Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was more Dukat is a great character, in that he is an utterly evil person who has no idea of the vile nature of his action, that his self delusion is so deep that he honestly thinks he is a force of good and is beloved. I think there's good comedy in that, and honestly, I can't think of anyone else who could pull that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The incredibly elaborate season-long joke where the random black dude at the helm becomes the chief engineer for some reason was a hell of a good Trek reference.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

The incredibly elaborate season-long joke where the random black dude at the helm becomes the chief engineer for some reason was a hell of a good Trek reference.

:yeah:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

holy poo poo I never actually got that

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aleph Null posted:

Jeffrey Coombs would be a perfect "Barkley" analog. Call him Dr West, though.

I have complete faith. He always gives 100%

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Beachcomber posted:

I have complete faith. He always gives 100%

Not the right Barkley but I like where your head's at.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Pyroi posted:

the Union's version of the Enterprise.

Isn't this the Olympia?

Also, I wish they would show more ships.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ExtraNoise posted:

Isn't this the Olympia?

Also, I wish they would show more ships.

Some of the bootleg spaceship miniatures studios have already started making Orville stuff, they definitely need more official designs to work from.

For example, https://studiobergstrom.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=94

His stuff is pretty good, I have some of his BSG minis.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
‘The Orville’ Isn’t For Everyone, But It’s Better Sci-Fi Than Critics Think

quote:

Fans immediately saw what critics didn’t. The show is not a parody at all. “The Orville” is its own earnest show about humans in space, without the Rodenberry directive that humans have “evolved.” On the U.S.S. Orville, we haven’t evolved at all. We’re the same snarky, meme-ing, soundbite culture we are in the 2000s. Just in space.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Don't read the comments.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Peachfart posted:

Don't read the comments.

Always the best advice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mllaneza posted:

Some of the bootleg spaceship miniatures studios have already started making Orville stuff, they definitely need more official designs to work from.

For example, https://studiobergstrom.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=94

Huh, I had no idea you could get away with such close models just by changing the names.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm amused by the one comment complaining about the episode where a child genius solves everything because all the adults are idiots.

I think I missed that one.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Tunicate posted:

The most recent episode was the most paint-by-numbers generic prime directive plot imaginable so...

No, the most recent episode was the most paint-by-numbers generic cultural contamination/colonialism/cargo cult plot imaginable, though I did like the twist about the civilization outstripping the Union, and not wanting to contaminate them in return.

If they'd had the captain solemnly look into the camera and declaim 'Maybe someday we'll have some sort of guidance, some sort of, I don't know, First Rule or Fundamental Dictum or Non-Secondary Guideline...' on the other hand, it would have been shameless pandering, and turned a perfectly competent hour-long weekly sci-fi show into a base Star Trek parody. Kind of like Enterprise was, at times at least.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm amused by the one comment complaining about the episode where a child genies everyone because all the adults are idiots.

I think I missed that one.

I'm having trouble even understanding what you just posted

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

These are excellent. I love the one and two... ringed? designs. I think you can see some of them in the shipyards in the first episode, but they fly by too quickly. It makes them look like older ships, which is cool to see.

In the pilot episode, Captain Mercer has a model on the shelf behind his desk that has the rings in a different order, where the largest one is at the top:

I think it looks really good. I would love to see some of the larger "cool" ships have a similar design if they get introduced later. I'm glad the Orville is kind of doofy looking though, I love that about it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

If they'd had the captain solemnly look into the camera and declaim 'Maybe someday we'll have some sort of guidance, some sort of, I don't know, First Rule or Fundamental Dictum or Non-Secondary Guideline...' on the other hand, it would have been shameless pandering, and turned a perfectly competent hour-long weekly sci-fi show into a base Star Trek parody. Kind of like Enterprise was, at times at least.

'General Order One' is literally just a lawyer friendly prime directive.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ExtraNoise posted:

These are excellent. I love the one and two... ringed? designs. I think you can see some of them in the shipyards in the first episode, but they fly by too quickly. It makes them look like older ships, which is cool to see.

