Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

Anyone with "Hulk" in their name except for Hulkbusters, the Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, Doc Samson, Mighty Thorr, and Wolverage. That's the list.

There's also arguably Skaar, though that's probably more purely genetic than from direct irradiation. Lyra's in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Man. There's a game this Monday where they are taking on the old school Galactus scenario, but making it a sealed using old-rear end Origins boosters.

I can see the appeal of that, but I don't know if I want to drive 25 minutes for that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CapnAndy posted:

Anyone with "Hulk" in their name except for Hulkbusters, the Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, Doc Samson, Mighty Thorr, and Wolverage. That's the list.

Hulkbusters were human. Leader, Abomination, A-Bomb, and Samson are gamma-irradiated.

Thorr and Wolverage (along with Hulkpool, Hulkmariner, Hulklops, Winter Hulk, and Icehulk) are Hulked-Out Heroes.

Hulkling is not a irradiated Hulk, I think.

ManiacClown posted:

There's also arguably Skaar, though that's probably more purely genetic than from direct irradiation. Lyra's in the same boat.

Yeah, that's true - Skaar was never exposed to the radiation. Same for Lyra - but that discounts Maestro.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Hulkling is not a irradiated Hulk, I think.

This is true. He's a (half-?)Skrull.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'd argue Skaar's genetics would be very different if his father wasn't gamma-irradiated, so Skaar would count.

Also, I think Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk (and Red Leader, I think) were not gamma-irradiated - their transformation was through some other process that the Intelligencia cooked up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

I'd argue Skaar's genetics would be very different if his father wasn't gamma-irradiated, so Skaar would count.

Also, I think Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk (and Red Leader, I think) were not gamma-irradiated - their transformation was through some other process that the Intelligencia cooked up.

Didn't they create the Red Hulks using radiation siphoned off from Banner Hulk at the end of World War Hulk?

Saying Hulk repeatedly is weird.

Hulk hulk hulk.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Red posted:

Didn't they create the Red Hulks using radiation siphoned off from Banner Hulk at the end of World War Hulk?

Saying Hulk repeatedly is weird.

Hulk hulk hulk.

It looks like you're right. I'd forgotten the specifics, I just knew it was kinda different... what with being all red and all, but it's gamma plus MODOK experimentation and such.

Hulka Hulka Burnin' Love.

One day, maybe we'll get The Harpy, which was the first time Betty Ross was transformed by MODOK and gamma radiation into a monster - a green bird lady.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Our usual tournament got canceled today, and with lower-than-average turnout expected, I decided to run a Royal Rumble scenario that I'd been kicking around.

600 points, no figures over 150, must have 6 figures. No figures were considered friendly, even if they were controlled by the same person.

We ended up with 5 players, which got us the perfect 30-competitor field. I wanted to keep participants and entry order a secret until someone entered, so everybody wrote down their 6 figures and then drew numbers for their entry order. Everything took place inside the ring of the Sporting Arena map, of course. Figures acted in order of entry, highest number first, and once everybody had a chance to act, the next figure entered, being placed adjacent to the ropes. Eliminations happened on KO, or if your knock back would take you over the ropes and you rolled under your click number on 2d6.

This thing was a freaking blast. A Dire Wraith Queen ruled the early part of the match, entering at number 6 and KOing Spider-Man, Hogun and a Hulk to gain a slew of extra powers. She was the ironman, lasting into the twenties before finally being eliminated. Dr. Stark and Peace Machine both earned a lot of ire for their abilities that nerfed the whole ring, but the true Andre spot fell to Black Lantern Flash, who saw an alliance of five other figures form to eliminate him. Seven(?!) failed Hypersonic break-away rolls did him no favors, and he eventually got taken out by the alliance. Another highlight was the M-113 Creature getting the Bushwacker spot, entering the ring and immediately getting Quaked by Hulkpool, rolling a 2 on his check to stay in the ring, and tumbling over the top rope in seconds. In the end, it comes as no surprise that Skurge, he who stood alone on the top rope and faced down twenty-nine other competitors, had the last laugh.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

That's pretty awesome. Although I wonder - what was Skurge's entry number? And how would it be handled if someone ended up with only their figs in the ring at any given time?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

That's pretty awesome. Although I wonder - what was Skurge's entry number? And how would it be handled if someone ended up with only their figs in the ring at any given time?

