Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
RME
Feb 20, 2012

please
the butts are handles
the consoles are on the back of their head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Genista was only in this episode for like 30 seconds, but she was adorable for all of it.

Good robot.

https://twitter.com/ya_y_a_ya/status/952546807241891841

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 21, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

He's just a generic kid bully, he has time to grow out of it. If it helps you can imagine him coming from an abusive single parent household or something, rather than wishing a kid death.

I mean, he kind of literally does come from one of those.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I tried making some out-of-context GIFs and speeding them up because I thought they'd look funny, but ended up scrapping the idea mid production because I don't need to invite the FBI up my rear end

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, he kind of literally does come from one of those.

People have a hard time picking up details that aren't directly stated on screen in the least subtle anime ever made, please be understanding.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

He's just a generic kid bully, he has time to grow out of it. If it helps you can imagine him coming from an abusive single parent household or something, rather than wishing a kid death.

If you need an explanation, it's worth bringing up that he's much smaller than the standard bully archetype, to the point where most of the girls are taller than he is. He's basically a shrimp with low test scores who's being an rear end in a top hat to try to convince everyone (not least of all himself) that he's hot poo poo in spite of everything.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

yea my original post was supposed to mention "adolescent self-esteem issues" somewhere but I hit submit then was like :effort:

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
If the only thing that comes from this show is using giant robots to drive home the fact that an important part of a serious relationship is determining if you are each capable of providing the kind of intimacy the other person needs then it will have all been worth it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

If you need an explanation, it's worth bringing up that he's much smaller than the standard bully archetype, to the point where most of the girls are taller than he is. He's basically a shrimp with low test scores who's being an rear end in a top hat to try to convince everyone (not least of all himself) that he's hot poo poo in spite of everything.

Unfortunately he gets paired up with the smallest girl too so no fun there.

I know people are afraid of Hiro after the nightmare called Sieg, but Hiro actually got pissed when shortstuff was messing with him. He's not emotionless, but has an inferiority complex. Verrrry different from :geno: Sieg

On the thread, you all are doing the exact same thing that was done in the LoL/HnK thread. This show has had 2 episodes shown and no other prior source material that its based on, so let it setup its (metaphorical) mystery before you all fly off the handle. It may subvert these things later on, or it may not.

In short, I believe this sums up my feelings on this thread:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wasn't the Lol situation the exact opposite of this (arguing about stuff that was known based on the source)?

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

This show is good. I don't have much to say about the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer imagery and euphemisms, but the action has been at least passable so far, and interesting character drama and conflicts are being set up regarding 02/Ichigo/Hiro, Zorome and Miku. I want to see how those pay off, and what's going on with the death cult adults.

This being Trigger at least in part, there's definitely going to be role swaps between Hiro/02 as protagonist and heroine, and playing around with the mech cockpit positions and gender combinations. I'm excited to see more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Desuwa posted:

People are saying to trust in Trigger but I don't feel that Trigger ever earned my trust.

It's less that we trust Trigger to deliver something good so much as we trust them, when given free reign, to deliver gives-no-fucks batshit insanity backed by interesting themes/ideas.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

This anime... is ridiculous and I'll keep watching it. Big boy is good boy, keep eating the breads.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

suggestive-bacon.gif

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

couldn't resist

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Eela6 posted:

I hope they double fakeout and 02 kills him like the rest :getin:

I would absolutely prefer this, or at least Hiro being in the receiving seat which I think would explain why all the men paired with 02 died. Because the girls are all the ones who showed effort and exertion.
As much as I want a boy princess situation to rival Witch Craft Works I really don't think they're gonna stick the landing, but that's a two episode feeling.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The name of the OP song is "Kiss of Death" so I wouldn't be too surprised if something weird happens.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

AnacondaHL posted:

couldn't resist

if possible, could you please tie these together

....and them make them avatar sized......

RME
Feb 20, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

couldn't resist

cool magic trick

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

King Cohort posted:

I don't have much to say about the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer imagery and euphemisms

I do. I think the fact that they're being SO blatant about it that nobody can even dare say its just subtext or metaphor is interesting, because it lets them make a series that (hopfully) can address the effect of physical intimacy on teenage relationships, something that anime has a tendency to approach in pretty drat cartoony ways, without running directly in the massive truck full of unfortunate implications and ratings issues that would result from actually having a bunch of teenagers loving all the time.

