breaks?

Or maybe replacing floats with doubles then not fixing anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

happyhippy posted:

They haven't gotten to part 2 yet

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

D_Smart posted:

They're not using CryEngine. So. :colbert:

Is that why the demo didn't crash last year? It wasn't even using Star Citizen code? Ha!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Chalks posted:

CIG signed the GLA in order to get a more favourable licensing deal than they would have got otherwise, yeah? I know very little about this sort of thing, but it seems fair to me that the damages for violating the GLA should be relative to the amount that they avoided paying in royalties by signing it.

You can't turn the clock back, you can't "re-exclusive" the game to cryengine and so fourth. If the only reason Crytek were willing to waive their usual royalty payments was for exclusivity, wouldn't re-imposing the usual royalty payments be a reasonable remedy for violation of the contract?
You need something like fraud to get into the really good remedies like disgorgement (CIG having to give back all their ill-gotten profits). It's possible Skadden will bring out the nuclear option at some point, but they haven't yet. But the game has barely started.

For breach of contract you end up getting put into the position of where you would have been had the contract been fully performed. You don't get to use hindsight to claim a hypothetical deal that wasn't struck. Since Crytek willingly gave up the uncertainty of royalties in exchange for the certainty of a one-time payment, I don't see how to get them now.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AngusPodgorny posted:

You need something like fraud to get into the really good remedies like disgorgement (CIG having to give back all their ill-gotten profits). It's possible Skadden will bring out the nuclear option at some point, but they haven't yet. But the game has barely started.

For breach of contract you end up getting put into the position of where you would have been had the contract been fully performed. You don't get to use hindsight to claim a hypothetical deal that wasn't struck. Since Crytek willingly gave up the uncertainty of royalties in exchange for the certainty of a one-time payment, I don't see how to get them now.

But how could they put back the exclusivity clause, or the other violations such as the disclosure of source code? Would they argue for a particular monetary value attached to these clauses and claim it as damages?

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Exactly. They have an expert calculate a dollar value for what it would have been worth.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

G0RF posted:

Note to the Skadden paralegal reading this thread...

Its a good thing I saved all those 10 for the chairmans to my hard drive!

Pick me! Pick me!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

happyhippy posted:

Changing from 32 bit to 64 bit wouldn't be that simple. Just like the CryEngine to Lumberyard switch wouldn't take 2 days.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
they are raising the price of sq42 next month

again

and it's going to be listed as an "add-on" to star citizen

omfg lol

quote:

Visit the Squadron 42 webpage and enlist to receive our dedicated newsletter. Remember the Super-Size me add-on price will go up in February, so spread the word.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Standaddon

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheAgent posted:

quote:

Super-Size me

I didn't realise it literally was a hamburger analogy

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

again

omfg lol

How can you buy an "add-on" separately?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

hot balls man no homo posted:

How can you buy an "add-on" separately?
here comes the F2P star citizen thing that people have been talking about since like early 2016

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Terebus posted:

That Leonard lawyer guy is being pretty intentionally obtuse.

i'm shocked at a youtube lawyer with a patreon telling commandos what they want to hear.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

stinch posted:

i'm shocked at a youtube lawyer with a patreon telling commandos what they want to hear.

Non practicing lawyer needs funding.
His vast knowledge and experience is what the shitizens need.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

again

omfg lol

An "add-on" and not a seperate game

CIG closing the doors to the stable after it's burned to the ground

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
In "games that are better than star citizen in every way" news, Angels Fall First cracked 600 concurrent players just now! It's also the #5 top seller right now. God I hope the playerbase sticks around this time, they've been patching it consistently and improving UI elements and gameplay out of sight. Gonna jump onto the US East servers a bit later.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

He presses the "Hold" button so he can finish another conversation.

Almost. He screams "let me loving finish the other call first" and then puts the call on hold

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Raskolnikov posted:

Sandi turns 40.

Well, she has had 13 years experience of doing that

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

nightwisher posted:

In "games that are better than star citizen in every way" news, Angels Fall First cracked 600 concurrent players just now! It's also the #5 top seller right now. God I hope the playerbase sticks around this time, they've been patching it consistently and improving UI elements and gameplay out of sight. Gonna jump onto the US East servers a bit later.

Have you ever played Planetside 2 and, if so, is this game an appropriate analog to that and in what ways would you say one compares favorably to the other?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

here comes the F2P star citizen thing that people have been talking about since like early 2016

So you're not buying SQ42, you're buying a free to play version of SC that is loaded with adverts in the loading screens that comes with the add-on Squadron 42? So, not a separate game?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Batgirl has a new video about the “frustratingly fun” experience she’s having with 3.0.

She apparently had to cut 2.5 hours out of it, the frustrating part, to yield 30 minutes of fun. And by “fun”, she means performing box deliveries between moons while avoiding all combat because combat really isn’t fun right now.

It’s not worth a full write up, but I get the feeling she might’ve heard a thing or two about the recent thread discussions, because she comes out swinging at the end, even while stating her plans to round up the Enablers for some joint adventures in frustrating fun.

Onward and upwards, Batgirl. You do you!

