Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

General Revil posted:

I fell behind on watching the videos, and I saw that you started a new LP, so I was worried that you'd finished the game. Good to know it's just on a short break.

Olive Branch is back from his vacation, but it's caused our schedules to misalign a bit and we're having a bit of trouble coordinating our times so that we can get back to recording. We're going to try to do another session tonight, but, we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

:siren:Update:siren:

Episode 21: Just Two Guys

Sorry about that.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 25, 2018

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't think monetizing your channel would be worth it. You won't be making that much and who knows how much promoting you'll actually get. YouTube is far more interested in promoting personalities with large followings that make a jump cut every second in their videos and TV shows that post clips than somebody with 1,000 subscribers.

Edit: Also, I think YouTube is completely pulling out of monetizing small channels. I saw something about how they now want a certain amount of views per month in order to keep the deal going. But don't quote me on that.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 21, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Think you forgot about the Power Bomb breaking their armor.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

MonsterEnvy posted:

Think you forgot about the Power Bomb breaking their armor.

No, they were specifically trying to fight without doing that. Because it's more fun to do it that way than to just deny half the fight.

I think the biggest problem with the Power Bomb jumping is that there's never been any indication that the Power Bomb had any physical explosion element. It's always been this terrifying energy wave of death, but even in M:SR it doesn't push you unless you're doing this specific thing with the Spider Ball. They should have reworked it a little to push you around whenever you're near to an exploding Power Bomb, not just the successful Spider Ball combo thing; that way it would have made sense to see what happens when you try jumping with it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It sorta looks like they wanted to recreate the Spider Ball/Boost Ball combo in Prime 2 and 3, but it's not clear that you can do this at all.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

I don't think monetizing your channel would be worth it. You won't be making that much and who knows how much promoting you'll actually get. YouTube is far more interested in promoting personalities with large followings that make a jump cut every second in their videos and TV shows that post clips than somebody with 1,000 subscribers.

Edit: Also, I think YouTube is completely pulling out of monetizing small channels. I saw something about how they now want a certain amount of views per month in order to keep the deal going. But don't quote me on that.

According to a comment on the video, and this, I require 1,000 subs (which I have), and a minimum of 4,000 hours watched over the past twelve months (which I'll probably never not have. Specifically, I have 25,192 hours watched in the last year, 92% of which thanks to this video). Honestly, I'm tempted to do it just to troll their algorithms, haha.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 22, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

WFGuy posted:

No, they were specifically trying to fight without doing that. Because it's more fun to do it that way than to just deny half the fight.

But it's not denying half the fight it's making it slightly easier.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go for the monetization if you feel like it. Why not? I've got ad block, so it makes no difference to me.

As for the game, this is much more expensive than the Omega zone from the original, or from AM2R. It's clear that this is some kind of ruined laboratory.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

WFGuy posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

But it's not denying half the fight it's making it slightly easier.

I feel like none of this matters when the fight is already being dragged out by refusing to use missiles outside of counter scenes. I don't think you're actually expected to be challenged by the fight outside of the first time you encounter the pattern(s), and using the weak uncharged ice beam and no missiles is creating artificial difficulty.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This conversation reminds me of this...

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 22: Do It Again

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

ALTTP Rando is quite entertaining to watch. There always seems to be some new and exciting way for people to get screwed over, whether it be execution, routing choices, hubris, or a required Book on pedestal :v:

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
The Metroid Prime 3 speedrun at AGDQ was pretty interesting this year (and came right after a fascinating Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones speedrun that abused that game's gameable RNG). I'm admittedly going to watch just about any Metroid speedrun, since my first real Internet community experience was Samus.co.uk and M2k2, but they're pretty universally great. (My only achievement personally was to find a useless early missile expansion in MP1.)

Most of the time a speed-runner will, quite reasonably, choose whether they want to speed-run a game based on whether they enjoy the game, whether its gameplay strikes a chord with them, whether they see that there are some fun flaws in it they could use to go fast, and probably whether there's an existing community building around the game that they gel with. You're not going to spend hundreds or thousands of attempts on a game unless you enjoy it.

Also, Super Metroid races cannot be denied.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LttP rando is almost always run as a race, my only criticism of the AGDQ one is that the commentators were used to commentating races where all the viewers were familiar with it. It could have done with a bit more explaining for the layperson, though some of that was "they said it once at the start of the race, if you tune in later you'll have missed it." Also I'm personally not a fan of swordless runs, I think they put more of a disconnect into the game for a new viewer, but donation incentives and all that. Other than those, the main downside to the races is that even in a close one it can wind up as "this guy went left, this guy went right, so one of them finds the key" and while that's part of the fun of actually playing it can kill the enthusiasm.

