Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

In MSB2 what are my option to increase the growth speed of my nether/dragon/awakened agri seeds?

Enriched bonemeal (3 bonemeal + rotten flesh) can instantly grow the crop, and can be applied with a mechanical user. The way I did it was to have zombie and skeleton seeds making more enriched bonemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
You can stack up to like 32 mystical agriculture growth accelerators underneath your tilled blocks to speed up growth.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I keep coming back to this game every year or so, what do folks use for pack launchers these days? I think it was the Curse launcher last I checked, though. Are grindy tech progression packs still all the rage?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Ash Rose posted:

I keep coming back to this game every year or so, what do folks use for pack launchers these days? I think it was the Curse launcher last I checked, though. Are grindy tech progression packs still all the rage?
Curse got bought by Twitch or something, so it's all rolled into that now. And yeah, it's still the best thing.

I enjoyed Rise of the Pack when I played it a couple months ago. It's has a quest book and taught me a few new mods.

I'm not sure if it's the faster release schedule or people just getting tired of it, but it seems like the modding scene is kind of thinning out.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

ImpactVector posted:

Curse got bought by Twitch or something, so it's all rolled into that now. And yeah, it's still the best thing.

I enjoyed Rise of the Pack when I played it a couple months ago. It's has a quest book and taught me a few new mods.

I'm not sure if it's the faster release schedule or people just getting tired of it, but it seems like the modding scene is kind of thinning out.

Thank you very much, giving Rise of the Pack a try.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Enriched bonemeal (3 bonemeal + rotten flesh) can instantly grow the crop, and can be applied with a mechanical user. The way I did it was to have zombie and skeleton seeds making more enriched bonemeal.

I will try that. I have about 30k of both bone and flesh. I will see how quickly i use it up.

Black Pants posted:

You can stack up to like 32 mystical agriculture growth accelerators underneath your tilled blocks to speed up growth.

Black Pants posted:

I was reading somewhere that these things are super laggy though? which is why i havent tried it. WIll 32 give almost isntat growth?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I am not seeing any kind of quest book in Rise of the Pack, maybe I am on a different version?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

I will try that. I have about 30k of both bone and flesh. I will see how quickly i use it up.

I was reading somewhere that these things are super laggy though? which is why i havent tried it. WIll 32 give almost isntat growth?

I haven't heard anything about lagginess, they just sorta sit there. And yes, yes it will.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Ash Rose posted:

I am not seeing any kind of quest book in Rise of the Pack, maybe I am on a different version?

IIRC, the pack doesn't bother giving it to you as an item. Look for the hotkey that brings it up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah some quest-based packs don't give you the book and expect players to know you have to press tilde to bring up the questbook interface. Better Questing sure hasn't made things more convenient.

I got pretty far into RotP, just started making not-MFR machines. I'm a bit put off by them (and mekanism machines) requiring 9 osmium and 9 steel each. Steel is basically just iron at this point, and osmium is fairly common, but it's still fairly expensive. Should I have some sort of effective passive oregen at this point? I can't imagine how, except maybe via Botania? The not-MFR laser drill is probably still too expensive at the moment.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

I haven't heard anything about lagginess, they just sorta sit there. And yes, yes it will.

They seem fine, got my stack under the important ones, now building up the stack under my general farm.

And enriched bone meal wont auto grow these.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

McFrugal posted:

Yeah some quest-based packs don't give you the book and expect players to know you have to press tilde to bring up the questbook interface. Better Questing sure hasn't made things more convenient.

I got pretty far into RotP, just started making not-MFR machines. I'm a bit put off by them (and mekanism machines) requiring 9 osmium and 9 steel each. Steel is basically just iron at this point, and osmium is fairly common, but it's still fairly expensive. Should I have some sort of effective passive oregen at this point? I can't imagine how, except maybe via Botania? The not-MFR laser drill is probably still too expensive at the moment.

To be fair, in ROTP's case, it tells you this on the pack's download page.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

McFrugal posted:

I just made a TiCon hammer that mines 5x3 and auto-drops lights. It's pretty easy to get a couple of stacks of osmium in a few minutes of mining, and once you have a pulveriser you can double it. Copper is actually more of an issue for me right now, guess I did too much of my mining at y=16.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

They seem fine, got my stack under the important ones, now building up the stack under my general farm.

