Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

Mine did, pretty sure. At work, but when I can get on my own computer I'll pull it up.

Well, it sure as poo poo didn't import my DA2 choices. I may have trouble remembering a lot of the smaller choices, but I know I did not, in fact, execute Anders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

Well, it sure as poo poo didn't import my DA2 choices. I may have trouble remembering a lot of the smaller choices, but I know I did not, in fact, execute Anders.
Just tested and yeah, pulled everything over just fine.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Just tested and yeah, pulled everything over just fine.

Is there some trick to it, then? Any time I try to setup a new world state in the Keep with one of my imported characters, nothing changes except the name/face/race/class/etc of the hero itself. None of the choices change away from the default.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Is there some trick to it, then? Any time I try to setup a new world state in the Keep with one of my imported characters, nothing changes except the name/face/race/class/etc of the hero itself. None of the choices change away from the default.

Worth noting in case there is confusion: I do not have Inquisition. I am referring to the Keep (the website) reading the choices made in the save files from Origins and 2. It can identify my Warden and my version of Hawke, but nothing that was done in their playthrough is read, and the Tapestry is created with nothing but default choices such as no romance, didn't give Sten his sword, and so on. Mentioning this because I've seen people reporting that Inquisition isn't loading their choices from the Keep in various cases, but that's not my problem.

EDIT: Ack, I meant to hit the edit button there, not quote. Sorry. But yes, this is why I'm looking for some alternate option to read my save-file from DA2, because the Keep does not.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 25, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What the gently caress is a "live" element and why does EA think dragon age needs it

this sucks

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

What the gently caress is a "live" element and why does EA think dragon age needs it

this sucks

Something you keep paying money for after you've bought the game.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ainsley McTree posted:

this sucks

It seems to translate to "ways we can get a continual money stream out of this game"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Something you keep paying money for after you've bought the game.

If there's one lesson to be learned from the fiascous launch of battlefront 2, it's that players love this stuff, good on EA for paying attention

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

Not that I'm aware of. You can now import Inquisition characters and I noticed that one was acting a bit weird, but then I restarted one playthrough way back using an earlier save so that might be throwing it off.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Not that I'm aware of. You can now import Inquisition characters and I noticed that one was acting a bit weird, but then I restarted one playthrough way back using an earlier save so that might be throwing it off.

Doublechecking again, I don't have Inquisition (yet), so are you talking about importing Inquisition saves to the Keep, the Keep to Inquisition, or DA:O/DA2 to the Keep? Because it's that last one where it's not pulling my choices. It pulls the characters, but not the choices. And it's the choices that I'm looking for.

This little thing here does exactly what I'm looking for, but only for Origins. I'm hoping to find something (not the Keep) that does this, but for DA2

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BlazetheInferno posted:

Doublechecking again, I don't have Inquisition (yet), so are you talking about importing Inquisition saves to the Keep, the Keep to Inquisition, or DA:O/DA2 to the Keep? Because it's that last one where it's not pulling my choices. It pulls the characters, but not the choices. And it's the choices that I'm looking for.

This little thing here does exactly what I'm looking for, but only for Origins. I'm hoping to find something that does this, but for DA2.
Yeah, I'm saying my DAO/DA2 saves loaded just fine, it's DAI that's behaving funky for me. I am on console though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Yeah, I'm saying my DAO/DA2 saves loaded just fine, it's DAI that's behaving funky for me. I am on console though.

I dunno. Maybe it's just PC games it can't load the decisions for or something? I remember hearing elsewhere even before trying it out that it couldn't load the choices you made in the first two games though (though I can't remember where), so I don't think it's just me. Still, that regardless leaves me to continue my search.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

this sucks

Think MMO or, even worse, a mobile game. Monthly fees are probably a nogo but constantly pestering you for microtransactions and nerfing anything not behind a paywall? Sounds like EA. I guess Destiny 2 is a sorta MMO but has it been the giant success the first was? I've had no temptation to try it out. I seriously wish the big companies like EA would just piss off to endlessly creating mobile games and Battlefield/Modern Warfare yearly clones and leave the rest of the games industry be. Its almost like the b plot in some 90s sci fi where some megacorp destroys/consumes all competitors until you are only left with.... Taco Bell. For every meal. Always. Forever.

Ginette Reno posted:

I wish designers would follow the choices Witcher 3 makes. That game has a gently caress load of content but almost all of it is interesting. Even the side quests in that game have good writing and intriguing hooks. I was totally blown away by how they managed to do that because a lot of times side quests in games can feel like busy work or have lazy writing. Not so for the Witcher.

A DA game made in that style would own
Amen. I'm playing Fallout4 now. I love the whole fallout world but coming from Witcher 3 its shallow. I think DA:I had more meat. Good thing there's mods although its buggy on console. Witcher 3 was so well done. Its been praised and tossed heaps of money so I keep hoping game devs pay attention.

