Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Dogeh posted:

If you want em, I have 8 right now.
Will prolly get more today.

I would be very glad to take those off your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Running passengers from the burning stations can get you more modular terminals than you could ever need. As well as a bunch of other rare materials. It's to the point of just jettisoning the drat things at the rescue ship.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Running passengers from the burning stations can get you more modular terminals than you could ever need. As well as a bunch of other rare materials. It's to the point of just jettisoning the drat things at the rescue ship.

I've been running those but RNJesus hasn't been on my side apparently.

Edit:Welp, turns out I'm an idiot babby commander that didn't know that modular terminals were commodities and not materials. I was filtering out anything that didn't give out a material reward so I never saw all the people eagerly trying to give me MTs.....derp.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 22, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The binary planets are moving fast enough that you can see them moving on screen.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
A bit late, but thanks to the goon who recommended Emancipator way back in the thread. That's some good Eliting music. And otherwise as well.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

iospace posted:

The binary planets are moving fast enough that you can see them moving on screen.

Which system is that? I'm wondering if it's one from real life.

On that note, is there a list of real astronomical objects represented in game?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That list would be ridiculous, they basically included as much accurate stellar observation data as possible so pretty much everything discovered by astronomy to probably the Trappist system recently.
NASAs website would be a good place to start.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

You can tell a lot of the real ones from the names. Things like Wolf, HIP etc are all names that come from catalogues of stars. A lot of the more floofy named ones are real star systems that got renamed by Frontier. You can also check in the system map for the HIP references on real systems. There are thousands though. Most (if not all) of the nebula are based on real ones too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You can also tell which systems are based on observed stars by their names; stars with a catalog prefix are all based on known positions. Though it's worth pointing out that many of the orbiting bodies inside of those systems are derived from the engine based on some fun maths and not actual observed data.

The engine they used for generating the galaxy is probably the best part of the game in the end.

^ :argh:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 22, 2018

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If it has some of the following letters in the name it's probably based on a real star at the very least (if not the known orbiting bodies).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_astronomical_catalogues

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Kinda blows the mind that we could name a star in the Milky Way after every human who has ever lived, and still have billions of spares.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you're near Sol, head for Medusa's Rock:

Medusa's Rock was cool, first asteroid base I've encountered so far. 130 jumps took a while, but wasn't quite as bad as I was fearing. Now the long trek back to Maia!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Palin is definitely the most annoying engineer to unlock. But DD 5 is so worth it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have nearly all the requirements for Palin (just not the mats he wants), but I haven't unlocked Qwent.

:effort:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gort posted:

Kinda blows the mind that we could name a star in the Milky Way after every human who has ever lived, and still have billions of spares.

I am going to launch a mountain dew in a torpedo towards the xxx420WeedLordGoku420xxx star.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You can tell a lot of the real ones from the names. Things like Wolf, HIP etc are all names that come from catalogues of stars. A lot of the more floofy named ones are real star systems that got renamed by Frontier. You can also check in the system map for the HIP references on real systems. There are thousands though. Most (if not all) of the nebula are based on real ones too.

A better question might have been 'which catalogues did they use when building the milkyway'. Just doing that would be a pretty enormous job - do they have astronomers on their staff?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

gender illusionist posted:

A better question might have been 'which catalogues did they use when building the milkyway'. Just doing that would be a pretty enormous job - do they have astronomers on their staff?

I think a lot of the main team are at least amateur astronomers and I'm pretty sure they had consults in. Finding actual information on this stuff from Frontier is a loving nightmare though. There is probably something on a reddit somewhere that has actual details on the process but I haven't found it.

just found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrw5lydNKc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

gender illusionist posted:

Those catalogs are probably available in machine-readable form so it wouldn't be that hard to rig the Stellar Forge to ingest it somehow to guide its generation. Then they'd only have to handcraft the small subset of systems that need something unique and specific like Sol or Trappist-1.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
More like Marco oval office

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It's worth noting, though, that even if the name is from a real star, the actual system may only be very vaguely related to what the catalog says about that system.

