Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, dominions is hard because every nation has a different set if options and plays differently, and to master it you've got to know them all pretty much. You csn ease yourself into dominions easily, but it hss a very high skill ceiling. EU4 (as someone who has been 1000 hours in it) front loads all the complicated stuff much more thsn dominions, but it's also got good UI and competent AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

violent sex idiot posted:

lol that jon joe is posting this.

oof ow my ai

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I got it. Any suggestion for a starting nation to learn the ropes?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jon joe posted:

Being new though a multiplayer game probably won't last more than a month for you for the first few.

lmao is almost a month old. I guess this means the end is near for me. :saddowns:

Seriously, do multiplayer. It's a lot more fun than single player, and I even like single player.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

lol that jon joe is posting this.

You owned him and he just ai'd irl

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

MA Ulm

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You owned him and he just ai'd irl

We hereby declare war on your unholy nation.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This with a lot of positive 'scales' on a dormant god.

Or EA Ctis with an awake monster with high earth.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
if you go ai online you go ai in real life

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
welp, Eriu has gone AI in surroundedbyenemies.

My fault. I decided to go all in on fighting Ermor early, and didn't put enough effort into keeping Pangaea off my turf. Teach me to be a buddy to the other teams.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Demiurge4 posted:

Another Caelum situation in lmao.

idgi

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Coin posted:

My fault. I decided to go all in on fighting Ermor early, and didn't put enough effort into keeping Pangaea off my turf. Teach me to be a buddy to the other teams.

That's probably one of the most valuable multiplayer lessons you can learn!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Coin posted:

Wait, you bordered MA Ermor and MA Pangaea. Hell going AI the turn you learned this was not a bad plan.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Coin posted:

My fault. I decided to go all in on fighting Ermor early, and didn't put enough effort into keeping Pangaea off my turf.
???

You didn't put anything like enough effort into fighting Ermor, which is why Pangaea had to liberate your territories as a thoroughfare to get to Ermor, which was on your capital due to Mistakes.

If it's any consolation, the largest faction is now a glamoured underwater nation, the anti Ermor coalition was dissolved due to TC getting too randy for Pythium's provices to wait 5 turns until Ermor was actually really well and truly dead, and the throne requirement is about 90% of them, so the game would have been utterly miserable even if you'd have chosen not to keep attacking Pangaea with indies/Ermor in your back yard.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Imagine being blamed for starting between Pan and Ermor lol

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Imagine being blamed for starting between Pan and Ermor lol

U gently caress how dare you get cancer and die

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jbereton's ermor strategy was to kill everyone between him and ermor, so that he would be bigger than ermor.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 23, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Normal Adult Human posted:

Jbereton's ermor strategy was to kill everyone between him and ermor, so that he would be bigger than ermor.

The correct strategy when ermor is in the game is to start on the opposite end of the world from ermor and have other people attack him

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The correct strategy when ermor is in the game is to start on the opposite end of the world from ermor and have other people attack him

Why is MA ermor even in a game, the correct choice would have been to shun this game and berate the creator for allowing MA ermor to be picked (haha the creator probably picked ma ermor)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MF_James posted:

Why is MA ermor even in a game, the correct choice would have been to shun this game and berate the creator for allowing MA ermor to be picked (haha the creator probably picked ma ermor)

They are a bit less good in Dom5, given them a pair of games to test if they are nerfed to a decent level (or not).

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is how I won my newbie game, actually. I helped form a grand 'Kill Ermor' alliance, and mailed the participants soups because I didn't have any borders with Ermor. By the time Ermor was dead, so was everyone else and the last remaining people AI'd because they didn't want to manage their poo poo anymore.

Kind of hollow, but that's my story.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Turin Turambar posted:

They are a bit less good in Dom5, given them a pair of games to test if they are nerfed to a decent level (or not).

