Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Nightgull posted:

I just want to say I like big, heavily armored guys a lot and Mordekaiser did not live up to that fantasy. Darius was really fun. But he seems very easy to run away from, and the Gnar I defeated in lane was even worse than me somehow. Darius Q is hard to hit sometimes.

I think next I will try Orn, or Illaoi. The bird girl also seems neat. Rayah? I like her aesthetic, though not as much as Kindred. Hopefully the next time Kindred is available, I'll be good enough to make use of her properly. I don't mean that in a creepy way, even though it sounds like it. I should probably go to sleep but I'm going to play Illaoi. Wish me luck, my new friends.
Mordekaiser, Darius, and Illaoi are all part of a subclass called the "Juggernauts" that were a recent update a year or two back, that were meant to be absolutely unstoppable if they get on top of you but easy to kite if you know what you're doing. If you ever made the mistake of getting close to these champions they were supposed to basically one-shot you.

Illaoi and Darius still fit the same mold, and when the update hit so did Mordekaiser, more than anyone else. But they had made him an "AD Carry replacement" in bot lane which meant to make up for being a melee champion with no gap closers and small range, he was incredibly over-powered. They started nerfing him, started a mini rework, and now he has so many bugs he's almost unplayable now.

If you like the Juggernaut playstyle (Big beefy champions that do a lot of damage if you get on top of someone) the other ones lumped into that group are Skarner (A jungler who has a gimmick with shrines you can capture to buff you), Garen (A tanky Juggernaut who does a lot of damage but can only basically run at your really fast), and Nasus (Someone who just wants to farm for about 20-30 minutes and can then just one-shot people with his Q if he gets close enough)

Kindred is a very complicated jungler, because she plays pretty differently than almost every other one, a lot of her strength relies on good kiting in the jungle and good sense to counter-jungle safely to get her marks up and her ultimate can sometimes gently caress your entire team over. For a similar type feel, Nidalee and Graves ranged junglers that are a little bit easier to use -- Nidalee herself has a bit of mechanics to master and is a bit more squishy and relies on hitting a long-range skillshot for most of her damage, graves is the tankier of the three and plays almost like an ADC in the jungle.

Orn is pretty interesting and really powerful right now, but if you want similar champions that are easier to play/learn on there's Zac (Jungle) and Malphite (top)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Servaetes posted:

He's not wrong, and I like Pog. Between him and Keven and the people that emulate them the thread can become unreadable for a while really fast

You forgot about Methanar.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Aumanor posted:

You forgot about Methanar.
He's less weird twitter and more irl amumu.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'll have you know there were at least 9 people today who expressed interest (and someone got it) wanting to live in my basement. I'm not that unlike-able.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Luna Was Here posted:

That's because you rebind `-click to t instead

t is for trinket because 123T567 for items makes no sense

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Nightgull posted:

I just want to say I like big, heavily armored guys a lot and Mordekaiser did not live up to that fantasy. Darius was really fun. But he seems very easy to run away from, and the Gnar I defeated in lane was even worse than me somehow. Darius Q is hard to hit sometimes.

I think next I will try Orn, or Illaoi. The bird girl also seems neat. Rayah? I like her aesthetic, though not as much as Kindred. Hopefully the next time Kindred is available, I'll be good enough to make use of her properly. I don't mean that in a creepy way, even though it sounds like it. I should probably go to sleep but I'm going to play Illaoi. Wish me luck, my new friends.

Morde's design is weird and slightly misleading, he's hard to kill like you might expect but he's an unusual mage/juggernaut rather than a more traditional tank or fighter. A lot of his survivability is essentially drain tanking.

Gnar softcounters Darius so that match up isn't the best to judge by, but yes, the main issue with Darius is his low mobility and easiness to kite. If you want someone who's very big and chunky I'd recommend Sion.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Morde's design is weird and slightly misleading, he's hard to kill like you might expect but he's an unusual mage/juggernaut rather than a more traditional tank or fighter. A lot of his survivability is essentially drain tanking.

Gnar softcounters Darius so that match up isn't the best to judge by, but yes, the main issue with Darius is his low mobility and easiness to kite. If you want someone who's very big and chunky I'd recommend Sion.

Also try Maokai, has a lot of CC options, shitloads of sustain from his passive and does more damage than most people expect.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

. If you want someone who's very big and chunky

Olaf would like to have a word with you.
Right after Mundo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

njsykora posted:

They didn't say anything about Varus though?

Exactly

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Right after Mundo.

