Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

Elanor's test was pretty odd. The other three were tested against their compulsions. Theirs made sense.

Well it's been established pretty well that Eleanor's biggest vice in life (besides her shrimp obsession) was her only looking out for number one. Giving her the option of taking the easy way out and leaving everyone behind is a pretty good test against her compulsion. Hell, the fact that she even stuck around long enough to ask Fake Chidi about whether leaving was moral shows great personal growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

Elanor's test was pretty odd. The other three were tested against their compulsions. Theirs made sense.

Elenor's always been ethically challenged though.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Though I would have liked Jason getting excited to play Madden 74

VR where he can be Blake Bortles will be in the Good Place :unsmith:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope this episode finally puts an end to the people who still keep speculating that everything that's happening is somehow still a much longer con from Michael, who has been good all along, or who is actually running everyone including Sean through a much more intricate Bad Place than we thought.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

drunken officeparty posted:

The judge said it's been 30 years since her last case, which would be Mindy. Where did the 800 years of restarts go Mike Schur???

I was pretty sure she said 30 years until her next case, not since her last. Maybe I misheard though

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Chidi's test was kind of a joke rather than a real examination of his character, but its such a good joke I have a hard time caring.

I think what I loved about Eleanor's test is that it didn't just test her selfishness. It tested her willingness to just let Chidi tell her what the right thing was. In order to prove she belonged in the Good Place, she had to make the moral decision on her own, not just because Chidi told her too. That's the ultimate proof of how far she's come.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
:tinfoil: : She mentioned that she couldn't take their case because there was no paperwork or advocate. Because she's all knowing, she knew exactly when Janet and Michael would show up, so she came up with the tests basically just to amuse herself before the real trial. That's why the episode was named after the burrito, because they assumed it was the real thing before the real thing revealed itself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's some mighty fine sleuthing Watson.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great episode this season is amazing etc.

BUT THE ONE ISSUE I HAD WAS the way to win Jason’s test was to not play? That doesn’t really track for me considering he was told “hey this is your test”. Why would he think he could refuse that?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

:tinfoil: : She mentioned that she couldn't take their case because there was no paperwork or advocate. Because she's all knowing, she knew exactly when Janet and Michael would show up, so she came up with the tests basically just to amuse herself before the real trial. That's why the episode was named after the burrito, because they assumed it was the real thing before the real thing revealed itself.

Please tell me this is real

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
When does the episode go online for streaming? Normally I watch the episode the next day on hulu but it doesn't seem to be available there...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Dunno about Hulu, but it's up on NBC's site.

Escobarbarian posted:

Great episode this season is amazing etc.

BUT THE ONE ISSUE I HAD WAS the way to win Jason’s test was to not play? That doesn’t really track for me considering he was told “hey this is your test”. Why would he think he could refuse that?

He didn't let her finish. If he had, presumably she would have said "your test is to be locked in this room with this video game and not play it" or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo you’re right. Ok then no issues it ruled

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

nerdman42 posted:

Chidi's test was kind of a joke rather than a real examination of his character, but its such a good joke I have a hard time caring.

Chidi's flaw is that he has a hard taking making decisions about even the most mundane things, so when he is put in a room and asked to choose between two items he spends 88 minutes doing so, because he knows it could be the difference between the group going to the good place or the bad place.
The reason he fails the test is that he doesn't realize that it doesn't matter, the hats don't and shouldn't have a say in whether he succeeds in the test, and so he fails because he still hasn't grown away from that other Chidi.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I liked that Derek was apparently loving Mindy when the demon police showed up and nobody seemed to react to it in any way other than her shouting about it over the walkie-talkie.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

idk if the judge is all-knowing in that sense. if she was she would have known when the 4 of them were going to show up and she wouldn't have had to read their life-files

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Oasx posted:

he spends 88 minutes doing so

Don't do him like that - it was only 82 minutes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

idk if the judge is all-knowing in that sense. if she was she would have known when the 4 of them were going to show up and she wouldn't have had to read their life-files

The judge specifically said that while she can know anything she chooses not to a lot of the time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I liked that Derek was apparently loving Mindy when the demon police showed up and nobody seemed to react to it in any way other than her shouting about it over the walkie-talkie.

Pretty sure Derek wasn't doing the loving.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

Pretty sure Derek wasn't doing the loving.