It's not that they were good/great, it's that they make the game loving miserable, they aren't (or weren't) a bad nation by any means, but they aren't spectacular they just spread super AIDS across the world. They kill all population which makes their provinces worthless to every other nation except for gems, which basically fucks the nations living near them because they spread their awful AIDs into their neighbors, their neighbors now attack them, but the provinces they are taking are worthless and they're bleeding troops/money. Now it took 3-4 nations to kill ermor quickly, but those nations are weak as gently caress now and get eaten by the other 4-5 nations.

Congratulations you just punished half of the players in a game for killing the most annoying nation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

This is how I won my newbie game, actually. I helped form a grand 'Kill Ermor' alliance, and mailed the participants soups because I didn't have any borders with Ermor. By the time Ermor was dead, so was everyone else and the last remaining people AI'd because they didn't want to manage their poo poo anymore.

Kind of hollow, but that's my story.

In times like these, a drink of broth is more valuable than ten thousand pounds of gold.

Snee
Dec 19, 2013
I remember there was an very extensive (mostly direct connect) goon dominions server site but I can't find it my search engine or bookmark, anyone remember the URL?

Thanks

PS, Whoever designed the new default avatar is an rear end in a top hat.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

brainwrinkle.net

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Is there a way to view a nation's full description and units before you choose your nation, or do you just have to check the rulebook first? I've been getting into the game a lot lately, and my only real issue with it is having to confirm your nation before you get to see the full description screen, unless there's something I'm missing. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've been looking all over the rulebook and the internet to see; it seems like something really simple that you should be able to do. :shrug:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

discoukulele posted:

Is there a way to view a nation's full description and units before you choose your nation, or do you just have to check the rulebook first? I've been getting into the game a lot lately, and my only real issue with it is having to confirm your nation before you get to see the full description screen, unless there's something I'm missing. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I've been looking all over the rulebook and the internet to see; it seems like something really simple that you should be able to do. :shrug:

https://larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

awesome, thanks a lot! :discourse:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

discoukulele posted:

I think you can also preview nations in the pretender creator in-game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

discoukulele posted:

awesome, thanks a lot! :discourse:

While that site is an essential resource for Dominions players, it doesn't have Nation descriptions, which you need to know things like Mekone unrest system or Mictlan blood sacrifice for dominion.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

speak truth to power

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Working on some color palette tweaks to make it easier for the eye to quickly identify terrain types during winter:

New/Old

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 30, 2018

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That looks great.

It was a bit hard to distinguish the trees and mountains before.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Another iteration with some grass changes:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
First attempt at displaying winter status for water provinces:

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
You are the loving best, love seeing all this come along. The Dominions community really is a wonderful group.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

5.12, fixing some bugs (and some heroes added?):

General
Battles could overwrite previous battles resulting in confusing reports
New heroes (Members of the Third Tier)
New divine epithets
New random events
End turn warning also on expiring mercs and empty research queue
Quickness was too quick when attacking
Global message for Theft of the Sun
New prophet proclamation message
More popups
Don't show inspirational icon for non-commanders
Don't show spell singer icon for non-spellcasters
Lower combat speed in swamps
Rearmost target more reliable (but still not perfectly reliable)
Fields of the Dead was only half working
It was possible to target rearmost with hold and fire
Fix for text highlighting in commander tokens
Small delay before firing missile weapons
Improved early movement anticipation for ranged units
Innate casters no longer cast spells after battle has ended
Far Caster blessing works properly now
The last killing poison damage (green numbers) was not show in battle, fixed
Fix for load/save with many maps in map editor
Unique titles for disciples as well
Mekone can cast Sow Dragon Teeth too
Event fixes
Stat fixes
Typos fixed

Modding
Fix for #divineins

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Well, like an idiot I bought into the latest edition of this hellgame. Is it still bainwinkle that people use, since I remember using that once.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Corbeau posted:

First attempt at displaying winter status for water provinces:

Oh I didn't know water even cared it was cold. Cute babby icebergs tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Istvun posted:

Well, like an idiot I bought into the latest edition of this hellgame. Is it still bainwinkle that people use, since I remember using that once.

For now, yes (combined with discord generally). I'm working on a discord bot to replace it though since it's out of date (but still mostly functional).