Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Louisgod posted:

Who's the best person to bond Vess to?

Also, is it possible to get more than one of the unique blades? As in if I pull the stupid polar bear and child blade can I also get her on Rex, or is it one and done, must user an Overdrive to bond to another person?

I used Vess on Nia.

You can only get one rare blade, no doubles.

Spoilers ahoy.

Rex gets the ability to use any blade down the road, so I would advise against giving him too many rare blades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

Who's the best person to bond Vess to?

Also, is it possible to get more than one of the unique blades? As in if I pull the stupid polar bear and child blade can I also get her on Rex, or is it one and done, must user an Overdrive to bond to another person?

You gotta overdrive her, they're unique individuals. It's not really something to worry about unless you somehow stack a bunch of Rare Blades on a single character, you'll easily get around 3/4's of them out of random :rolldice: and sidequesting by the end of the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Good Citizen posted:

Never use an overdrive to bond a blade to Rex. Not sure if we should go into why but I’d recommend against it

Okay, good to know, was just using that as an example though.

On that note, what makes Legendary Cores unique? Simply that you have a higher chance to get a unique blade? I swear all the unique blades I've gotten have been from common crystals.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

Okay, good to know, was just using that as an example though.

On that note, what makes Legendary Cores unique? Simply that you have a higher chance to get a unique blade? I swear all the unique blades I've gotten have been from common crystals.

You still need to roll some CC's on Rex as you go, because what they're talking about is about 85% through the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You still need to roll some CC's on Rex as you go, because what they're talking about is about 85% through the game.

Not sure I understand how that answers the question about Legendary Cores..?

Also, who's the best person to bond Vess to?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

Rex is probably best if you generally play as him. You really want a clutch Healer-type for when Nia decides you should all die rather than swap back to Dromarch.

Also your odds of getting anything better out of a Legendary Core Crystal are approximately laughable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're also making it worse by concealing the party members, because you've definitively stated there are five of them, and "four" is a character that does not fit Vandham's description. Wonder what that openly implies... :thunk:

I've never once said or implied that there are only five, I don't know what you're talking about at all.

louisgod posted:

The short answer is that nobody knows how much difference legendary/rare/common cores make. The same goes for boosters. Maybe it makes your odds of a rare higher but really, who knows.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I just made Nia a double healer. Is that wrong? Like I burnt an overdrive to get a healing rare off him and onto her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I've never once said or implied that there are only five, I don't know what you're talking about at all.

The short answer is that nobody knows how much difference legendary/rare/common cores make. The same goes for boosters. Maybe it makes your odds of a rare higher but really, who knows.

Nobody in the thread has ever said "Six", spoilered or otherwise. That is pretty conclusive.

Also I've personally rolled seven Legendaries and haven't got squat from them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Louisgod posted:

Give her to Nia.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I just made Nia a double healer. Is that wrong? Like I burnt an overdrive to get a healing rare off him and onto her.

I'd say it's best to give all your healers to Nia.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does that ever come up? I always figured she had a thing for Aegaeon, considering he's usually what she talks about.

She thinks of him more as a younger brother I thought. It's Jin she had a thing for.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I slightly disagree on the "Don't overdrive anyone to Rex" thing. It's fine to do it with one or so I think in a certain situation.

Later-game mechanic spoilers: While Rex does get the ability to use any blade, at least for me that came a good ways in as I spent a lot of time doing non-story stuff. Without overdriving anyone to him, if you didn't get a rare on him with core crystals, you're stuck with Wulfric and Roc as his guaranteed rare blades, not counting Praxis, Theory, Vess, Sheba, Kassandra, etc, who you don't really want on him anyways. Arguably you don't want Wulfric on him either. Wulfric and Roc aren't necessarily who you want, even though they're quite good - they might not fit your playstyle. Had I gotten Gorg or Zenobia early on Nia or someone, I would undoubtedly have overdriven one of them to Rex to start out with.