Another reason the AGDQ run was great is because there's a frame-perfect hovering trick that one of the runners is absurdly good at pulling off, and he shows off a bunch during the run. They actually had a gentleman's agreement to get the hookshot, which is not mandatory if you can hover that well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's an interesting study - as you get more and more powerups, how many of them should the navigation puzzles incorporate? Too many and it just gets too complicated, too few and it feels like you aren't using powerups anymore,

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 23: Come To The Conclusion

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In addition to a mentality that came from arcades, and video games being MUCH more expensive (I think it's something like double the standard $60 cost in today money) back then so they wanted to drag things out, there's also the factor of game design. Some of the difficulty was just because people hadn't learned how to do anything else, and the players and designers hadn't learned how to speak the same language. It's very easy to make a hard game.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 7, 2018

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad you went back and recorded rolling into the Queen Metroid's belly. When you see a one block tall opening, you know you have to roll in and check it out. Unfortunately, it wasn't all that spectacular of a finisher.

Also, I'm not sure if you intended it, but the video is unlisted.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Hiding under the Queen's chin is actually a good way to avoid most of her attacks. You just have to have the awareness to notice when to move for when it isn't safe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would go and get the credits first before backtracking for everything.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
The Queen's tricky, but again it's kind of okay here. She is the final boss, after all, and it makes sense that she incorporates just about everything you've learned through the game.

I definitely wish she let you play around with Aeion more though. You can only really use it a tiny bit in a fight that goes on for quite a while.

Also if it can breed through some sorta hosed up mitosis then it probably doesn't have a sex at that point, so the baby needs a neutral name. Like 'Ashley', or 'Green the Indomitable, Destroyer of Worlds, Hater of Ice Cream'.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WFGuy posted:

Also if it can breed through some sorta hosed up mitosis then it probably doesn't have a sex at that point, so the baby needs a neutral name. Like 'Ashley', or 'Green the Indomitable, Destroyer of Worlds, Hater of Ice Cream'.

My guess is that they reproduce through parthenogenesis. Borrowing from bees, it's possible that haploid metroids are the ones we always see, and diploid metroids are the only ones with the potential to become queens. Although, it could be a case of half-clones vs. full-clones, and only the full clones have the queen potential.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

WFGuy posted:

The Queen's tricky, but again it's kind of okay here. She is the final boss, after all, and it makes sense that she incorporates just about everything you've learned through the game.

I definitely wish she let you play around with Aeion more though. You can only really use it a tiny bit in a fight that goes on for quite a while.

You take that back! Ashley loves ice cream.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked the cinematic nature of going in for those special kills, that was nice.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I think I enjoyed the "chase sequence" of AM2R moreso than this boss battle. The patterns just felt a little boring, since it was "ok figure out where the safe zone is, move there, fire missiles into mouth when able to do so". I guess I was hoping for something a bit more dynamic?

I never got the counter though, so completely missed out on the power bomb burst. How much damage does that do to the queen?

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

RedMagus posted:

I think I enjoyed the "chase sequence" of AM2R moreso than this boss battle. The patterns just felt a little boring, since it was "ok figure out where the safe zone is, move there, fire missiles into mouth when able to do so". I guess I was hoping for something a bit more dynamic?

I never got the counter though, so completely missed out on the power bomb burst. How much damage does that do to the queen?

It does a whole LOT of damage to the Queen, missing the chance for the counter loses quite a bit of time on a speed run.

Also I dunno, the chase feeling in AM2R felt a bit much for me. Its version of the Power Bomb finish looked better, but otherwise the fight was mechanically handled far better in SR for my money. If there's one positive I love about SR, it's that it brings otherwise exploratory items like the Spider Ball and Grapple Beam into some combat utility, and the Queen Metroid brings out the best in both which is great.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

One thing I like about both SR and AM2R is that they changed the purpose of the Ice Beam for a 2D Metroid game.

I'm late to the AGDQ 2018 discussion, but if the goldmined livethread from Games is any indication, the Metroid Prime 3 run was one of the worst ones. It went over the target time by 40 minutes.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The main problem was that there was one major skip that they just kept screwing up since while it saves time even with multiple screwups, it hasn't been made marathon safe.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 24: A Bunch Of Garbage

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I think the style of gameplay is really what makes, or in the case of this game, breaks it. Aion abilities seem stapled onto the game, and you could go pretty much the entire run without ever using them. Except when you came across certain enemies, which really irked me. If other M was a 5 for game-play, I'd prob give this a 6 or 7. Which is kinda sad considering how hyped I was for it, but that may also be a contributing factor to my "low score" of it.

Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts and comments though, especially once we finish cleaning up and 100%-ing the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I would give the game an 8. I quite enjoyed it and felt it was a good return to form for Metroid and I enjoyed it more then AM2R.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I don't think I enjoyed it more than AM2R but I think it's a very competent game and I think its mere existence is honestly more important than anything else about it. It's a completely workable 2D metroid game after like 13 years of having none of those. I didn't do much of anything new or terribly exciting, but it's Metroid, it's fun, and it's a game that came out. That's much more than I thought I could ask for before e3 last year. Now if they do another game with the same team, that's when I'd expect the new and exciting part to come in.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Between having played AM2R, but only watched this, I liked AM2R more. I really agree with Maple Leaf's comment about the combat coming to a halt with the free aiming. Same thing with the counter in the early game.

I'm pretty sure it would bug me to no end if I played it, because I'm the kind of person that needs to kill everything in a Metroid game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

From a gameplay perspective, SR pulls its punches quite a bit more than AM2R. From an atmosphere perspective, I get more of a Metroid-y vibe from SR because of its music, graphics, and gameplay environment. This game's SR-388 feels more like a world abandoned by the Chozo than AM2R's, and that has a lot to do with its better hardware. Metroid Prime 1 is my favorite in the series because it does both of these extremely well.

If they improved the control scheme and got rid of Sakamoto's stupid gameplay ideas from Other M, I could see a "2D Metroid in a 3D environment" game work out well. There's a kernel of a good idea in it, but it was ruined by his meddling.

Again, I question how much creative input Sakamoto had for SR. Producers typically have little involvement with that process. If he did have a say, Nintendo put him on a very short leash, and I can't blame them.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

For me, the new ideas that SR brings to the table are incredibly interesting and even if they're a bit clunky in implementation for the first go, I'm glad they tried it at all to try and freshen up the series. Particularly, I loved the fact that they gave power ups that would normally be obsoleted by later ones, like the Spider Ball and Grapple Beam, utility that keeps them relevant.

As for SR vs AM2R, I far and away prefer SR. AM2R is a game where the more I play it, the less I like it, to the point where I only like it more than Other M, the original Metroid 1 and 2, and below everything else. I honestly can't articulate why very well, but it just doesn't feel like it's anything special once you get past the fact it's a fangame for me personally.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So there must be a super secret optional/"gotcha!" boss/area, right? Because why would so many combat upgrades be gated behind killing what is supposedly the final boss?

I agree that the stand-still-and-aim mechanic definitely cuts the flow of hte game a bit, and necessitates a somewhat limited enemy variety. It goes hand in hand with the counter mechanic as well, which is also seems most effective when you are standing still and waiting for something to come to you. Swing, batter batter batter, swing...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 18, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Crazy Achmed posted:

So there must be a super secret optional/"gotcha!" boss/area, right? Because why would so many combat upgrades be gated behind killing what is supposedly the final boss?

I agree that the stand-still-and-aim mechanic definitely cuts the flow of hte game a bit, and necessitates a somewhat limited enemy variety. It goes hand in hand with the counter mechanic as well, which is also seems most effective when you are standing still and waiting for something to come to you. Swing, batter batter batter, swing...

Most of them can actually be gotten with power bombs or earlier upgrades. The crystal accessways are just easier/more obvious. I think there's only two that actually need the baby.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Yep, many of these reveal their secrets to Power Bombs (or even regular bombs sometimes, if you're more observant than me). I think there's roughly 3-5 missile expansions which can only be accessed with the baby Metroid, but that's about it, and those missiles are basically only there to force you to backtrack if you want 100% collection (which you do want). You certainly aren't going to need to use two hundred regular missiles to take down the Queen, if you managed to pass the Diggernaut skill gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I really liked SR. The music was on point, the atmosphere was very nice, there were a lot of callbacks to other Metroid games (the marines, the space pirate fighters). The levels and music takes a lot of cues from Metroid Prime and that's good because Prime was loving boss. The gameplay was really different from the usual jump n' shoot but it was pretty nice once I got used to it; you jumped and moved to dodge and planted yourself to xenocide and the game did a pretty good job of making me alternate between offensive and defensive. The aiming was a bit hampered by the 3DS' small thumbstick and the counter mechanic was lame but I can see why it's in the game. It breaks up the ebb and flow of combat and adds a skillmaster option, so I hope they iterate on that in the next Metroid game. Between the jump/shoot alternating and the counter, all the fights felt very busy and technical, especially with the Zetas and Omegas in the lategame. There's also a really nice feeling of progression resulting from repeated exposure to the bosses; like your first Beta is a bit rough but your third Omega is old hat. I really loved how they give you the powerful exploration powerups like spiderball and grapple beam early in the game, that allowed them to get pretty technical with the puzzles. The powerbomb-jump was The Best poo poo.

I'd give it an 8/10, best Metroid we've had in years.

• Locked thread