Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Drunk History back this week :woop: :parrot: :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've been really enjoying Black Lightning so far. It's definitely still a CW show but it's darker and stylistically different from the other DC shows they have running.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Black Lightning is real good

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HorseRenoir posted:

I've been really enjoying Black Lightning so far. It's definitely still a CW show but it's darker and stylistically different from the other DC shows they have running.

That reminds me to watch, I forgot it was starting so soon.
Hopefully they won't strip it of its style to mash it in with the boring mess they've made of Arrow and Flash.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Looten Plunder posted:

Drunk History back this week :woop: :parrot: :krad:

Busy Phillips is the queen of Drunk History.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Lost broke the brains of a generation so anything that is not part of some multi-year mytharc makes them start gibbering about procedurals.

One series I've read about but haven't seen was a Steven R. Bochco legal drama called Murder One, which aired in the mid 90s and had a fully-serialised story following a team of defence lawyers working on one case throughout its first season.

It had an ambitious reputation, but audiences apparently weren't ready, because by the time said first season ended episodes were beginning with very detailed, 10 minute long "previously on" recaps.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just finished all of Hannibal in a month and I’m already jonesing for something similar. I had planned on watching American Gods, but I’m not sure there’s much of a point now that Fuller and some of the cast have bailed. FWIW, I’ve read and enjoyed the original book. Thoughts?

There really isn't anything similar to Hannibal on TV. American Gods is good and has Brian Reitzell's music and Fuller's lavish visuals, and is worth watching on its own.

Mindhunter draws its inspiration from the same sources as Thomas Harris's novels, Mr. Robot is as gay and well-made, and Riverdale may be even purpler than Hannibal. But none of those shows are fundamentally like it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lads

https://twitter.com/BlackDynamite/status/956087579710980096

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sarcastically sounds pretty boring.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love watching lovely "investigation" shows. I've been watching one called Nightmare Next Door, and the last episode was really gross. It was about a girl that got murdered, but the narrator insisted on sexualizing not only her, but all young girls. Actually phrases: "little Lolitas" "little beauties" "brown-haired beauty" "blue-eyed dreamer," it's seriously creepy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Are you guys serious about Black Lightning? All I've seen is the trailer and holy poo poo that costume just looks dumb AF.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

Are you guys serious about Black Lightning? All I've seen is the trailer and holy poo poo that costume just looks dumb AF.

TVIV likes literally everything Marvel shits out no matter what it is so I believe it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

IRQ posted:

TVIV likes literally everything Marvel shits out no matter what it is so I believe it.

Black Lightning is DC.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

Black Lightning is DC.

Point stands.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

Black Lightning is DC.

I think the breakdown of this war is actually like Marvel, Arrowverse, Justice League, and anything else touched by Whedon vs Zach Snyder's movies and maybe Wonder Woman? I'm not clear where Wonder Woman falls.

I haven't watched Black Lightning yet. I'll probably give it a look tonight. My prediction is TVIV's opinion of it will follow the same path as Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and many other shows. There will be a lot of praise in S1 of new things and unique appeals from similar shows. In S2 there will start to be complaints about its patterns and habits that are starting to wear thing on some. by S3 it will be dismissed as a derivative mess where nothing truly matters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

“LOOK AT MY DICK! LOOK AT MY FUCKIN DICK! I’M BLACK LIGHTNING!”

e: holy poo poo Meryl Streep just got cast in Big Little Lies season 2

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 24, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

STAC Goat posted:

My prediction is TVIV's opinion of it will follow the same path as Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and many other shows. There will be a lot of praise in S1 of new things and unique appeals from similar shows. In S2 there will start to be complaints about its patterns and habits that are starting to wear thing on some. by S3 it will be dismissed as a derivative mess where nothing truly matters.

That's not just CW shows, that's TVIV boilerplate for every show.

