Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kids going places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Doltos posted:

And it just so happened that he probably got a ton of other offers for Russell thus the Nets having to take the Mozgov contract on to beat out the competition.

I think even the best finals builders (you had Kobe.) can make mistakes and it was a huge loving mistake to give 64 million to an over the hill pudgy center that had a known busted knee at the time when guys like Ezeli, Boban, Jefferson, Cole Aldrich, or Zeller were all going for way, way cheaper. Even Dwight's contract would be a more appealing option. Mahinmi even got signed for the same amount and he had functional knees. Like I can admit that my team made a dumb loving mistake signing Noah but I don't get why you're vehemently defending a widely known moron contract.
You of all people can't ask anyone why they're arguing any point. But anyway:

Ezeli - out of the league completely, not good at PnR.
Boban - I mean congrats here's your "d-league guy who scores a couple baskets a game" guy, but he's still a work in progress as a PnR player. The Lakers wanted someone who actually already knew how to play the pick and roll
Jefferson - Al Jefferson? You mean the guy who was trying to play with Kevin Durant and wanted to be apart of a winning team?
Cole Aldrich - Extremely bad.
Cody Zeller - Wasn't an option, signed an extension before free agency.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Stanley Johnson - Shooting 36.5% from the field in his career. To be clear, that's not from 3, it's all of his shots. He's at 35.7% this year, including 29.6% from downtown.

Don't forget his lovely defense!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

boban is going to be paid like $5 million a year for the next decade to sit around a bench and be a giant ogre and i can't think of a better use of money

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Boban's only problem is that he was born 20 years too late. If he was playing in a league where all the centers were Andre Drummond/Hassan Whiteside type players he'd be a loving monster. The guy is unstoppable on offense.

But, you put any opposing center who can shoot from outside 15 feet in the game and that guy is also unstoppable on offense if Boban is trying to guard him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rick posted:

You of all people can't ask anyone why they're arguing any point. But anyway:

Ezeli - out of the league completely, not good at PnR.
Boban - I mean congrats here's your "d-league guy who scores a couple baskets a game" guy, but he's still a work in progress as a PnR player. The Lakers wanted someone who actually already knew how to play the pick and roll
Jefferson - Al Jefferson? You mean the guy who was trying to play with Kevin Durant and wanted to be apart of a winning team?
Cole Aldrich - Extremely bad.
Cody Zeller - Wasn't an option, signed an extension before free agency.

Tyler Zeller not Cody. All those guys are better than torpedoing cap space. You can hide them or get about as much production as Mozgov if you gave them minutes. The Raptors, Knicks, Hawks, Suns, Blazers, and Kings all have more cheap centers than they know what to do with and they'd all certainly give more production than a pudgy center with a busted knee.

Hey 2017 NBA free agents, want to come to LA? Here's what you get:

At least they jettisoned the cheaper half of Deng/Mozgov so whatever team they try to assemble there will have a giant Deng sized brick keeping them from landing a third star or a reliable bench.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Man, I remember Ellenson was that guy people were squinting real hard at an thinking maybe Kevin Love with handles

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Those Lakers signings were some the worst GM moves of all time. This combined with every other bone headed move by kupwhatever can only lead you to conclude that he is in fact not Billy 5aces but rather a lucky idiot.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

Don't forget his lovely defense!

He has an excuse for everything, he plays well when Luke Kennard is on the floor, because Kennard is left handed and that lets Johnson go to his more natural side. The fact that Tobias Harris is also left handed, I don't know.

Hair theory, stone man theory

WhyteRyce posted:

Man, I remember Ellenson was that guy people were squinting real hard at an thinking maybe Kevin Love with handles

MV screaming that he only shot 29% on threes in college was the truest thing ever spoken

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Oh, Lillard, why did you have to respond to Russ?

