Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moxxis Endowment posted:

Yeah, and this is you in ten years when the dollar collapses:

Look how much actual money you have!!

Goldbugs have been making that prediction since we left the gold standard

Then a lot of goldbugs transitioned to bitcoin but are still making the same wrong prediction that they've been making for decades, while somehow convincing themselves that bitcoin mining is totally feasible in post-apocalyptic scenarios where people are fighting for food and shelter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

post-apocalypse but all the satellite phones and radio frequencies are jammed by people mining bitcoin over 56k

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

QuarkJets posted:

Then a lot of goldbugs transitioned to bitcoin but are still making the same wrong prediction that they've been making for decades, while somehow convincing themselves that bitcoin mining is totally feasible in post-apocalyptic scenarios where people are fighting for food and shelter

You can mine bitcoins by hand 🙄

Bitcoin is backed by Math

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

well I think they're more anticipating another Great Depression/Weimar Republic situation, which is more likely than a total societal collapse and a situation where having hard commodity money probably would be advantageous

there are people who obviously do anticipate the apocalypse but those people are self-evidently idiots- if you think the Big One is coming you should be preparing to survive that rather than making a wild speculation about what the mutants inhabiting Bartertown will use as currency

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I watched this guys video and he's insane. Also, it reminded me a lot of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBbLpxLglz0

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Salt Fish posted:

I made it 10 seconds wtf.

In any case, if btc isn’t a currency now, why does it have coin in the name?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
wolf's bitcoin chat. it's a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMpLFCbLz4&t=864s

zaurg fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 26, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Starting to wonder if it will drop 1600 in the next 16 hours.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Salt Fish posted:

"I am going to tell you how to get rich easily!"

Rubes eat this poo poo up.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Dairy Days posted:

post-apocalypse but all the satellite phones and radio frequencies are jammed by people mining bitcoin over 56k

Except if the dollar collapses none of those things are running

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LGD posted:

well I think they're more anticipating another Great Depression/Weimar Republic situation, which is more likely than a total societal collapse and a situation where having hard commodity money probably would be advantageous

there are people who obviously do anticipate the apocalypse but those people are self-evidently idiots- if you think the Big One is coming you should be preparing to survive that rather than making a wild speculation about what the mutants inhabiting Bartertown will use as currency

Yeah those are the ones I think are the most funny. They're the same ones who were raising funds for a bitcoin satellite a couple of years back so that after the world ends you'll still be able to transact with others using the bitcoin network, via the satellite. If you read that sentence and thought "wait, that doesn't sound like it would work at all" then you've already given more thought to this than any of them ever did

Khorne
May 1, 2002

paternity suitor posted:

I know a group that designs low cost, low power gpu computing clusters using mass produced consumer hardware that runs off of a solar panel. I don't think anyone has ever actually used them beyond proof of concept/folding@home tier stuff, but it's easier and cheaper than you think.

Unfortunately, crypto is is pretty much worthless as a day to day currency in any scenario. Thank you thread for introducing me to the cavemen videos.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 26, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You know, Alpha Mayo, I would gladly pay for your forums re-reg... if only Something Awful accepted bitcoins... ☹️

Maybe one day Lowtax will see the light...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

paternity suitor posted:

A financial collapse of some kind will not, directly, harm physical infrastructure the way that, say, a nuclear war would. Money is not a magical ether crystal battery on which technology runs, although I am told that the Lightning Network *does* run on the coalesced aether of the world.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

zaurg posted:

wolf's bitcoin chat. it's a good listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKMpLFCbLz4&t=864s

This was a good listen and it was interesting to get the perspective of someone who might actually understand what a credit swap is. It's clear he didn't just write it all off either and he's actually looked into bitcoin to understand what's going on, and telling he won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
i showed my girl raiblocks and how quick it is...
i told her about the concept of crypto currencies and how most of our money is already digital, but we have no system of trust...

she had a moment of enlightenment and understood cryptos and the hype. this poo poo is wild, seeing her beautiful face light up, being woken up.

we made love like never before, with deeper understanding of the world of tomorrow and of each other.... i feel like raiblocks just got me laid.

thank you, everyone. y'all did this. the random guy on reddit who shilled me the coin did this.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

500 down, 1000 to go

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pretty much free fall right now, Alpha Mayo validation maybe happening

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Marketing New Brain posted:

This was a good listen and it was interesting to get the perspective of someone who might actually understand what a credit swap is. It's clear he didn't just write it all off either and he's actually looked into bitcoin to understand what's going on, and telling he won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Basically he presents all of the arguments that the really devout bitcoiners in this thread dismiss as FUD; market's manipulated to poo poo and a whole bunch of people are going to get hurt by it over and over until the price eventually plummets for good, and Bitcoin specifically is not the future of currency because it's trash

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Here we go

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Apparently Coincheck, one of Japan’s biggest exchanges got hacked and all trading is suspended. Oops!

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive
he peein

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

lmao

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Original_Z posted:

Apparently Coincheck, one of Japan’s biggest exchanges got hacked and all trading is suspended. Oops!
Tibanne and Alpha Mayo back in the saddle

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

600 more to go

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm supposed to work but watching number go down is suddenly a lot more interesting! Rooting for Alpha Mayo!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

$500 price swings in the space of an hour are totally fine for a currency

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

It wants to crash so hard right now

Meanwhile Alpha Mayo:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lmao they stole all the NEM. As a normal person, with no interest in buying NEM, I am 100% safe from having all my NEM stolen but some people decided they wanted to buy NEM and then have it stolen :shrug:

lazorexplosion fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 26, 2018

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Anyone listen to the Reply All podcast? It's pretty great, and this episode is about bitcoins.
I don't want to spoiler it (and I'm only half way through) but I reckon you nerds will like it....

The podcast...
https://gimletmedia.com/reply-all/

Specific episode to listen to "#115 The Bitcoin Hunter"
https://megaphone.link/GLT5036262853

-edit- Yeah, highly recommended. Funny as gently caress

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 26, 2018

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've listened to reply all on and off and their tech mystery episodes are usually great

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I enjoyed it and did so even more having read Diva's book.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

1400 btc stand between alpha mayo and safety

when the price drops this significantly there's often a period of consolidation before another steep drop

if there is another drop, it only needs to be half as large as the one overnight to get past 9900

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I wanted to write this post for a couple reasons. The first and primary reason for me is an attempt to make something positive out of something so tremendously negative that happened to me. The second reason is to try and mitigate the possibility of this ever happening to anyone else. If even one person can learn from my mistake, I’ll call that a victory.

I recently lost 5000 lumens while I was trying to secure them in Stellar's web wallet. At the time of writing those lumens were worth approximately $3000. It was the bulk of all my savings. I dare not think how much it will be worth in the coming future.

First and foremost, this was not a glitch or a bug or in any way the wallet’s fault. This was the result of me rushing the process to get back to my day job. Some of this will be brain-dead obvious for a lot of you, and I thought it was obvious to me, but sometimes in your haste you can be careless. So I want to outline the steps for any future wallet makers and make sure they do not repeat the mistakes I made.

The wallet I was using was Stellar’s own simple web wallet, called the Stellar Account Viewer. First and foremost I recommend going to the site right now and pressing the generate button. You will then see something like this. I didn't really need to blur out the keys in this screenshot but I did anyway just so people didn't get any weird ideas. Stare at this screen for some time and pay special attention to the bottom key that were generated.

This is the one and only time the Stellar Account Viewer is going to show you this secret key. Ever.

The website doesn't put anything in red. It doesn't draw any arrows. It gives equal aesthetic prominence to both your public and secret key. It is at this point that you need to record that secret key somewhere permanent, secure and I suggest in multiple places (all secured).

Once you copy that secret key into above box and click sign in, you will be taken to a screen like this and then that is it. If you did not record your secret key, it is gone forever. The key you see at the top of this page is the public key, which you can use to send lumens to this wallet. You can give your public key to anyone. It is useless to them unless they want to send you free lumens.

For me, it was at this point that I sent 5000 lumens to my brand new wallet. I thought I had my private key recorded. I also figured the private key was written down somewhere on this web page. It had to be, right? It has to be like any online account, it's probably hidden in settings somewhere? Wrong. The private key is only shown to you that one time on the previous page. It is gone now. All my savings and investment were gone too.

I had tried to make my lumens more secure, and I succeeded. No one on the planet will ever be able to use these lumens again.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

https://twitter.com/alistairmilne/status/956829257929576448

he's in europe so i think the shorts coincide with the time of the drop

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Uranium 235 posted:

https://twitter.com/alistairmilne/status/956829257929576448

he's in europe so i think the shorts coincide with the time of the drop

It's Alpha Mayo manipulating the market to avoid a ban on a dead gay forum

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Double Bill posted:

It's Alpha Mayo manipulating the market to avoid a ban on a dead gay forum

Completely within the spirit of a toxx, imo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crashing an entire market to save :10bux:
Alpha indeed

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

lazorexplosion posted:

I wanted to write this post for a couple reasons. The first and primary reason for me is an attempt to make something positive out of something so tremendously negative that happened to me. The second reason is to try and mitigate the possibility of this ever happening to anyone else. If even one person can learn from my mistake, I’ll call that a victory.

I recently lost 5000 lumens while I was trying to secure them in Stellar's web wallet. At the time of writing those lumens were worth approximately $3000. It was the bulk of all my savings. I dare not think how much it will be worth in the coming future.

First and foremost, this was not a glitch or a bug or in any way the wallet’s fault. This was the result of me rushing the process to get back to my day job. Some of this will be brain-dead obvious for a lot of you, and I thought it was obvious to me, but sometimes in your haste you can be careless. So I want to outline the steps for any future wallet makers and make sure they do not repeat the mistakes I made.

The wallet I was using was Stellar’s own simple web wallet, called the Stellar Account Viewer. First and foremost I recommend going to the site right now and pressing the generate button. You will then see something like this. I didn't really need to blur out the keys in this screenshot but I did anyway just so people didn't get any weird ideas. Stare at this screen for some time and pay special attention to the bottom key that were generated.

This is the one and only time the Stellar Account Viewer is going to show you this secret key. Ever.

The website doesn't put anything in red. It doesn't draw any arrows. It gives equal aesthetic prominence to both your public and secret key. It is at this point that you need to record that secret key somewhere permanent, secure and I suggest in multiple places (all secured).

Once you copy that secret key into above box and click sign in, you will be taken to a screen like this and then that is it. If you did not record your secret key, it is gone forever. The key you see at the top of this page is the public key, which you can use to send lumens to this wallet. You can give your public key to anyone. It is useless to them unless they want to send you free lumens.

For me, it was at this point that I sent 5000 lumens to my brand new wallet. I thought I had my private key recorded. I also figured the private key was written down somewhere on this web page. It had to be, right? It has to be like any online account, it's probably hidden in settings somewhere? Wrong. The private key is only shown to you that one time on the previous page. It is gone now. All my savings and investment were gone too.

I had tried to make my lumens more secure, and I succeeded. No one on the planet will ever be able to use these lumens again.

goddamn

so it's like myetherwallet? but myetherwallet gives hundreds of warnings and step by step ensures you backup properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

zaurg posted:

goddamn

so it's like myetherwallet? but myetherwallet gives hundreds of warnings and step by step ensures you backup properly

The good news is that the wallet site owners probably has the key recorded somewhere safe for their exit scam.