In the pilot episode, Captain Mercer has a model on the shelf behind his desk that has the rings in a different order, where the largest one is at the top:

I think it looks really good. I would love to see some of the larger "cool" ships have a similar design if they get introduced later. I'm glad the Orville is kind of doofy looking though, I love that about it.

Yeah, I like to think that The Orville is kinda like the USS Hood, and there's a cool rear end Enterprise flying around doing all the fun poo poo

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

twistedmentat posted:

It was more Dukat is a great character, in that he is an utterly evil person who has no idea of the vile nature of his action, that his self delusion is so deep that he honestly thinks he is a force of good and is beloved. I think there's good comedy in that, and honestly, I can't think of anyone else who could pull that off.

Dukat is amazing because so often TV forgets that real life Villains always think they're goodies, nobody thinks they're a baddie.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Tunicate posted:

'General Order One' is literally just a lawyer friendly prime directive.
"General Order One" is actually the correct Starfleet designation. 'Prime Directive' is more on the order of slang.
:goonsay:

Point being, you wouldn't be able to write a 'benevolent interstellar organization encounters a less-advanced planet' without having some sort of non-interference policy. Just having it doesn't make for a Star Trek reference, let alone homage or parody. Nor does having Robert Picardo play Alara's father. But if Robert Picardo played Alara's father, and he happens to be a doctor, or he happens to be an emergency services dispatcher and answers the phone with 'Please state the nature of the medical emergency', it suddenly becomes stupid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

"General Order One" is actually the correct Starfleet designation. 'Prime Directive' is more on the order of slang.

So they literally didn't even rename it for the orville, then?

It's such a paint-by-numbers low-effort cliche episode. After the first five minutes it followed the expected plot beats of every generic 'whoops we violated the prime directive' story.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

It's such a paint-by-numbers low-effort cliche episode. After the first five minutes it followed the expected plot beats of every generic 'whoops we violated the prime directive' story.

Well, it cranked the expected plot beats to 11 because its a bit more of a comedy

It was a fine episode

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tunicate posted:

That episode did a better job of explaining the Prime Directive than Star Trek ever did.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Peachfart posted:

That episode did a better job of explaining the Prime Directive than Star Trek ever did.

Most star trek prime directive episodes are something along the line of people are dying of a plague and the prime directive prevents them from curing it, both of which are pretty dumb and don't really explain the reasoning behind it at all.

This episode actually shows rather than tells what the effect of making yourself known to a primitive race would be. Yes, it's similar to the TNG episode with the "protovulcans" thinking Picard is their god, but the point of the episode wasn't to explore the prime directive, it was to explore the bad effects of being in a relationship with your boss and cap off the relationship arc of the season.

There have been 740 star trek episodes- it's kinda hard to make a show with the same general setting and with the same general theme without touching on topics any star trek episode has at some point covered. Hell, even star trek self references and recovers ground time and time again. I judge Orville by the B and C plots and character development rather than the A plot.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 26, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

mllaneza posted:

$15 for the ship and $35 for the shipping.

Still tempted.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Dietrich posted:

I judge Orville by the B and C plots and character development rather than the A plot.

Some pro wisdom right here.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Taear posted:

Dukat is amazing because so often TV forgets that real life Villains always think they're goodies, nobody thinks they're a baddie.

Also they didn't make the Bajorans incredibly sympathetic after TNG. A lot of shows would have made sure that they always came off as innocent and good, but not DS9! They made drat sure to remind you every now and then that Bajorans were religious nutjobs with a fear of science, in a society propped up by a smattering of artifacts belonging to an advanced civilization that they barely understood the significance of; not to mention the class problems and poor management of their world.

I'm not saying this makes Dukat a sympathetic character but it has that necessary hint of progressiveness and altruism that allows colonialism to feel justified. Felt like half of Dukat's speeches are about how he was there to make Bajor a better place and bring them up to the level of the other civilizations in the Alpha Quadrant.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I like how everyone's complaint is "I hated the episode for being a complete retread. Except for all the parts that weren't that were really cool but don't count for some reason. Total retread."

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

PaybackJack posted:

I'm not saying this makes Dukat a sympathetic character but it has that necessary hint of progressiveness and altruism that allows colonialism to feel justified. Felt like half of Dukat's speeches are about how he was there to make Bajor a better place and bring them up to the level of the other civilizations in the Alpha Quadrant.

Well, someone has to Make Bajor Great Again!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tunicate posted:

"General orders" have been a thing in real life militaries for a while.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Kibayasu posted:

"General orders" have been a thing in real life militaries for a while.

US Army posted:

1st General Order
“I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.”

2nd General Order
“I will obey my special orders and perform all of my duties in a military manner.”

3rd General Order
“I will report violations of my special orders, emergencies, and anything not covered in my instructions, to the commander of the relief.”

These are basically rules that supersede all other rules and every military group has them

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 27, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

I like how everyone's complaint is "I hated the episode for being a complete retread. Except for all the parts that weren't that were really cool but don't count for some reason. Total retread."

It's weird how many critics or people who are critical treat story similarities as some kind of trump card against the show.

If I want to break out the slide rule I can draw similarities between countless different Science Fiction properties. You are also going to be dealing with very broad topics like "All Civilizations are not equally advanced" that will naturally be similar.

Oh to make our story work we need faster than light travel? Well machines break so a few things can happen: They go to someplace unusual or impossibly far away.

"Um Actually that is just a retread of these four Stargate episodes, these two Farscape episodes, this Bablyon 5 episode, Event Horizon, Interstellar, the premise of Lost in Space, two episodes of Andromeda, Macross, thirty episodes of Star Trek, this Ray Bradbury short story, this Isaac Asimov novel, L Ron Hubbard's "Mission Earth" series, and sixty seven other episodes or stories from twenty more different series. Checkmate Shitville. :smug:"
:goonsay:

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 27, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

How come science fiction is the only genre to get that treatment? It's so weird

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

"Asperger's".

The answer is always "Asperger's".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think there's also the idea that science fiction is nothing but a novelty, the only point of a science fiction story is to present some novel unexplored topic. If there's already a story about a time traveling evil robot, any other stories are pointless because who cares about the details or even quality of the writing, it's only the novelty that matters. Once it's been done it's been checked off the list and anything else is just a pointless retread or recycling or even "stealing" a previous idea. No one bats an eyelid at yet another dramatic story about a tragic love triangle, or two young lovers overcoming adversity to be together, because these sorts of stories are not judged by the novelty of their plots but by the characters and writing. But for many critics and nerds alike, 90% of the importance of a good scifi story is being original and novel or putting some craaaazy new twist on things, everything else is a distant second. The characters are there only to serve the scifi plot, the dialog only needs to be good enough to convey the scifi plot, that's the whole and only point of science fiction.

Orville purposefully grabs from well-tread scifi plots/concepts but generally puts a new twist on them and puts a greater story focus on the characters. Critics and huge nerds look at only the very surface level plot and think them selves great detectives or incredibly learned science fiction connoisseurs for realizing that star trek already had a plot much like this before, can you believe Seth tried to rehash this plot???? If it's a comedy the plot is only there in service of the jokes but the Orville seems to take its plot seriously and sometimes whole chunks of episodes don't have any overt jokes so it can't be a comedy. But there's still way too many jokes and the characters are too ridiculous for this to be a real science fiction. It doesn't fit into either pigeon hole so it's confusing and bad. It needs to declare exactly which box it fits into so it can be judged by those criteria alone.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

OB_Juan posted:

Well, someone has to Make Bajor Great Again!

It's less "Make Bajor Great Again" and more "Look at this shithole led by these shitholes; we have to give them the space Democracy so they can be free!".

"Make Cardassia Great Again" was the campaign Dukat ran on when he negotiated them into the Dominion.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

One of the things that I always find weird is that sci-fi stories almost always try to bend over backwards to tell very human stories. I rarely found a scifi story that didn't have a story about the human condition at the core; Orville being no different. Compared to Fantasy which seems to delight in not trying to tell stories about that an instead focusing on what the main character does when he finds out he's a super wizard and/or is destined for great things.

