Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think the bolded items really push the plan from implausible to ludicrous.

Also laser fingers giving a brain massage might be the worst on screen representation of brain surgery I've ever seen.

I mean, maybe she didn't originally count on being captured and was just going to send him a space-email to activate Voq brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I want borg to suddenly show up and throw a wrench in the works for all sides involved

They will always be my favorite ever trek baddy, a sheer force of nature to be avoided instead of yet another villain with clear motivations

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

marktheando posted:

Well they were a livestock species right? Saru is probably delicious.

not sure why the tall thin gangly skin and bones species is bred for livestock but hell, i dont even know how a warp field works so what the gently caress do i know??? i cant even modulate the shield polarity ... shameful. :negative:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They will always be my favorite ever trek baddy, a sheer force of nature to be avoided instead of yet another villain with clear motivations

...until they turned into zombies lead by a necromancer queen.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought that was too far as well. Then again, we repeatedly see Terrans dehumanizing other species in the MU so I guess it was bound to happen.

We do eat apes and monkeys though, that's almost the same thing. And maybe Kelpians are extremely tasty? Eh, I'll allow it :shrug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

We do eat apes and monkeys though, that's almost the same thing. And maybe Kelpians are extremely tasty? Eh, I'll allow it :shrug:

yea apes and monkeys are the same as a guy who is a normal guy but is tall, strong, and has weird tentacles but is otherwise just a normal guy, who talks, and has dreams and ambitions, love, and can learn how the jigulate the warp core to flux with the inter-spacial spore field.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
BRUTHA i think u been spending too much time in the freaking mycelial plane

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
I'm picturing boxes of Kelpian Crunch with a smilin' Saru on the front.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i rly liked how the "infected spore field" just cribbed the design from stranger things upside down zerg creep aesthetic.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The original Fuller idea of this being an anthology series just blows my mind. Discovery is already, per-episode, one of the most expensive shows around. Imagine inflating those costs even further by making most of your sets, costumes, and actors redundant at the end of every season.

The USS Stamets thing is confusing but at this point I can't think of it as anything but an easter egg, and the fact that it was Paul's hallucination (it was, in his words, "his ship").

And is the Discovery's class (Crossfield-class) actually a reference to anything historical or something, or did one of the showrunners decide to name it after their gated whitepeople suburb or something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

And is the Discovery's class (Crossfield-class) actually a reference to anything historical or something, or did one of the showrunners decide to name it after their gated whitepeople suburb or something.

Albert Scott Crossfield was the first pilot to ever fly at Mach 2 (twice the speed of sound).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Here, have some screenshots of not-Saru to argue about :

He's the most Saru-like (Saruish? Saruvian?) of the three but it's also pretty clearly not him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s pretty close though. I can easily see some confusion.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I mean, Saru's race was explicitly deliberately created to be a subsurvient livestock species - some master species must have done that. Maybe the Terrans co-opted the existing power structures when they took over? In the prime universe they'd have lost their poo poo, in the mirror universe they're like "oh they love being slaves? well that's a time saver! and crave being devoured? well, when in rome - which to be clear is all the time "

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Drone posted:

The original Fuller idea of this being an anthology series just blows my mind. Discovery is already, per-episode, one of the most expensive shows around. Imagine inflating those costs even further by making most of your sets, costumes, and actors redundant at the end of every season.

Keep in mind his idea was before they over designed everything on Discovery.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I like Bryan Fuller but he's not very good at being a showrunner (see American Gods)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I enjoyed that episode. It was short, but it didn't feel rushed to me.

It's nice to see blood when people are getting killed, it has more impact than the rather too clean death by phaser/disruptor. I really like the retroactive explanation of dark lighting for baddies being because of dodgy eyes. I also thought the dinner scene was a genuinely effective bit of (mild) horror.
Discovery's mirror universe continues to be the nightmare shithole it should be.

The Lord Bude posted:

How do so many people manage to pay so little attention to the tv they’re watching?

TVIV's stock-in-trade has always been people too stupid to follow a TV plot complaining that a TV programme is bad because the plot doesn't make sense. See the first hundred and more pages of this thread for a particularly fecund example.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

HorseRenoir posted:

I like Bryan Fuller but he's not very good at being a showrunner (see American Gods)

I just finished the absolutely excellent Hannibal, so Fuller’s inability to get his poo poo together for Discovery is even more infuriating to me now.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Does Fuller work with anyone in a partnership kind of way? He seems like he would benefit from someone to balance his expansive ideas from ground zero. (Him and that Brazil guy, yeeesh)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I liked this show in the beginning, but I'm loving loving it now. Its silly and camp in a far more enthralling way than any of the previous Star Trek shows achieved.

I just hope Jason Issacs' isn't written out or turned into a minor recurring role because he loving owns in this, as does Clem Fandango.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SpeakSlow posted:

To be fair, a Klingon intelligence officer is roughly the equivalent of a Romulan Middle Schooler. Bless her heart.
Star Fleet is not exactly great either. At one point on Discovery we had:
Captain was a fake from another universe
Head of security was a Klingon double-agent
Michael Burnham THE TRAITOR was the most trusted officer and first choice to lead several missions.