Dame posted:

"I respect Russ a lot, so it was kind of disappointing to see him say that," Lillard said prior to Wednesday's game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. "Because he's played against me, he's played against our team, he knows what I've accomplished. Not just this year, but over my career. So it was a little bit disappointing, but I know that I earned my spot this year. And that's pretty much what it is: I earned my spot."

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/956379814251941889

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

He made the loving team and he's still whining

gently caress Damian Lillard

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"This dump truck of money suddenly came out of nowhere!"

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I mean the easy answer is someone asked him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

OKC has PG’s Bird rights yeah? They’re gonna offer him a ton of money and it’ll be hard to walk away from

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

I've never ever seen a player's rep totally disintegrate like KD's has over the last two seasons, it's remarkable

I think it's a lot of SA groupthink. NBA fans I know outside of this thread aren't nearly as vicious and / or hateful of KD.

fake edit - maybe that's because all my friends are bitchmade pussies right?!?!?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Doltos posted:

Tyler Zeller not Cody. All those guys are better than torpedoing cap space. You can hide them or get about as much production as Mozgov if you gave them minutes. The Raptors, Knicks, Hawks, Suns, Blazers, and Kings all have more cheap centers than they know what to do with and they'd all certainly give more production than a pudgy center with a busted knee.

Hey 2017 NBA free agents, want to come to LA? Here's what you get:

At least they jettisoned the cheaper half of Deng/Mozgov so whatever team they try to assemble there will have a giant Deng sized brick keeping them from landing a third star or a reliable bench.

Again, I'll ask this--and I'm only asking this again because you're clearly the only one actually bothering to come up with any original thoughts on this---what did the Lakers need this cap space for? They had 17 million dollars in cap space last year (the same as if they had kept Russell and Mosgov), they were set to have in the mid 20s this offseason (with the ability to make more if they really needed it). Both last year and next year featured classes with a couple good players at the top and massive drop offs afterwards.

I mean I guess if they didn't sign Mosgov they could've made a real play at Paul Milsap this offseason. But I mean I think he still ultimately chooses Denver.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/956401530197995520

:lol: you don't say

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rick posted:

Again, I'll ask this--and I'm only asking this again because you're clearly the only one actually bothering to come up with any original thoughts on this---what did the Lakers need this cap space for? They had 17 million dollars in cap space last year (the same as if they had kept Russell and Mosgov), they were set to have in the mid 20s this offseason (with the ability to make more if they really needed it). Both last year and next year featured classes with a couple good players at the top and massive drop offs afterwards.

I mean I guess if they didn't sign Mosgov they could've made a real play at Paul Milsap this offseason. But I mean I think he still ultimately chooses Denver.

My main argument is just don't spend it. I know you have to reach a cap floor but you shouldn't blast past it into the second story. I just don't get giving a four year contract to an old center with freshly injured knee. Luol Deng was a gamble since they thought they'd be getting a 14ish point a game wing who could teach their young guys and it didn't pan out at all. Mozgov just was a dumb contract and almost as dumb as Noah's.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Rick, this isn't productive and you should probably disengage

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Why would marquee players be afraid of losing, the NBA has rigged it before so that one of their poster boys would win

Perhaps LBJs ethical standards are too high to partake in that. He might have qualms. Blake Griffin OTOH was ready and willing to dunk over a cheap car.

CRISPYBABY posted:

...a small part of my brain feels weird betting against Lebron. I won't really believe it till I see it, but Lebron also used to be ridiculously good while still not making the finals ever year so obviously there's a precedent.

The last time LBJ was on a team with a negative SRS was the 2008 Cavaliers and they didn't even make the ECF. The final minutes of the 2008 ECSF against BOS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66FNMqAAmX4&t=686s

LBJ played alongside seventy other guys from 2004-2010 and every single one of them is now retired (except 2010 Danny Green). Every single teammate he had from the 2008 and 2010 playoff series are gone.