Skurge showed up at #20, I believe, and immediately dropped his Last Stand. He drew a lot of focus early, but then people saw all the healing that Flash, God of Death was doing, and that took the heat off from him. He was down to click 5 or 6, by the end, but nobody could survive adjacent to him for long, and there wasn't a whole lot of ranged options available, with the ring so full.

Only time that all the figures in the ring were controlled by the same person was for the final 2, when Skurge duked it out with Odin. If it had happened earlier, well, even though the Rumble is everyone for themselves, strange alliances do crop up. Nobody was obligated to attack their own guys, but it did happen a couple times with Quake or Poison, and the Dire Wraith Queen was considering killing an allied Dale Suderman to gain his powers.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I’m running our event tomorrow and then immediately going to the Royal Rumbe afterwards. I wanted to do a royal rumble scenario and holy poo poo that one sounds awesome but I went with a different wrestling trope.

“By gawd that’s _______’s music!”

500 points. All ranges are 0. Hypersonic speed will be a full move charge. All effects with a min range will have a range of 1 instead of their normal minimum. Colossal Retaliations have been banned from ringside. No resources or ID’s. Use of the boxing ring is encouraged but not mandatory. Once per game at a random time during the round announced by the judge you will be able to add up to 200 points of reinforcements to your team. It can be one figure or a bunch of figures. If your team is KO’d prior to this announcement you can immediately bring in your reinforcements.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It should be mandated that the sound of glass breaking is played from someone's phone whenever reinforcements come in.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

It should be mandated that the sound of glass breaking is played from someone's phone whenever reinforcements come in.

Yeah I’m stealing that

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'm going to steal some of these wrestling events for sometime soon because gently caress I miss our wrestling/clix league.

We had a 600 point resources allowed event the other week, I used Klingons and a Red Lantern battery; one of each of the Away Team Klingons except for the named Uncommon dude (the "Enterprise is a garbage ship" guy and a Bekk, who I had on the sidelines) plus the Butcher-possessed Neg'Var, basically the only Klingon ship from Tactics that wasn't outright terrible. I don't recall the specific play-by-plays but basically I'd dole out constructs, snipe with Neg'Var, then abuse the hell out of Empower and the Captain with HSS. The traits of the Commander and Captain are absurd and makes a decent team into a self-healing push battery, especially when I would roll a 10 on a push to Charge/Blades with a Lt, then roll to heal the push damage and remove both tokens. Good dice make that team a nightmare, and I never even made an attack with Kor to use his plot points. Kang's Barrier was ridiculously useful to shut down Tyrant in one round and M10 Iron man in another. The battery slowed the team down a ton though so I'm eager to try them on their own merits and see how quickly they can tear through opposing forces.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I wanna do that Rumble scenario at some point, though. It sounds awesome.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Oh, man... I hadn't thought about using Tactics ships to represent death from above while the Away Team fights on the ground... do I need to get an Enterprise and a Romulan ship? I've never paid attention to Tactics before.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Steve Vader posted:

Oh, man... I hadn't thought about using Tactics ships to represent death from above while the Away Team fights on the ground... do I need to get an Enterprise and a Romulan ship? I've never paid attention to Tactics before.

Romulans were far and away the best Tactics ships; lots of Stealth and modifiying powers, their TA is budget Precision Strike before that power even existed, and most of their ships have good to amazing stats for the points. Supplementing an away team, or vice versa, would only improve an already amazing force.

The Federation gets shafted on air support though, as the away team figures have the Starfleet Keyword and the ships have Federation so you can't make an actual themed team. That said, the Federation ships have a wide variety of quality options and make the second best force to use in regular clix matches after Romulans.

I wish the Borg and Dominion were better than they are but there's a lot of awkward dial design and flagging values on most of those ships that keep them from seeing their full potential.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Morand posted:

I’m running our event tomorrow and then immediately going to the Royal Rumbe afterwards. I wanted to do a royal rumble scenario and holy poo poo that one sounds awesome but I went with a different wrestling trope.

“By gawd that’s _______’s music!”