Maybe someday I'll see Die Hard in space; though I guess the Riddick movies are pretty close.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

In other news, it's cute that they have pictures of space in the set windows instead of green screens everywhere.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Tom Guycot posted:

It may be an old thing, but at the same time its fresh to see a sci fi show again, finally, where the best scene of an episode won't be the epic space battle fire fight, but people in a conference room arguing about the ethics of sentient screw drivers. That formula might be old, but it hasn't been done in a while, and the real fun came from the new ideas and stories told each week being handled in such a way.

The Orville is old packaging, hopefully with some new contents in it as it goes on, but considering we haven't even seen that box in like, 15 years its a breath of fresh air. If no one had made a police procedural show in 20 years, it would probably be real exciting to finally see a new police procedural after all that time.

I'm with you here, man. I missed about 200 posts and I honestly only had a minute to try to catch up ( and the huge amount of posts with no new episodes was encouraging on its own)

It's a janky-rear end, got-beat-the-gently caress-up-in-transit package, but its a box we haven't seen in awhile. I'm only still sad they didn't particularly carry any plot-line out to a FULL ON conclusion, like they're still a bit scared?? Even though there is no reason not to say what needs to be said. Like, what happened with the horrifically female baby? You know?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They reassigned it male, that's pretty explicit. It's living a normal baby life and Klyden does most of the child rearing. He complains to Bortus multiple times that Bortus isn't spending enough time with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Baronjutter posted:

I think there's also the idea that science fiction is nothing but a novelty, the only point of a science fiction story is to present some novel unexplored topic. If there's already a story about a time traveling evil robot, any other stories are pointless because who cares about the details or even quality of the writing, it's only the novelty that matters. Once it's been done it's been checked off the list and anything else is just a pointless retread or recycling or even "stealing" a previous idea. No one bats an eyelid at yet another dramatic story about a tragic love triangle, or two young lovers overcoming adversity to be together, because these sorts of stories are not judged by the novelty of their plots but by the characters and writing. But for many critics and nerds alike, 90% of the importance of a good scifi story is being original and novel or putting some craaaazy new twist on things, everything else is a distant second. The characters are there only to serve the scifi plot, the dialog only needs to be good enough to convey the scifi plot, that's the whole and only point of science fiction.

Orville purposefully grabs from well-tread scifi plots/concepts but generally puts a new twist on them and puts a greater story focus on the characters. Critics and huge nerds look at only the very surface level plot and think them selves great detectives or incredibly learned science fiction connoisseurs for realizing that star trek already had a plot much like this before, can you believe Seth tried to rehash this plot???? If it's a comedy the plot is only there in service of the jokes but the Orville seems to take its plot seriously and sometimes whole chunks of episodes don't have any overt jokes so it can't be a comedy. But there's still way too many jokes and the characters are too ridiculous for this to be a real science fiction. It doesn't fit into either pigeon hole so it's confusing and bad. It needs to declare exactly which box it fits into so it can be judged by those criteria alone.

Okay two things here. The "POINT" of "sci-fi"originally, or the point that most people have ascribed to the best sci-fi ever written was that it either abstracted current points of political or sexual or racial tension in such a way that it turns it all into pointless absurd-ism and there's a big metaphorical release for all kinds of dumbass political poo poo that people were being wankers about. It's the metaphors about weird aliens that are black on one side and white on the other, or the opposite.. It's the ability to understand a greater being is not necessarily a god but something that OUR science hasn't figured out yet...That's FANTASTIC and Awesome. In a really lame way, the best example is Kirk kissing Uhura on TV.

On the other hand, I think that Orville has not been particularly good at putting any new spin on all the issues that have already been done by a lot of older shows. They're weirdly sticking their toes in the pool but keep pulling them out because it's too cold and it tickles. I'm Happy about the show. I wish there were more. But they're honestly not treading new ground and its not funny enough to be a comedy and not well-written enough to be a drama. I hope they can really dial it in and go for it in the future. I wish they could get more feedback of that type instead of what I'm sure the internet is producing now. :downs: