Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Who's the worst player who would represent a clear improvement over JR Smith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AggressivelyStupid posted:

im sorry have you seen their fetish for centers

They have to be at least 7 feet tall. Thompson is a midget

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

big boi posted:

Who's the worst player who would represent a clear improvement over JR Smith?

Like, any starting or 6th man SG. Someone like Courtney Lee would be a HUGE upgrade. JR Smith has been putrid this year. Last year too really. He's probably cooked

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

RCarr is right, I didn't leave a space for screen name for maximum public shaming; if you wanna redo it, I updated the form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AaNbgTPUtt4MtyO8HwXiuZpUIo3CyaLZOwnnb-mKt6s/edit

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Carlosologist posted:

RCarr is right, I didn't leave a space for screen name for maximum public shaming; if you wanna redo it, I updated the form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AaNbgTPUtt4MtyO8HwXiuZpUIo3CyaLZOwnnb-mKt6s/edit
Shouldn't we be choosing 20?
https://twitter.com/BrandonHonaker1/status/954001694001647619

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

someone was talking about All-Stars, and I think you have to be more judicious if you have to pick 10 instead of 20. you could just be throwing names against the wall when you're at 16 or 17, but you really have to think about 10 I think

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Carlosologist posted:

Thank you. I'll still be here in five years even if all you jerks are gone to whatever is popular in 2023.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Brolander posted:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/954465382663950336

I want a tall man but hill isn’t the worst, some backcourt D

haha for the last month or two the thought "hey maybe Cleveland will want Hill" entered my mind and then I dismissed it as improbable. That Brooklyn pick is probably untouchable for anything not Gasol or Jordan

Cool Buff Man posted:

He just signed a pretty big deal, they'd have to get a third team involved probably. What a weird signing by Sacramento

Meh, the logic was and still is there. Fox isn't ready for full time starting PG duties. His game isn't there and even if you said he should play through it to learn, physically I doubt he could keep up. Hill is a text book bridge PG, was good enough to start for now and capable of playing off the ball if Fox is ready next year. The problem is that Hill hates mentoring young guys apparently and his performance fell off a cliff because he was unhappy having to teach kids on a bad team

It's actually effectively only a 2 year deal, so it's not that big. But yeah, matching $20M in salary will be tough which is why I get puzzled whenever someone signs for $15M+ and the thread is like "well that's what average starting guys go for now adays"

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Meh, the logic was and still is there. Fox isn't ready for full time starting PG duties. His game isn't there and even if you said he should play through it to learn, physically I doubt he could keep up. Hill is a text book bridge PG, was good enough to start for now and capable of playing off the ball if Fox is ready next year. The problem is that Hill hates mentoring young guys apparently and his performance fell off a cliff because he was unhappy.

It's actually effectively only a 2 year deal, so it's not that big. But yeah, matching $20M in salary will be tough which is why I get puzzled whenever someone signs for $15M+ and the thread is like "well that's what average starting guys go for now adays"

Yeah I just meant salary wise, I get him mentoring / handling the bulk of the starting PG duties. Seemed like a great guy for that until it became clear he hated it. It was always going to be an odd amount to match and I assumed he was there to stay

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't even want to theorize what the Kings could or should get back from Cleveland because history has shown that once Vlade locks on a decision to dump a player he doesn't pay attention to anything else.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Fast Luck posted:

College kids I hear are great category
17 DeAndre Ayton
18 Marvin Bagley III
19 Trae Young

No Doncic what. He's gotta be in there above Ayton, Bagley and Young.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Apparently Tristan Thompson is having a kid with Khloe?

*moves Celtics to ECF slot*

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Aa...wnnb-mKt6s/edit

someone was talking about All-Stars, and I think you have to be more judicious if you have to pick 10 instead of 20. you could just be throwing names against the wall when you're at 16 or 17, but you really have to think about 10 I think

20 is more interesting. Bleacher report's top-10 was pretty defensible throughout, the next 10 are where things get way more interesting.

Filled it out though!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
poo poo, I forgot to put in Zhou Qi.

I went safe and just selected dudes who are already in the league. Although it's possible dudes like Harden, Durant and Curry will get hurt it seems way safer to bet on them getting in on talent and fame than it is on cool high school name guys becoming superstars.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mikeraskol posted:

No Doncic what. He's gotta be in there above Ayton, Bagley and Young.
I forgot about him because he's in Europe. He definitely seems so NBA ready that being a top 20 player in 5 years is realistic, if he's good enough. He's probably a better option than Trae Young to round out my 20.

Lockback posted:

20 is more interesting. Bleacher report's top-10 was pretty defensible throughout, the next 10 are where things get way more interesting.

Filled it out though!
Yeah, I feel like there's almost 10 guys that are slam dunk choices which limits the exercise a bit.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 20, 2018

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Fast Luck posted:

I forgot about him because he's in Europe. He definitely seems so NBA ready that being a top 20 player in 5 years is realistic, if he's good enough. He's probably a better option than Trae Young to round out my 20.

Yeah, I feel like there's almost 10 guys that are slam dunk choices which limits the exercise a bit.

Rose and especially Howard must have seemed the same 5 years ago. Howard was on one of the most dominant defensive runs of all time and only what, 27?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

chunkles posted:

Apparently Tristan Thompson is having a kid with Khloe?

*moves Celtics to ECF slot*

oh poo poo he's have a Khid, trade trade trade

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

Thank you. I'll still be here in five years even if all you jerks are gone to whatever is popular in 2023.

I made sure to put "probably dead" in parentheses next to my name when I filled it out so no one will be sad when you guys go back over this in five years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Like, any starting or 6th man SG. Someone like Courtney Lee would be a HUGE upgrade. JR Smith has been putrid this year. Last year too really. He's probably cooked

He definitely looks done.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

quadruple cuck posted:

Besides, JoJo is gonna convince LeBron to come to Philly

Late to this party, but in the unrealistic scenario that Philly has a max and FAs are falling over each other to come there - LeBron or PG13?

(It’s Lebron)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
What's up with Smith? I haven't got to see many Cavs games. Is it a season thing like his shot off or is his insane athleticism starting to fade and it's gonna be retirement soon

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

What's up with Smith? I haven't got to see many Cavs games. Is it a season thing like his shot off or is his insane athleticism starting to fade and it's gonna be retirement soon

It's kind of everything, he dropped from a 5 win share player to an <1 winshare player last year and seems to be continuing that trend. I would imagine his athleticism is fading and it's causing him to fall apart at all seams. He also has struggled to stay above .500 TS% since 2015 so the shot is definitely gone too

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Earl needs to ride into the sunset it's a sad truth but still a truth

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Earl needs to go to a tanking team and be told to just jack 'em up

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I feel like JR Smith has been overrated since he left Denver outside of maybe a year in NY.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the moment I fell in love with the NBA was when Earl dropped 25 on Christmas against the Lakers that one year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

I feel like JR Smith has been overrated since he left Denver outside of maybe a year in NY.

He played really solid defense in the championship Cavs year and was integral to their offense
Every season he's combined offense with defense has been very good for hsi team

"Everyone can just relax until the playoffs" is probably not a good message for a guy like JR.

It seems like his last injury or two have worn on him

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Spacebump posted:

people here said he was just a worse version of dion waiters when he was traded to the cavs. they thought iman shumpert was the real cornerstone of that deal

EvanTH posted:

his shot was poop to start the year and hes been super hesitant to chuck it all season. some of its probably age too, but if jr isnt chucking is he even jr

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I really don't like Martin Bagley's game today

He's Mikki Moore with handles. (Reference for early 2000s NBA weakside shot blocking fans)

He has the potential to be a really special player, with Anthony Davis range on defense and a solid jumper, to use a stupid word "a unicorn" as in a tall player with guard skills and lateral mobility. If you have 2 other great players and a player like that, you can win a championship. Marvin Bagley III could win you a championship.

But it's quite possible that he'll be more like a 7'0 Rodney Hood, a lanky slithery guy who's a streaky shooter (hair theory) who doesn't play good defense or get contested rebounds. Marvin Bagley III could get you fired.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 20, 2018

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
When the game slows down, Marvin Bagley III plays like a taller Evan Turner

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marvin Bagley III plays like a kid who watched tape of Joel Embiid but needs 3 years of practicing against 5'8 player development coaches before any of the spinning hooks and lay ins ever hit the rim

Edit:
Deandre Ayton is so old school, he's like a modern day 80s/90s cebter on offense. He's just pivoting and making space for easy easy points. When he rebounds in a crowd, he gently rises and comes up with the ball, despite being surrounded.

His pnr defense looks lazy, because he relys on his length to obstruct passing lanes and his size to simply block the path. But I've seen him tip tap his feet to shadow his man a few times. It's a real conundrum. Having to take the weight of choosing between them and then putting together a plan to turn them into NBA players must be both incredibly fun and terribly stressful.

Ayton plays at a very steady pace, and it's nice to see a player do what he does best against set defenses.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 20, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mikki Moore bought classic cars instead of new ones because they appreciate. That is your random Mikki Moore fact of the day

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I chose 10 players other than LeBron James because if LBJ is in the league, he'll be an all-star and if he's not in the league, he obviously won't, so picking him seemed based on whether or not I think he'd retire within 5 years which wasn't the question.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That feeling you have when you laugh about someone overpaying Mikki Moore because of the Jason Kidd bump and then you find out it's you

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

dokmo posted:

Just looking at this page, the majority of us registered in the aughts so it seems pretty likely that we'll be here. And there's one dude that registered in *squints* 1988?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just looking at this page, the majority of us registered in the aughts so it seems pretty likely that we'll be here. And there's one dude that registered in *squints* 1988?

Its more of a question of whether Lowtax keeps the lights on for another 5 years

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

The Glumslinger posted:

Its more of a question of whether Lowtax keeps the lights on for another 5 years

Not a chance in hell

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

if he shuts it down we can just start a listserv

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's Mikki Moore with handles. (Reference for early 2000s NBA weakside shot blocking fans)

What about 90s Nebrasketball fans :colbert:

Eric Piatkowski was a childhood hero

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

What about 90s Nebrasketball fans :colbert:

Eric Piatkowski was a childhood hero

I always traded for "The Polish Rifle" in NBA Live 01, the one with KG on the cover.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think those of us who grew up playing NBA games on various platforms probably subconsciously understood the value of the 3. On every iteration of the game I was scammed into buying, I always subbed in great 3 point shooters and just hoisted em.

Heck, I had Latrell freaking Sprewell bombing 3s on the 04 Wolves. For some reason he was classified as a "3pt shooter" with the little bulls eye emblem.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Ugh everyone is assuming this tweet means Mirotic deal is already in place

https://twitter.com/1280Spence/status/954509784920637442

• Locked thread