500 points. All ranges are 0. Hypersonic speed will be a full move charge. All effects with a min range will have a range of 1 instead of their normal minimum. Colossal Retaliations have been banned from ringside. No resources or ID’s. Use of the boxing ring is encouraged but not mandatory. Once per game at a random time during the round announced by the judge you will be able to add up to 200 points of reinforcements to your team. It can be one figure or a bunch of figures. If your team is KO’d prior to this announcement you can immediately bring in your reinforcements.

So I ended up running this event and playing whoever got the Bye.

I ran the Green World Order.

TMT Maestro at full with enchanted crowbar, Ball and Chain, and Bloodaxe as his trophies
1 Stone man of Saturn at 100
7 Stone Men of Saturn at 20

Reinforcements were 2 100 point stone men.

The best highlight was in round 1 when the Marvel Knights had Superman, God of Strength's music hit and he went after my weenies. Charged into the middle of them on a push and crit missed. They then proceeded to tear him apart over 2 rounds. The stone men really ruled this event with the big guys getting defenses of "Good Luck" and the little guys also hitting like Mac Trucks.

Event was won by Granny and the Female Furies, representing GLOW as per their player. They also had Superman as their backup which won them their final game against a team of lots of poison and penetrating poison.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Anyone do a pre release of Xavier yet? Curious how the set plays

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

Anyone do a pre release of Xavier yet? Curious how the set plays

I was supposed to run ours tonight, but Alliance didn't bother shipping our product. Had a lot of unhappy players, and we had to reschedule for next week.

On the plus side, our store bought us all free pizza to apologize, because our store rocks. And, since not many people had brought figures, we did a Grab Box Battle.

If your store is anything like ours, you've got a big box of extras that anybody can just take. For a Grab Box Battle, we kind of do it up game show style. Set up a snake draft order, and then each player has 45 seconds per point category to find a figure in the 150+, 101-150, 51-100 and 1-50 point ranges. The four figures that you grab are your team, but at the end of each round, the loser gets to choose one of those point categories and trade that figure with their opponent.

First round, I did pretty well with Black Orchid, Dark Deadpool, Owlman and Kalibak. My opponent was happy with his team, so when I beat him he traded his Dark Deadpool for mine. Round two looked scary, against three Hypersonic figures, headed up with Dark World Kurse, but dice went my way and I didn't lose anyone... but when it was over, my opponent traded his Max Mercury for my Owlman, which is NOT a good exchange. Lacking Owlman, I got stomped in the final round by a squad of three Avengers and Major Force.

A disappointing night, but my players made the best of it, and hopefully we'll have our X-Men here in time for some battle royales on Saturday.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrent posted:

If your store is anything like ours, you've got a big box of extras that anybody can just take.
This is... not a bad idea. I may bring in a box to our local place.

Also our pre-release event is scheduled for this Sunday and, well, we're a venue in the Philadelphia suburbs. I'm guessing attendance will be exactly zero, but God knows I won't be there to find out.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

This is... not a bad idea. I may bring in a box to our local place.

Also our pre-release event is scheduled for this Sunday and, well, we're a venue in the Philadelphia suburbs. I'm guessing attendance will be exactly zero, but God knows I won't be there to find out.

It's early though so you won't miss any of the game. I'll be out just for the hell of it.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
Did Battle Royales with Xavier's School today. It's an interesting set for them... kind of slow-going, since you have to constantly be double-checking to see which characters get bonuses when rolling 5s, or attacking first, or whatever. Had enough product to play a couple and still have enough for our proper tournament on Thursday.

First time out, I ran with Penance, Skin, Goldballs, rare Magick, and an X-Student on the Support line. Only truly impressive thing that got pulled was a chase Mr. Sinister, although we did pull two ID cards. After some quick jockeying for position, the battle was well and truly joined. Skin proved to be quite useful, with his 2-square Plasticity providing excellent board control against most figures, although Sinister could teleport out of it, and Icarus's IM: Characters while Charging made him sad. Goldballs put in a surprising amount of work, pumping out damage, giving attack and defense penalties, and destroying walls while the Student kept him healed up. Pretty much just a slobberknocker with no real surprising happenings. I took first, and was able to walk away with Sinister and both ID cards.