God I hope DA4 defies all our fears and goes more Witcher 3 but with multiple origins. After my last comment, it I really want to play a Dwarven Surface Ambassador for the ever expanding Bhelan Aeducan empire, playing the Tevinter against the Qunari and chuckling as we Dwarves end up nabbing the land they were fighting for. Maybe make some kind of infernal pact I later completely regret.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BlazetheInferno posted:

I dunno. Maybe it's just PC games it can't load the decisions for or something? I remember hearing elsewhere even before trying it out that it couldn't load the choices you made in the first two games though (though I can't remember where), so I don't think it's just me. Still, that regardless leaves me to continue my search.

I'm on console as well, and the Keep works fine for me. It sucks that it apparently doesn't for everyone. :(

Von_Doom posted:

Amen. I'm playing Fallout4 now. I love the whole fallout world but coming from Witcher 3 its shallow. I think DA:I had more meat. Good thing there's mods although its buggy on console. Witcher 3 was so well done. Its been praised and tossed heaps of money so I keep hoping game devs pay attention.

I think devs definitely pay attention. It's the publishers you have to worry about.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Von_Doom posted:

Its been praised and tossed heaps of money so I keep hoping game devs pay attention.

How much more money could it have made with loot crates though? Sadly that's something those kinds of people are probably actually asking. They aren't satisfied with making a ton of money, they want all the money.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem isn't about the profitability, it's about the margin. You could invest tons of care, manpower and developer time into crafting a really dedicated single player experience like The Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn and see a nice return, or just poo poo out what is basically a multiplayer gambling front with lootboxes for insane profits every time. The former involves a lot of creative risk, your product could fail critically which might adversely affect sales, and the latter plugs directly into people's lizard brains so that you make your money back no matter what gently caress da haters buy our $200 super deluxe mega hype edition with 5 free lootboxes. EA has seen tremendous returns on investment from the card system first implemented in FIFA and over the last five years has tried to homogenize all of their products into the exact same thing.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Thinking back on DA:I. I played through the whole game without talking to Solas at all. Surprise to me when he turned out to be important!

That's not true, I talked to him something like twice. And I ended up making him really angry, and I didn't like his big, stupid, shiny head so I said "FINE, stay in your weird room I forget even exists half the time until I run through it and get all Gandalf 'I have no memory of this place.'"

Yea.

Also, Blackwall, Dorian, and Sera were my favorite teammates and never left my party. Honestly, DA:I was the first Bioware game where I mostly ignored my teammates (except for these 3, really). I think DA:2 started that trend for me, where I ignored whatever that angst elf guys name was, since whatever I said made him angry.

But, anyway, Dorian was the best and I hope I get to kill Solas or something (I'm actually kind of "meh" on Solas. A little peeved that he took my hand). We still spoiling stuff from DA:I? Not really following the thread.

Sorry for rambling, just felt like sharing.

Edit: I heard that maybe/probably DA4 will/could be set in Tevinter. That'd be pretty cool. Maybe Dorian will show up again and I can be his Sword&Shield while he obliterates our enemies with fire and purple magic.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Sometimes I kind of want to replay 1 to do a “canon” game for the keep stuff and then I remember how long it is :(

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Randallteal posted:

Dragon Age has to be the longest running game franchise where the company has no idea what to do with it and every sequel's dev cycle is a compromised shitshow. It's amazing any of these have been any good.

the brain drain at bioware has probably caused a sisyphean cycle of relearning mistakes & pain every time dragon age enters developemnt

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well, at least there’s no risk of being dragon age 2’d this time, since my expectations are now officially in the gutter and any surprises can only be pleasant at this point

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well, at least there’s no risk of being dragon age 2’d this time, since my expectations are now officially in the gutter and any surprises can only be pleasant at this point

*Broodmother in the Deep Roads looks up from furiously coding*
“But we have such SIGHTS to show you!” *inhales* “...for just $4.99 in our latest ‘Guttered Expectations’ DLC package!”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

the brain drain at bioware has probably caused a sisyphean cycle of relearning mistakes & pain every time dragon age enters developemnt

the cycle continues...

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Apparently Casey Hudson has to go into twitter to clarify that “Live” meant continued stroytellling after the main story

I’ll believe it when I see it, or when someone else confirms it because I’m going to wait and hear from other people when the game comes out

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 25, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That would be just dlc then? Because no way it wasn’t going to have dlc to begin with.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Avalerion posted:

That would be just dlc then? Because no way it wasn’t going to have dlc to begin with.

They might mean regular DLC drops. Which I'd actually quite like, it's so rare that games do post-game DLC now.
Again the Witcher is the only recent example I can think of.

I'm glad there's been a huge explosion of Indie games since so many of those feel more like a labour of love. Yea they want to make money but it's not a case of "how can we make the most money" and more "what's the best game I can make here".

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

They might mean regular DLC drops. Which I'd actually quite like, it's so rare that games do post-game DLC now.
Again the Witcher is the only recent example I can think of.