As an (admittedly extreme) example, there's a pretty significant difference in what the game says HIP 63835 contains, and what's in the catalogues.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So a lot of the stars are accurate, but what is within the systems planet-wise may not be?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, we've only started finding the first exoplanets IRL, the planets in most all systems are wild guesses by the game's procedural generator. afaik, the pg is based off of known real life data, so most things it generates aren't too silly.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The amount of known exoplanets is in the thousands against the tens of millions of cataloged stars.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Blind Rasputin posted:

So a lot of the stars are accurate, but what is within the systems planet-wise may not be?

I mean, IRL we've only mapped ~4,000 extrasolar planets in ~3,000 systems. Trying to be realistic by only including confirmed exoplanets would achieve the opposite result of creating a very empty, unrealistic in-game universe.

ef;b

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I remember Braben saying one of the most surprising things that happened was the large amount of binary planets.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

iospace posted:

I remember Braben saying one of the most surprising things that happened was the large amount of binary planets.

When Frontier came round the thinking was that these would be extremely rare or impossible.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Made some progress this weekend and started engineering things. Went to Maia (awesome black hole btw) as well (to get meta-alloys for Ms Farseer), did some exploring, did some trading...

I think I'm gonna start doing combat things and it looks like a Fer de Lance is the way to go. So that will be my next purchase.

Some pretties:

That last one is Obsidian Orbital, recently attacked by the Thargoids.

Here is a video of the Maia black hole. I kind of crashed into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8lDE92jZ7E&t=263s

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you're just starting to get into combat the Vulture is by far the best one to learn in. Give its power plant a small overcharge and some dirty drives and it becomes massively fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I got a Fer-De-Lance with five fixed efficient Plasma Accelerators. I mostly miss because I'm terrible, but when I hit it's glorious.

I got the Plasma Slug upgrade on all of them so they use fuel for ammunition. I'm not actually sure you get more ammunition that way though - probably because the Fer De Lance has a tiny fuel tank.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been having quite a bit of fun in the iCourier for this CG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxSNFJYRu8

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rynoto posted:

If you're just starting to get into combat the Vulture is by far the best one to learn in. Give its power plant a small overcharge and some dirty drives and it becomes massively fun.

I have an Eagle that I have fun in so I'm only mostly-harmless. I just want something capable that I don't need a lot of skill to combat NPCs and collect bounties.

e: ooh the Vulture has two LARGES?

...I might try a Vulture. I mean, it's cheap enough that I wouldn't really miss the money. Best weapon loadout?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 22, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
If you're going for low effort npc killing then a simple Conda turret boat will do wonders. Vulture is basically the babby version of the FDL and both require at least a bit more concentration to effectively fly.

Suggesting vulture just because it's small, incredibly agile and very hard hitting. Can learn everything you need about using fixed weapons in it and the fun of flying without flight assist.

E: Weapons are whatever you fancy. I'm a stickler for matching weapons personally but mixing and matching is perfectly fine. Your biggest worry with the vulture will always be its small power plant though. Is why the suggestion to stick a G1-3 overcharge on.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rynoto posted:

If you're going for low effort npc killing then a simple Conda turret boat will do wonders. Vulture is basically the babby version of the FDL and both require at least a bit more concentration to effectively fly.

Suggesting vulture just because it's small, incredibly agile and very hard hitting. Can learn everything you need about using fixed weapons in it and the fun of flying without flight assist.

E: Weapons are whatever you fancy. I'm a stickler for matching weapons personally but mixing and matching is perfectly fine. Your biggest worry with the vulture will always be its small power plant though. Is why the suggestion to stick a G1-3 overcharge on.

Yeah I don't have the money for a Conda yet. I do have the money for a Python or an FDL though. Plus insurance, plus not much upgrades for now.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The bigger ships will easily set you back double to triple their hull cost when fully rigged out for anything more than trading or data running.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rynoto posted:

The bigger ships will easily set you back double to triple their cost when fully rigged out for anything more than trading or data running.