At another table, it was learned that Dust pretty much dominates in a battle royale environment. She picked up something like 6 KOs by herself, without having to roll dice.

Second one that I got to play in, I ended up with All-New Wolverine, Synch, Moira MacTaggart, uncommon Iceman, and Anole. Laura (and more specifically, Jonathan) was just a terror. Right off the bat, she ran out, dropped Jonathan, who gutted SR Emma in one shot. The pair of them would go on to just shred whoever they looked at, without ever taking a click. With Synch being able to copy Perplex, I had three available, plus Iceman handing out +1 defense if he hit, and an Outwit from Moira, this was pretty much a cakewalk. Highlight of the game had to be common Beast running up to punch Synch, dropping two 5s for +2 damage, and taking him from top-dial to dead in one shot. Even a crit wouldn't have done that, only a pair of 5s.

Overall pulls were pretty good. Out of 16 boosters, we saw 6 super rares, 2 chases, a prime, and 3 ID cards (all students).

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I did a pre-release and pulled nothing great. Ended up running an X-Men/All New X-Men Team of

Kitty
Angel
Cyclops x 2
Beast
Iceman

The various first class traits helped a bunch in the first 2 rounds, until I ran into a SR Magik/Cypher/Leech/Banshee team in round 3. She just got in my face and made all her rolls and if I hurt her too much she'd just new mutants right back to invincible.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Did my pre-release last night, we opted for three boosters and 400 point teams. I ran with chase Iceman, Moira, first class Angel, an X-Student on TK, and X-Factor Cyke and Beast.

First round I had problems because we played on the Tholian Web Star Trek map and it took me three turns to kill Darwin after he based Iceman and a bunch of others. It was a tie until last action was called and the guy rolled double 5s with his Xfactor Cyke to blast Angel off the face of the earth.

Round 2 he had title Prof and sat in his starting area gathering tokens and healing with x-Men, I said gently caress that noise and TK bombed Iceman out to blast Prof for 5, then easily mopped up with the bonus damage from KOing him. Those clones make excellent attacks when they're tagging people for 3 a piece.

Round 3 vs a deadly team of prime Emma, Gateway, first class and Xfactor Cyke, Mindee, and rare Prof. Again I buffed Iceman to ensure Xavier died on turn two, but he had the high ground and made work of my Cyke. It was a long back and forth but the support I had for Iceman and lots of good Leaderships from Moira ensured Bobby was turning giant and blasting someone every turn. Eventually I whittled down his team to last click Mindee, who managed to kill Beast, Angel, and Moira before I put her down.

This set was fun sealed but not the best time I've ever had. There's a lot of different traits on similar figures and people we're constantly confused about who did what. I'm more excited for the constructed teams I have planned, and for X-Men ID cards.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There's not too many figures I really want but the few that I do want, I am really excited to get and play, that Sprite looks like she'll be annoying as gently caress to play against and I've always had a fondness for that awful, awful costume.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I was allowed to create the scenario for tomorrow's game, so I thought I'd celebrate the release of Black Panther because I'm crazy geeked about it.

I've been loving the music choices in the trailers, so here's the game: 400 point team based on a song by a black artist.

I've been brainstorming quite a bit. My favorite dumb idea is to do Whitney Houston's "My Name Is Not Susan" and play a team of characters that are not named Susan, but chances are I'll do that anyway, so I'm going to make that a bonus.

My leading choice right now is "Say It Loud (I'm Black And I''m Proud)" by James Brown, and playing Muhammad Ali and prominent black superheroes, just to get into the spirit of it, and I feel I have to play Ali. My girlfriend is considering "Single Ladies" and using women with Lantern rings on it, or "Word Up" with characters who have words on their sculpts, like the TV Batman villains and Onomatopeia and Dr. Bong and probably some Deadpool Word Balloon characters.

If you wanted to use Ice-T's "Colors," who would you put on that team besides Crazy Quilt, Rainbow Raider and Unicorn Deadpool? What teams would you consider?

Other thoughts: STOP click figs for "2 Legit 2 Quit." Characters who start with G for "Nothin' But A G Thing." Heroes named John for "Johnny Be Good."

