Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but

it turns out they were villains :(

what happened?

e: content

Truga has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Nice 2008-style eugenics meme

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Got overplayed and it disappeared. Coincidentallu Stefans cancer went away.

Do you suspect a correlation? We should probably keep an eye on this sort of thing the next time somebody gets memed relentlessly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

twoday posted:

yeah, it's really terrible but i laughed anyway so i feel bad now and wanted to share the feeling

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Holy poo poo :pusheen:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Why so many battles of Isonzo

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Steamed hams, but it's actually cancer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hihohe posted:

Mountains.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Italians.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Hihohe posted:

Very good strategy

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hihohe posted:

If at eleventh you don't succeed, try, try again.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Sometimes you just really need a river and will kill a million Italians to get it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LinYutang posted:

Sometimes you just really need a river and will kill a million Italians to fail to get it

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Is this one of those things where they didnt understand machine guns yet so their first thought was to throw men at it hoping it would run out of ammo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
From the milhist thread:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The thing is that there isn't really a better strategy for the Italians that is compatible with Italian national objectives.

You have the Alpine front, which is impossible and possibly the worst front to fight on in the history of war. That is a poo poo option and extends pretty much along the entire border. It's also a bit tough for the Italians to defend, because if you look at the border, most of the good defensive terrain for defense in depth is on the Austrian side. On the Italian side, it's not too far to the flat plains of the Po valley with its great infrastructure and a majority of Italian industry.

You have the Isonzo, which is relatively flat, and relatively non-fortified. Again, the Italians are going to struggle to defend here bcause while it's flat on the AH side of the border, relatively, it's flat as gently caress on the Italian side.

Last, you have the irredenta, so the fact that Dalmatia and Friulia has a major ethnic Italian population means that it is a National Imperative to liberate and acquire this territory. This territory is the reason Italy entered the war, after all, so not attacking to redeem territory is not really a politically tenable position.

Now, having Cadorna run the show from an operational perspective was a crime, but strategically, there aren't many other options. Send troops to the western front where they can Isonzo around but in France? Why is that a better option? Send troops to the shitshow that is Gallipoli? Send troops to help the British shore up their colonial possessions in the Levant? Keep in mind Italy is a direct competitor to Britain for Greece and the Levant in the wake of the collapse of the Ottoman empire. Just defend? It's got more geographic and strategic risk than most other defensive positions in WWI and then what are you going to do at the peace conference when you haven't won any territory?

Bewbies is right; other than Cadorna being uniquely bad at running the show, the Isonzo was just the Western Front in 100km rather than 1,000.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
1. Frontal assaults with limited artillery support against hilltop, fortified positions.
2. Failure to properly supply their men with things like bullets and shears to cut barb wire.
3. Just plain got out-maneuvered by a better commander.
4. Weren't doing too badly then winter set in and fighting stopped.
5. Was really a diversionary tactic, but way too cold to do any actual fighting.
6. Outnumbered the Austrians 2:1, had their best success, still got mauled, Austrians withdrew to preserve their forces.
7. Continued war of attrition, "those Austrians will get sick of killing us soon!"
8. See 7.
9. Weren't doing too badly, the Austrians then convinced the Germans they were about to lose, Germany came in and stomped them.
10. Were doing really well with massed troops, then a counter-offensive cost them all their success.
11. They managed to finally win through to their targets, then found the two mountain fortresses they wanted to crack were actually uncrackable. They retreated, not realising the Austrians were a hair's breadth from folding.
12. The Austrians got huge German reinforcements and smashed the poo poo out of the Italians, costing them every single scrap of land they spent two years of blood and treasure on. Considered by some to be the greatest military defeat in Italian history.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Steamed Hams But It's Been Played Out For Weeks And Facebook Aunts Have Gotten A Hold Of It

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Steamed Hams But It's Been Played Out For Weeks And Facebook Aunts Have Gotten A Hold Of It

Steamed Hams but it's acted out by Minions

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Steamed Hams but it’s Lowtax turning the forums off.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

twoday posted:

Stupid assholes in 2008: This is just like Idiocracy

Stupid assholes in 2018: This is just like Black Mirror

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Clitch posted:

Steamed Hams but it's acted out by Minions

Hell yeah

Blind Rasputin posted:

Steamed Hams but it’s Lowtax turning the forums off.

HELL YEAH

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Me, an Intellectual: This is just like Rick and Morty

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Steamed Hams. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of light physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. There's also Principle Skinner's unforgettable luncheon, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his steamed hams draws heavily from his old family recipe, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Steamed Hams truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Seymour's existential catchphrase "Delightfully devilish," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenevs Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Bill Oakley's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have an aurora borealis tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Emmideer has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jan 24, 2018

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

Stupid assholes in 2028: This is just like in the before times, in the long long ago, when food was so much, and the before people would trash it away because whole buildings had more

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hihohe posted:

Is this one of those things where they didnt understand machine guns yet so their first thought was to throw men at it hoping it would run out of ammo

Hi, I live in the area, both sides did some incredibly dumb things, but in the end italians won the dumb award, because they attacked highly fortified positions with heavy artillery support on loving mountains, lmao.

Italians were on the correct side though, and thus won the territory anyway, and half the natives got killed by fascists in the years between the wars in concentration camps or otherwise, so they definitely managed to get revenge I guess

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Truga posted:

Hi, I live in the area, both sides did some incredibly dumb things, but in the end italians won the dumb award, because they attacked highly fortified positions with heavy artillery support on loving mountains, lmao.

Italians were on the correct side though, and thus won the territory anyway, and half the natives got killed by fascists in the years between the wars in concentration camps or otherwise, so they definitely managed to get revenge I guess

But then they hosed it up by going back to the wrong side and losing Istria.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

It's literally copypasting in Paint.Ney, guys :rolleyes:

Hey, if anyone could explain this in more detail I'd appreciate it, cuz I couldn't find a Paint.ney when I googled it. And I'm too incompetent to make my own gifs so I'm not exactly great at using computers.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Who would dare strike a dog

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Who would dare strike a dog

I would spare a dog

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, if anyone could explain this in more detail I'd appreciate it, cuz I couldn't find a Paint.ney when I googled it. And I'm too incompetent to make my own gifs so I'm not exactly great at using computers.
Paint.net

basically a free version of Photoshop where all the keyboard shortcuts are wrong

or am I thinking of GIMP?

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FFT posted:

Paint.net

basically a free version of Photoshop where all the keyboard shortcuts are wrong

or am I thinking of GIMP?

They're being facetious, but I did act like a dick to people over something awfully trivial, so my bad.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Clearly the Italians attacked so much because people kept touching their spaghett

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Samuringa posted:

They're being facetious, but I did act like a dick to people over something awfully trivial, so my bad.
eh

didn't Paint.net have an in-browser version when it started? apparently there's PIXLR now the name of which vaguely offends me

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Former DILF posted:

kreider is a treasure
he is indeed. He doesn't do cartoons anymore, but he has a book coming out on Valentines Day :swoon:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

No, I'm actually being super genuine. I don't know how to combine pictures into long ones like that and I thought Paint.ney was just a website with a weird resource name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Did this really need the comment at the bottom?