Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Booze was an incredibly destructive force in my life. Weed is proving to be much better at keeping me chill. I'm even letting nicotine gum go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
May here. If a no-poo poo WW3 were to kick off, that'd be one thing, but I'd be pretty peeved if I were called back just for Korean War 2.0 (which is incredibly unlikely anyway).

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Booze was an incredibly destructive force in my life. Weed is proving to be much better at keeping me chill. I'm even letting nicotine gum go.

This. Except I quit dipping instead of gum.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
“Hey dude, I know you’re leaving for a month but we need you to help pitch this LPD late in the afternoon of the day before you leave, thanks!”

Taking care of soldiers, hooah!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are there any recreational dispensaries in Massachusetts yet?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Quitting cigarettes would be amazing

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Congrats on avoiding the next Korean war

lol if you believe that

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

“Hey dude, I know you’re leaving for a month but we need you to help pitch this LPD late in the afternoon of the day before you leave, thanks!”

*al pacino voice* Taking care of soldiers, hooah!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mods change my name posted:

Quitting cigarettes would be amazing

I know this sounds stupid but the best time to do it is when you’re sick. Your body just kinda lumps the withdrawal symptoms in. It’s how I quit smoking and dipping twice. There was a ten year or so ago between addictions so I wasn’t like “I quit!” For two days and called it successful.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Just talking to my main man VIva on the Discord and was just thinking about how absolutely hosed up like the lack of any medical privacy is the norm (and of course why soldiers end up killing themselves)

You're SPC GOON and you are drinking 4LOKOs in your barracks in front of a webcam for random internet strangers. You wake up and decide you have a problem, you're depressed and you drink for attention or w/e you're super lonely who fuckign knows, but youre depressed. You want to be a good soldier though so you know saying mental health is a huge red flag and you just dont do it.

OR

You decide that yes, enough is enough and I'm going to seek help.

Lets see the correct procedure for that is to

A) Tell your first line supervisor you want to go to sick call. He interrogates you as to why. You tell him he says get hosed, get back in formation you pussy bitch. OR he says ok SPC GOON lets go to the orderly room. Then you got to tell the 1SG, probably in front of an orderly room clerk, why you want to go to the doctor. He berates you or whatever but hell we have training on this now so we better let him go I hope he doesnt kill himself keep an eye on him!!!!

then you go to the doctor and thats its own adventure in army medicine that we will skip for now

But back at your unit, the 1sg is telling the Commander. The Commanders like fuuuck now I got to deal with this dumb poo poo and logs onto his computer and sends an email to the Battalion commander just giving him a heads up that he'll h ave to update his bub slides or what the gently caress ever.

So he goes on his slide deck and it has a slide with all the soldiers listed that are considered "HIGH RISK" And puts that on a shared drive out there probably facing the whole internet. That gets briefed in front of a few dozen people and it probably goes all the way up with so many fuckign people seeing your name on a slide for mental health and like why

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah after talking to a therapist about my suicidal ideations I really loved the next day when someone I had never met came up to me and starting talking to me about it all. Thanks Army! :thumbsup:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just loudly announce that I want to get out after 12 years because I hate running and want to smoke pot because literally everyone else in the world can. And that "retirement" isn't worth another decade of wondering if I'll get sent to another war, for a cause I don't support, for a nation I love but can no longer bear to look at when we gently caress.

They don't even know how to reply to that, other than putting me on the pee list every time they have it, and coming up clean because I don't partake because I have self control.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Good, wait until you're out. It's worth it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I always joked about weed and was on 100% of the UAs after switching to the NG. After four years, while doing the monthly duty of sitting in my PTs in one of the classrooms at the armory chugging water so I could piss in a cup (I've always been pee shy, though for some reason only indoors -- on FTXs I could assist the unit in their snow pisswriting no problem) I made a comment along the lines of "Yo, is the reason I'm always here for these "random" UAs because I make all of the weed jokes? I'm literally the only white guy that has to come to all of these." and our dentist, a major, jabbed me in the shin and leaned in with a serious look on his face and went "actually, yes it is. Shhhh."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just talking to my main man VIva on the Discord and was just thinking about how absolutely hosed up like the lack of any medical privacy is the norm (and of course why soldiers end up killing themselves)

You're SPC GOON and you are drinking 4LOKOs in your barracks in front of a webcam for random internet strangers. You wake up and decide you have a problem, you're depressed and you drink for attention or w/e you're super lonely who fuckign knows, but youre depressed. You want to be a good soldier though so you know saying mental health is a huge red flag and you just dont do it.

OR

You decide that yes, enough is enough and I'm going to seek help.

Lets see the correct procedure for that is to

A) Tell your first line supervisor you want to go to sick call. He interrogates you as to why. You tell him he says get hosed, get back in formation you pussy bitch. OR he says ok SPC GOON lets go to the orderly room. Then you got to tell the 1SG, probably in front of an orderly room clerk, why you want to go to the doctor. He berates you or whatever but hell we have training on this now so we better let him go I hope he doesnt kill himself keep an eye on him!!!!

then you go to the doctor and thats its own adventure in army medicine that we will skip for now

But back at your unit, the 1sg is telling the Commander. The Commanders like fuuuck now I got to deal with this dumb poo poo and logs onto his computer and sends an email to the Battalion commander just giving him a heads up that he'll h ave to update his bub slides or what the gently caress ever.

So he goes on his slide deck and it has a slide with all the soldiers listed that are considered "HIGH RISK" And puts that on a shared drive out there probably facing the whole internet. That gets briefed in front of a few dozen people and it probably goes all the way up with so many fuckign people seeing your name on a slide for mental health and like why

this post simultaneously made me laugh out loud and intensely angry

gently caress the army forever

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I always joked about weed and was on 100% of the UAs after switching to the NG. After four years, while doing the monthly duty of sitting in my PTs in one of the classrooms at the armory chugging water so I could piss in a cup (I've always been pee shy, though for some reason only indoors -- on FTXs I could assist the unit in their snow pisswriting no problem) I made a comment along the lines of "Yo, is the reason I'm always here for these "random" UAs because I make all of the weed jokes? I'm literally the only white guy that has to come to all of these." and our dentist, a major, jabbed me in the shin and leaned in with a serious look on his face and went "actually, yes it is. Shhhh."

That's really interesting about your pee shyness. Does it matter how many people are watching?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pee shyness wasn't my issue. My problem was that apparently I am the only human being in existence that wakes up and immediately takes a piss before running. So when Top got the brilliant idea to surprise everyone at morning PT formation I'm on a completely empty bladder and guess what mother fucker, chugging canteen after canteen until I vomit water isn't going to fix that in ten minutes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

When I was in basic :bahgawd: we would line up to pee at a trough and the DS would stand at the end. They could observe 5 guys at a time that way. Very efficient. :colbert:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
WE ALL PISSED IN EACH OTHERS FACES IN A CIRCLE AND THE FIRST ONE TO SPUTTER COUGH CHOKE OR OTHERWISE MAKE NOISE WAS SELECTED TO BE BEATEN WITH PADLOCKS HOOAH MOTHERFUCKERS

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

WE ALL PISSED IN EACH OTHERS FACES IN A CIRCLE AND THE FIRST ONE TO SPUTTER COUGH CHOKE OR OTHERWISE MAKE NOISE WAS SELECTED TO BE BEATEN WITH PADLOCKS HOOAH MOTHERFUCKERS

So you're chemical?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

So you're chemical?

I was :smith:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

:smuggo:

I also went to Fort McClellan.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

THAT'S NOTHING WE HAD TO ALASKAN TESTICLE PULL WITH THE UPL AND HE WAS A MEAN MOTHERFUCKER

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

bird food bathtub posted:

Pee shyness wasn't my issue. My problem was that apparently I am the only human being in existence that wakes up and immediately takes a piss before running. So when Top got the brilliant idea to surprise everyone at morning PT formation I'm on a completely empty bladder and guess what mother fucker, chugging canteen after canteen until I vomit water isn't going to fix that in ten minutes.

Will you pee for me

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

spacetoaster posted:

:smuggo:

I also went to Fort McClellan.

Goddamn, why does the Army have so many bases named for Confederate generals?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Good, wait until you're out. It's worth it.

This. My friend got railroaded out. She’s dead now. Don’t know what she popped hot for, probably opiates.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

psydude posted:

Are there any recreational dispensaries in Massachusetts yet?

not yet.

you can get delivery on craigslist or w/e

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

Lost cause bullshit and local commanders were allowed to name their new bases.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah but you knwo if they wanted to name it Fort Powerbottom Paradise you sure as poo poo know they'd have told them no.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

McNally posted:

I always told the southern guys that we were an occupying force in a nation we defeated, just like our bases in Germany, Japan, and Iraq

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

this post simultaneously made me laugh out loud and intensely angry

gently caress the army forever

This poo poo makes me angry as well. I’m in still, and as you can tell by my posting history, and an idiot. poo poo doesn’t need to be like this. I had a NCO come to me about how he was having trouble. I told him the few sources he could go to, suggesting MFLC since they don’t have to report back to the command. Outside of checking up on him to see if he needed anything additional, that was it. No bullshit slides, no telling the BC.

People make this arbitrarily hard for no reason when they could just resolve the situation by asking what is wrong and how you can help.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I know. That was a dig at McClellan.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And sometimes the medical professionals don’t want to talk to the command at all because they’re so often walking HIPAA violations, so you occasionally get serious crimes, suicides, or murders where command and medical each knew about half of the problem but no one put two and two together.

The best way I saw this handled by a unit was only talking “high risk” in a room of Co commander, BN command team, chaplain, MFLC, psychiatrist, medical doctor, and JAG (if required), often BN XO. No other staffers at all to gossip, no one from the higher command. JAG would keep people straight if they stared suggesting stuff that trampled rights. BN command team would basically embarrass any company commander who threw someone on high risk or pulled them to a bullshit position simply for getting counseling or making one mistake without aggravating circumstances.

Also anything relating to a soldier’s family members was either vocal only or if it required being put on a computer, controlled even more tightly than described above. This once resulted in some field officer of the day calling me up and demanding the ID of a couple of victimized minors to put in a post tracking file. He didn’t like my answer that the only people I’d share that with were the medical providers and CID, but I won that fight.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
When soldiers come to me for non-physical help, I often tend to get them to, or contacted by, or somehow involved with MFLC, since I’ve seen first hand how awesome and well they seem to handle things. Before I got all hosed up I had a rifleman who was having serious family issues to go to an MFLC and he wanted me to go with him, and we all met at a pasta place off-post, miles away from any americans.

It was really cool, and the guy went to see the counselor after that first time, too. Without me on the future times. It hasn’t even been the only time, far from it, that I’ve involved them.

MFLC seems really cool and the total disconnect from the uniformed side seems to help a bunch.

Luckily at our BAS in the morning you can get a slip to give to your supervisor, and you don’t have to tell poo poo to anyone, not even me, if you wanna go see medical.

On the contrast, sick call at the battalion next door is completely reversed asshattery ritual with the infantry sergeants ”triaging” or whatever the gently caress they say they are doing, and it’s most gayest thing I’ve witnessed.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Vahakyla posted:

When soldiers come to me for non-physical help, I often tend to get them to, or contacted by, or somehow involved with MFLC, since I’ve seen first hand how awesome and well they seem to handle things. Before I got all hosed up I had a rifleman who was having serious family issues to go to an MFLC and he wanted me to go with him, and we all met at a pasta place off-post, miles away from any americans.

It was really cool, and the guy went to see the counselor after that first time, too. Without me on the future times. It hasn’t even been the only time, far from it, that I’ve involved them.

MFLC seems really cool and the total disconnect from the uniformed side seems to help a bunch.

Luckily at our BAS in the morning you can get a slip to give to your supervisor, and you don’t have to tell poo poo to anyone, not even me, if you wanna go see medical.

On the contrast, sick call at the battalion next door is completely reversed asshattery ritual with the infantry sergeants ”triaging” or whatever the gently caress they say they are doing, and it’s most gayest thing I’ve witnessed.

MFLC is one of the best resources the Army ever developed. I would carry around about 5 of their cards on me at all times. Got one of my mechanics some treatment for his alcoholism because of those guys.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I just loudly announce that I want to get out after 12 years because I hate running and want to smoke pot because literally everyone else in the world can. And that "retirement" isn't worth another decade of wondering if I'll get sent to another war, for a cause I don't support, for a nation I love but can no longer bear to look at when we gently caress.

They don't even know how to reply to that, other than putting me on the pee list every time they have it, and coming up clean because I don't partake because I have self control.

Not to mention your monthly VA compensation is probably > reserve pension (unless you're like an O5 or something) anyway. That's worth 8 years to me.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 23, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also MFLC can see someone 10 times for an issue. But with a lot of MFLC's that means they're willing to see you 10 times for "work stress" then 10 times for "family stress" then 10 times for "financial stress" and so on.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

DoktorLoken posted:

Not mention your monthly VA compensation is probably > reserve pension (unless you're like an O5 or something) anyway. That's worth 8 years to me.

Especially when you consider that the full amount of your VA compensation is deducted from your pension.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

mlmp08 posted:

Also MFLC can see someone 10 times for an issue. But with a lot of MFLC's that means they're willing to see you 10 times for "work stress" then 10 times for "family stress" then 10 times for "financial stress" and so on.

Yeah, when I was at the TBI clinic at Benning, the 3 different therapists I was seeing said something to the tune of: yo, we can only see you X times thanks to some dickhead, but after that we can basically discharge you and then readmit you.

There's people in the system that actually try to help, in direct opposition to the army who will either gently caress you for fun at a low level, and those evil fuckers who will institutionally gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
When I am being a line medic, the MFLC office being very close to us, and the americans and italians both working therr being super receptive to phone calls and such, it just makes it, at least from my perspective, the best resource. The fact that they are happy to meet you off post at and coffee shot or pasta place, and that they stay so separate from the circus itself is the key. I get guys who’d be deathly afraid to bring their marriage issue to anyone’s attention, but somehow the medic seems fine, and I talk with them as much as I can, and I’ve had times where I can’t convince them to even visit anyone, but I can finally get them to be okay with the fact that someone just calls them. Then I call the super cool ladies and just tell them a guys first name and phone number, and they know me, so I just say that this person needs someone to talk to about their issues. They’ll call them in a day or two, and ask if they’d like to go grab a snack, or take a walk in the park or some poo poo.

MFLC really just owns bones and I have no idea who they hire to be so cool.