Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Pablo Gigante posted:

Also I accidentally ordered an XPS 13 with Windows 10 Pro instead of Home so that's cool I guess

I still don't understand the difference between home and pro; also how big of a performance jump is Gen 8 i5 to i7 because the gen 8 i5 9360 is like 800 buckers on outlet which seems like a steal

E oh wait ew nvm it only has 128gb ssd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I still don't understand the difference between home and pro; also how big of a performance jump is Gen 8 i5 to i7 because the gen 8 i5 9360 is like 800 buckers on outlet which seems like a steal

Yeah I mostly went with the i7 because of the 256GB SSD so whatever performance boost I get is just a bonus

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

i keep accidentally buying windows 10 pro licenses on ebay for $10

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Okay so I gotta ask I'm looking and can't find this: is there a laptop out there with
a) kaby lake
b) discrete graphics
c) thunderbolt
d) 13" or smaller

I keep finding things that are like 3/4 of those it's so annoying!!! Like so close but not right it's bugging the crap out of me. Realistically I'll ditch the discrete graphics and it'll be easy but ugh, just ugh

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Okay so I gotta ask I'm looking and can't find this: is there a laptop out there with
a) kaby lake
b) discrete graphics
c) thunderbolt
d) 13" or smaller

I keep finding things that are like 3/4 of those it's so annoying!!! Like so close but not right it's bugging the crap out of me. Realistically I'll ditch the discrete graphics and it'll be easy but ugh, just ugh

You're basically not going to get anything other than maaaaaaaaaaaybe a MX150 in a 13in chassis. I think the only other people who even make 13 inch laptops that fit some or all of your requirements are the Aorus x3 and the Alienware 13.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

a) kaby lake
b) discrete graphics
c) thunderbolt
d) 13" or smaller

Xiaomi air 13 is the only one I would recommend, and you won't be getting any sort of support with it, so bear that in mind. Surface Book 2, maybe, but it's ludicrously expensive to buy and even more expensive if anything goes wrong with it, since it's fundamentally impossible to repair and the only solution is to replace the whole unit.

It's extremely hard to design a 13" laptop with enough cooling power to handle a discrete GPU, which is why you can't find any. However, I have the feeling the next couple years are going to see that change, with Raven Ridge coming out and the intel / amd hybrid thing starting to get implementation.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11796/acer-announces-switch-7-black-edition-2in1-core-i7-geforce-mx150-tb3-fanless

Is this thing real

Also i was considering recommending the xiaomi air but wasnt sure if it hit the thunderbolt req

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I think it just has regular c which I could deal with maybe but I'd really like thunderbolt idk!! It did catch my eye though and is currently on my shortlist

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I gave up on discrete graphics because realistically I’m not going to play any demanding games on a 13” laptop especially since I have a gaming PC and consoles

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pablo Gigante posted:

I gave up on discrete graphics because realistically I’m not going to play any demanding games on a 13” laptop especially since I have a gaming PC and consoles

I convinced my wife of the same (which is why she's now onto the XPS 13 train).

I told her she can have good price, good style, good gaming ability...pick two. She picked price and style since the gaming requirement was this nebulous idea of "maybe it'd be nice to at least have the capability to play some newer 3d stuff" rather than any concrete need.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Hmm what about the ideapad 720s anybody have any hot takes on that one? It looks like it ticks all my boxes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I convinced my wife of the same (which is why she's now onto the XPS 13 train).

I told her she can have good price, good style, good gaming ability...pick two. She picked price and style since the gaming requirement was this nebulous idea of "maybe it'd be nice to at least have the capability to play some newer 3d stuff" rather than any concrete need.

Yeah I basically had the same idea. But really I would just end up playing indie games and emulators even if I had a discrete GPU

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Wahhhh only the 14" can have an mx150 not the 13", there is apparently a ryzen version however hmmm

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Me, squinting at a 13" display playing The Witcher 3 on low settings while the fans run at turbo speed in a hotel room somewhere* This is fun

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Sounds ideal to me, personally. I just want a lappy that's not gonna choke on semi modern titles is all, I was disappointed that my x250 had rather nice specs in all regards except igpu at the time and it was not very games capable

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There is a Thinkpad external dock with a 1050 graphics card but it's $400.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://www.costco.com/.product.100375043.html

Certainly gives up portability to the XPS but 16/512 is big numbers at that price point.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I was looking at that one too but Asus build quality is suspect and it apparently throttles a lot at pretty low temps (like 73 degrees)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also some reviews say its touchpad is crap. (others seem to be fine with it...typical Asus QC?)

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

Seamonster posted:

https://www.costco.com/.product.100375043.html

Certainly gives up portability to the XPS but 16/512 is big numbers at that price point.