Overdrives aren't hyper-rare. The game gives you a reasonable number, and you get 5 more guaranteed once you fill out the driver affinity tree for each driver. Not counting the ones you can get from 4-star blades, that's like 8-9 overdrives that your'e guaranteed. That's generally enough to move people where you want them for post-game, unless you had absolutely atrocious luck and got literally everyone on the wrong driver, including one to put whoever you sent to Rex back if needed. Unless you need to move EVERYONE and not just the good ones.

ssb fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 25, 2018

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
When people unlocked Pyra's "swap characters in combat 4000 times" affinity requirement, how many did they already have? 1,999 down, 2001 to go for me :gonk:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
What does the art cancellation affinity chart skill do? I unlocked it on just about everybody but the game isn't exactly forthcoming with mechanics.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Louisgod posted:

What does the art cancellation affinity chart skill do? I unlocked it on just about everybody but the game isn't exactly forthcoming with mechanics.

It allows you to use your driver arts one after the other, rather than waiting for auto-attacks in between, by triggering the next driver art at the moment the previous one connects. It is the single strongest upgrade and should be prioritized on everyone, since it dramatically increases both your damage output and your ability to generate specials (which come from using arts).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Zoran posted:

It allows you to use your driver arts one after the other, rather than waiting for auto-attacks in between, by triggering the next driver art at the moment the previous one connects. It is the single strongest upgrade and should be prioritized on everyone, since it dramatically increases both your damage output and your ability to generate specials (which come from using arts).

Great, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming. I noticed I was able to chain arts like that once it was approved but the word cancellation is an odd one to go with. They should've gone with art chain or something like that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Great, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming. I noticed I was able to chain arts like that once it was approved but the word cancellation is an odd one to go with. They should've gone with art chain or something like that.

Yeah, art chain would've been way better. Calling it cancelling is stupid because you can only "cancel" an art as it hits, soooo you're not exactly cancelling anything

e: that art cancel upgrade is amazing with Mythra because of that "recharge arts upon landing a critical" skill she has. If you're lucky you can chain like 10 arts together and just steamroll your way through anything

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, art chain would've been way better. Calling it cancelling is stupid because you can only "cancel" an art as it hits, soooo you're not exactly cancelling anything

e: that art cancel upgrade is amazing with Mythra because of that "recharge arts upon landing a critical" skill she has. If you're lucky you can chain like 10 arts together and just steamroll your way through anything

You're cancelling the next auto-attack

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

IcePhoenix posted:

The description in the affinity chart is "Lets you use a Driver Art after canceling a Driver art"

Not trying to mince words but that's not what you're doing, according to the game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Louisgod posted:

The description in the affinity chart is "Lets you use a Driver Art after canceling a Driver art"

Not trying to mince words but that's not what you're doing, according to the game.

You're also technically cancelling the animation of the previous attack, which might be what they mean now that I think of it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

not if it's the last attack in your auto-attack sequence. Hell, you can "cancel" switching Blades into a healing art into a Blade switch into an attack art into a special. Calling it cancelling is just confusing because it goes so much further than auto-attacks

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Until recently I didn't know Mythra gets a blade skill that has a chance of automatically refreshing the art you just used with apparently ni limitations and with a pretty high chance of it proccing
So I had Rex do something silly like a 17 art combo culminating on a lvl 3 special that frickin rekt a unique monster

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Where in the game do you see the stat benefits of the advanced classes? Do I just have to record my stats and play with blade config to see what changes or is there somewhere that says "Wild warrior provides better x at the cost of y"?

*edit* never mind, I found it RIGHT after I hit post. In case others missed it, it's on your set blade screen as a separation bar between the top blade window and your stats on the bottom window.

*edit 2* *sigh* I'm trying to get a common attack blade on Rex so I can tipple attack.. I've opened 2 rare blades from common cores on him now. And no attack blades out of 15 cores.

