Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Snagged two tickets to see my avatar boys at Irving Plaza next week. A 1,000-person GA-only venue is what I need to wipe out the taste of the seated Kimmel Center show in Philly

What was bad about that show? Curious... I am not a huge fan but like them ok but feel slightly bad about standing someone up the night of their show when they kept pressing me to go days before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Snagged two tickets to see my avatar boys at Irving Plaza next week. A 1,000-person GA-only venue is what I need to wipe out the taste of the seated Kimmel Center show in Philly

Oh man Irving Plaza. U2's Irving Plaza show from 2000 is goddamned legendary.

Well I mean amongst us terrible U2 fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrrLPGExxpA

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I cant remember the last time I payed over $40 for any ticket, you guys in big coast cities?

I am thinking of seeing Bad Bad Hats tomorrow. It will cost 10 dollars and probably have 20 people max at it. Mmmmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOUC6m82xEc

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm thinking of paying $40 to see tune-yards. I feel like that show would be awesome

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
see tune-yards. support queer artists.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

thehoodie posted:

I'm thinking of paying $40 to see tune-yards. I feel like that show would be awesome

I saw her a few years ago. It is quite a unique show (Dine on Tots), but good nonetheless.

I meet Merrill at a restaurant down the street just before that show, and just made me remember this new VIP trend. I have noticed in the past year or so a lot of artists offering VIP where you pay like $100 or so on top of the ticket price and get to meet them before doors and get some other merchandise poo poo. This has been really bugging me a lot. I get people want to meet artists and are willing to pay for it if they want, but it feels so weird to me to pay that much to walk up to them to get a picture and say something for ten seconds? Yes anything over a small indie venue is impossible to meet with fans, but I have meet artists over the years by just bumping into them on the streets or around town before the show and that experience is far more gratifying than paying out some fee to have the same lame experience as a few dozen others.

Ranty I know, but it's been bugging me every time the VIP option pops up on ticket checkout.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Slandible posted:

I cant remember the last time I payed over $40 for any ticket, you guys in big coast cities?

DC here. I'm surprised how far back I had to go. Without fees, the last expensive shows I saw were Adam Ant ($35), Chvrches ($35), and Morrissey ($55). I would have paid a lot of money to see Depeche Mode and Warpaint last year (dream bill), but I had a conflict. :qq:

I feel like $10–25 shows are the best value. I just bought tickets to see Japanese Breakfast at the 9:30 Club for $18 ($29 with fees :argh:). Excited to see her headline.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I'm really liking the new Porches album

DasNeonLicht posted:

I just bought tickets to see Japanese Breakfast at the 9:30 Club for $18 ($29 with fees :argh:). Excited to see her headline.

Mine was $13 ($17.25 total) for Ottobar in Baltimore

Big City Drinkin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 20, 2018

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I live in Baltimore and work in DC and laughed at these posts. Let's hang guys...

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

T Bowl posted:

What was bad about that show? Curious... I am not a huge fan but like them ok but feel slightly bad about standing someone up the night of their show when they kept pressing me to go days before.

The National have a completely different vibe when you're in GA. Of the handful of times I've seen them, 4 or 5 have been in standing GA, and those were both A) more energetic on the band's part and B) more engaged on the audience's part than that Philly show. There was no movement at Kimmel, even when Matt perused the crowd like he usually does. It was just a different vibe that ran afoul of what I knew to be National shows before that.

If you're at one of those shows and in the pack of a GA crowd, there's just more life to the show.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
All shows should be GA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Earlier I paid $33 to see Sleigh Bells in a couple weeks. I've seen them before at a festival and that absolutely seems like a fair price. Their live shows are intense as gently caress.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AverySpecialfriend posted:

All shows should be GA

Agreed. I won't go to assigned seating shows anymore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed. I won't go to assigned seating shows anymore.
I think the last assigned seating show I went to was the last time I saw Sigur Ros, and that was fine. I've seen them both standing and seated and both are fine. The experience of seeing one of their live shows is like a big wave you can just let wash over you. They're not a band I absolutely need to be in the front row dancing for. But some shows I've seen had assigned seating and that's just loving weird. I saw Nine Inch Nails at an amphitheater in The Woodlands (outside of Houston) a few years ago and that had assigned seating, but fortunately I had lawn tickets and could stand and really enjoy the show even though I was kinda far back. I can't imagine being seated for a NIN show.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I saw Ben Folds at an assigned seating show last year and while he a fantastic musician, I just didn't enjoy the concert experience because of the seats. GA or I'm staying home now, basically.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CLAM DOWN posted:

I saw Ben Folds at an assigned seating show last year and while he a fantastic musician, I just didn't enjoy the concert experience because of the seats. GA or I'm staying home now, basically.
Yeah, I could see the argument for that, especially if the show's expensive. Like sometimes you might as well just be at home watching a concert DVD if you can't be right up next to the band.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only exception I'd make is for M83, because I love M83 more than anything in the universe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only exception I'd make is for M83, because I love M83 more than anything in the universe.
I saw M83 in 2016 and I was in the front row of GA, literally a few feet away from Anthony. It was at a theater that has a balcony with seats too, but I had been waiting over a decade to see them live at that point. No loving way I was gonna be that far away.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw M83 in 2016 and I was in the front row of GA, literally a few feet away from Anthony. It was at a theater that has a balcony with seats too, but I had been waiting over a decade to see them live at that point. No loving way I was gonna be that far away.

When they played in Vancouver in 2016 it was GA and I was dead centre of the floor like 10m back from the stage. It was a dream.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did he rock this bitch?

I've seen him three times. First was with an orchestra, though I had lovely seating there. Second was solo and third with his band at the time, around 2011?

He's a great entertainer. Good stories and always keen to improv.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SwissCM posted:

Did he rock this bitch?

I've seen him three times. First was with an orchestra, though I had lovely seating there. Second was solo and third with his band at the time, around 2011?

He's a great entertainer. Good stories and always keen to improv.

It was his solo piano show, the paper airplanes tour, he is so goddamn talented. At intermission we all wrote requests on paper airplanes then threw them, then he'd pick up random ones to play that song. I made a gif of the moment:

Very fun show.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

She puts on an amazing show. Not a fan of the new album though.

e: What I've heard from it, I mean.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've only seen Ben Folds once, like 6 years ago, with Minus The Bear at a local university. It was all seating since it was in a college auditorium. There was like barely anyone there for Minus The Bear, who I mainly went to see. That was weird, because I've seen them several other times and they've had a much bigger crowd every other time. But people showed up in droves for Ben Folds and went loving crazy for him.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've seen the Avett Brothers about 6 times. 2 have been seated and the rest GA. They do a good job of having two separate styles of shows for different venues. Mainly GA venues are a fuckin' rock show and for seated theaters they play more slow stuff.

However for the last show, it was a theater show and I was on the front row. The *entire* theater stood the whole time and it was a fun raucous time EXCEPT for the first two rows. Almost everyone in the first two rows sat down. It was weird. My wife and I stood the whole time though and Scott came and high fived us because we were standing.

As I'm about to turn 40 I keep swearing I'm going to switch to seating at shows instead of GA, but every time it comes to buying tickets I can't do it. I always get GA. It's just the best.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Seeing The National tonight for my first time and am very excited.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

All shows should be assigned seats, no standing allowed, no opener, no encore, and over by 10pm. gently caress I’m old now....

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

ogopogo posted:

Seeing The National tonight for my first time and am very excited.

No matter where you are, you have at least a 5% chance of Matt being out in the crowd next to you during Terrible Love

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

resident posted:

All shows should be assigned seats, no standing allowed, no opener, no encore, and over by 10pm. gently caress I’m old now....

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Why are encores even a thing anymore. Just play your setlist all the way through instead of pretending to end the concert for 5 minutes, jerks

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HorseRenoir posted:

Why are encores even a thing anymore. Just play your setlist all the way through instead of pretending to end the concert for 5 minutes, jerks
I saw The Cure in 2016 and they played, no exaggeration, 5 encores lmao

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I worker security in high school in 2004 and the eagles did i think five as well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

resident posted:

Either old or German.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

Sometimes you really need to piss

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Trig Discipline posted:

Either old or German.

German heritage on both sides. I’m having a moment of transcendental clarity. *puts on Tago Mago vinyl*

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw The Cure in 2016 and they played, no exaggeration, 5 encores lmao

Same here. Their encores were longer than their main set.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

resident posted:

I agree with times, especially on weekdays. All the small indie venues around here think doors at 10 and main acts going on after midnight on a weekday is alright. What person working can go to these!?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I got a promotion a few years ago and my hours changed from 10am-6pm to 6am-2pm and my entire life changed. I went from seeing like 40 shows a year and all my best friends were bartenders to being lame and sleepy all the time. Electronic stuff is brutal because acts don't even want to start until 1am and poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

I got a promotion a few years ago and my hours changed from 10am-6pm to 6am-2pm and my entire life changed. I went from seeing like 40 shows a year and all my best friends were bartenders to being lame and sleepy all the time. Electronic stuff is brutal because acts don't even want to start until 1am and poo poo.

I would so not take that promotion haha, live music is my life.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
All shows should be GA and all ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AverySpecialfriend posted:

All shows should be GA and all ages

gently caress that, GA and 19+ (drinking age here is 19)