This would be perfect if it had thunderbolt :cry:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm in the market for a new laptop soon. I don't really want to spend more than $1500 or so, and I'm looking in the 13-15" range. I don't need it to be able to run AAA games or anything like that--I have a desktop and consoles for that--but here's what I'm looking for:
  • A great screen. I'm slightly tempted by a MacBook Pro just because I know their screens are fantastic, but the reports of dust loving up the butterfly keys have me a little gun shy.
  • A great touchpad. My current laptop is a ThinkPad and I really like the trackpoint, but excellent touchpads are fine by me, too.
  • A good keyboard. Like I said, my current laptop is a ThinkPad. I suspect anything I get is going to be a step down from that, but I'd rather stay away from anything where the keys feel especially mushy, for example.
  • Something that's relatively easy to keep clean. I have a cat who likes to shed on everything I own and I occasionally need to pull dust and cat hair out from under the keys of my ThinkPad.
Good battery life on top of all that would be a nice bonus, but I don't do a ton of work that's far away from an electrical outlet, so even just a reasonable battery life will do me just fine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

a) kaby lake
b) discrete graphics
c) thunderbolt
d) 13" or smaller

Is it the actual screen size or the footprint you want for the 13" figure? The XPS 15 footprint is about the size of your average 13" screen laptop.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Why do you want thunderbolt? Do you have a current use case or is it more about future-proofing?

Honestly, *right now* it's just not thermally possible to have a good gaming experience with a 13" laptop that doesn't weigh 5+ pounds, except maybe the xiaomi air or the surface book 2, both of which have significant downsides in terms of heat, battery life and reliability.

If you can wait 6 months, you should wait 6 months. Both the new Zen APUs and the Intel/AMD hybrid APUs should start landing in real products in that timeframe, which (on paper anyway) should mean much better graphics performance in the 15-25w thermal space. All the current solutions rely on two separate chips with a combined TDP of around 40w, which is just plain hell to try and cram into a 13" chassis without compromising like crazy.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewFatMike posted:

Is it the actual screen size or the footprint you want for the 13" figure? The XPS 15 footprint is about the size of your average 13" screen laptop.

Eh, not really. It's small for a 15" machine but it's a full 2 inches wider than even the x1 carbon, which has a 14" display.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
My previous laptop was an x250 so I like small laptops. Like I'm not trying to run ultra high settings on modern AAA games I don't even game *that* much anymore, I just want something that can competently play games at 1080p with middle good quality. I also don't currently have a laptop because mine got literally robbed from my apartment in a breaking and entering. Ugh. Sigh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NewFatMike posted:

I've seen that phrase thrown around, I'm not sure what 13" laptops they are comparing to

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

My previous laptop was an x250 so I like small laptops. Like I'm not trying to run ultra high settings on modern AAA games I don't even game *that* much anymore, I just want something that can competently play games at 1080p with middle good quality. I also don't currently have a laptop because mine got literally robbed from my apartment in a breaking and entering. Ugh. Sigh.

Here's my advice:

1. Get a used XPS 13 for cheap. You can find a decently specced 9350 for around $600, and it's a fantastic little computer. No, it won't play AAA games of any recent vintage, but it'll be fine for indies and emulators. You could also get an x260 for around that price but finding one with a 1080p display is difficult.

2. Wait 6 months and see if 13" gaming machines become a reality.

3. If they do, sell your XPS for around as much as you paid for it and trade up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Speaking of the XPS line, I'm amazed they gave us a new 15" 2-in-1 at CES, but nothing about the 13" model. The only thing I wish the XPS 13 had was a flippy dippy hinge and pen support, but the 2-in-1 model is a Core M for some ungodly reason. If they can make a full-fat 15" convertible, why didn't they do it with the 13, which makes a shitload more sense as a tablet?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I do most of my development on my PC, but i’m heading to global game jam this weekend and have been considering getting a laptop for it. Does anyone have any suggestions for a laptop powerful enough to do some basic development on (unity mostly) without dying? Doesn’t need to run newly released games at 60fps or anything, just something that will do the job for basic development on the go. I’ve been meaning to get a laptop anyways, may as well take this opportunity. Size isn't a huge issue, a while ago I had a quite large Asus gaming laptop (which is now dead) so I'm used to it. I'd like to keep it under/around 1k, but I wouldn't complain if there's a decent option around 700-800$.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 22, 2018

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

shovelbum posted:

People say this a lot but in this era of overnight startups devouring entire industries, is there actually a legacy enterprise market left?