I'm glad there's been a huge explosion of Indie games since so many of those feel more like a labour of love. Yea they want to make money but it's not a case of "how can we make the most money" and more "what's the best game I can make here".
Yeah, DAI had 3 DLCs and I bought all of them at full price so they got nearly the money of another full game from me. I'm cool with that, all of the DLCs were good (especially Trespasser), it gives people a reason to go back and play again/some more and makes profit. Then a couple years later they release a GOTY edition and people who weren't on the bandwagon at the time can get it all at a reduced price.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PureRok posted:

Thinking back on DA:I. I played through the whole game without talking to Solas at all. Surprise to me when he turned out to be important!

That's not true, I talked to him something like twice. And I ended up making him really angry, and I didn't like his big, stupid, shiny head so I said "FINE, stay in your weird room I forget even exists half the time until I run through it and get all Gandalf 'I have no memory of this place.'"

Yea.

Also, Blackwall, Dorian, and Sera were my favorite teammates and never left my party. Honestly, DA:I was the first Bioware game where I mostly ignored my teammates (except for these 3, really). I think DA:2 started that trend for me, where I ignored whatever that angst elf guys name was, since whatever I said made him angry.

But, anyway, Dorian was the best and I hope I get to kill Solas or something (I'm actually kind of "meh" on Solas. A little peeved that he took my hand). We still spoiling stuff from DA:I? Not really following the thread.

Sorry for rambling, just felt like sharing.

Edit: I heard that maybe/probably DA4 will/could be set in Tevinter. That'd be pretty cool. Maybe Dorian will show up again and I can be his Sword&Shield while he obliterates our enemies with fire and purple magic.

Did you get this dialogue option in Trespasser? It always makes me laugh because of how wounded he looks when you say it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9MVLhhww0s

I'm not sure the exact conditions on it. I think you have to basically not ever ask him questions.

e: Solas is my favorite party member but he's definitely a bit of a prick if you disagree with him.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If Bioware goes down or just gets out of the single-player (mostly) rpg business I just hope they do it after I get to go after Solas. It might be my favorite cliffhanger ever but the payoff will make or break it.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

Apparently Casey Hudson has to go into twitter to clarify that “Live” meant continued stroytellling after the main story

I’ll believe it when I see it, or when someone else confirms it because I’m going to wait and hear from other people when the game comes out

I could see it being something like Assassin's Creed Origins, with gear, mounts and special encounters/boss fights being dribbled out every few weeks for real money.

Maybe that's just me hoping, since AC:O turned out surprisingly good, and I have paid zero dollars for any of the "Live" content.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hopefully that’s all it is, but I trust EA a lot less than I trust Ubisoft right now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yeah, DAI had 3 DLCs and I bought all of them at full price so they got nearly the money of another full game from me. I'm cool with that, all of the DLCs were good (especially Trespasser), it gives people a reason to go back and play again/some more and makes profit. Then a couple years later they release a GOTY edition and people who weren't on the bandwagon at the time can get it all at a reduced price.

Only one was post-game though and even then it wasn't a lot of stuff.
The Dragon Age DLC model seems the worst alongside Mass Effect. Small things for huge amounts of money until much later when they release them all at once.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm fine with paying $15 for 4-8 hours of content in a game I enjoy :shrug: If you feel like that's a ripoff then you can wait for the GOTY or not buy it at all. It's miles better than $3 for a box of random poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ginette Reno posted:

Did you get this dialogue option in Trespasser? It always makes me laugh because of how wounded he looks when you say it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9MVLhhww0s

I'm not sure the exact conditions on it. I think you have to basically not ever ask him questions.

e: Solas is my favorite party member but he's definitely a bit of a prick if you disagree with him.

Man, the animation on his reaction is approx. 10 million times better than anything in Andromeda

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Man remember when DAO having on-disc day-one dlc was notable as being especially moneygrubbing?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That dude who sat in your camp with the quest marker over his head until you bought DLC is still one of the scummiest moneygrubbing moves in all gaming history.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm fine with paying $15 for 4-8 hours of content in a game I enjoy :shrug: If you feel like that's a ripoff then you can wait for the GOTY or not buy it at all. It's miles better than $3 for a box of random poo poo.

I could get a whole game for £15 though. Maybe it feels more reasonable in dollars but 4 hours of content that doesn't advance the story feels a bit shabby.
I was fine getting them altogether but it would have felt like a waste otherwise.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

I could get a whole game for £15 though. Maybe it feels more reasonable in dollars but 4 hours of content that doesn't advance the story feels a bit shabby.
I was fine getting them altogether but it would have felt like a waste otherwise.
That's fine too! My point being DLC content is preferable to stupid lootbox poo poo - I'll pay for the former but will completely ignore the latter. If BW/EA switch to making DA a lootbox-infested P2W subscription mess I'm going to stop buying the games altogether and then they won't get any money from me at all. I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Xun posted:

Sometimes I kind of want to replay 1 to do a “canon” game for the keep stuff and then I remember how long it is :(

I feel the same way, except also I'm pretty sure that everything in development at Bioware is functionally dead except for Anthem, and whether or not they get shuttered will hinge on Anthem's degree of success (and revenue tail).

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I don't know how EA plans to ruin Dragon Age but I'm sure it'll be bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The kett invade your castle and it turns out thedas was just a planet in the andromeda galaxy