So I guess what would be better: an A-rated Vulture or a B- or C-rated FDL or Python? Assuming no engineering.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For pure combat? A good vulture will crush the larger ships if they don't know what they're doing.

Python really doesn't fit in here as it's a general purpose boat. It's good for running missions and is perfectly fine with some gimballed weapons but isn't built for pure combattery.

E: Here you go, give this simple fit a try: Here
You'll just need to go collect enough common sulfur to reroll G1 overcharge until you hit a 12%.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 22, 2018

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I put four fixed rail guns on my federal gunship this weekend and my god is that fun to fly. Let the fighter pop a target’s shields, punch a hole clean through them. It is hilariously rewarding.

Incidentally about the black hole in Maia, my kids love this game and I used that and a piece of paper and some colored pencils to teach them about gravitational lensing of light. They liked that. Also, giving my 7 year her own personal viper to fly around a station is real fun until my son runs over and pushes the trigger down. I finally got wise and disabled the weapons to make it kid-friendly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

osirisisdead posted:

I've been having quite a bit of fun in the iCourier for this CG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxSNFJYRu8

I've used the chance to take out a Viper, since I never had the chance to use it myself on my main account, due to spending all my earlier game time either exploring or grinding money for exploration ships, so I mostly missed out on fighting.

And welp, I'm still as poo poo as I was back then. Of course it didn't help that I did my slaver-hunting in regions where there were at least 10 tricked-out security ships for every lonely slaver. Most of the time I was out hunting I spend opening and closing my hardpoints, since the wanted ships were dying so goddamn fast. :shepface:

Still, I learned some thing again, like loving not to shoot tons of missiles into a ship still protected by a shield

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I almost forgot:

For the first time in ages, I went back to my main account to get a bit closer to the galactic core.

I'd like to show you how far from my starting point I've been, but ha ha, this display has been broken for me since :frontear: implemented it. 2-3 bug reports filed over the last years, zero change. (I assure you, I haven't been traveling beyond Beagle Point, not even close)

My commander, Lothal Vanderheim. One day I should write down why and how he got that nasty scar

Last year I reached Colonia and put some nice silver paint on my Imperial Cutter. As you can see, that paintjob didn't take.

Funny story: Some months ago, my old joystick started to break and I bought a new one. Then I had to rebind all my keys to make use of the higher number of buttons. One dumb thing I did was rebinding (K)amera to (K)ooling. Cue me firing off all my heat sinks into space the first time I started playing again.

Now K is the camera suit again, like it should. Too late though for my poor heat sinks! I guess I just have to trust my AFMs to repair any heat damage I collect on the rest of my journey!

Truth be told, I didn't get very far in my first main session in ages, because as always when I just want to get somewhere, the game starts throwing high-value targets like this earth-like after me.

Also for some reason between my last few sessions I somehow managed to Neutron-jump my way off the main Neutron highway into a completely untouched, but also Neutron-free part of the core region. Welp, I guess I can at least collect lots of naming dibs this way. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I hopped into the game on a whim. Trying desperately to convince myself that Engineering isn't a horrifically obvious and absolutely mandatory "fun tax". Went into a RES with my Anaconda. Nearly lost the ship twice because loving everything worth shooting (i.e., targets with 100k+ bounties) would shrug off any damage I did while instantly making GBS threads all over me.

So I guess my options are to slum it on 2k bounties forever, or go shoot space rocks for 500 billion hours for the possible almost-sort-kinda-but-not-really chance at then being able to do something entertaining in the game. Am I missing something? I'm certainly rusty as far as shooting goes, but what is it that I'm missing about Engineering? Why the hell is this so loving terrible? Why are they forcing me to run around on a buggy shooting rocks for the vague promise that it might allow me to get to a point where, prior to the Engineers update, I could shoot things as much as I wanted? Is there some obvious thing that I'm missing that makes gathering these space-boar assholes for the magical engineer fairies less about shooting rocks and more about not wanting to scoop your loving eyes out of your skull with a rusty spoon and eat them?

• Locked thread