Olaf and Mundo are both awesome, but you need to be able to consistently land your skillshot slow/nuke if you want to have a good time

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nightgull posted:

It's hard to tell if you're being serious, because you post in the same style as weird Twitter.

weird twitter posts in the same style as me. anyway, i am usually serious except when i am obviously not being serious, for example if i say that quinn is a good character to play - this is a joke.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Rygar201 posted:

Olaf and Mundo are both awesome, but you need to be able to consistently land your skillshot slow/nuke if you want to have a good time

Olafs Q goes through minions though, if you combine that with comet and the slow its got on it, you basically bully everyone out of lane pretty fast even if you miss a few. Especially cause Olafs Q resets (drastically lowers?) CD on pickup.
From lvl 6 onward, both are esentially ungankable.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pog boyfriend posted:

weird twitter posts in the same style as me. anyway, i am usually serious except when i am obviously not being serious, for example if i say that quinn is a good character to play - this is a joke.

I just had a fun game as Teemo jungle vs Quinn jungle in which she was not allowed to have any buffs or also her wolves or Krugs because every time she stepped near them she hit a mushroom and died. :keke:

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Right after Mundo.

Olav seems like exactly my thing and I look forward to trying him. Mundo is a bit too goofy for me - I know, I'm lame. Something about his style bites me in the hind. Maybe if I had a cool skin, but I'm not sure I want to spend money on this game.

pog boyfriend posted:

I didn't mean it as an insult, sorry if it came off that way. I enjoy weird twitter.

I'm a little in love with Illaoi. She's hilarious, and her voice actor is amazing, her lines are neat, her animations are beautiful. Why must all the champs I click with be so expensive.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Illaoi's character is great but her kit can be frustrating. You kinda have to hope people are dumb enough to fight in your ult or near tentacles. She's pretty stellar if you can land e and people are willing to scuffle with you, though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Nightgull posted:

Olav seems like exactly my thing and I look forward to trying him. Mundo is a bit too goofy for me - I know, I'm lame. Something about his style bites me in the hind. Maybe if I had a cool skin, but I'm not sure I want to spend money on this game.

:getout:

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Illaoi's character is great but her kit can be frustrating. You kinda have to hope people are dumb enough to fight in your ult or near tentacles. She's pretty stellar if you can land e and people are willing to scuffle with you, though.

Down in Bronze she is regarded as an immortal warrior queen, an absolutely unstoppable force on the lane that instantly wins the game at champ select. Her tentacles are undodgable and her ultimate kills you no matter where you are on the map.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

My main issues playing Illaoi are the inconsistency of the tentacle spawns (Basically, that you can respawn and oh great, look at that useless piece of poo poo that just couldn't wait til I got back to lane.) and that, much like Heimer's turrets, if you outrange them even a little they're free gold. Enemies seem to very quickly reach the point where they can very safely put your gimmicks on cooldown for no cost to them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

All league champions are expensive

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
I find the tentacle metagame really fun. Enemies generally have to expose themselves to kill them, at which point I can E them and get some damage in. And then they're spawning tentacles for me that constantly try to kill them. I imagine it's frustrating for them but it's a lot of fun for me. The lack of hard cc is definitely an issue, though, and I have yet to run into someone who isn't incredibly down to tango in my lair - at least the first time. They learn pretty quickly to run away. It's also very satisfying when someone tries to gank me, or I'm playing 2v1, and I sit in a wall bush and wait for them to get close, then casually ult and kill them both. Didn't have that experience too often in dotes, iirc. Haha.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Secret Sion strategy: Start with a Doran's Ring, go with his E as your first ability and max it first. Then just scream minions into your opponent and bully them out of lane.

Also I'm a freak who likes to max Olaf's E first. I find better luck just using the true damage to overpower my opponent then landing axes.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

there is hidden value in being unable to kill people because they refuse to fight you, in that you are mobile zone control and you can abuse that to push enemies away to bad spots where they are unable to defend objectives, or just forcing down a lane and being a giant problem that the enemy has to find a way to deal with

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it's perfectly viable to terrify the poo poo out of your lane opponent and just say either you fight me or you don't get to play League of Legends today. Illaoi gets a bonus to that because if they bring a friend to fight you you get to press R and kill them as well.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Doctor “M” is the best champ in the entire game.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

Yeah it's perfectly viable to terrify the poo poo out of your lane opponent and just say either you fight me or you don't get to play League of Legends today. Illaoi gets a bonus to that because if they bring a friend to fight you you get to press R and kill them as well.