Compare this with kiznaiver, which had its weird magic excuse for relationship connections be a little too symbolic and ended up being kind of a weird confusing mess. Having it be so blatant could work out in a novel way AND give people lots of stuff to masturbate over (the one true value of anime).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on the other hand utena had its sexual stuff be super blatant while also expressing it in funnier/more interesting ways than a guy humping a realdoll

'dont think youre the only one that can turn into a car'

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

if possible, could you please tie these together

Expect My Mom posted:

....and them make them avatar sized......

it's a lot of frames, let me try a few things~

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

on the other hand utena had its sexual stuff be super blatant while also expressing it in funnier/more interesting ways than a guy humping a realdoll

one of my favorites is there's just one episode where in all of touga's scenes he's holding like a large carrot or a small cactus up to his head

AnacondaHL posted:

it's a lot of frames, let me try a few things~
lmao, dont sweat it at all, thank you tho for indulging me lately

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

lmao, dont sweat it at all, thank you tho for indulging me lately

I enjoy the challenge

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

utena was approaching relationships from the completely opposite angle. for one the stuff in this show appears to at least on some level be healthy, whereas literally nothing in utena was healthy for anyone involved also, utena was a show that had to wait almost 30 episodes and most of a recap episode to get any actual sex in, and even then it had to hide that poo poo under a lot of smoke and mirrors.

If you're gonna ask me if utena was better than this show two episodes in, absolutely, but I don't believe you can compare them at all beyond "thre's a lady with pink hair who disregards all the rules of this weirdly enclosed society of teenagers"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

one of my favorites is there's just one episode where in all of touga's scenes he's holding like a large carrot or a small cactus up to his head
i like that he not only does that, but they specifically have an arrow pointing to the small cactus he's holding and the much larger cactus sitting next to akio

darealkooky posted:

utena was approaching relationships from the completely opposite angle. for one the stuff in this show appears to at least on some level be healthy, whereas literally nothing in utena was healthy for anyone involved also, utena was a show that had to wait almost 30 episodes and most of a recap episode to get any actual sex in, and even then it had to hide that poo poo under a lot of smoke and mirrors.

If you're gonna ask me if utena was better than this show two episodes in, absolutely, but I don't believe you can compare them at all beyond "thre's a lady with pink hair who disregards all the rules of this weirdly enclosed society of teenagers"

i was mostly comparing them in terms of 'very blatant psychosexual imagery'

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

i like that he not only does that, but they specifically have an arrow pointing to the small cactus he's holding and the much larger cactus sitting next to akio
it owns that they can do goofy stuff like this and nanami and juri talking about their balls, but stuff like the flashing STOP signs in the first Utena and Akio car scene can still be super chilling

AnacondaHL posted:

I enjoy the challenge

lmfao hell yeah, thank you

i'll try and remember to do this tomorrow

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

lmfao hell yeah, thank you

i'll try and remember to do this tomorrow

I thought up an alternative loop that could also work:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Endorph posted:

It's been 21 years since Utena and nothing has remotely approached its level so I don't think it's fair to anybody to hold Mecha Anime By Trigger up next to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

It's been 21 years since Utena and nothing has remotely approached its level so I don't think it's fair to anybody to hold Mecha Anime By Trigger up next to it.
i liked wixoss more than utena in that aspect because all the transitions to the card game were literally just glowing ethereal doors shaped like vaginas and the in-universe term for playing the card game was the exact same term used for homosexual relationships, a direct translation would be like 'same-sex battling'

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah wixoss was sick

On the other hand apparently the naked mouth fishing scene in the Manga version lovingly draws 02's vagina's reflection in the water droplets around her so the artist doesn't have to censor it so that's even more blatant I guess

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

During episode one I was all "hahah the girls' skin suits have high heels. Oh hahah, the robots have high heels too. Well of course they do. Oh Japan, you so funny and/or sexist."

And then episode two the rear end handles came out and it was then that I realized that I knew nothing.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

NotALizardman posted:

Genista was only in this episode for like 30 seconds, but she was adorable for all of it.
She's cute but I dare say there's another side to her design.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Oh hahah, the robots have high heels too. Well of course they do. Oh Japan, you so funny and/or sexist
Gonna object on that one because Tauburn from Star Driver, from the same mecha designer, had high heels too and was designed to be manly mcbadass fencerbot and the designer felt high heels simply didn't detract from that.

Chev fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 21, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lol this is quite a show

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
strellawhateveritscalled has a nice butt

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I liked the second episode of this show

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
0 2 is really helping carry it though

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I have to come clean about my motivation for watching this show

I dig chicks with horns

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Eej posted:

Oh yeah wixoss was sick

On the other hand apparently the naked mouth fishing scene in the Manga version lovingly draws 02's vagina's reflection in the water droplets around her so the artist doesn't have to censor it so that's even more blatant I guess

That's just Yabuki doing his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
I went from laughter, to confusion, silence, and finally shame all in the space of five seconds.

And then I started laughing again. Show's good.

• Locked thread