He was a little busy snorting blow off of Mindy's rear end.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I wish Chidi's test had been a choice between regular and almond milk.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think the hats worked better because it was literally a choice between the same hat in two colors (both of which matched his outfit).

Speaking of dapper outfits, I'd thought we'd reached peak Jason hotness with that grey suit he's been wearing, but then the Judge changed his clothes to a tracksuit... perfection.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

tarlibone posted:

He was a little busy snorting blow off of Mindy's rear end.

Oh, for some reason I thought I heard her say "Yeah! Stick it in my rear end!" and started cracking up.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FELD1 posted:

I think the hats worked better because it was literally a choice between the same hat in two colors (both of which matched his outfit).
Chidi's test was probably intended to be a riff on Buridan's rear end.

quote:

Buridan's rear end is an illustration of a paradox in philosophy in the conception of free will. It refers to a hypothetical situation wherein a donkey that is equally hungry and thirsty is placed precisely midway between a stack of hay and a pail of water. Since the paradox assumes the rear end will always go to whichever is closer, it dies of both hunger and thirst since it cannot make any rational decision between the hay and water.[1] A common variant of the paradox substitutes two identical piles of hay for the hay and water; the rear end, unable to choose between the two, dies of hunger.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Oh, neat. I hadn't heard that one before. Like all logical paradoxes I've encountered before, the imagery in this one is delightfully morbid.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gobbeldygook posted:

Chidi's test was probably intended to be a riff on Buridan's rear end.

This is a really stupid paradox. The donkey would not stand there until it dies. I guess it's no worse than the trolley problem though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There Bias Two posted:

This is a really stupid paradox. The donkey would not stand there until it dies.

It's not a paradox, it's a parable. It asks the question of what one does when it becomes impossible to prioritize one need over another.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arist posted:

It's not a paradox, it's a parable. It asks the question of what one does when it becomes impossible to prioritize one need over another.

Several years of therapy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Not sure if the stuff in Pretty Little Liars is a worse torture than watching all of Pretty Little Liars, but I suppose both are worthy tortures.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Arist posted:

The problem is any living thing can live longer without food than it can without water. The donkey would drink the water first, then go eat the hay.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

rapeface posted:

Not sure if the stuff in Pretty Little Liars is a worse torture than watching all of Pretty Little Liars, but I suppose both are worthy tortures.

If I go to The Bad Place when I die, that show will be playing on a loop for eternity. My wife loving loved that show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Accretionist posted:

Her vice was selfishness, it's not that complicated.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Your Taint posted:

If I go to The Bad Place when I die, that show will be playing on a loop for eternity. My wife loving loved that show.

Sorry about your divorce

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The problem is any living thing can live longer without food than it can without water. The donkey would drink the water first, then go eat the hay.

Welcome to why the following question is a choice between two identical things.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Donkey dont know that though. I am 99% sure it would eat first because going from empty to full immediately feels better than the abstract concepts of dehydration.

But I am 100% sure it would just go back and forth because who eats without a beverage.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

howe_sam posted:

Chidi's test was the biggest laugh so far for me.

my favorite was the Bad Janet Moment

chidi's was a respectable second though

and in general this was more of a "look how far they've come" ep than a funny-rear end one (funniest is still the Ted Danson Failure Montage, ep 2?)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I knew Jason would fail the minute he cut off the Judge's speech.

e: I'm kinda getting to the point someone else mentioned, that Jason is just too dumb to be tried for his sins. It's not even "hey let's amplify Trait X on Character Y" at play, he's consistently been stupid.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 27, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i could actually buy this but i'd also be totally fine with them just showing up and setting up for whatever the hell the third season is with their journeys of personal growth into a good person and the most advanced Janet in the multiverse

also incidentally it took me way too long to realize that Bad Janet and Good Janet were the same actress, by which I mean most of the first episode we met Bad Janet :saddowns:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What if the donkey was equidistant from the hay, the water AND a burrito?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i was kind of a bit let down with this episode after the insanity from last week. it had a couple good gags but it felt like a "move the chesspieces" filler episode to me. maybe it is more brilliant than that under closer scrutiny (e.g. the tests being modeled after famous philosophy problems, such as has been pointed out with Chidi), but on my first watching it fell a bit flat

• Locked thread