*edit 3* Do you get any benefits from the Aux cores equipped to your set but not active blades? I.E. Dumping Shackle resists on my third blade that I almost never pull out in combat other than for level 3 combo's.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 25, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

You're also technically cancelling the animation of the previous attack, which might be what they mean now that I think of it

I feel like in the tutorial it words it as cancelling the animation of the previous attack.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Until recently I didn't know Mythra gets a blade skill that has a chance of automatically refreshing the art you just used with apparently ni limitations and with a pretty high chance of it proccing
So I had Rex do something silly like a 17 art combo culminating on a lvl 3 special that frickin rekt a unique monster

That whole thing is pretty necessary for the crit heal builds too. Late-game with her affinity maxed out, appropriate weapon chip, and appropriate aux cores, you should basically be able to be doing nonstop arts/specials with Rex/Mythra, switching out only for different elements in specials or for driver combos as needed. It's incredibly powerful.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Calaveron posted:

That's part of the "blender build" for Mythra. If you look at her affinity tree it's one of the yellow node, and it refills an art's gauge by 60/70/80/90/100% if you crit while using it. You may recall that a couple arts have multiple attacks, if ANY of those attacks cit then it refills the gauge.

The second part of the blender is spinning edge, because it hits twice, increasing your chance to get a crit.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Double… Spinning… EDGE!
Double… Spinning… EDGE!
Double… Spinning… EDGE!
Double… Spinning… EDGE!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

good ol' spinning edge
good ol' spinning edge
good ol' spinning edge

Kilazar posted:

Where in the game do you see the stat benefits of the advanced classes? Do I just have to record my stats and play with blade config to see what changes or is there somewhere that says "Wild warrior provides better x at the cost of y"?

is it really that complicated? I thought the class bonuses were just

- damage up for every ATK blade equipped
- aggro down/healing up for every HLR blade equipped
- aggro up/damage reduction for every TNK blade equipped

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It’s a fighting game term

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

good ol' spinning edge
good ol' spinning edge
good ol' spinning edge

is it really that complicated? I thought the class bonuses were just

- damage up for every ATK blade equipped
- aggro down/healing up for every HLR blade equipped
- aggro up/damage reduction for every TNK blade equipped

Turns out it is not that complicated. But I did not know that until I found the spot that it shows the bonuses.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 25, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

shortspecialbus posted:

Overdrives aren't hyper-rare. The game gives you a reasonable number, and you get 5 more guaranteed once you fill out the driver affinity tree for each driver. Not counting the ones you can get from 4-star blades, that's like 8-9 overdrives that your'e guaranteed. That's generally enough to move people where you want them for post-game, unless you had absolutely atrocious luck and got literally everyone on the wrong driver, including one to put whoever you sent to Rex back if needed. Unless you need to move EVERYONE and not just the good ones.

There are enough acquirable overdrives to get all blades on the people you want them on in the post-game, but for the purposes of 95% of the story you're unlikely to get more than 3 or 4.

That being said, it's not necessarily a bad idea to switch one thing to Rex early on. I switched a Gorg from Nia to Rex and he served me well through a lot of the earlier game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You definitely want Gorg on Rex if you want to go after Driver Combos because you need an Axe to give him the ability to Launch and he gets a story blade that lets him Smash. That story blade is Wind so if you get Zenobia on him that's doubling up on elements. Same with Dagas, who is fire, and Rex always has a fire blade on already.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xarbala posted:

You definitely want Gorg on Rex if you want to go after Driver Combos because you need an Axe to give him the ability to Launch and he gets a story blade that lets him Smash. That story blade is Wind so if you get Zenobia on him that's doubling up on elements. Same with Dagas, who is fire, and Rex always has a fire blade on already.

Gorg or Agate, but keep in mind that Rex can equip any blade later on so

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

I slightly disagree on the "Don't overdrive anyone to Rex" thing. It's fine to do it with one or so I think in a certain situation.

Later-game mechanic spoilers: While Rex does get the ability to use any blade, at least for me that came a good ways in as I spent a lot of time doing non-story stuff. Without overdriving anyone to him, if you didn't get a rare on him with core crystals, you're stuck with Wulfric and Roc as his guaranteed rare blades, not counting Praxis, Theory, Vess, Sheba, Kassandra, etc, who you don't really want on him anyways. Arguably you don't want Wulfric on him either. Wulfric and Roc aren't necessarily who you want, even though they're quite good - they might not fit your playstyle. Had I gotten Gorg or Zenobia early on Nia or someone, I would undoubtedly have overdriven one of them to Rex to start out with.