Yes and from what i can tell they're completely disconnected from the modern world, it's like 1979 bizzaro world, and it represents something like 40% of our economy. Anything introduced after 2007 (Advent of iPhone smartphone era) is basically magic to them. A lot of them still use fax machines and are 60-something and only barely understand email.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Yes and from what i can tell they're completely disconnected from the modern world, it's like 1979 bizzaro world, and it represents something like 40% of our economy. Anything introduced after 2007 (Advent of iPhone smartphone era) is basically magic to them. A lot of them still use fax machines and are 60-something and only barely understand email.

Holy poo poo, I work with people like this, I thought it was because my industry didn't have the internet in the workplace until less than 10 years ago. I wish I had screenshots of some of our lowest-bidder UX.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Boz0r posted:

I'm considering getting a new laptop for gaming and programming, and I'm looking at two different MSI Leopard Pros:
code:
MSI GP62MVR 7RFX 818NE Leopard Pro
Core i5 7300HQ, 
Windows 10 Home, 
8 GB RAM, 
256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD, 
15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 
GF GTX 1060
code:
MSI GP62MVR 7RFX 819NE Leopard Pro
Core i7 7700HQ, 
Windows 10 Home, 
8 GB RAM, 
256 GB SSD NVMe + 1 TB HDD, 
15.6" 1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 
GF GTX 1060
The first one is around 1,200€ and the second one is around 1,660€. Is the 40% price difference worth it for the i7 and NVMe?

I wouldn't say the price difference is worth it. You should be able to swap in an NVMe SSD yourself if you really wanted to for far less than the price premium, and an SATA SSD in the first place is fine. The CPU is something you're far less likely to upgrade, but for most purposes a 4C4T i5 is fine vs. the 4C8T i7.

Statutory Ape posted:

i keep accidentally buying windows 10 pro licenses on ebay for $10

There's at least one UK seller who lists them for closer to $5, and apparently re-selling OEM licenses is legal due to EU law? (:shrug: IANAL, don't take my word on this.)

If you don't know what Pro adds then you don't need it. Just forget about it and if you happen to buy a system that comes with Pro instead of Home just consider that a bonus.

If you're just talking about the Kaby Lake-R line, there's only 4 CPUs (2 i5 and 2 i7) and they're all 4C8T. They're mostly just incremental upgrades (like the previous-gens of ULV CPUs which were all 2C4T) although the 8650U is apparently a significant jump over the 8550U on the synthetic Passmark.

a) kaby lake
b) discrete graphics
c) thunderbolt
d) 13" or smaller

I don't think there's anything with all 4 of those criteria; that really looks like a "pick 3 of 4" situation. This is the closest thing I can think of; Kaby Lake-R, dGPU, and it's 14" but is fairly thin & light so I think your portability concern is addressed.

If you're looking for TB3 so you can get an eGPU then I really think you should rule out the dGPU. You could get a Razer Blade Stealth with no dGPU but it's 12.5" and fits the other criteria, while being intended for use with the Core eGPU.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
egpu is something I would be curious about for the future but I am mostly wanting the possibility to display good screens from it if I need the workspace in the future which I might. I am considering the mx150 ideapad 720s 14" but it is a bit hefty and bigger than I would prefer. I am also curious about the ryzen 13" (I feel like you all are overestimating what I want out of this laptop games wise, more than indie but just the option to play newish games on medium heck even low settings with adequate framerate). I did catch that the ryzen 13" has some memory bottleneck issues however but it ticks most the things I'm interested in and I can grab one for under $1000 which is about my limit. Anyway thanks for the advice y'all I will meditate on my options.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

T480s will have Tbolt but it will be EXPENSIVE in comparison. Probably north of $1500 specced out like that UX430. You'll need to decide if 50% more dollars worth it for the durability and Tbolt.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
A t480 is too large for me. It seems very large. I would rather give up on the dgpu at that point and snag an x280 which I might because I loved my x250 and my x120e before that.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm still mourning my robbed x250

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm looking at this Dell inspiron 15 7000 and this Acer nitro 5 since they're both at my local Costco for easy pickup and returns. They seem very similar, but the dell has a 6gb GTX 1060 instead of a 4gb 1050, but no usb-c and seems to run hotter from what I can find. I can only find info about the Acer with the 1050 ti card, and from what I can tell the one Costco stocks only has regular 1050, is that a significant downgrade? Can anyone who knows a bit more about hardware than I do comment on these?

Looking online, apparently the 1050 is only 2gb while the ti is 4gb, and the online listing for the Acer says it has 4gb, so maybe it is ti and Costco just doesn't have that listed???

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The notebook 1050 non-ti can definitely come with 4GB

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp. Is the non ti 4gb 1050 fairly worse than the 6gb 1060 then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes