Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Do people even literally self-host anymore? As in have server racks in their very own home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ganson posted:

I don't know, if amazon comes out with an AWS roll-your-own-media-site service I could see it happening, especially if they find out a way to make it easy to monetize (either through them directly or through some third party partners).

"The only problem is the problem people are having on YouTube, once we solve that it's golden! Oh and by the way you need to pay upfront for this unlike YouTube which is free."

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

fishmech posted:

"The only problem is the problem people are having on YouTube, once we solve that it's golden! Oh and by the way you need to pay upfront for this unlike YouTube which is free."

If you're looking at self hosting you've kinda already made the decision to spend some money. I'd also be looking at it as more of an optional model than an outright replacement. Youtube isn't going anywhere, even if it's eventually only the megacorps and legacies making any ad revenue off it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do people even literally self-host anymore? As in have server racks in their very own home?

Depends. Are they turbonerds and/or running on the scale of major corporations?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not except for the tiniest of sites or dumb projects. I left a raspberry pi open to the world just to watch and graph the ssh attempts by would-be hackers for a long time.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

fishmech posted:

Beginner YouTube people aren't being shut out though. They're just not picking up the maybe $60, more likely $20 or less, across a year in advertising that they might have gotten if they were real lucky with their level of viewership.

My impression was that the issue isn't the pittance that small viewership channels will be losing out on now that they don't qualify for advertising, but rather that Youtube (understandably) prioritizes monetized content when making recommendations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ganson posted:

If you're looking at self hosting you've kinda already made the decision to spend some money. I'd also be looking at it as more of an optional model than an outright replacement. Youtube isn't going anywhere, even if it's eventually only the megacorps and legacies making any ad revenue off it.

Once again, your revenue situation is going to be even worse off of YouTube. While you try to afford all your extra hosting costs on top of the already existing costs to produce your content. It's not a winning strategy for the people supposedly being pushed out, and if you're huge enough for that to stop being an issue you're probably huge enough to be able to throw some weight around with YouTube.

Wallet posted:

My impression was that the issue isn't the pittance that small viewership channels will be losing out on now that they don't qualify for advertising, but rather that Youtube (understandably) prioritizes monetized content when making recommendations.

YouTube also prioritizes a bewildering variety of other factors in its search algorithms. Ultimately though, a very small viewership channel whether monetized or not is likely to have their recommendation rankings stay low, unless/until something unusual happens where they're the only one covering a specific topic, or a particular video gets a lot of views from outside sources, etc. And when that happens then they can become a monetized channel and they can have that in the rankings - it builds on itself.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

fishmech posted:

YouTube also prioritizes a bewildering variety of other factors in its search algorithms. Ultimately though, a very small viewership channel whether monetized or not is likely to have their recommendation rankings stay low, unless/until something unusual happens where they're the only one covering a specific topic, or a particular video gets a lot of views from outside sources, etc. And when that happens then they can become a monetized channel and they can have that in the rankings - it builds on itself.

I don't disagree, that just seems to be the primary point of contention.

People seem to be missing that YouTube's willingness to host videos that no one is watching is hugely reducing the barrier to entry for new/small content producers that want to do video. Producers without a sufficient audience for YouTube to care about them aren't large enough for advertisers to want to deal with them directly; the only way that someone like Amazon can fix that is by acting in the same intermediary capacity that YouTube already does, at which point they would get the same pressure to moderate the content they are serving adds for that YouTube has received. The basic, and presently unsolved, issue is that it isn't worth the time/money for anyone involved to vet or moderate content with minimal reach.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

shrike82 posted:

There's no real point setting up a platform for small time content creators that have demonstrated they don't generate enough ad dollars to bother about.

Yeah. I drank the "Long Tail" Koolaide in 2006 and launched a content portal where independent artists could post and sell video clips, wallpapers and ringtones to mobile phones (shortcodes and all). Even creating stuff so they could sell on MySpace etc.

Almost all the sales was one artist selling Christian Rap and only because he was the one artist who self promoted.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Wallet posted:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72851?hl=en&ref_topic=6029709

quote:

Monetization status is not used to inform how videos display on YouTube. If your channel is no longer in the YouTube Partner Program after February 2018, it does not mean your videos will be limited in search and discovery.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

I think the issue is nobody believes that. It's pretty weasel-worded too:

"is not used to inform how videos display" can translate to "we don't put a gold border on the monitized channels"
"does not mean your videos will be limited in search and discovery" doesn't mean that monitized content is not promoted in search and discovery, just that you aren't penalized in the algorithm.

YT just wants to promote TOP TEN REASONS WHY YOUTUBE'S ALGORITHM IS GARBAGE AT PROMOTING CONTENT I WOULD LIKE videos so I've found myself not going there to browse, only going if I'm looking for a specific thing or following someone's link. I guess they're making the most money on that format, but it's so awful I can't see the long-term prospects being rosy.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Uber ignores security bug that makes its two-factor authentication useless

quote:

But that two-factor code can be bypassed, making the second layer of security protection effectively useless, said Karan Saini, a New Delhi-based security researcher, who found the bug.

He filed a bug report with HackerOne, which administers Uber's bug bounty, but his report was quickly rejected. Uber marked the bypass bug report as "informative," which according to documentation, means it contains "useful information but did not warrant an immediate action or a fix."

"This isn't a particularly severe report and is likely expected behavior," said Rob Fletcher, security engineering manager at Uber, in his correspondence with Saini about the bug report.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ganson posted:

I don't know, if amazon comes out with an AWS roll-your-own-media-site service I could see it happening, especially if they find out a way to make it easy to monetize (either through them directly or through some third party partners).

There is a very good reason why Bachman always uttered "those loving AWS fees" or swapped it with "azure bill is killing me" on silicon valley. Its loving e x p e n s i v e. AWS has CDN and video delivery tools already but you need to ensure you have a lot of money to burn to create content on to stop the bleeding.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

incoherent posted:

There is a very good reason why Bachman always uttered "those loving AWS fees" or swapped it with "azure bill is killing me" on silicon valley. Its loving e x p e n s i v e. AWS has CDN and video delivery tools already but you need to ensure you have a lot of money to burn to create content on to stop the bleeding.

Which is why you want to build a distributed system via IPFS or some sort.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Harik posted:

I think the issue is nobody believes that. It's pretty weasel-worded too:

"is not used to inform how videos display" can translate to "we don't put a gold border on the monitized channels"
"does not mean your videos will be limited in search and discovery" doesn't mean that monitized content is not promoted in search and discovery, just that you aren't penalized in the algorithm.

It doesn't matter whether people believe it, it's the truth. Youtube doesn't prioritize videos in search based on the monetization status. Monetization status is just a side-effect of having a channel that ranks highly due to the factors that actually matter, such as low abandon rates, channel authority, embeds, engagement, etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

[dumb stuff deleted]

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Why would Youtube care if you monetize your video or not? They serve their own ads on all videos, so every video is monetized for them. It's far more likely that the algorithm serves up videos that would deliver them maximum profits based on how many users subscribe to a channel or continue watching other videos after watching a particular video.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

They serve their own ads on all videos, so every video is monetized for them.

This part is incorrect

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jose Valasquez posted:

This part is incorrect

I'll concede that I don't actually know how Youtube ads work, and I use ad blockers so I only see them when I'm on my phone, but I certainly get served up ads on small time non-monetized channels. It may not be every single time, but it seems like every couple videos YT will serve up an ad, so my point still stands. Why would YT care to prioritize a video solely because it is monetized?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Uhhhh hey everyone can't the distribution and payment problems be trivially solved here by just throwing blockchains at them???

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Steve French posted:

Uhhhh hey everyone can't the distribution and payment problems be trivially solved here by just throwing blockchains at them???

That's the attitude!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm launching Tubecoin, video distribution simplified using blockchain technology. PM me your bank account info to get in on the ground floor.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'll concede that I don't actually know how Youtube ads work, and I use ad blockers so I only see them when I'm on my phone, but I certainly get served up ads on small time non-monetized channels. It may not be every single time, but it seems like every couple videos YT will serve up an ad, so my point still stands. Why would YT care to prioritize a video solely because it is monetized?

The person that uploads the video chooses to monetize or not

Every Youtube video has an image ad on the right, but overlays, cards and skippable video ads can be enabled to disabled by the uploader.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

FCKGW posted:

The person that uploads the video chooses to monetize or not

The exception* being if your video has material that is copyrighted, then the owner of the copyright can monetize your video anyway

*That I'm aware of

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm launching Tubecoin, video distribution simplified using blockchain technology. PM me your bank account info to get in on the ground floor.

does it have smart contracts too? If yes, please take my money.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Steve French posted:

Not unless you solve the problem that people hate ads and don't want to pay for content.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

VideoGameVet posted:

Not unless you solve the problem that people hate ads and don't want to pay for content.

Full Communism Now

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

People have been incredibly willing to pay for content. Subscription based streaming video services and digital distribution are massive. People even pay to poo poo post on this forum.

It just needs to actually have some perceived value. People generally aren't willing to pay for what they think is worthless garbage.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Warbadger posted:

People have been incredibly willing to pay for content. Subscription based streaming video services and digital distribution are massive. People even pay to poo poo post on this forum.

It just needs to actually have some perceived value. People generally aren't willing to pay for what they think is worthless garbage.

The problem I have is that while I am willing to subscribe to the NYT, I am unwilling to subscribe to the WaPo just to read one article.

Hence the reliance on really annoying ads on most sites.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

VideoGameVet posted:

The problem I have is that while I am willing to subscribe to the NYT, I am unwilling to subscribe to the WaPo just to read one article.

Hence the reliance on really annoying ads on most sites.

It’d be nice if the papers got together and created some sort of news iTunes, so you could pay a small fee per premium news article read (say 10c.) It gets added up and charged once a month. Even the biggest news junkie can’t afford to subscribe to 3 papers. The Guardian has huge influence due to no paywall.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

It’d be nice if the papers got together and created some sort of news iTunes, so you could pay a small fee per premium news article read (say 10c.) It gets added up and charged once a month. Even the biggest news junkie can’t afford to subscribe to 3 papers. The Guardian has huge influence due to no paywall.

This would solve a lot of problems, but there's still a good segment that believes "everything on the internet should be free" and I believe over 50% of people are now running Ad Blockers.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

This would solve a lot of problems, but there's still a good segment that believes "everything on the internet should be free" and I believe over 50% of people are now running Ad Blockers.

Yes, because ads are generally annoying, harmful, and actively hinder access to content. Liking ads or not has nothing to do with an unwillingness to pay for content.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Warbadger posted:

Yes, because ads are generally annoying, harmful, and actively hinder access to content. Liking ads or not has nothing to do with an unwillingness to pay for content.

That is correct but the reason websites rely on the ads is the lack of a decent micropayment system and users willing to use it.

This has been an issue for decades.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

VideoGameVet posted:

I am willing to subscribe to the NYT
Still?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Blendle does this, but you have to read through their app/website. It's a pain finding an article you want to read and then digging through the app to find it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoGameVet posted:

That is correct but the reason websites rely on the ads is the lack of a decent micropayment system and users willing to use it.

There can be no such thing as a "decent micropayment system". Very small purchases like that really only work when someone has a pre existing billing arrangement with a provider and thus the provider can reliably consolidate the costs across an extended billing period.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

fishmech posted:

There can be no such thing as a "decent micropayment system". Very small purchases like that really only work when someone has a pre existing billing arrangement with a provider and thus the provider can reliably consolidate the costs across an extended billing period.

my man, have you heard the good news

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

fishmech posted:

If anyone figures it out, they will become very rich.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm sure that with every single other aspect of media and consumption on the internet, from movies to music, to magazines and books moving to an unlimited monthly subscription model, that newspapers and websites moving to a pay-per-read model is a great idea and the thing that will surely save them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGameVet posted:

I hear ya, but the #adtech situation is so bad nowadays that it's almost irresponsible not to use a blocker.