Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Samizdata posted:

Okay, see, this is the sort of thing I was encouraging. Instead of just saying "It sucks", I wanted someone to put a little thought into how it could be better.

Well, the studio says it has to be PG-13. Otherwise, no movie. Let me think about it a bit...

Oh I get why, and the result was a very profitable and very successful movie that I just didn't particularly like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

All Quiet on the western front?

Cool, will give it a go.

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Saving Private Ryan's Dad

Will look it up, cheers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ilmucche posted:

Will look it up, cheers.

Good luck.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Trump weighs 239 pounds, the White House physician said on Tuesday. Standing at 6 feet 3 inches, Trump falls just within the "overweight" range on the body mass index.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
poo poo that Did Happen: And that president’s name was Ed Hedican: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/guelph-professor-leave-of-absence-1.4489287

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I looked up the cognitive test he was given. It's actually a very easy test given to patients with severe dementia, seeing if they can do stuff like count backwards or draw simple shapes or identify animals. Trump passing it is absolutely meaningless if he's still in the early stages.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

Yeah, this. They just saw two gods have a video game boss fight. I'd probably drop my gun, too.

:hfive: fellow video game boss fight survivor!

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

ilmucche posted:

Has there ever been a good ww1 movie? One that gets into how lovely and terrible it was outside of like paths of glory?

Paths of glory, All quiet on the western front, Gallipoli, Joyeux Noel and Beneath Hill 60 are my personal favourites. For documentaries World War one in colour, Apocalypse ww1, and The Great War youtube channel are great.

Tarantula has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jan 17, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ugh, some of those comments.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh I get why, and the result was a very profitable and very successful movie that I just didn't particularly like.

Fair enough. I am sure there is poo poo you like I don't.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gambor posted:

I know this is from last page, but whatever.

They could have ended Wonder Woman by having her realize that killing one entity won't end war and deciding to save the people she can instead of trying to be an agent of retribution. Like if, say, they made it so that she had to leave Ares behind to go save her squad buddies or something. You know, something that meshes with the point of the movie rather than saying that war is part of human nature, but then having WWI end when she kills Ares.

The war was already ending. The whole thing was to stop Ares from loving up the armistice going into effect.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Byzantine posted:

The war was already ending. The whole thing was to stop Ares from loving up the armistice going into effect.

All right I guess enough people have skipped spoilers that I can too.

The problem with it is how it's portrayed. After making a big deal about how killing Ares won't stop the war, killing Ares is immediately followed up by imagery that shows the war stopping. The sun comes out and all the Germans smile and throw down their weapons as if a magic spell has been lifted from them. Even if it wasn't necessarily the intention, the movie depicts exactly what it said wasn't the case.

Another issue I have is that they really left stuff hanging with her companions and Dr. Poison. A major villain (who I should point out was probably the coolest DCU villain ever and honestly deserves a whole movie for herself) runs off without any kind of comeuppance or reference in modern day, but we also don't learn a thing about Diana's WW1 buddies after the events of the movie. You'd think they had more adventures or Diana had done something to honor them in her office in 2017, but they seemingly cease to exist or matter once their part in the plot is done. At least put up some obituaries on the wall behind her desk to show when they died and that she's still remembering them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

killing ares stops a singular war but it doesn't stop war, every line about the great war ending is uttered under the shadow that we the audience call that same war 'world war 1' for a reason

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Also no one knew WW II was going to happen, or Korea, or Vietnam, or Iraq or Afghanistan. As far as they knew all war was ended because it was the worst war ever as far as they were concerned.

By “they” I mean all those characters in a movie based on a comic book about a woman with superpowers from a fictional place. A movie which just happened to be set during WW I for the convenient purpose of its protagonist fighting the literal Greek god of war who was the cause of all war.

So sure, it ended the worst war of the time in which millions died. I’m okay assuming these fictional characters would not be able to predict a future filled with more war, even if a god who presumably caused all wars ever, wasn’t just defeated

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Yeah goldens are super pretentious and always refer to themselves in the third person when they write.

Third person?

I'll give you a second to rethink that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

This sets back the "everyone didn't clap" agenda for years.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

Third person?

I'll give you a second to rethink that.

The joke is that the dog didn't write the note, and we know this because golden retrievers are pretentious and always write in third person.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Seventh Arrow posted:

The joke is that the dog didn't write the note, and we know this because golden retrievers are pretentious and always write in third person.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah, that went *whoosh*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

This sets back the "everyone didn't clap" agenda for years.

Right? I’m really disappointed in my alma mater.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

They should have just written 7 feet even. That way he won't even be overweight.

Katt has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Jan 17, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hot take, the ending of Wonder Woman wasn't great or the worst thing ever, it was okay, like most superhero movie endings

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The greatest World War I movie of all time is La Grande Illusion. Fite me irl :colbert:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have seen a WWI movie but all I can remember about it is a guy sitting in a trench behind a machine gun and staring out into No Man’s Land like he was shell shocked or mortified by the violence he just saw.

