Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

There’s loving plenty to get mad at.

These days I find it much better for my blood pressure to just ignore pop culture things rather than get mad and make hour long videos about them. With the world being a flaming dumpster fire, I find it hard to get angry about pop culture, especially something as obviously meaningless as them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

And Frank and Trace showed up on this RiffTrax with Mike, Kevin, and Bill. And Mary Jo and Bridgit.

https://www.rifftrax.com/batman-v-superman

I still haven't finished that. Like, Mary-Jo and Bridget tag in (the riffers do it relay style, so Mike & the boys start, then their writers, etc) at the beginning of the Batman/Superman fight. THERE'S STILL LIKE AN HOUR OF MOVIE. HOW?!?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's a shame that the original series couldn't do more with Bridget and Mary Jo riffing because they are amazing together. They do shorts and movies for Rifftrax and they're consistently great.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
I was very impressed with their Angels' Revenge riff. I like it more than the MST version.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I was very impressed with their Angels' Revenge riff. I like it more than the MST version.

MJ's whole run about loving the lounge singer during the first musical sequence is hysterical.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For my money the Syfy Era host segments are hands down the best they ever did, and that's doubly true of any that involved Mary Jo, Corbett and Murphy. I would without hesitation watch an entire series about the adventures of Mrs. F, Brain Guy and Monkey.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

MJ's whole run about loving the lounge singer during the first musical sequence is hysterical.

Bridget, this is MY obsession :mad:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Bridget, this is MY obsession :mad:

She might also be a better singer than the actual actress.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alehkhs posted:

I think my favorite was The Land that Time Forgot. It just felt the most "classic MST3K" to me, and the cast really had their pacing and deliveries down. I might be alone on that however, as it seems pretty overlooked by most. :shrug:

The Land that Time Forgot is the only one I wasn't able to get through, though honestly it wasn't the fault of the film, (or the riff). It's just that I didn't catch on that it was supposed to be set in WWI and not WWII.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

For my money the Syfy Era host segments are hands down the best they ever did, and that's doubly true of any that involved Mary Jo, Corbett and Murphy. I would without hesitation watch an entire series about the adventures of Mrs. F, Brain Guy and Monkey.

To me, they were the weakest the host segments got. I love the riffing, and some of the sketches were gold, but overall they didn’t do so much for me. I always preferred the Joel era with Frank and Dr. F, with Joel as the Dad explaining the world to the boys.

That said, the Syfy era was when I think they did the best riffing, so most of my favorite episodes are from those seasons.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

TL posted:

To me, they were the weakest the host segments got. I love the riffing, and some of the sketches were gold, but overall they didn’t do so much for me. I always preferred the Joel era with Frank and Dr. F, with Joel as the Dad explaining the world to the boys.

That said, the Syfy era was when I think they did the best riffing, so most of my favorite episodes are from those seasons.

I love the Sci-fi era the most, hands down. But I agree with you, the host parts were pretty weak. Ugh, everything in the Ancient Rome times just hurts and its pretty bad elsewhere with those plots. Once they got settled, it was better but still I felt like it was the weakest of the series. I think I've read that it was the Sci-fi channel dictating that kind of stuff but I do not care for them.

The simplicity of the invention exchange and mad doctor stuff really helped the earlier years.

That all said, the first host segment in Time Chasers were Mike goes to visit Pearl in a neighborly way and Crow gets to float by is still one of my favorite things in one of my favorite episodes.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

considering they are reviving a show with a fervent fan base that also happens to be heavily divided in their opinion of the 'golden age' of the show, they did a great job.

I was set to be disappointed, and was thoroughly impressed. I think several of the newest ones will make their way into the top tier of the entire franchise.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My favorite season for host segments is hands down Season 6. Texas Mike's Ricochet BBQ Sauce, A Joke By Igmar Bergman, the Deep 13 B&B and the Llama Farm, and the audiophile sketch from The Creeping Terror, all crack my up no matter how many times I watch them. I think it's a combination of Frank Conniff's writing and Mike Nelson's acting, as well as the fact that Season 6 was when Mike was really developing his own schtick after having to take over midway through 5.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A Joke By Igmar Bergman is the pinnacle of Host Segments.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SirPhoebos posted:

It's just that I didn't catch on that it was supposed to be set in WWI and not WWII.

