Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

AggressivelyStupid posted:

You're high if you thought Mozgov was steady. I say this as someone who loves Timofey Mozgov.

e: also mozgod has a busted knee

You're saying this like we don't already know he was coming off of knee surgery and Deng had to have his organs replaced prior to signing. It makes it all comical in hindsight but they weren't being signed for their impact on winning games by playing basketball, they were there to take up cap space to let the tank/rebuild continue without speculation about signing every marquee free agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

WhyteRyce posted:

Kings and Sixers running the league in a few years

:lol: poor Kevin Love
https://twitter.com/mcten/status/956240949847478272

lmao this is so sad

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
You can say a lot about Dan Gilbert, that he destroyed peoples lives and helped ruin the economy with bad loans, that he's trying to turn Detroit into his personal property, that his son is chubby, but he did a great job of hiring the pr and media relations people to guilt Lebron into coming back, after David Griffin got the assets to build a contender through tanking.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Dejan Bimble posted:

You're saying this like we don't already know he was coming off of knee surgery and Deng had to have his organs replaced prior to signing. It makes it all comical in hindsight but they weren't being signed for their impact on winning games by playing basketball, they were there to take up cap space to let the tank/rebuild continue without speculation about signing every marquee free agent

have you considered that if they just wanted to take up space they could have signed me instead

i have a very impressive 2k highlight reel

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Hello, your All-Star Victor Oladipo update:

https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/956333757828608000

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

have you considered that if they just wanted to take up space they could have signed me instead

i have a very impressive 2k highlight reel

That's your agent's fault, not mine. If you had registered with my agency, H3ROAll1anc3Partners NZ registered trust, you might have the Mozgov money.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

mozgov got signed like 2 minutes after midnight to a four year deal, that excuse does not hold up at all lmao

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah I can't believe people are defending the mozgov contract in here. It was signed as early as possible and they ended up having to trade away a young high-draft player to get rid of it, it's absolutely awful.

'Take up cap space' is still easily accomplished by signing them to 1 year deals

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There might some entertaining fake posting idk.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Strange how the Cavs completely fall apart right after David Griffin leaves.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Even at the time we all made fun of that contract as soon as it was signed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah I can't believe people are defending the mozgov contract in here. It was signed as early as possible and they ended up having to trade away a young high-draft player to get rid of it, it's absolutely awful.

'Take up cap space' is still easily accomplished by signing them to 1 year deals

It's a defensive reaction because admitting that Mosgov deal was bad is admitting that the Lakers were right to replace and hire with Magic Johnson

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Away all Goats posted:

It's no longer possible to search the internet but 'NBA analysis' at the time was saying that the Lakers wanted some veterans to take up cap space for the next X years, with the implication being the furthering of the tank to either find players or get draft assets for the summer of Paul George/Lebron/Westbrook etc while preparing a clean cap slate for this coming offseason

This isn't something we're making up, it was stated pretty explicitly at the time.

If your point is, those players are bad, and now the lakers are doing something else, that's true
If your point is, the lakers expected them to be good players who were going to truly contribute to a good team, that's silly.
If you're just reveling in the humor of injury ruined players getting big contracts, congratulations.

I don't know what else there is to say

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 25, 2018

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

mozgov signed his deal in a lil kev shirt

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mozgov on the lakers was a good move because it let me make a bunch of horrible mozgov auditioning for henchman roles jokes

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Ghost Dog posted:

mozgov signed his deal in a lil kev shirt

Lil Kiev*

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Russia and Ukraine are the same thing ok

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's no longer possible to search the internet but 'NBA analysis' at the time was saying that the Lakers wanted some veterans to take up cap space for the next X years, with the implication being the furthering of the tank to either find players or get draft assets for the summer of Paul George/Lebron/Westbrook etc while preparing a clean cap slate for this coming offseason

This isn't something we're making up, it was stated pretty explicitly at the time.

If your point is, those players are bad, and now the lakers are doing something else, that's true
If your point is, the lakers expected them to be good players who were going to truly contribute to a good team, that's silly.
If you're just reveling in the humor of injury ruined players getting big contracts, congratulations.

I don't know what else there is to say

My point is that those contracts are bad, and maybe a combination of 1 and 3 there.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 25, 2018

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

There might some entertaining fake posting idk.

i've been puppet mastered again !!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Brolander posted:

It's true, just ask the average person where chernobyl is, you know, the place where they dropped the nuclear bomb.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Brolander posted:

Vlad what are you doing here???

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

It's a defensive reaction because admitting that Mosgov deal was bad is admitting that the Lakers were right to replace and hire with Magic Johnson

Hahah, what? Kupchak could've given Corey Brewer and Boban full max contracts and he'd still be a guy who built more Finals teams than anyone not working for the Spurs (unless you want to acknowledge that Lebron is the actual GM of the Cavs, which, I'll listen to). You probably want to keep those guys in charge of a team as long as you can. The Lakers are a rebuilding team that had no assets left after their title run, with a huge amount of cap space that they can't give away to good players, and nothing to do but develop the players that they drafted. The alleged consequence for this signing--that they had to trade D'Angelo because of it--isn't even supported by the guy you're saying hiring was a good move here. Johnson admitted that he traded Russell because he wanted to trade Russell. Because he "needed a leader."

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

for the record, lebron is the gm for all the good moves, but not for any of the bad ones

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jay Triano helping Devin Booker practice for the 3pt shooting contest

https://streamable.com/ylv7b

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rick posted:

Hahah, what? Kupchak could've given Corey Brewer and Boban full max contracts and he'd still be a guy who built more Finals teams than anyone not working for the Spurs (unless you want to acknowledge that Lebron is the actual GM of the Cavs, which, I'll listen to). You probably want to keep those guys in charge of a team as long as you can. The Lakers are a rebuilding team that had no assets left after their title run, with a huge amount of cap space that they can't give away to good players, and nothing to do but develop the players that they drafted. The alleged consequence for this signing--that they had to trade D'Angelo because of it--isn't even supported by the guy you're saying hiring was a good move here. Johnson admitted that he traded Russell because he wanted to trade Russell. Because he "needed a leader."

So what's Kupchak been doing since then?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mr. Mambold posted:

So what's Kupchak been doing since then?

Consulting with the Rockets and Clippers.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Views: Despite being drafted over Donovan Mitchell, Luke Kennard isn't that bad. But Stan is addicted to trying to find players who match his specific specifications and has lost out on superior basketball players in his chase

After he got some legs and familiarity during Avery Bradley's long absence, he started making shots and doing what you're supposed to do when you get closed out on. I don't think his ceiling is especially high, but he looks like an NBA player.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rick posted:

Consulting with the Rockets and Clippers.

I remember him as a player, last guy you'd envision later on as a mastermind organizer, whereas Magic seemed to have 360 vision hahaha go figure that one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Views: Despite being drafted over Donovan Mitchell, Luke Kennard isn't that bad. But Stan is addicted to trying to find players who match his specific specifications and has lost out on superior basketball players in his chase

After he got some legs and familiarity during Avery Bradley's long absence, he started making shots and doing what you're supposed to do when you get closed out on. I don't think his ceiling is especially high, but he looks like an NBA player.

counterpoint: luke kennard is a dorkus malorkus

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Kennard is the name of a dumpy lil town in east texas with like three churches and one gas station and that's what I think of when I read his name

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rick posted:

And it just so happened that he probably got a ton of other offers for Russell thus the Nets having to take the Mozgov contract on to beat out the competition.

I think even the best finals builders (you had Kobe.) can make mistakes and it was a huge loving mistake to give 64 million to an over the hill pudgy center that had a known busted knee at the time when guys like Ezeli, Boban, Jefferson, Cole Aldrich, or Zeller were all going for way, way cheaper. Even Dwight's contract would be a more appealing option. Mahinmi even got signed for the same amount and he had functional knees. Like I can admit that my team made a dumb loving mistake signing Noah but I don't get why you're vehemently defending a widely known moron contract.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

H E A R T OF A C H A M P I O N

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I've never ever seen a player's rep totally disintegrate like KD's has over the last two seasons, it's remarkable

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

He apologized profusely.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Stan Van Gundy is the worst coach in the national basketball league

and also one of the worst GMs

good. good.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"nOW APOLOGIZE TO MY SON TONY BROTHERS JR AND HIS BROTHER TONY BROTHERS JR !!"

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm going to elaborate on this a little bit, so tonight the Pistons had a 9 point lead on the terrible Utah Jazz with about 2 minutes left in the game, at home, and proceeded to lose.

Here were all of their offensive possessions from that point on through overtime:

2:41 Avery Bradley misses 24-foot three point jumper
2:05 Tobias Harris lost ball turnover
1:31 Ish Smith misses 19-foot pullup jump shot
1:02 Ish Smith misses 22-foot jumper
0:28 Stanley Johnson misses 27-foot three point jumper
0:00 Luke Kennard misses 28-foot three point jumper
4:45 Tobias Harris misses 20-foot jumper
4:15 Andre Drummond makes layup
3:40 Stanley Johnson misses 26-foot three point jumper
3:10 Luke Kennard lost ball turnover (Joe Ingles steals)
2:33 Andre Drummond makes tip shot
2:10 Tobias Harris lost ball turnover
1:21 Ish Smith misses 27-foot three point jumper
0:36 Ish Smith misses 27-foot three point jumper
0:33 Andre Drummond makes 2-foot dunk
0:04 Tobias Harris misses 24-foot three point jumper

So we've got 7 long threes, 4 of them taken by frankly horrendous three point shooters, and 3 long 2s, the worst shot in basketball.

You've got Stanley loving Johnson on the court jacking up two 25+ foot three pointers in crunch time.

SVG's draft choices with the Pistons

Spencer Dinwiddie - Given up on immediately, now a good player with a different team lol

Darrun Hillard - Out of the league I assume, idk, he might be dead

Stanley Johnson - Shooting 36.5% from the field in his career. To be clear, that's not from 3, it's all of his shots. He's at 35.7% this year, including 29.6% from downtown. Better draw up some long threes for him down the stretch of close games.

Michael Gbinjie - I'm honestly not sure if this is a real person or a humorous edit on Wikipedia.

Henry Ellenson - Can't play on a bad team, seems like a total bust already

Luke Kennard - Appears to have the upside of an average starter or above average 6th man.

Amazing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Kennard bricked a really good game winning look but the thing that bothers me out of those is all the Ish jumpers

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

https://streamable.com/vzsct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Henchman of Santa posted:

Kennard bricked a really good game winning look but the thing that bothers me out of those is all the Ish jumpers

Yeah, those Ish jumpers stank of "I don't want to blow the game with a turnover, so just run out the shot clock and then throw up some poo poo and we'll try to win with defense" play calling

• Locked thread