Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

They should just fold MASK into GI Joe anyway. The bad guys were VENOM, for crying out loud. Make MASK some unit of GI Joe and VENOM a unit of Cobra.

Considering that they've established in the Transformers movies that the humans are already reverse-engineering the Transformers technology, a MASK movie would work as a bridge between the two franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Young Freud posted:

Considering that they've established in the Transformers movies that the humans are already reverse-engineering the Transformers technology, a MASK movie would work as a bridge between the two franchises.

I think Hasbro did merge GI Joe and MASK too. There were GI Joe toys featuring MASK characters and vehicles.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I feel that with Valerian, everyone knew they were making a movie that was a little ambitious and outside the comfort zone for most audiences, but had high hopes it would stick and become a blockbuster.

With The Mummy I think they came in with a solid, known property, the most well recognized actor in history and an audience that seems to love reboots and were just blindsided by absolutely how horrible it did.

The Mummy is last years bigger disaster.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen Valerian but my impression was that it was a movie people were disappointed had failed rather than a disaster on every level like The Mummy or King Arthur.

Valerian was good. The reason it flopped was because everyone agreed it was gonna suck before it came out for ??? reasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I am the ideal demo for Valerian (18-34, fan of the comic, fan of Luc Besson’s sci-fi films) and I couldn’t have cared less about what I was watching, aside from the admittedly excellent opening sequence. The film just kind of trudged along from plot point to plot point, hoping the visuals would keep you entertained enough that you wouldn’t notice the nonsensical script or the flat acting from both leads. Cara Delevingne was decent at best, but Dane DeHaan was truly awful and I do not understand the thought process behind his casting or how the film made it all the way to release without someone piping up and going “Uh, hey, maybe the audience shouldn’t hate the lead characters?”. It was a chore to watch and I was relieved when the film mercifully ended.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've had high hopes for Dane dehaan since chronicle but his performances in amazing Spiderman 2 and valerian were terrible

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The opening was the best part about Valerian.

Since it just ends up being Gov Bad War Bad cover-up bad the visuals help keep you engaged though.

Also some dumb "I am a SOLDIER I can't do this" stuff that is never an issue outside of 5 minutes of plottime

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Delevigne and DeHaan aren't hatable, they're playing characters who are insulated in a naive, erotic bubble that contrasts with a much franker understanding of what their job is, which is to be imperialist thugs. The film obviously takes cues from the Valerian comics, Barbarella, and that whole subgenre of French fantasy-comedy/erotic serials; but tonally it's a lot more similar to Starship Troopers. The plot makes perfect sense, and, if anything, is brutally straightforward and simplistic, but therein lies the satire. You get stuff like a scene of Delevigne holding aloft this lizard-gerbil like it's this beautiful, transcendent fetish, but then it's literally just diarrhea-making GBS threads pearls all over the place. Later on, despite working to make reparations for a genocide, Valerian has a moment where he casually admits that he could sympathize with someone who takes the security of the Federation over justice for the oppressed. It's like what Vincent Canby said about Shaft, which is to say that Besson makes political overtones, but really this is just straightforwardly the story of a jaded power-couple trying to spice up their sex lives.

Aside from Starship Troopers, Valerian and Laureline's relationship is overtly similar to the protagonists of another episodic, satiric, dystopian future film: Death Race 2000.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite not being advertised as such it turns out the Netflix animated Godzilla movie is just the first part.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

So despite not being advertised as such it turns out the Netflix animated Godzilla movie is just the first part.

They announced awhile ago it was a trilogy and when you go to watch it Netflix calls it Part 1.

Fingers crossed the other two aren't as bad.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't seen Valerian but my impression was that it was a movie people were disappointed had failed rather than a disaster on every level like The Mummy or King Arthur.

Well, I was using the word "bomb" in the context of "movies that lost a lot of money." I don't know if Valerian is good, maybe it is, I didn't see it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Den of Thieves was awful. It was thoroughly mediocre throughout and then tried to pull a The Usual Suspects twist in the last 5 minutes. I wasn't expecting much, but was still disappointed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Valerian was good. The reason it flopped was because everyone agreed it was gonna suck before it came out for ??? reasons.

Counterpoint: I was sure it would be good, and I thought it was not.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

Unfortunately fat Muggle, the best character, won't be there. *sigh*

Whaaat. I thought all the core cast of the first one were coming back, and him and his love interest were the only part of that movie I really liked.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

davidspackage posted:

Whaaat. I thought all the core cast of the first one were coming back, and him and his love interest were the only part of that movie I really liked.