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Dusty Lens posted:

Have you ever played Planetside 2 and, if so, is this game an appropriate analog to that and in what ways would you say one compares favorably to the other?

PS2 is the more polished and "massive" of the two, however AFF does combined arms much better IMO, the weapon loadout system and all choices are available from the get-go and there's quite a wide selection of very mechanically different abilities and weapons for each infantry and vehicle type. It plays very much like a battlefield game, with points to capture, heal/revive/buff/support elements etc. The space maps are the real draw though, everyone spawns on the capital ships and you make your way to the hangar and outfit a ship, take off and join the fray outside. Piloting a cap-ship is awesome, you become a magnet for every other ship and have to carefully manage your positioning and weapon/shield/ability cooldowns well. Ship combat is quite fun, with flight-assist and zero-g no-assist flight modes toggleable, a bunch of different weapons and abilities to pick between, boarding and disabling enemy ships and stations and the whole "watch the battle happening outside through the hull windows while attacking/defending ship systems" never gets old.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I struggle to imagine what's compelling someone to maintain their enthusiasm for this shitshow. Is it really just sunk cost fallacy? Is it fear of change? Are they being paid?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Leonard French saying this thing is probably going to trial is pretty much the best thing that's happened so far. Citizens are completely unsure which direction to run.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Nice title :wink: :lol:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I struggle to imagine what's compelling someone to maintain their enthusiasm for this shitshow. Is it really just sunk cost fallacy? Is it fear of change? Are they being paid?

If you admit you're wrong, you admit that Derek Smart is right. And that smells of Smartness (which is a horrible attempt to try to turn someones Last name into an insult). Since Derek Smart HAS to be wrong. You need to be right about Star Citizen being good.
It's as easy as that.

Derek Smart: He can not be allowed to be right!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beet Wagon posted:

Leonard French saying this thing is probably going to trial is pretty much the best thing that's happened so far. Citizens are completely unsure which direction to run.

The direction doesn't matter. They're going to clip to the floor in any direction.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

She's got your answer right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=1075s

1) It's Alpha, and helping the devs bug test is its own reward.

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=220s

2) She's having boatloads of fun with the CUTLASS!

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=1277s

3) She's in love with her ships and the beauty of this game.

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=276s

4) The love (yawn) of the grind, because sometimes you have to get things done... :lol:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ms Judge, this lawsuit should be thrown away! But just in case you decide to grant discovery could you limit it to just the games code, they clearly have no right to see our financials and or deals with banks and or governments!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Skadden, find the worm.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

G0RF posted:

She's got your answer right here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=1075s

1) It's Alpha, and helping the devs bug test is its own reward.

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=220s

2) She's having boatloads of fun with the CUTLASS!

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=1277s

3) She's in love with her ships and the beauty of this game.

and here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9zRjVLeWzw&t=276s

4) The love (yawn) of the grind, because sometimes you have to get things done... :lol:

why are you doing this to yourself

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The excitement of participating in this wild journey. We've gone from the question of Sq42 and Star Citizen being made settled with 20 million to the question of Sq42 and Star Citizen being made settled for 20 million.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

(re)posting this because you can never have too much #Ortwinning

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hobold posted:

gently caress, derek was right about something.

Quick, how can moma spin this into a win for him?

Gotta come up with something for him to use before he hurts himself trying.

Derek has been playing with a stacked deck since July 2015, as time goes on this will become more and more obvious.

Also for all the boring people who just take potshots at him, just wait until what comes next.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They can still dream, never forget that a video game is not what the people still left want.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:rip: issue council or whatever their loving bug report thing is called. Must have gotten tired of AP sharing the really embarrassing ones. Can't say I blame 'em, I wouldn't want to have to read through 10,000 "Your piece of poo poo game won't even launch" reports every day either.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

nightwisher posted:

PS2 is the more polished and "massive" of the two, however AFF does combined arms much better IMO, the weapon loadout system and all choices are available from the get-go and there's quite a wide selection of very mechanically different abilities and weapons for each infantry and vehicle type. It plays very much like a battlefield game, with points to capture, heal/revive/buff/support elements etc. The space maps are the real draw though, everyone spawns on the capital ships and you make your way to the hangar and outfit a ship, take off and join the fray outside. Piloting a cap-ship is awesome, you become a magnet for every other ship and have to carefully manage your positioning and weapon/shield/ability cooldowns well. Ship combat is quite fun, with flight-assist and zero-g no-assist flight modes toggleable, a bunch of different weapons and abilities to pick between, boarding and disabling enemy ships and stations and the whole "watch the battle happening outside through the hull windows while attacking/defending ship systems" never gets old.
I'd be willing check this out if there were a dozen or so goons to play it with. Games like this are only fun to me if I have friends playing along.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

and I know, you're saying, BUT THEAGENT, TURBULENT IS JUST THE WEBPAGE, they don't do demos or videos or anything to do with star citizen oh wait holy poo poo

I'm hearing that they did the entire sq42 vertical slice

lol holy poo poo

lol no fuckin way. When this is finally confirmed in 2019 I am absolutely dead.