Season 3 writing becomes "lazy" and the characters will be caricatures of what they once were. There will either be too many episodes and the pacing will be too uneven or not enough episodes to let the concept breath. They really need to jettison 'x' character for next season because they are insufferable and have run their course.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

“LOOK AT MY DICK! LOOK AT MY FUCKIN DICK! I’M BLACK LIGHTNING!”

e: holy poo poo Meryl Streep just got cast in Big Little Lies season 2
Andrea Arnold is directing every episode, holy smokes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bull3964 posted:

Season 3 writing becomes "lazy" and the characters will be caricatures of what they once were. There will either be too many episodes and the pacing will be too uneven or not enough episodes to let the concept breath. They really need to jettison 'x' character for next season because they are insufferable and have run their course.

Yeah, its a basic pattern that hold some truth but seems to say more about the viewer's tastes than the show's flaws. 90% of network shows follow a basic pattern of S1 growing pains and learning what works and what doesn't, S2 really leaning in on what works and what they learned from S1, and in S3 they're settled in and have a bit of a formula. Some viewers obviously hate this and prefer shows that blow everything up every season or drive make plots that change everything each season. So they just get tired with a show that isn't interested in doing that, but just wants to perfect its formula.

"Formulaic" shouldn't be a bad word. It isn't for everyone but there's plenty of people who love shows or movies specifically because they're formulaic. No one goes into a Fast and Furious movie to see what amazing macguffin is written for the plot. They just want to see the formula they enjoy done well.

I know Supernatural is a formulaic show that is doing the same poo poo its been doing for a decade. I know its meta plots are often flimsy and result in wiping the slate clean. I watch because I like that forumula and have for over a decade. I like being able to watch that show once a week.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bull3964 posted:

Note that “x” character is almost always female.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/956284040436506624

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm still annoyed that they didn't move Felicty over to the Flash once that started up. She gelled really well with the cast (and had, like, instant chemistry with Grant Gustin) and would have stopped all the stupid Felicity poo poo that went down on Arrow starting in season three. OTOH there then would have been stupid Barry/Iris/Felicity love triangle poo poo on The Flash, so...

Never watched the show but based on that photo I guess Harry Potter was in it?

Also, christ, they're starting to run out of shows to revive. It's only a matter of time before Lost returns, isn't it?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 24, 2018

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
CBS should revive The Dick Van Dyke Show with the original cast as well, the lead is only a sprightly 92

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, its a basic pattern that hold some truth but seems to say more about the viewer's tastes than the show's flaws. 90% of network shows follow a basic pattern of S1 growing pains and learning what works and what doesn't, S2 really leaning in on what works and what they learned from S1, and in S3 they're settled in and have a bit of a formula. Some viewers obviously hate this and prefer shows that blow everything up every season or drive make plots that change everything each season. So they just get tired with a show that isn't interested in doing that, but just wants to perfect its formula.

"Formulaic" shouldn't be a bad word. It isn't for everyone but there's plenty of people who love shows or movies specifically because they're formulaic. No one goes into a Fast and Furious movie to see what amazing macguffin is written for the plot. They just want to see the formula they enjoy done well.

I know Supernatural is a formulaic show that is doing the same poo poo its been doing for a decade. I know its meta plots are often flimsy and result in wiping the slate clean. I watch because I like that forumula and have for over a decade. I like being able to watch that show once a week.

It's not always the case, but a lot of times people just need to recognize that the show didn't really drop in quality but that they are just bored with it now.

People want a reason that they don't enjoy watching as much and they don't want to admit it's their own tastes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

CBS should revive The Dick Van Dyke Show with the original cast as well, the lead is only a sprightly 92

As of Boston Legal Bergen was still legitimately awesome, but then again that was 10 years ago...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for goons to start complaining about The Good Place S3 because they blew up the plot again and it's boring cause they did that last week why can't they just give these concepts a proper chance?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Good Place is an interesting case to me because in large parts its everything goods want in blowing poo poo up and doing something different. But also Michael Schur's got a good record of great comedies that kind of settle into a formula of character chemistry, relationships, and in jokes. And like, there's definitely an element of that in The Good Place and its characters.

The Good Place is a show that SHOULD have a clear end date in mind but I wonder if Schur/NBC has that or if goons will grow tired of the character formulas before it does. I can definitely see it getting the patented TVIV S3 backlash.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahaha this season 3 backlash thing is quite silly. What about Leftovers? Saul? Mr. Robot? CXG? BoJack? Rick and Morty?

All the shows you're talking about the backlash for are shows that were always bad but that people got distracted by because shiny new superhero thing. I wonder if I'll feel the same about Riverdale, now I think about it. I feel like that show is at one point gonna start losing its appeal FAST.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Are you really arguing there wasn't a season 3 backlash to Rick and Morty?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

less laughter posted:

Would genuinely enjoy a Lou Grant revival. Ed Asner is only 88. He can still do it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Are you really arguing there wasn't a season 3 backlash to Rick and Morty?

From internet fuckboys in general, sure, but from what I saw TVIV still liked it (obviously I didn't read the thread, because who reads a show's thread? but the people who's opinions i know to give a poo poo about liked it just fine)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Escobarbarian posted:

From internet fuckboys in general, sure, but from what I saw TVIV still liked it (obviously I didn't read the thread, because who reads a show's thread? but the people who's opinions i know to give a poo poo about liked it just fine)

The thread made toxic Rick and Morty from episode 6 look well adjusted.

By and large, many found it boring and devoid of jokes. I remember a few saying that the writing was getting lazy about how overpowered Rick was. They should really kill off Jerry because he's pointless on the show now. All characters are shallow and just give speeches about their mental state.

Seriously, the S3 progression that I mentioned earlier was BASED off the Rick and Morty thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Internet fuckboys is what were complaining about

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
so to clarify, the argument here is "TVIV turns on every show in its third season because the show with the worst fanbase ever had idiots complain about the quality even though it was the best one yet"?

also didn't the Flash backlash start with s2?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not every show it's many shows, specifically genre shows. I don't know the because of it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can add Brooklyn 99 to the list. People were calling for the show to be cancelled in the thread ever since the third season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That rebounded a lot in s4 though! I feel like the second half of most B99 seasons is weaker than the first. Don't know why that is.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
https://twitter.com/people/status/956310241616056322
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

so to clarify, the argument here is "TVIV turns on every show in its third season because the show with the worst fanbase ever had idiots complain about the quality even though it was the best one yet"?

also didn't the Flash backlash start with s2?

You know good and well its not "every show" and if anyone said "every show" it was hyperbole and you literally just brought up a show as a counter example and when someone said it did the same thing you called its fanbase the "worst." I even pointed out that shows like The Good Place that break formulas appeal to these goons who have these complaints and thus "break the mold".

I think Flash was a pretty good example of the pattern.

S1: This is fun and different from that mopey Arrow that has all these relationships and lies and melodrama.
S2: I'm getting tired of the melodrama and relationship stuff that was there in S1 too but I'm getting sick of it.
S3: Every year its the same mopey melodrama CW poo poo.

And as I said, I don't even think these complaints are necessarily wrong. But they're more about the individual's tastes and patterns than the show's a lot of time. Flash always had melodrama and dark character themes. The show started with Barry tormented by his mother's death, his father's incarceration, and his starcrossed romantic interest. Some viewers just glossed past that stuff when they were having fun with the show and gradually got more and more annoyed by it. And there's nothing wrong with them just getting tired of Flash's formula and losing interest in it. But some posters basically treat quitting a show like a breakup.

Agents of SHIELD is a good example of the alternative. It started off very formulaic and goons were highly critical, but as its gone on its picked up a pattern of dramatically shaking up the status quo each season or more resulting in the goon opinion getting very positive on it.

This isn't a "goons are wrong" theory. Its a "theres a majority taste in TVIV" one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 25, 2018