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Steve Vader posted:

Other thoughts: STOP click figs for "2 Legit 2 Quit."

Make it characters who have exactly two stop clicks. Alternately, if it's Golden you could do White Lanterns.

Tonight was 300 Modern. When it's 300 Modern I forget what fucks are much less how to give them because I know I'm going to see meta-rear end bullshit. I ran WI#002 Iron Man, WI#022 Dr. Stark, and TMT#018 Thor along with the Enchanted Crowbar because I thought the format was the XXS prerelease but that was last weekend. As such, I built a team in 5 minutes because I was going to get my rear end handed to me anyway. That happened. Next week is 800 Golden Age Limited. We've adopted the ROC format definitions, with limited meaning the following aren't allowed:
  • Resources
  • figures larger than a Peanut base
  • Constructs
  • Relics
  • ID Cards
  • Feats
  • BFCs
  • Event Dials
  • Special Terrain
  • characters equipped during force construction
I don't know what to run but because I've stopped giving nearly as many fucks as I used to generally regardless of format, I tend to run whatever wacky bullshit I think will amuse me, ideally with a good number of figures I haven't used before or at least haven't used in a long time. I'd considered running all the Iron Maiden figures, but they come to 850 so I'd have to drop the titular character and in so doing miss the point. I've thought of running a Gotham City team with three Bat-duos, only choosing to not use Batman and Green Arrow because I couldn't make a theme with it. I note that Limited doesn't outlaw ATAs or special objects.
pre:
BM100	Nightwing and Batgirl	176
SOG103	Batman and Nightwing	176
JL038	Batman and Robin	138
DKR021	Lt. Gordon		68
AA006	Gotham City Detective	27
AN049	Green Lantern		145
ATA	GCPD			8
8 points of something for filler
Sideline: a shitload of Split options, including DKR#100 Batman
Alan would nerf opposing Stealth in the absence of much able to grant Improved Targeting, so between him and the Gotham City Detectives I could theoretically have a pretty strong (if relatively short) ranged game. I think whatever I do, if I don't fill up on equipment I'll use the old-school special object tokens, particularly the Laser Turret because that one was always fun.

For the 1,800-point Golden Age Limited the week after, that's an even better question. I'm entertaining an Asgardian team with Avengers Prime. Beyond that, I don't know. I could try again to run Hulks but I know that with Outwit and range I'd go down faster than a stereotypical prom date. Here's what I've come up with for Asgardians. If I do this I'll have to think about Split options for AP.
pre:
CW060	Avengers Prime	400
FI012	Heimdall	169
FI005	Valkyrie	130
AVM022	Destroyer	250
TMT059	Fandral		60
w/Dueling Sword
TMT031	Hogun		90
w/Knobbed Mace
TMT029A	Executioner	120
w/Bloodaxe
TMT062	Thunderstrike	115
TMT009	Valkyrie	45
TMT009	Valkyrie	45
TMT009	Valkyrie	45
HA033	Sif		93
TDW013	Loki		150
ATA	By Odin's Beard	70
18 points of I don't even know what

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I ran my venue's sealed today, and as expected Kid Gladiator with a little support is unstoppable. He had two Perplexes and TK backing him up and the guy never lost a figure, he could one-hit KO most everything and easily got +3 stats all three rounds. Every other game was close or evenly matched, but KG absolutely ruins the balance of sealed.

On the upside, I pulled chase Jean which makes me happy, except having her means now I've gotta track down a bunch of the UXM chases and their prices all shot up in the last month. I should've grabbed them last year when they were $20 a pop except Magneto.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

I just thought of a gloriously insane idea for the 1,800-pointer. Last night I started thinking of 1,800 points of Superman. On my drive to work I realized that the Superman Ally TA now gives Improved Targeting: Hindering instead of mimicking it. I'd have to lose out on a Kryptonian theme, but then I'd get to use V Icons Superman (maybe even two!) if I use DP#056 Kingpin to give any of them who use ranged HSS from next to him Precision Strike, Sharpshooter, and RCE. I'm sure I'd get my rear end handed to me, but damned if that team wouldn't hit like a truck before it got Outwitted to death.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

I have an event Sunday. "Do you have that in my size?" 500 points, must have a figure who is tiny, giant, or colossal. Judge clarified that it doesn't need to be on the base and can be acquired via Special Power.

