Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

explosivo posted:

That cheat sheet's going to be extremely helpful, thanks for that.

I don't have nearly enough space for all of this. :stare:

In Factorio you actually got infinite space! Just need to pay biter tax at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

explosivo posted:

That cheat sheet's going to be extremely helpful, thanks for that.

I don't have nearly enough space for all of this. :stare:

That's why trains are helpful - you can make the iron off-site, and all you need to run your bus is a train stop to load it up. It scales up very well, since you can mine a bunch of deposits at once, build as many smelting areas as necessary, and pump a potentially endless amount of trains through a single train unloading area. The only problem is making sure the unloading areas are built to scale well and have space to expand with, since you have fewer options for dealing with congestion and spaghetti with trains.

Here's what the start of my bus looks like:

Even then, that's not feeding as much into my bus as you'd think - a belt and a half of copper goes directly to my circuit-making operation, for example, and I don't have enough iron outposts yet to really saturate that stop (which is why I haven't bothered to improve that train stop yet).

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
16.17 just hit, this is the big splitter change (filtering and priority settings), still nothing on belt compression though

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

explosivo posted:

gently caress me, okay, yeah my definition of "a shitload of smelters" is clearly off. Looks like I've got some work to do tonight.

I love this part of the Factorio thread. Whenever some guy goes "Man, my base is big, I've got so many furnaces producing stuff, but it's not enough!" And some veteran player goes "Mmm, try thinking bigger."

Jamsque posted:

16.17 just hit, this is the big splitter change (filtering and priority settings), still nothing on belt compression though

gently caress. Yes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Honestly don't even worry too hard about ratios, especially for smelting. I'm super lazy so I just build more and more smelters until my belts are saturated, then I build more just in case and justify it by calling it a buffer :v:

One thing I love about this game is that efficiency is totally optional. Making too much of something? gently caress it, you have a buffer now. Congratulations. Turn off production once your buffer hits a certain size so you're not consuming too many resources and you're set. You're better off having too much instead of too little. I hate excessive amounts of math, and I also like spaghetti.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 22, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

explosivo posted:

gently caress me, okay, yeah my definition of "a shitload of smelters" is clearly off. Looks like I've got some work to do tonight.

Also keep in mind that's for blue belts. If you're on black science still, then you're probably still on yellow belts. That means you'll be using...half of those numbers or something like that listen I don't know we've already established I hate math what I'm saying is you should build more smelters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Renegret posted:

Also keep in mind that's for blue belts. If you're on black science still, then you're probably still on yellow belts. That means you'll be using...half of those numbers or something like that listen I don't know we've already established I hate math what I'm saying is you should build more smelters.

I do have blue belts, I already did a lot of the research that requires black science at my other base and was trying to prioritize everything else so that's the last one I'm getting up and running off the bus. I then ran into this whole mess so I put it aside altogether for the time being.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Renegret posted:

Honestly don't even worry too hard about ratios, especially for smelting. I'm super lazy so I just build more and more smelters until my belts are saturated, then I build more just in case and justify it by calling it a buffer :v:

One thing I love about this game is that efficiency is totally optional. Making too much of something? gently caress it, you have a buffer now. Congratulations. Turn off production once your buffer hits a certain size so you're not consuming too many resources and you're set. You're better off having too much instead of too little. I hate excessive amounts of math, and I also like spaghetti.

The only important ratio is "more," the right base size is "bigger," and the time to throw it all away and start over is "never."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If any belt is saturated then that's a sign you aren't consuming enough of whatever is on it.

If any belt is not totally saturated then that's a sign that you aren't producing enough of something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Counterpoint: ratios let you do things like this

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
technically you can do that without ratios too! As long as you overproduce!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That's not nearly elegant enough! :discourse:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ironically for me, learning the ratios let me build much much bigger:

FISHMANPET posted:

You vs the guy she told you not to worry about etc etc
My old coal fired 20 furnaces per express belt steel production on the left, 48 electric furnaces fed by red belts on the right side.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Beacons make everything very compact! A blue belt of beaconed iron plate is tiny.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Confession: I hate beacons

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

Confession: I hate beacons

Yeah same. I just want to stamp out the same pattern of building without trying to minmax proximity at the expense of legibility. I can always get more space, I can't ever get the time I spend understanding an awful hell layout for the first time in two hours back.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I kinda wish trains had a "skip this stop if the following is true" logic section.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I kinda wish trains had a "skip this stop if the following is true" logic section.

And I would love one of those conditions to be based on the amount of fuel in the vehicle

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FISHMANPET posted:

And I would love one of those conditions to be based on the amount of fuel in the vehicle

Yeah, no kidding. I don't even think a train's fuel level is accessible by automation.

While I'm posting stupid asks, I'd also like for cars and tanks to retain their currently consumed fuel when you pick them up. This way, if you put down a car, drive it a bit, and pick it up, it doesn't cost a single unit of fuel every time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Unrelated:

Factorio 0.16.17 patch notes posted:

- Fixed that you couldn't attack nests with your pickaxe.

FINALLY

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

I love this part of the Factorio thread. Whenever some guy goes "Man, my base is big, I've got so many furnaces producing stuff, but it's not enough!" And some veteran player goes "Mmm, try thinking bigger."

I got a friend into playing. He said it was boring and everything took forever.
Long story short I managed to convince him 5 furnaces weren't enough.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

hmm i made this U-235 enrichment thing half an hour ago but i forgot about it let's see how much it made--

i think it works :shobon:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

hmm i made this U-235 enrichment thing half an hour ago but i forgot about it let's see how much it made--

i think it works :shobon:

gently caress that's a much smarter way of doing it than I was trying :doh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Exciting update: I got a little impatient waiting for nukes to build:

(yes i know it's terrible)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Exciting update: I got a little impatient waiting for nukes to build:

(yes i know it's terrible)

You made me wait 20 seconds for nuke to finish.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sininu posted:

You made me wait 20 seconds for nuke to finish.

It can actually crank out a nuke every 8.33 seconds. :v:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bhodi posted:

Beacons make everything very compact! A blue belt of beaconed iron plate is tiny.

Depends on what modules you use.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I was really happy with how the uranium enrichment thing turned out. In quite possibly the first use of the "pulse" mode for reading a belt in RECORDED HISTORY, I made a counter for determining when to start pulling U-235 off the ring belt. Once there's at least 40 U-235 on the belt, the filter inserter starts picking up U-235. The counter is reset by a piece of wood that endlessly circles around on the belt :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If it's stupid and it works, then it's stupid but works.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress. You are making me want to finish my enrichment apparatus.

It mostly worked but I was getting frustrated with the finishing touches

A new centrifuge can be chained on and it will prime itself up to the minimum required amount of U‐235, or double that for slightly increase throughput, and kick out the new U‐235 each cycle.

The silly overcomplicating feature is that with the press of the button (or appropriate circuit signal), the centrifuges will enter orderly shutdown and discharge all U‐235.

It’s massively overkill, but it was an interesting design challenge.

The problem is that I stopped working on it in September and now the control system is Greek to me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Alkydere posted:

My last .15 game was producing so much steel that 4 blue belts couldn't bring it to my trains fast enough. Accordning to the ratios that means I had more than 1400 electric furnaces equivalent. I was using GotLags Electric Furnaces Mod, so Furnace 3's with 4 production modules and speed beacons. It must have been around 600 furnaces though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Update: After feeding two more iron sources into their own set of furnaces I'm now producing enough to saturate the bus with iron plates. Now, I need to do the same with copper.

The march goes on.. :sigh:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

M_Gargantua posted:

My last .15 game was producing so much steel that 4 blue belts couldn't bring it to my trains fast enough. Accordning to the ratios that means I had more than 1400 electric furnaces equivalent. I was using GotLags Electric Furnaces Mod, so Furnace 3's with 4 production modules and speed beacons. It must have been around 600 furnaces though.

Incidentally, I would appreciate any feedback you have regarding those higher-tier electric furnaces. I added them on request but I've not used them beyond sandbox testing.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

Incidentally, I would appreciate any feedback you have regarding those higher-tier electric furnaces. I added them on request but I've not used them beyond sandbox testing.

They're great to have in late game factories. On the surface they almost seem too cheap for the benefit for four module slots but by the time you get to the mass manufacture of Level 3's you're already pumping out level three modules so "expensive" efficiency and speed 2's are just a drop in the big bucket.

So the costs do a good job discouraging early adoption, meaning that it's balanced well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Counting pulses scares me so this is what I've got

The inserters are all set to only move 1 item at a time. The bottom box is just a path to get into the box above it. That box sends it's contents to the provider and requester chest. The inserter only takes 238 out of the box when there's more than 10 in the box, and it only inserts 235 when there's less than 10 of that in the box. If there's more than 1000 238 in my network the inserter won't feed the provider chest, and it won't take anything out of the Centrifuge. The downside to this is that it essentially ties up 40 extra 238 because the centrifuge has what it's currently operating on plus what it needs to operate again. As I set these up I have to keep manually pulling out extra in the cycle beyond 40 to get more centrifuges going, but once they've all got 40 238 they're self sufficient.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FISHMANPET posted:

The downside to this is that it essentially ties up 40 extra 238 because the centrifuge has what it's currently operating on plus what it needs to operate again. As I set these up I have to keep manually pulling out extra in the cycle beyond 40 to get more centrifuges going, but once they've all got 40 238 they're self sufficient.

Yeah, my setup has the same issue. I just let them buffer 80 U-235 and don't worry about it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

I decided to make a new (for me) early game smelting array to minimize throughput problems. 4 belts of ore go in, 4 belts of product come out. Its fairly compact and it makes a nice symmetrical squarish smelting area instead of ugly long columns. Also easy to upgrade, the ratios will hold when you go to steel furnaces and red belt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, the splitter change is the best thing. Especially for AngelBobs

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

explosivo posted:

Update: After feeding two more iron sources into their own set of furnaces I'm now producing enough to saturate the bus with iron plates. Now, I need to do the same with copper.

The march goes on.. :sigh:

:clint: my dude, you need to get some construction bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Looks like the splitter change will make spaghetti factories more viable, this is a good thing for someone like me who finds most of the classic Factorio systems overwhelming :)