I've never felt Illaoi was really oppressive enough to do that. When I play against her I generally just keep up on CS, don't tend to lose much tower damage, and pray that my jungler doesn't hard commit on her next to a wall. It's not like Jayce or something who will murder you and your tower and deny you CS constantly.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

njsykora posted:

This is a big part of the reason Illaoi's so good in toplane: she generates insane pressure without a lot of ways to effectively relieve that pressure. Because of how good she is in 1v2s at level 6+, she can continually force onto the turret, meaning that you either have to try and force a jungle gank on her (which usually ends poorly), call mid and jungle up to 3-man her (which takes away pressure on mid and bot), or concede the turret, all three of which are pretty poo poo options.

Her big downside is that she needs to use this pressure effectively to end the game before enemy ranged threats scale up sufficiently to just dumpster her without her being able to close the gap. Past about 35 minutes, her winrate absolutely plummets.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think a lot of Illaoi's strength at least at low mmr is entirely psychological.

You know when you are going against her that if she lands her E it's going to suck unless you can win the trade and tank the tentacles. You know that trying to kill her tentacles puts you in a great position to for her E to land. Speaking from my experience as a bad Teemo player, she terrifies me because it feels like my choices are to either fight her and probably lose or just not get to play. Trying to dodge her Q and her E to get CS while she is trying her best to get in your face is scary, because if you fail to dodge the E just once you get to miss several waves because she'll clear the current wave and be ready to threaten you with the next E after you're done playing the spirit vessel minigame. Once you've hosed up and been hit once, you know she can hit you with it and you're scared. And it sucks to have to play that minigame of retreating to dodge the spirit tentacles.

I'm sure better players than me know how to read the fights better, and/or play better champions into her, but for a squishy guy whose main defense is "run away slightly faster than normal" and whose main offense is "poke them," Illaoi is not a fun lady to fight.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

any junglers who are above plat 3 want to play in a tournament series on sunday nights at 6 CST

theres a prize pool if we get to playoffs and win
I'm Plat 4 after placements / was Plat 2 prior to the restart. I will hit the enemy mans and punch the monsters in the forest area.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Mikujin posted:

I'm Plat 4 after placements / was Plat 2 prior to the restart. I will hit the enemy mans and punch the monsters in the forest area.

I'm steadily moving up from S2. I tried stopwatch/futures market on Udyr, it was okay. Cheap Shot/Relentless or Celerity/Water Walking still better, I think. You have to mega gently caress up to not be able to afford Tiamat first back without Future's Market and I'm not convinced the one use Stop Watch is that clutch, at least at my division.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The cycle of life and death continues. We will live, they will die.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Addamere posted:

I think a lot of Illaoi's strength at least at low mmr is entirely psychological.

You know when you are going against her that if she lands her E it's going to suck unless you can win the trade and tank the tentacles. You know that trying to kill her tentacles puts you in a great position to for her E to land. Speaking from my experience as a bad Teemo player, she terrifies me because it feels like my choices are to either fight her and probably lose or just not get to play. Trying to dodge her Q and her E to get CS while she is trying her best to get in your face is scary, because if you fail to dodge the E just once you get to miss several waves because she'll clear the current wave and be ready to threaten you with the next E after you're done playing the spirit vessel minigame. Once you've hosed up and been hit once, you know she can hit you with it and you're scared. And it sucks to have to play that minigame of retreating to dodge the spirit tentacles.

I'm sure better players than me know how to read the fights better, and/or play better champions into her, but for a squishy guy whose main defense is "run away slightly faster than normal" and whose main offense is "poke them," Illaoi is not a fun lady to fight.

This is actually just Illaoi at all ranks. Some champs can handle her shove better than others, and some can even fight her, but the universal truth for all of these cases is that "Dodge her E" is a mandatory requirement for coming out ahead/being able to duel her.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I thought Illaoi was more reasonable to fight against back when she had to level Q first to unlock more of her damage, but they reworked her so that E max doesn't have as much of a damage trade-off and now the windows to punish her are smaller because her E cooldown gets low during laning phase. As an Irelia player, it went from a fairly even matchup to the hardest matchup in the game after that rework, and i suspect that's also true for other melee champs with no ranged fallback.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

That’s true she’s a very effective lane bully and irelia isn’t great currently. On the other hand, the sky is naught but dying stars.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yes mr. ornn, the doctor will see you now

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

njsykora posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttKJwvFIgw

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
New Swain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHJ0JeHzIQ

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
https://na.leagueoflegends.com/us/featured/champion-reveal-swain

Full reveal info

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

They should have kept his cane.

I like the ability reworks a lot though

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It looks like a much healthier implementation of his core concept (battle mage that wants to outlast you). My only real complaint is that his generic walk animation looks a bit stiff, but, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

He looks ok. I feel like he's what Vlad would be if they released him now.