And enriched bone meal wont auto grow these.

Enriched Bonemeal works for me on MSB2 on nether/awakened draconium seeds. Make sure mechanical user is on the setting that's like "Use Item On Block."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I've gotten bored of the Technic 1.7.10 pack. Any suggestions for another one to try? I want one that has good quests and good automation options; it doesn't have to be tech-based, but the main reason I don't like Botania is having to run around and manually click everything to harvest crops, keep my mana generators fed, and so on. I also have an aversion to skyblock maps, mainly because I have a fear of falling, but as long as cheats aren't locked I can cheat in some extra floor. Again, though, I want to be able to get things automated fairly quickly.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Botania is pretty much all about automating poo poo, so yeah, you missed the point on that mod, big time.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Botania is pretty much all about automating poo poo, so yeah, you missed the point on that mod, big time.

Care to point me in the right direction to learn how to automate poo poo in Botania? All of the generating flowers, for instance, seemed to need me to feed them by hand in some way or other.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FredMSloniker posted:

Care to point me in the right direction to learn how to automate poo poo in Botania? All of the generating flowers, for instance, seemed to need me to feed them by hand in some way or other.

https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Open_Crate

Open crate drops items, for example. You can find youtube videos that use lots of these sorts of things. I recall one that automates cake crafting, shows things like using mana pulses to break sugar cane, and whatnot.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Use a dropper or open chest, combined with a hopper and a pressure plate, to feed mana generating flowers

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Clearly I need to sit down with Botania and read up on it. That said, any suggestions for a mod meeting my requirements (good automation and good quests)?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Without having any idea of your experience level, Ender IO, Thermal Expansion, and Immersive Engineering are three tech mods with tons of pretty simple automation tools with very thorough in game explanations for stuff. Mekanism to a lesser extent, but that one might be more complicated than you'd want right out the gate. Ender IO was basically my intro to modded MC and it was very simple to figure out the basics of.

Factory Tech I hear is the new hotness for 1.12 that completely scraps a lot of aspects of the popular tech mods that we've come to take for granted and does its own thing. It was made by a Factorio fan and basically tries to reinterpret a number of that game's core mechanics for Minecraft. Parts that wear out and have to be replaced (which you can automate, something that leads into a lot of the mod's depth), components that work together fairly intuitively, and notably doesn't run on any kind of power. The connections between its various machines are complicated enough without having to worry about power.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
TerraFirmaCraft update:

I have a bed.

(And a pretty snazzy brick-and-glass house)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Er, I misspoke. I was looking for a modpack, not just a mod. Something with quests, because I like reaching for a goal rather than just creating to create.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

botania is set up to allow for pretty much any automation you would want. it might not be the most efficient or fastest way to do it, but it's possible.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Main hurdle I had to get over when learning to automate Botania is finally sitting down to learn how redstone mechanics work.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

FredMSloniker posted:

Er, I misspoke. I was looking for a modpack, not just a mod. Something with quests, because I like reaching for a goal rather than just creating to create.

I have been really digging Homestead as of late: https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/Homestead

TL;DR is a survival-focused sandbox that strikes the right balance of sperg (torches that you have to relight, for example) and fun gameplay (not mashing your dick with a hammer). 1.10.2, alas, but it is really elegantly designed to let you do poo poo at your own pace without the goal of automating automation for its own sake.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, remember Forever Stranded? There's a new version just released: Forever Stranded Lost Souls. Instead of being in a desert and dealing with temperature, the whole thing takes place in the nether.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hello modded thread

I know this thread is mostly SP these days, but I want to let people know I'm hosting a small Dark Grid server, skyblocks with a twist. It's really cool concept and not enough people have played it (probably because it has a lot of unneeded crap in it). I created a slightly stripped down version that removed bloaty mods that weren't required (decocraft) and a few others that were totally redundant (there were 3 separate mods that added only backpacks, and 4 that added only chests, and 3 barrel mods), but you can still connect with base modpack just fine because I didn't add any additional mods. If you want the stripped one for faster load times and better performance I will post the override folder (you'll have to create a new profile and click import in the twitch launcher).