He's coming back. He's in the big cast photo they put out several months back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dexie posted:

He's coming back. He's in the big cast photo they put out several months back.

My interest has raised to the "I'll watch if my friends are going to" level.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m going to go out on a slight limb and say that JW2 and Solo will probably both underperform. Solo in particular is wedged between a lot of other movies that will be tough competition.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If they manage to put together a kick rear end trailer, Solo will be just fine. If they whiff on that, though, all bets are off.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've got a Superbowl commercial ready to go real soon that's just Ron Howard sitting in a chair saying they'll have a trailer for you real soon and it's gonna be great. Harrison Ford is there and says "I've seen a lot of it and it's great you're all really going to like it" and Ron Howard hands him a bag of money.

The official trailer will debut in front of Solo. They're going to attract people to see it who maybe aren't interested in Solo but really want to see the trailer for Solo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FCKGW posted:

With The Mummy I think they came in with a solid, known property, the most well recognized actor in history and an audience that seems to love reboots and were just blindsided by absolutely how horrible it did.

The Mummy is last years bigger disaster.

I'm pretty sure that Lionsgate were similarly blindsided by Power Rangers doing so badly. I was in a toy store last week and was surprised to find half an aisle stuffed with unsold tie-in toys, it looks like they shipped a LOT of merch which has been gathering dust for 10 months now.

Edit: I was so surprised I actually took some photos. Huh, turns out that no one wanted to buy an Interactive Alpha 5 for $45, who would have thought.

I'm guessing that we won't be seeing that six movie arc that Haim Saban was talking up before the movie premiered.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

There is a netflix horror film that just dropped called Open House that is making a lot of people on my timeline very mad at how bad it is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Power Rangers wasn't bad, but would have been better if they weren't ashamed they were making a power rangers movie.

Like maybe more people would buy action figures if they had actually fought a monster at some point, or spent more than a minute in the suits for an action sequence.

Maybe the morphers would have sold if the characters in the film actually had morphers and there was actually a morphing sequence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The main legacy of The Mummy.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This is so dumb, I love it. :allears:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Probably a wrinkle in Time. I think it looks cool personally, but based on a children's fiction book from close to two generations ago that the target audience has never heard of isn't a good formula.

Believe it or not I know several people in their mid 20s who have mentioned wanting to see that to me. With one friend, first time I basically pointed out what you did and the response was "I read it when I was a kid." So I guess it survived. Also, it has Oprah.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, my wife (who's 34) said she really wants to see it after the trailer was in front of Star Wars ... to which I said that's fine, but she can take our 14-year-old niece.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
My favorite thing about Valarian is Luc Besson tone-deafly assuring fans that due to how the financing is structured if it bombs his studio wouldn't personally lose money. And then being surprised later when it bombs and he can't find investors for his next project.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Hm, good to know. Maybe I'll wait until at least one more part is out.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Power Rangers wasn't bad, but would have been better if they weren't ashamed they were making a power rangers movie.

Like maybe more people would buy action figures if they had actually fought a monster at some point, or spent more than a minute in the suits for an action sequence.

Maybe the morphers would have sold if the characters in the film actually had morphers and there was actually a morphing sequence.

Might have done better if all the Power Rangers action wasn't all squished into the end of the movie. They first put on the suits and first use the Zords and first combine into Megazord all within the same battle. There's so much drat time spent on making them worthy and training. The movie is two hours. By contrast, I started watching the Netflix Voltron series last year and two hours could be the equivalent of the first six episodes, which features intros and backstory for all the team members, intros and training for their suits and weapons, time spent in their mechs, forming Voltron multiple times (and with early focus on them learning to be a team in order to form Voltron voluntarily) and multiple monsters tied to a bigger, central villain.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Let's see which films seem to have bombed the hardest in 2017! I'm just going to compare the production costs to the domestic box office because the studios only get a tiny chunk of the international box office. Also we can't really take into account the promotional costs (which are often as high as the production budget), or how much they made on merchandising or product placements or home media sales or stuff like that which they usually don't announce. We're pretty much just comparing how much money they pumped into the films versus how many people bothered to turn up to the cinemas to watch them.

Films which made the smallest percentage of their production costs:
The Promise. Budget = $90m, BO = $8.2m, difference = -90.89% (Starring Christian Bale and Oscar Isaac, opened on over 2,000 screens.)
Live By Night. Budget = $90m, BO = $10.4m, difference = -88.9%. (Starring Ben Affleck, limited opening in Dec 2016 but opened on over 2,800 screens in Jan 2017)
LBJ. Budget = $21m, BO = $2.5m, difference = -88.2%. (Starring Woody Harrelson, only opened on 659 screens)
Rock Dog. Budget = $60m, BO = $9.4m, difference = -84.3%. (Animated film)
The Snowman. Budget = $35m, BO = $6.7m, difference = -80.85%.
Colossal. Budget = $15m, BO = $3m, difference = -80%.
A Cure for Wellness. Budget = $40m, BO = $8.1m, difference = -79.75%
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. Budget = $175m, BO = $39m, difference = -77.6%
Suburbicon. Budget = $25m, BO = $5.8m, difference = -76.9%
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Budget = $177.2m, BO = $41.2m, difference = -75%
Monster Trucks. Budget = $125m, BO = $33.4m, difference = -73.4%
GeoStorm. Budget = $120m, BO = $33.7m, difference = -72.5%

Films which had the biggest differences between the production costs and their box office
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Budget = $177.2m, BO = $41.2m, loss = $136m
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. Budget = $175m, BO = $39.2m, loss = $135.8m
Monster Trucks. Budget = $125m, BO = $33.4m, loss = $91.6m
Transformers: The Last Knight. Budget = $217m, BO = $130m, loss = $87m
GeoStorm. Budget = $120m, BO = $33.7m, loss = $86.3m
Ghost in the Shell. Budget = $110m, BO = $40.6m, loss = $69.4m
Blade Runner 2049. Budget = $150m, BO = $92m, loss = $58m
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Budget = $230m, BO = $172.6m, loss = $57.4m

I'd say that Valerian and King Arthur were pretty much neck and neck for the 'Biggest fuckup of 2017' award if we're only looking at the numbers.
Edit: Valerian probably nudges slightly ahead because it was a French production and it's box office in France was even lower than its box office in the US.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 22, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow I totally forgot about live by night (a shame, the trailer looked cool) and that woody threw his hat in the LBJ game (I'm guessing he's one of the lesser portrayals esp compared to Cranston's)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don’t think I’ve even heard of The Promise, which is kind of strange considering who’s in it. That’s kind of disappointing that Colossal made so little, although $15 million is a pretty small budget these days. Oh well, at least we all got a good movie out of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised the budget for A Cure For Wellness was that low. It was an expensive looking movie.

Lobok posted:

Hm, good to know. Maybe I'll wait until at least one more part is out.

It ends on a cliffhanger, so unless you're really champing at the bit I would recommend waiting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dead Men Tell No Tales still made over 700 million worldwide though, which I understand doesn't mean they actually pocketed all of that but still that does drastically change the math.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wow I totally forgot about live by night (a shame, the trailer looked cool)
Looks like pretty much everyone forgot about it

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I don’t think I’ve even heard of The Promise, which is kind of strange considering who’s in it.
I guess the Armenian Genocide just isn't sexy enough for today's audiences. :v:
No but really, the producers said their main purpose behind making the film was to bring attention to the story so they weren't all that concerned about the money side of things,

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

That’s kind of disappointing that Colossal made so little, although $15 million is a pretty small budget these days. Oh well, at least we all got a good movie out of it.
Yeah I was a big fan of that film, I'm also disappointed it pretty much fell off the radar.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know you purposely excluded international box offices but at least Valerian did okay internationally, King Arthur tanked world wide.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Blade Runner doing badly is depressing but unfortunately not surprising at all. Hopefully it follows the same track as the original and home release helps recoup the cost.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rick posted:

I know you purposely excluded international box offices but at least Valerian did okay internationally, King Arthur tanked world wide.

Yeah that's a fair point. Also I actually enjoyed Valerian a heck of a lot more than King Arthur so I'm more than happy to let King Arthur take the "Biggest flop of 2017" crown. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh and Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is doing such good business that it's now Sony's biggest ever film outside of their Spider-Man and James Bond franchises. The 2009 film 2012 is still a tiny fraction ahead of it in worldwide numbers (that film didn't do too well domestically but it did crazy well overseas) but it'll overtake it momentarily.

So I guess that means we can expect a new Jumanji sequel/reboot/prequel/re-boot-quel every 2 years from now until the rest of time! :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
what about the biggest bomb of all the FAILING last jedi lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Last Jedi did so bad that including it on the list will cloud out all the other movies so it is best left off