Federation should take a page from the Romulans and have some kind of Internal Affairs/Tal Shiar organization to monitor and keep tabs on the officers of their ships!

Senor Tron posted:

I'm standing by my head-canon that there are at least two mirror (as in evil doppelganger) universes.

Mirror Universe A: Encountered in TOS and DS9.

Mirror Universe B: Encountered in ENT and DIS.
There are in infinite number of possible universes. The point of intersection is always going to be between the closest parallel/mirror/alternate universes.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Sometimes Kelpian threat ganglia manifest, other times they don't; it's a very unreliable appendage. Maybe sometimes they taste good and sometimes they don't, which is why it's a delicacy to get good-tasting ganglia.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Binary Logic posted:

Federation should take a page from the Romulans and have some kind of Internal Affairs/Tal Shiar organization to monitor and keep tabs on the officers of their ships!

Hmm I think there was something about authorizing this in the charter...

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

The Lord Bude posted:

Even worse, only 37 mins. I don’t even know how the gently caress that happens.

37 minutes of awesome, and we learned that Kelpians are delicious!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Budgie posted:

37 minutes of awesome, and we learned that Kelpians are delicious!

"Serving Kelpians" is NOT a book about their military careers.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

The Lord Bude posted:

Mirror Saru is a Slave on the shenzhou. You literally just watched Michael and Lorca take a shuttlecraft by themselves at warp speed to go to wherever the Charon is. It makes absolutely no sense for Saru to randomly have been one of the kelpians in the Emperor’s larder. How do so many people manage to pay so little attention to the tv they’re watching?

No kidding. If one more person asks if it’s Ash with Voq’s mind or Voq with Ash’s mind when it was COMPLETELY SPELLED OUT FOR THEM

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I want borg to suddenly show up and throw a wrench in the works for all sides involved

You will be entertained. Resistance is like, totally not cool man. We will adapt to service you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess it’s not impossible that Mirror Stamets got Lorca to the Prime Universe somehow. But we did establish in this episode that the Empire has not developed a spore drive.

No, but they got far enough to trap him in the Mycellial plane, I'm wondering if it was the same accident that shunted Lorca to the prime universe.

Speaking of which, anyone else get the impression that 'Culber' was the network?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 22, 2018

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
The only character names I can remember from this show are Michael, lorca, stamets, Ash, voq, and lrell. I can't remember any others. I have to rack my brain to remember sarus name. I wish I could remember the hot bridge chick with the cybernetic head thing because she is my wife on this show.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

The only character names I can remember from this show are Michael, lorca, stamets, Ash, voq, and lrell. I can't remember any others. I have to rack my brain to remember sarus name. I wish I could remember the hot bridge chick with the cybernetic head thing because she is my wife on this show.

Captain Killy? Come on now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Oh yeah, Tilly. I like her.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

You will be entertained. Resistance is like, totally not cool man. We will adapt to service you.

Then MUQ shows up and is like, "I'm going to advise and provide answers to your questions about the nature of the universe, not for my amusement but for the good of all".

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of which, anyone else get the impression that 'Culber' was the network?

Given that "Culber" was talking about stuff Culber wouldn't know about, and there'd be no reason for Culber's soul to be in the Space Fungi Network, that kinda has to be the case, although that means that Stamets's goodbye was to a cosmic fungi entity posing as his partner. :(

...the alternative is that all people pass through the mycelial network on death and Mirror Stamets just destroyed/started the destruction of the afterlife in Star Trek, which would be, even by Trek standards, kinda weird.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

That's not bad.
In addition to showing her comm badge at least once per episode there was a whole scene with an announcer proclaiming "Lords of the empire, privileged guests. All hail Her Most Imperial Majesty, mother of the fatherland, father of the motherland, Overlord of Vulcan, Dominus of Cronos.. Phillippa Georgiou Augustus etc etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Stamets talking to Culber was, I thought, pretty obviously a metaphor for Stamets' mind pulling itself back together again as his treatment runs its course.. Reintegrating external stimuli (seeing Culber get killed) with his concious intellect. Culber is telling him things he already knows and or intuits. Within an environment constructed from his own mind.

Mirror Stamets didn't see Culber because Mirror Stamets, while connected to him, is not Discovery Stamets.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 23, 2018

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Well, that and fascist regimes somehow never end up helping the Gay Folk in any universe. No matter what Fox News or the Multiversal equivalent may tell you.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
who the gently caress is voq

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Mirror Stamets said he was doing his shroom research of the Imperial flagship. I hope that the heroes get back to their own universe in the next episode or two and temporarily forget about the mirror one, do some prime universe adventures and then the stinger right before the two part finale is the Imperial flagship suddenly poofing into the prime universe.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I really didn't want Lorca to be MU because I just wanted a desperate rear end in a top hat to just be a desperate rear end in a top hat, but the way they revealed it made me retroactively like the idea.

I continue to like Tilly and Saru more and more (and I loved them from the beginning) and seeing Stamets really be Stamets again made me realize how much he balances the dynamic of the show. I missed his character, but not in a shallow "I wanna see Anthony Rapp's face" kind of way.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s pretty close though. I can easily see some confusion.

You and Tiggum are racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

who the gently caress is voq

he's one of the space orcs