Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Trigger's best previous anime
Kill La Kill
When Supernatural Battles become commenplace
Kiznaiver
Little Witch Academia
Gurren Lagann*
Panty and Stocking*
Space Patrol Luluculo
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

who are the 6 people who voted kiznaiver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Endorph posted:

kiznaiver is an example of a show that's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
other than the 2 eps about the girl and her dead gf it was aggressively mediocre but I kept watching it because I liked get really stoned and watching the OP so much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/kellyqute/status/955136332073910277

this show is feminist, actually

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

DarliFra is a loving terrible abbreviation

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

NotALizardman posted:

DarliFra is a loving terrible abbreviation

Came to post the exact same thing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

its the official abbreviation :twisted:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Trigger saved anime and women again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

its the official abbreviation :twisted:

I mean, because that's how they abbreviate titles in Japanese. It's a less useful convention to use in english.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Cronodoculous posted:

kiznaiver is an example of a show that's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice

an amazing job of being a bad, boring show
looked nice tho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

I mean, because that's how they abbreviate titles in Japanese. It's a less useful convention to use in english.

well it's still shorter and easier to type

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Then just call it FranXXX, or Darling in the SpanXX
Just because it's official doesn't mean it isn't bad
(That said "da-li fura" sounds like it could become darliflower (da-li furawa) which would be okay)

e:Wasn't the super battles become common thing a KyoAni project? Or ami i mixing it up with something else?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was not a kyoani project and it had nothing to do with kyoani and kyoani made no shows that were like it, the artstyle just vaguely resembled kyoani.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

Then just call it FranXXX, or Darling in the SpanXX
Just because it's official doesn't mean it isn't bad
(That said "da-li fura" sounds like it could become darliflower (da-li furawa) which would be okay)

e:Wasn't the super battles become common thing a KyoAni project? Or ami i mixing it up with something else?

No, that's Trigger. The most similar thing to that I can think of is Myriad Colors Phantom World

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Hiro has spent two episodes whining about how much he wants to pilot. He will never get to be the pilot. This show will be about him accepting that he is just a butt handle.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 22, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This is that boiled down Trigger Insanity I was hoping for. This is totally insane and I am 100% in.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
[staring into the middle distance, mildly disassociating] i'd let unit 002 use my butt handles

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
[completely lucid and very emphatically] i'd let unit 002 use my butt handles

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I cant wait for Hiros monologue about already knowing that he wasnt piloting the Strelitzia but he just didnt want to accept it. Begrudgingly assuming the position till 02 grabs him by the handles, then he reaizes that this was everything he always wanted from the start, he was just lying to himself.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I just dropped into this series fairly cold, and boy do i have a lot of unpack.

I also looked into the manga, Yakubi Kentaro can draw nice bodies but can’t make a visually distinct female character. 02 looked almost exactly like a ToLove-Ru character.

Protag looks like the most generic character A-1 is capable of making, but he’s growing on me.

Finally, the femdom anime we deserve.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

i'd let genista use my butt handles

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Given that the mechs are also women, it seems like a no-brainer to pair up the mechs in bigger mechs at some point

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This feels like a worse Aquarion.

I snorted when they revealed 703's name is Naomi and laughed out loud when she said she likes the name he thought up just for her.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which Aquarion because there's no universe where it's worse than the first or last one. So far anyway.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

actually i want to know who my soulmate is, the other inoubattle voter

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

Which Aquarion because there's no universe where it's worse than the first or last one. So far anyway.

I don't know that I'd call it better or worse than Genesis of Aquarion yet, but the first Aquarion is easily my favorite of the two Aquarions I have seen.The second has a really strong start, but within a handful of episodes the assertive female love interest is just becoming a useless mopey bundle of misery and the other two main characters are too boring and stupid to carry the show. The only reason to keep watching past those episodes is the secondary couple with frog girl and infiltrator guy, and that's killed at the half way point. The second half is boring tripe almost all the way through, and doesn't even have good action with the theme song cresting to the action and that's almost the defining moment of an Aquarion show. There's a couple of fun moments, but it isn't remotely worth the journey. Genesis doesn't have as high a high and isn't a great show, but it's nowhere near the same low either. Plus, Fudo Gen or whatever his name is is actually likable rather than a dick whose selfish actions basically caused all of the first two shows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can still remember the EVOL/LOVE bit and all I can remember about the first series is being intensely bored plus lovely mid 2000's cgi so I like Evol better.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

I can still remember the EVOL/LOVE bit and all I can remember about the first series is being intensely bored plus lovely mid 2000's cgi so I like Evol better.

I liked the main character of Genesis as just this wild and kind of stupid but ultimately well meaning dude. The show reinforced his wild upbringing regularly by having him walk around on all fours, sniffing stuff to find it or familiarize himself with it etc. He was unusual, but kind of fun. I remember silly lessons like "put your shoes on your hands to feel the Earth". I remember "combining addiction" i.e. sex/orgasm addiction, and silly combinations and attacks like the infinite punch. I remember comedy episodes like the main cast having to fight an angel that attacks in dreams and Sylvie "launching" by smacking her head off a table really hard so she could fall unconscious. Including the usual pilot launch shout just before she did so. I remember a really barebones but actually well animated episode directed by a guy who specializes in that kind of minimal art. A lot of the good elements of Evol like the music, the combinations etc. are just copies of stuff in Genesis. Sometimes they're even just flat out worse, like it's vision of Gen. It has a few bright spots, and I recall some of it too certainly, but often precisely because I didn't think it good.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 22, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I'm still kind of amazed Trigger and A1 looked at Kill La Kill and went "I think the problem was that it was too subtle"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6 posted:

I'm still kind of amazed Trigger and A1 looked at Kill La Kill and went "I think the problem was that it was too subtle"
Well, now the kids are younger-looking/sounding! :downs:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It also doesn't have Mako. Or Mako's ending. Step it up Trigger.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

tsob posted:

It also doesn't have Mako. Or Mako's ending. Step it up Trigger.

I wanted Mako and Gamagoori to end up together. I'm not heartbroken or anything, I just thought his crush on her was adorable.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Honestly, I don't even remember what the end game for her as a character was. I just meant her ED video after an episode was over. Kill la Kill kind of lost me after a while and I have strong memories of the start, but not so much the end.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, screw Mako. Nico was better. :colbert:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Man, screw Mako. Nico was better. :colbert:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I have strong hopes for 2018s first fuccboi protagonist

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Even if you're being a smarty-pants, you're a'ight, Grouchio. :)

Eela6 posted:

I have strong hopes for 2018s first fuccboi protagonist
Wasn't Neo Yokio enough when it came to fuccbois?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

tsob posted:

Honestly, I don't even remember what the end game for her as a character was. I just meant her ED video after an episode was over. Kill la Kill kind of lost me after a while and I have strong memories of the start, but not so much the end.

KLK started off good and then plot happened and while it was a crazy hype ride, it wasn’t as good as the first half.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Probably a helpful thread for future show discussion - long story short, Trigger isn’t heavily involved in this show outside of design and animation, and all the writing is from A1’s end. So at the very least, predicting how this will go based on Trigger’s past output is unlikely to be too useful.

https://twitter.com/vermillionair3/status/955077081414668289

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Darth Walrus posted:

Probably a helpful thread for future show discussion - long story short, Trigger isn’t heavily involved in this show outside of design and animation, and all the writing is from A1’s end. So at the very least, predicting how this will go based on Trigger’s past output is unlikely to be too useful.

https://twitter.com/vermillionair3/status/955077081414668289

OP edited accordingly. Sorry, I didn't know!

• Locked thread