Pack: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/dark-grid

My minified version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w9hnedcbtfahcq/Dark%20Grid%20Minified-1.0.9.zip?dl=0

Server IP: 136.33.144.178

Also, this is just a prelude to more server stuff I plan to do very soon, for those that are interested. Progress is coming back. (Soon™)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

I have been really digging Homestead as of late: https://www.atlauncher.com/pack/Homestead

1.10.2, alas

What's so bad about that? Just that not a lot of other mods are using that version, or...?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey, remember Forever Stranded? There's a new version just released: Forever Stranded Lost Souls. Instead of being in a desert and dealing with temperature, the whole thing takes place in the nether.

Oh hey someone finally did that. I was thinking about throwing something together myself with Natura and a few other mods. Natura alone allows you to progress through most of the vanilla tech tree purely on nether materials!*

*you need nether ores for this

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 22, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FredMSloniker posted:

What's so bad about that? Just that not a lot of other mods are using that version, or...?

It's more that everyone's moved onto 1.12 and 1.10 versions of mods generally aren't getting updated anymore.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I've gotten bored of the Technic 1.7.10 pack. Any suggestions for another one to try?

There's a bunch of ye-olde modpacks that are still good. YogBox, Blightfall, Roots (by Shukaro) if it still works, Sky den (any of them), and many others.

Edit: it seems Shukaro's modpacks are dead, as well as his Technic user-profile.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 22, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

:sigh: Infernal Mobs. Right off the bat, with the thief power. Not sure how I feel about that leveling system mod either. Need a higher Building skill to place a non-Immersive Chest, which is probably the worst storage option I've ever seen.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

My Girlfriend's Account posted:

Enriched Bonemeal works for me on MSB2 on nether/awakened draconium seeds. Make sure mechanical user is on the setting that's like "Use Item On Block."

No go for me, Doing it by hand to check and it doesnt work on the top tier ones :/ ( i will move a MM over and see if it works. I may even remove the crux/block underneath to see if that works)

EDIT"-- nope, wont be using the mechanical user on it. causes my game to crash. have to load up mcedit to remove it.

Now, im almost halfway through DE, but i see the other side is the uber crafting things.

What do i need to mass produce?

For example, it looks like i need to set up maybe another 1 or 2 top tier void miners.

Then i need banks of pulverisers to get coal. This coal then funds the creation of dark matter in multiple ways.

What else should i be setting up?

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 22, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ImpactVector posted:

Main hurdle I had to get over when learning to automate Botania is finally sitting down to learn how redstone mechanics work.

heh

Hi, I'm from the past and started playing minecraft way the gently caress back, comparators are still a new thing to me. Ask me how I made a piston tape to time the dropping of coal blocks for a patch of endoflames, only to later figure out there's comparators now and they work on hoppers for super easy and precise timer options

the real solution is just using the hourglass from botania

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Endoflames are easy.

Perfectly metes out fuel to as many endoflames as you can crowd around the pressure plate.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Coal blocks are a bit more efficient than 9 coal, but also take too long to cycle in endoflames, so you lose one every now and then due to despawn timer.

it's not a big deal, I just like making things more complicated than they need to be

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Truga posted:

Coal blocks are a bit more efficient than 9 coal, but also take too long to cycle in endoflames, so you lose one every now and then due to despawn timer.

it's not a big deal, I just like making things more complicated than they need to be

Yeah. You can solve the despawn issue by using a hovering hourglass to pulse a hopperhock every 4 minutes or so to suck up the coal blocks, as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Black Pants posted:

:sigh: Infernal Mobs. Right off the bat, with the thief power. Not sure how I feel about that leveling system mod either. Need a higher Building skill to place a non-Immersive Chest, which is probably the worst storage option I've ever seen.
Yeah, I'm not liking that skill mod. It's pretty much a "difficulty for difficulty's sake" deal.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Endoflames are easy.

Perfectly metes out fuel to as many endoflames as you can crowd around the pressure plate.
Don't mind this, I'm just quoting it for later reference (I still don't know how to automate anything in Botania).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you put a dropper - with a redstone torch underneath it - pointing upwards underneath a pressure pad it will pop out the item on top of it and shut itself back off automatically as things are gobbled up. Perfect for as many endoflames as you could want.

E: Went and dug out my old design. It's a redstone clock underneath. Fed by charcoal being pumped in from a tree farm.

And the full setup.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 22, 2018