What are some fun tiny/giant/colossal pieces you've run? I thought about doing my Bat-Knights and KC batman but that leaves a 50 point hole I can't fill with KC Bat Fams.

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Morand posted:

I have an event Sunday. "Do you have that in my size?" 500 points, must have a figure who is tiny, giant, or colossal. Judge clarified that it doesn't need to be on the base and can be acquired via Special Power.

What are some fun tiny/giant/colossal pieces you've run? I thought about doing my Bat-Knights and KC batman but that leaves a 50 point hole I can't fill with KC Bat Fams.

I've found that DKR Batman works much better with Bat Knights than KC Batman does. It's less thematic, but still fits the 'armored future Batman' role. Toss Mjolnir on him, and he's doing close attacks from 6 away while being triple-Empowered by the knights.

As for size shenanigans, there's a lot of good stuff out there. I've actually got a similar event coming up on Saturday; 700 points, must have at least one colossal, so I'm going with 'Attack of the 50-foot women'. Colossal Ms. Marvel, Giganta, and Elasti-Girl all at full, Queen of Fables, Stature, and then Skyscraper Wonder Woman at her lowest points. Probably won't be the greatest team, but I've been wanting to run it for a while, and this event is the perfect time.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Speaking of giants...

There's a 600 point game this weekend, Modern Age, which I hate because I tend to like to play obscure teams that spread out over multiple sets and thus can't use everybody all the time and I hate it because I hate it.

We get bonus points per kill for named theme teams. I'm just dumb enough to want to run Ymir at 550 points and then... there are no Asgardians 50 points or less... um... huh. Maybe I'll equip Proteus or something?

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Steve Vader posted:

Speaking of giants...

There's a 600 point game this weekend, Modern Age, which I hate because I tend to like to play obscure teams that spread out over multiple sets and thus can't use everybody all the time and I hate it because I hate it.

We get bonus points per kill for named theme teams. I'm just dumb enough to want to run Ymir at 550 points and then... there are no Asgardians 50 points or less... um... huh. Maybe I'll equip Proteus or something?

Couldn't put Proteus on Ymir. Not only does being colossal prevent equipping, but you have to be 100 points or less to equip Proteus.

There are a ton of Asgardians at 50 points or fewer, though... three Thors, Sif, Jane Foster, Throg, lots of generics... heck, if you've got them, you could run two retaliation Frost Giants to stay super-thematic.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Torrent posted:

Couldn't put Proteus on Ymir. Not only does being colossal prevent equipping, but you have to be 100 points or less to equip Proteus.

There are a ton of Asgardians at 50 points or fewer, though... three Thors, Sif, Jane Foster, Throg, lots of generics... heck, if you've got them, you could run two retaliation Frost Giants to stay super-thematic.

Shows you how often I use possessors.

And it seems my Advanced Unit Search-Fu failed me. I see now... hm... sadly, the only Frost Giants I have are the old ones.

I do like Throg, though...

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

Hit-Monkey is a great tiny-sized piece who more than carries his weight.

The AoU Rita Yellowjacket is a really useful piece who can go tiny, and fits on a lot of teams.

Elasti-Girl is a ton of fun, but she was mentioned.

Great Eagle is a giant who doesn't count against theme.

CWOP Goliath is a cheap-ish giant who can do a ton of damage.

Computo is surprisingly effective, and really annoys your opponent.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Red posted:

Great Eagle is a giant who doesn't count against theme.

You mentioning Great Eagle made me realize the perfect taxi for my team tonight. I realized that being President's Day weekend, I could run a Politician theme. This will also let me use the trick that you can only pull off that way of using DC10 "Boom Tube Sneak Attack" Lex Luthor and the GCPD ATA, which fulfills my "wacky bullshit" goal of playing these days. This is 800 Golden Age Limited, using ROC's "Limited" format, meaning nothing above a peanut base and basically no non-character elements except for non-relic special objects and ATAs.
pre:
SOG022	Harvey Dent	93
D10A020	Lex Luthor	160
JW007	Commissioner	30
	Gordon
SMWW028	General Lane	40
BM045	Black Lightning	87
SM025	Matter-Eater	35
	Lad
WXM035	Black King	165
DOFP008	Senator Robert	42
	Kelly
HBTBFA008 Great Eagle	70
SI035	Howard the Duck	35
FFJW004	The Penguin	25
TMTS019	Bladed Hammer	4
TMTS005	Enchanted	10
	Crowbar
CDS004	Laser Turret	0
----------------------------
		Total:	800
Harvey Dent is a waste of points but for A) his generous helping of Outwit and B) redundancy for GCPD so they don't have to just nuke Gordon to take away my rear end in a top hat trick. For those who don't remember how it works, Boom Tube Sneak Attack lets Lex phase and if he moves half his Speed value or less he gets a ranged combat action as a free action, so he gets to teleport and PsyBlast for free every turn if he wildcards GCPD and doesn't take any tokens. He'll get the Bladed Hammer early so he can clear and then wreck house with BTSE. Howard the Duck is cheap Leadership to pull tokens and Penguin is mostly filler but can give Lex a needed boost with the Loyalty token. Senator Kelly can let me hose PC/Quintessence in part. Matter-Eater Lad is a cheap taxi who can take chunks out of the opposition or just wildcard PD to help attacks. Black Lightning lets me shut down modifiers. General Lane gives Superman Enemy to anyone he's adjacent to, which means he gets to ride the Great Eagle who as mentioned is for A) :911: and B) multi-taxi so I'll have a few Outwitters bombing around the field. Black King's a beatstick who'll get the Enchanted Crowbar. The Laser Turret is in there for kicks. I want to have my fantasy bird shoot somebody with a laser turret.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ATAs only apply to figures with that keyword, though.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

CapnAndy posted:

ATAs only apply to figures with that keyword, though.

Yes, but you can copy GCPD via wildcard. The team did O.K. We played on a Civil War map in a battle royale because there were only three of us. The judge put out four leftover con LEs (Alejandra Ghost Rider, Dr. Nemesis, Gotham by Gaslight Batman, and Doop) and said first could pick two and the other two got one each. True to form, the guy who always plays OP kit Dormammu, OP kit Dr. Strange, Tiamat, and Mr. Mxyzptlk did so, adding R Destiny for extra prob because due to format limitations he couldn't use Splitlip and the Book of the Skull, which is what he always does in normal Golden Age. He says it's hard to build an effective team because it's hard for him to learn the strategies, so he runs what he understands how to use. He won because my dice were cold and the other guy's (running an X-Men theme) weren't a lot better. I at least came in second and got Alejandra, plus I fulfilled my goal of having the Great Eagle blast someone with the Laser Turret, KOing an X-Student! Between Mr. Always-runs-the-same-bullshit and the jank crew it's about the moral victories for me these days, so I got that.

Next week for the same format but at 1,800 points (action total of 8), I think instead of the teams I thought of where I'd run either all Superman (with the Kryptonian keyword) using the Red Sun Sons ATA to protect their defenses from Outwit or a shitload of versions of Superman with DP#059 Kingpin— who because they changed the Superman Ally TA to actually give IT: Hindering would beef them up obscenely— I may run a Mystical theme and run the three Trinity of Sin characters to shut down his Prob. Limited bans Felix Faust, so I can't use him if I do. Maybe something like this? I'd be using some of his own bullshit against him while keeping him from being able to use his Prob without having to take tokens for it, plus I'd finally get to use Malekith.
pre:
WK#D-006	Pandora		100
WK#D-007	Phantom		200
		Stranger
WK#D-008	Question	100
YGO2#018	Dark Magician	140
		Girl
IM#006		Powerslave	175
SF#017		Dhalsim	90
WK#M15-010	Dormammu	300
WK#M15-011	Dr. Strange	150
TDW#004		Malekith	350
AN#049		Green Lantern	145
FI#003		Monkey King	45
TMT#S019	Bladed Hammer	4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

I really wish the Flock of Bats had the Batman Family keyword, but I guess I understand why they don't. Maybe at least give them the 'they don't break theme as long as you have someone named 'Batman' on your force'.