So it gives some perspective on how long its been since LBJ went home early.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Maybe Gilbert knows Lebron is leaving and wants to sell the franchise before it nosedives in value

I don't believe even the trash franchises are going down at all in value.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I bet Baltimore could use an NBA team.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Zogo posted:

I don't believe even the trash franchises are going down at all in value.

The trash franchises don't stand to lose the greatest player in the history of the league!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Police called on suspicious person offering ‘free-throw advice’ at KU men’s basketball dorm

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/crime_blog/2018/jan/24/police-called-on-suspicious-person-offer/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Rick, this isn't productive and you should probably disengage

Oh it's definitely not and I was basically done but Doltos player list was legitimately interesting to me.

Doltos posted:

My main argument is just don't spend it. I know you have to reach a cap floor but you shouldn't blast past it into the second story. I just don't get giving a four year contract to an old center with freshly injured knee. Luol Deng was a gamble since they thought they'd be getting a 14ish point a game wing who could teach their young guys and it didn't pan out at all. Mozgov just was a dumb contract and almost as dumb as Noah's.

I just don't see why a team with a billion dollar TV contract needs to save money.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Police called on suspicious person offering ‘free-throw advice’ at KU men’s basketball dorm

http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/crime_blog/2018/jan/24/police-called-on-suspicious-person-offer/

Rick Barry takes his campaign for the underhand free throws too far.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I always figured Mitch Kupchak would have another GM job by now. I can't tell if it's him not getting offers or him just turning them down (but there's no way anyone does that right?). Do people not think he was a good GM? I always thought of him as one for the most part.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Away all Goats posted:

Jay Triano helping Devin Booker practice for the 3pt shooting contest

https://streamable.com/ylv7b

One day we hope to bring ball racks to Indiana.

We just arnt there on the technology yet.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

:bisonyes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Drummond should have been an AS. That's a weak snub

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
https://streamable.com/vzsct

Fuckin Got ‘Em.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Bip Roberts posted:

I bet Baltimore could use an NBA team.

a team with lebron james on it, imo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

Drummond should have been an AS. That's a weak snub

He very nearly won a game by himself last night with Gobert as his matchup.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Do you think anyone on the court of basketball has walked up to Chris Paul and, said, two first names?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I always figured Mitch Kupchak would have another GM job by now. I can't tell if it's him not getting offers or him just turning them down (but there's no way anyone does that right?). Do people not think he was a good GM? I always thought of him as one for the most part.

He signed an extension in 2014 that was probably 4 years, so I assume he's still getting Lakers checks as long as he doesn't take another GM spot. Plus have there been any interesting vacancies this past off-season? Kupchak probably wouldn't want to take some treadmill, fall-guy job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

vaginal facsimile posted:

Do you think anyone on the court of basketball has walked up to Chris Paul and, said, two first names?

Man so nice, they named him twice.

Speaking of CP3, the person he gave the fake laugh and scowl to was......Steve Kerr.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Pistons streak of poor play pretty much lines up with when Reggie Jackson went out. I didn't expect his absence to make such a big impact.
:eyepop: Lakers gonna need to settle for LeBron then

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zogo posted:

Perhaps LBJs ethical standards are too high to partake in that. He might have qualms. Blake Griffin OTOH was ready and willing to dunk over a cheap car.
This is a really good "seems like a conspiracy theory but actually is like 99% likely to be true" claim (dunk contest was rigged for Blake in advance and was stolen from Javale)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

Views: Despite being drafted over Donovan Mitchell, Luke Kennard isn't that bad.

Monk maybe/probably being the worst of those three is extremely upsetting

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Rick posted:

I just don't see why a team with a billion dollar TV contract needs to save money.

Because cap space doesn't have anything to do with TV contract money. You're capped just like every other team and your team with your GM who miraculously built a ton of final teams with only having one of the best players of all time on his franchise for 20 years just so happened to have wasted over a third of that cap on poo poo players that they have to give up assets in order to get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

shaq wasnt on the lakers for 20 years

• Locked thread