Suddenly some things about that movie make way more sense, because I didn't catch that either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked the Roman stuff :shobon:

"Welcome... to Roman Times!" will never not make me laugh. i'm laughing right now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think my favorite joke from the Syfy era was definitely in the first episode. "Well, your movie today is..."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Tonight was my second time to see The Mads are Back, the movie this time was The Tingler. A "better" "film" than last year's Walk the Dark Street but thankfully just as good for riffing.
Trace did say they plan on releasing the riffs digitally since the movies they pick are public domain, they just don't have immediate plans while they're still able to do regular live shows.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Proteus Jones posted:

A Joke By Igmar Bergman is the pinnacle of Host Segments.

This is not an empty quote :emptyquote:

Also, the New Age Music bit from Joel is still a favorite but mostly cause I like that nonsense.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
My favorite host segment is from Eegah, when Joel and the bots discuss the nature of hell. As I saw in a description of that sketch on the info club site, it’s one of those bits that presupposes a certain level of intelligence and sophistication from the audience.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nothing will ever really top "Trumpy you can do magic things!" for host segments. Tom screaming for dear life makes it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Funky Valentine posted:

Nothing will ever really top "Trumpy you can do magic things!" for host segments. Tom screaming for dear life makes it.

that whole eps shorts are perfect. Lets just do the same drat thing we just saw them do in the studio. Its perfect

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Junkie Disease posted:

that whole eps shorts are perfect. Lets just do the same drat thing we just saw them do in the studio. Its perfect

Imitating the movie? This is my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Gloyynn3U

EDIT: YES, found it...this kills me everytime, 25 years later
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2r7sKzRfoE

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 20, 2018

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

No conversation about the best host segments is complete without mentioning the Orville popcorn sketch.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ballz posted:

No conversation about the best host segments is complete without mentioning the Orville popcorn sketch.

Indeed! "I, me, my! I'm the god! I'M THE GOD!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Having grown up in the early 70s and listening to AM rock radio, I enjoyed the "How many people were in the band 'Hamilton, Joe Frank, and Reynolds'" sketch.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I love "What would you do if you had a 3 hour layover in Chicago?" From The Rebel Set.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
All the host segments from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians are fantastic, and Crow's gift request of "I wanna decide who lives and who dies" is one of my favorite lines in the whole series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Joel trying to shut down the holo-clown simulator was loving brilliant. Monty Python could not have done any better.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
For all that Invasion of the Neptune Men is a slog of a film, I dearly, dearly love "Noh Theater".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love the Creeping Terror one that has Mike just listening to the music from the movie on loop on his huge stereo system. He just looks so content to listen to that 20-second loop of music. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THbKEXBk8X0

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rex Dart, Escimo spy always cracks me up, as do most of the musical numbers from the Sci Fi years. Tom getting madder and madder at Canada is good stuff.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Two words:

BROOKS AND DUNN

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
One of my all-time favorites is the Murder Mystery Dinner Party skit from Bloodlust, mostly for how Mike reacts to Crow ruining it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Artsygrrl posted:

BROOKS AND DUNN
Wynona!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

"Who is Wynona??"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

All the host segments from Santa Claus Conquers the Martians are fantastic, and Crow's gift request of "I wanna decide who lives and who dies" is one of my favorite lines in the whole series.

Plus Joel's timeless response: "Oh, I dunno...."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
One of my favorite Joel-era bits was when Frank and Forrester got into a violent knife fight over which of them was going to do the invention exchange, while Joel and the 'bots looked on in horror.

Second favorite would be the William Conrad First Alert Fridge Alarm, where the Mads kept collapsing in fits of laughter over the ridiculousness of the idea.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Season 2 is underappreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Imitating the movie? This is my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Gloyynn3U

This is the most "Joel Era" thing in MST3K history. Joel's parental towards the bots, props are falling apart, it's harmlessly goofy, and Joel flubs at least three lines.