Oh and I guess I saw AQotWF after I read the book. I’m actually kind of astounded they haven’t rebooted that into a brand new movie

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

killing ares stops a singular war but it doesn't stop war, every line about the great war ending is uttered under the shadow that we the audience call that same war 'world war 1' for a reason

That it stops the singular war is the problem. They just got through saying that he wasn't using his god powers to do anything other than whisper in the ears of a few key people, that humanities inherent bloodlust was all that was needed to turn a few ideas into a war that consumed a continent. In fact this is his whole point in the fight, that Diana is fighting to protect unworthy men from him, when all he did was let them kill each other. But then he dies, and suddenly it's peace and laughter. As said earlier, it's not the armistice, the fight ends, the sun comes up, the Germans at the base are no longer hostile. That there are other wars outside the scope of the movie doesn't change the fact that they say one thing, then show another.

Now, as an apology for continuing on Wonder Woman chat, here is some STDH from imgur:

quote:

Man (mid 30’s) and built like Shrek comes in to watch a football match, he has a few bottles of cider and I give him a game of pool saying as there is only 3 or 4 people in. He beat me at pool and we had a laugh about it, then another regular comes in and asks loudly if I wanted to play him, I agreed and halfway through the game “Shrek” comes in and tells me to pour his drink down the sink... I find it a little weird but so are most of our customers so I indulge him. Drink goes down the sink, “now give me my money back” I started laughing at first, obviously thinking he was joking... before refusing and asking why he didn’t want his drink... turned out that he had decided he was “holding the pool table” because he won the last game. That’s not how it works in this particular pub but some do this, so I told him if he thought that he could have said before I started playing the other customer as he clearly heard me being asked. He tells me to give him the money for the drink back or he’ll phone the police... at this point I find it so ridiculous that I tell him to go ahead. I return to the pool room and continue playing. I then overhear him on the phone saying “you will send a car round! Or else I’m gona end up kicking this guys oval office in!” I head back round to the main bar and tell him to leave, and that he’ll be “kicking no-ones oval office in” he tells me to come outside saying I think I’m a big man (I’m 23 and 5’4) this guys was around 6’1 so I tell him that If im going outside the pool cues coming with me, he then mumbled some unrecognisable poo poo then left in a mood.

There are more:
https://imgur.com/gallery/PopQE

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My money is on that guy not even being scottish, let alone managing a bar. Every story is just so generic and boring.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
When I was a bartender on Capital Hill I had a creepy somewhat regular customer come in and ask about reserving the upstairs floor to do a "screening party" and he detailed his plan to show great speeches from heads of state throughout history for the other hill rats to enjoy. He went on to explain that the heads of state he had in mind were Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler and that we as a country don't respect their amazing oratory skills, so it would be useful to watch them and really just take it all in. I told him that would never happen and he didn't come back to the bar anymore.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

When I was a bartender on Capital Hill I had a creepy somewhat regular customer come in and ask about reserving the upstairs floor to do a "screening party" and he detailed his plan to show great speeches from heads of state throughout history for the other hill rats to enjoy. He went on to explain that the heads of state he had in mind were Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler and that we as a country don't respect their amazing oratory skills, so it would be useful to watch them and really just take it all in. I told him that would never happen and he didn't come back to the bar anymore.

I doubt Stalin made 15 minutes worth of speeches total in his whole political career. He was a writer when it came to messages.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

I doubt Stalin made 15 minutes worth of speeches total in his whole political career. He was a writer when it came to messages.

When people want to be fascists they don't let little things like "facts" get in their way

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

You have to call mom "mom" in the conversation so the audience knows who is who.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This would make for a great sitcom scene.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Katt posted:

This would make for a great sitcom scene.

Yes, Reno 911 and Officer Dangle.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Katt posted:

You have to call mom "mom" in the conversation so the audience knows who is who.

I believe this one. Anti-drug moms are like cultists

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

If this didn't happen....why the gently caress would someone post it on their OWN facebook?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

If this didn't happen....why the gently caress would someone post it on their OWN facebook?

The owner took the phone they dropped and posted on the thief's Facebook to shame them.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Lol

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

chitoryu12 posted:

The owner took the phone they dropped and posted on the thief's Facebook to shame them.

Right, I get that that's the narrative, but by virtue of being in this thread, we're to assume it's not true...so that means someone posted it on their own FB? Or a friend took their phone and BSed it, but this seems a little egregious to lie about on someone's page.

Put it another way: I don't get what about it seems stdh to the person who posted it, unless they are just saying that it wasn't written by the owner of the FB account, in which case...yeah no poo poo

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's probs a fake facebook post that was never posted anywhere and then people post an image of that facebook post and get internet points for it. They just claim that it was on friend's wall or somethign.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

There really isn't a need to come into this thread to post about how the stdh could have actually happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

kazil posted:

There really isn't a need to come into this thread to post about how the stdh could have actually happened.

I think sometimes it's ok because I've learned some cool things when people point out an inconsistnecy or something but sometimes things are just obviously fake and silley