I beat the game and most of the super bosses post game and I still never got enough affinity to max out every character I would not count those at all usable during the actual game. Same reason maxing the 4 stars barely counts because by the time you get 4 stars and put in the time to max them you've probably beaten the game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

bizarre deformity posted:

Gorg or Agate, but keep in mind that Rex can equip any blade later on so

True so you don't want to go overboard. But putting Gorg on Rex helped me out a lot for the vast bulk of the actual game, which imo is more important than minmaxing your roster at the very end.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I beat the game and most of the super bosses post game and I still never got enough affinity to max out every character I would not count those at all usable during the actual game. Same reason maxing the 4 stars barely counts because by the time you get 4 stars and put in the time to max them you've probably beaten the game.

Sure, but you shouldn't be caring that much about this stuff for non-postgame. The main story is easy to beat with really whatever you do, the blades are more for fun than anything in that situation. The min/maxing by spreading them around perfectly only matters for the postgame. I was nowhere near completing driver affinity trees at the end of the main story, to be certain. But postgame I just burned through them. You could probably easily beat the main story with just story blades and un-affinitied 1-star fire blades on everyone without much trouble.

You don't need to worry about overdrives for the main story except to get a couple blades where you want them. Honestly you should worry more about driver combos in the main story - I skipped it for the longest time because I didn't get any rare axe blades til Chapter 8 or so, and then I loaded Gorg and Roc onto Rex and trivialized everything from that point on. I could have done the same thing with any axe blade on him, I just didn't. Or just rely on Zeke for launches with Pandoria, I guess - I didn't do that either til later on.

I'm probably exaggerating a bit here but you could beat the story with the 'wrong' blades on everyone without much trouble.

Edit: my point is that burning an overdrive to put someone fun on Rex isn't going to cause you problems by the time you actually need to be moving more around.

Edit 2: Plus the non-random blades that you get to choose where they go are generally quite good, so using those during the story would solve the problem too, really. Overdrives are really a post-game necessity for the most part.

ssb fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 26, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got terrifying boob monster Dahlia so I'm just one rare blade away from catching them all! It's Zenobia.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

bizarre deformity posted:

I finally got terrifying boob monster Dahlia so I'm just one rare blade away from catching them all! It's Zenobia.

I'm sorry :( She was my second to last one, I feel your pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Sure, but you shouldn't be caring that much about this stuff for non-postgame. The main story is easy to beat with really whatever you do, the blades are more for fun than anything in that situation. The min/maxing by spreading them around perfectly only matters for the postgame. I was nowhere near completing driver affinity trees at the end of the main story, to be certain. But postgame I just burned through them. You could probably easily beat the main story with just story blades and un-affinitied 1-star fire blades on everyone without much trouble.

You don't need to worry about overdrives for the main story except to get a couple blades where you want them. Honestly you should worry more about driver combos in the main story - I skipped it for the longest time because I didn't get any rare axe blades til Chapter 8 or so, and then I loaded Gorg and Roc onto Rex and trivialized everything from that point on. I could have done the same thing with any axe blade on him, I just didn't. Or just rely on Zeke for launches with Pandoria, I guess - I didn't do that either til later on.

I'm probably exaggerating a bit here but you could beat the story with the 'wrong' blades on everyone without much trouble.

Edit: my point is that burning an overdrive to put someone fun on Rex isn't going to cause you problems by the time you actually need to be moving more around.

Edit 2: Plus the non-random blades that you get to choose where they go are generally quite good, so using those during the story would solve the problem too, really. Overdrives are really a post-game necessity for the most part.

This conversation started about a dude at the start of the game trying to figure out which cores to open for his first rares, that will determine what he will use for the next like 60-80 hours that is something to care about.