Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Regy Rusty posted:

Taking everything Shawn says about the past cases as true (which I think is probably the case since they endeavored to use the truth as a smokescreen) Mindy is most likely #2 as her case happened 30 years previously and "judge" Shawn claimed he'd been in goo for 29 years. So I fully expect a payoff on case #1 at some point. I like your theory.

Yeah, also that means Mindy could give us a definitive answer on how long time has passed since their deaths during which there was 800 reboots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I think the portal-judge also did Mindy. We know she is actually medium place, but Shawn was just playing a bit in season 1 and said he judged her. He wasn't actually her judge then in goo for 30 years.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I will be legitimately sad when the Judge isn’t Steve Austen.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sbaldrick posted:

I will be legitimately sad when the Judge isn’t Steve Austen.

If it's not, that just means they're gonna pay off Eleanor's crush on Stone Cold some other way, so I won't be too mad.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

I think the portal-judge also did Mindy. We know she is actually medium place, but Shawn was just playing a bit in season 1 and said he judged her. He wasn't actually her judge then in goo for 30 years.

Yes I know that. What I mean was that while Shawn was lying about BEING the judge for the sake of their plan, I don't think the things he said about the judge's previous cases were lies.

swickles posted:

Yeah, also that means Mindy could give us a definitive answer on how long time has passed since their deaths during which there was 800 reboots.

Yeah and we still don't have any kind of idea for of what relationship passage of time in the afterlife has to the living world. Of course that might never matter.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
One thing that bugs me about the Bad Place; why would demons subject THEMSELVES to the horrors and inconveniences humans face? If those are things they enjoy, wouldn't they celebrate the humans who enter the Bad Place? And if those are things they hate, then why do they continue to do things like play Pirates of the Caribbean 6 forever?

My theory: they hate all that stuff too, and whoever created the system did it that way because the demons aren't inherently bad, but living in a world like that primes them to take all their frustration out on humans through torture without compunction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah and we still don't have any kind of idea for of what relationship passage of time in the afterlife has to the living world

Well Michael did say the Jaguars would "never win" the Superbowl, and when Jason assumed he was telling an absolute truth based on knowledge of the future, he came back with basically "no I can't see the future, but come on"

I read way too much into the jokes on this show

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Argue posted:

One thing that bugs me about the Bad Place; why would demons subject THEMSELVES to the horrors and inconveniences humans face? If those are things they enjoy, wouldn't they celebrate the humans who enter the Bad Place? And if those are things they hate, then why do they continue to do things like play Pirates of the Caribbean 6 forever?

They love torturing people, while the people being tortured do not love being tortured.

This seems pretty simple to grasp.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bad Place demons like lovely things and do lovely things, much like their subjects. In some cases they are extremely impressed by particularly lovely humans. However, unlike their subjects, demons are not held accountable for liking and doing lovely things. This is hypocritical, but in a roundabout meta way, hypocrites are simply yet another lovely thing that demons can indulge in being.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

swickles posted:

They said last episode they were waiting for the girls gone wild guy to die so I'm thinking time didn't actually pass in the real world at even close to the same rate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

They said last episode they were waiting for the girls gone wild guy to die so I'm thinking time didn't actually pass in the real world at even close to the same rate.

But Shawn said he was mad about not getting the people who made Transformers and Michael Bay isn't dead yet so I don't know what to believe

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think that was just an awkward segue, in that line he's talking about not catching the four humans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh drat that does make sense. hmmm. i think we can probably conclude that time in the Places moves at a tiny tiny fraction of Earth time (800 resets).

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Sort of like how you can have what feels like a 12-hour dream during a 20-minute nap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pwn posted:

Sort of like how you can have what feels like a 12-hour dream during a 20-minute nap.

you know, when i used to read a lot of books on dreams/lucid dreams/sleep science, they always claimed that's impossible, but it has happened to me a whole lot

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

They've been conspicuously silent on the concept of time entirely. We have no idea if time passes faster/slower/normal compared to Earth time because we haven't seen Earth except in pre-death flashbacks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

you know, when i used to read a lot of books on dreams/lucid dreams/sleep science, they always claimed that's impossible, but it has happened to me a whole lot

The books are wrong.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Who is to say that the places even exist inside time, and people only see what they are familiar with?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

oh drat that does make sense. hmmm. i think we can probably conclude that time in the Places moves at a tiny tiny fraction of Earth time (800 resets).

I mean it wouldn't be Hell if you weren't being tortured forever. And what's more torturous than being stuck in a bad scenario for what only feels like forever?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

socialsecurity posted:

I thought they just said they were waiting for him, not for him to die. He might have to travel through different departments, like spending a while with the penis flattener before someone else gets him.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

seaborgium posted:

I thought they just said they were waiting for him, not for him to die. He might have to travel through different departments, like spending a while with the penis flattener before someone else gets him.

Just checked, he says that "it started as a training program to prep for when the Girls Gone Wild guy gets here". Here presumably referring to The Bad Place in general.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

thexerox123 posted:

Just checked, he says that "it started as a training program to prep for when the Girls Gone Wild guy gets here". Here presumably referring to The Bad Place in general.

Ok, I still think going through different departments is a possibility in the Bad Place, they do have eternity after all. Having a dude spend a few centuries one place then moving on to another wouldn't be crazy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think the flow of time is completely unrelated to the flow of time on earth and souls just sort of arrive whenever.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Paul Rudd should reprise his role as Bobby Newport but God.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Democratic Pirate posted:

Paul Rudd should reprise his role as Bobby Newport but God.

can i get a hell yeah

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think the flow of time is completely unrelated to the flow of time on earth and souls just sort of arrive whenever.

Yes, I think the Good and Bad Places exist outside of linear time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WampaLord posted:

Everyone does realize they're meeting a judge, not God, right?

Like, even in the way the Good Place has laid out it's world building, they're not meeting the Ultimate Creator, they're just meeting the Most Important Judge.
A lot of the confusion is from how Shawn introduced himself when he was pretending to be the judge -- "the almighty judge on high of all beings, living or dead, for all eternity", and I don't quite remember the exact quote but that his decisions were right because "everything I say or do is correct" -- he really was describing himself as being God.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This week’s promos kinda give away who the judge is. Pretty dickish of them to do that. Don’t mouseover: It’s a burrito. A literal burrito. Like the episode name suggests. “The Burrito”

It’s entirely possible that it’s a misdirection. I hope it’s a misdirection.

Edit: The promo (please don’t watch)

pwn fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 25, 2018

pwn
May 27, 2004

All the Ways The Good Place Has Blown Up Its Own Premise

quote:

The other remarkable thing about The Good Place is that the show is constantly killing its darlings. It throws away the fun of Michael’s many Bad Place attempts. It leaves behind Eleanor and Chidi’s adorable, creepy clown bungalow. In episode ten, we get a glorious trip to the real Bad Place, and it’s so funny and perfect that I could’ve happily stayed there for a long time (which is ironic for a place that’s supposed to be hell). But no — The Good Place catapulted its humans out of the Museum of Human Misery right away, giving us only a few short moments with Tahani’s fabulous Bad Place bob. Its season-two model of plotting looks more like the Star Trek: Discovery model, which also has at least one legitimate twist, but which operates on a more regular pattern of finding an idea and then immediately casting it aside for something else. But here’s the thing about the killing your darlings model for storytelling: For it to work, you have to make them darlings first. Without a sense that the show truly loves its characters, truly relishes the opportunity to tell a little story about a hot-air balloon or Mindy St. Clair’s masturbation proclivities, it doesn’t feel brave or surprising when the show then throws them away.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Did they forget the part where the writers spent an entire season building up the entire cast?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah but what have you done for me this season.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The show would insanely overstay its welcome if it didn't do that though. Like, a whole season of figuring out they're in the loop then another of escaping and so on would just be tedious.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's badly written but I'm pretty sure that's actually slagging off ST:D by comparing it to The Good Place

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

There Bias Two posted:

Did they forget the part where the writers spent an entire season building up the entire cast?

That’s kind of an awkward quote out of context. The article does nothing but praise the show’s inventive and gripping writing.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

pwn posted:

This week’s promos kinda give away who the judge is. Pretty dickish of them to do that. Don’t mouseover: It’s a burrito. A literal burrito. Like the episode name suggests. “The Burrito”

It’s entirely possible that it’s a misdirection. I hope it’s a misdirection.

Edit: The promo (please don’t watch)

I dunno, it seems obvious to me that Jason said something stupid. The Judge is going to come out, and then the test or trial or whatever is going to somehow involve the burrito which is why it's in the ep name. That scene didn't scream "The Judge is a living burrito" to me at all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Aerox posted:

I dunno, it seems obvious to me that Jason said something stupid. The Judge is going to come out, and then the test or trial or whatever is going to somehow involve the burrito which is why it's in the ep name. That scene didn't scream "The Judge is a living burrito" to me at all.

Besides, is an actual burrito really who Darcy Carden would love to act with the most?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry, double post, can't seem to delete.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/956635672437170176
In response to a question about how time works in The Bad Place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Aerox posted:

I think it's possible that:

They spend the whole episode arguing in front of The Burrito, and the Judge only shows up at the very end to hand down the ruling. Otherwise I'm not sure why the episode would be named The Burrito.

Alternately:

The Burrito IS the Judge, and is voiced by H. Jon Benjamin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Aerox posted:

Jason is gonna eat the judge's lunch

• Locked thread