Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It would fit this stupid loving timeline if the actually pretty healthy PC gamer market is finally killed off for good by internet libertarians try to run a get rich quick scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pentium is 1993. We’ve got a ways to go.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

Is 8GB that terrible now

Trying to figure out whether I should throw money at obsolete expensive DDR3 or upgrade a PC and invest in wildly expensive DDR4 is my new life.

Not having to turn off all the poo poo I use for work when I take a break or knock off for the evening is great. This is what my memory usage typically looks like:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Craptacular! posted:

Is 8GB that terrible now

Trying to figure out whether I should throw money at obsolete expensive DDR3 or upgrade a PC and invest in wildly expensive DDR4 is my new life.

Well, they're in junior high now, so it has to last them until 2022. Assuming the earth doesn't belong the to cockroaches by then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kazinsal posted:

It's never going back down. Welcome to the idiot hellfucker dimension where the cost of building a PC is going back to 1980s levels.

Gotta remember that $1 in the 80s is between $2 and $3 now though. People would pay the modern equivalent of like $16,000 for high end PC clones back then, parts could be entirely crazy.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
between cryptominers and all the people with sandy/ivy bridge PCs that didn't need to upgrade their system for 6 straight years, I'd bet demand for the parts-builder market is huge

but nobody wants to ramp production that high because it's a super risky investment if demand crashes

Measly Twerp posted:

Have we talked about this? It puts into question how reliable of a source PC Perspective is since they've accepted money to write reviews and not disclosed it to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0ZzA9wTFE

AMD also had a 'buy' button on their website that included PC Perspective as an Amazon affiliate.

video has now been taken down

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/tekwendell/status/956933305827516418

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

video has now been taken down

:tinfoil:

e:

https://twitter.com/AdoredTV/status/956962302108061697

Looks like the AMD fanboys chomped at the bit...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

SamDabbers posted:

I got an R7 1700 at launch and paid $110 for 16GB (2x8GB) of DDR4-2933, which I thought was expensive at the time. How much higher will it go before prices get back to reasonable levels again? I really want to upgrade to 32GB, but definitely can't justify it at these prices, even though my machine has started swapping at times when working with multiple VMs.

The more people give up on desktops in favor of laptops or tablets with keyboards, the more parts are going to cost :smith:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Why are people mad at PCPer?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Truga posted:

I like how the first govt to say "hey, these chip prices are acting a bit unusually" is loving china
Being a true contender for the new hegemon is a hell of a weight to put on your shoulders

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MaxxBot posted:

Why are people mad at PCPer?

Shady behavior that implies they were taking kick-backs on reviews of various kinds. Some of the evidence is weaker than others, but thats the short version.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It would also be really cool if the EU just started cracking down on all cryptocurrency trade :pray:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol if you still take adored seriously

He acts like a particular chart being identical between the paid whitepaper and review is a huge gotcha moment proving that Intel money influenced the review, but that chart is just citing the manufacturer-rated endurance for each drive, not anything PCPer measured themselves. Adored really wants you to think the review is just a copy paste rehash of the whitepaper but if you actually read the loving things there's barely any overlap - the whitepaper focuses on cherry-picked synthetics and real-world benchmarks but the review uses a broad suite of synthetics and no real world tests at all.

The fact that money changed hands isn't automatically damning by itself either, it's no different to a hardware vendor buying an advertising campaign on a review site, or providing free review samples.

(also lmao at him unironically citing charlie demerjians opinion on an intel product)

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 27, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It would also be really cool if the EU just started cracking down on all cryptocurrency trade :pray:

God that would own.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The amount of time he spends dwelling on PCPer taking a dig at his "Con Lake" video on Twitter makes it hard to believe that had no influence on his video, I wish he would have just stuck to the freesync thing because that does sound fishy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here's the actual article where PCPer supposedly pin the blame on Freesync for those monitors ghosting issues: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/AMD-FreeSync-First-Impressions-and-Technical-Discussion/Gaming-Experience-FreeSync-

PC Perspective posted:

It’s impossible now to know if that is the cause for the difference seen above. But with the ROG Swift and BenQ XL2730Z sharing the same 144 Hz TN panel specifications, there is obviously something different about the integration. It could be panel technology, it could be VRR technology or it could be settings in the monitor itself. We will be diving more into the issue as we spend more time with different FreeSync models.

Comment by Allyn Malventano posted:

The LG had the worst ghosting by far. It's not *caused* by FreeSync, though it did get by AMD's validation process.

It's almost as if Adored is weaving a narrative out of thin air :thunk:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

repiv posted:

Here's the actual article where PCPer supposedly pin the blame on Freesync for those monitors ghosting issues: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/AMD-FreeSync-First-Impressions-and-Technical-Discussion/Gaming-Experience-FreeSync-

It's almost as if Adored is weaving a narrative out of thin air :thunk:

You're cherry picking worse than Adored.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

Where does der8auer get the money to do all this poo poo from? Making turbonerdy videos about the minutiae of CPU packaging can't be that lucrative.

You mean like https://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/EPYC7000/H11SSL-i.cfm ? e: found on https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/AMD_SP3.cfm?pg=MOBO where they also list a dual socket if you can swing an E-ATX and have, I'm guessing, ~$20k to burn

I was kinda hoping for a Asrock motherboard. :) SuperMicro makes nice boards, but they are very expensive. Seems like a second ThreadRipper might be wiser.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

I got an R7 1700 at launch and paid $110 for 16GB (2x8GB) of DDR4-2933, which I thought was expensive at the time. How much higher will it go before prices get back to reasonable levels again? I really want to upgrade to 32GB, but definitely can't justify it at these prices, even though my machine has started swapping at times when working with multiple VMs.

Yeah I bough a 32gb 3200 kit for like Ł200 which I thought was a little steep. The same kit is now Ł400

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ryan Shrout posted a response to AdoredTVs video: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/7tdm7k/pcpers_response_to_the_recent_ethical_concerns/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

His response seems reasonable. (And if the parts about clippings of the front of his house and such with threats are true, he should be contacting law enforcement ASAP).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That video was entertaining with some good research, but hoooly text wall drama bomb. That adoredtv guy has been axe grinding for sure. Who else called out adoredtv? I wonder if they are apologizing privately before he digs up obscure inconsistencies and AMD crazies send doxxing or whatever to them.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
The guy is out of his depth for sure.

First he didn't reach out for comment which he should've done before producing the video, an amateur mistake for sure, but forgiveable.

Secondly his statement regarding harassment in his original video was ambiguous at best, something along the lines of "let them know, but don't harass them" which every loser on the internet is going to interpret as "harass them, wink wink".

From his Twitter he's clearly not ok with the harassment or how things have turned out having made multiple statements to the effect of "please stop harassing PC Perspective, it also harms me when you do that". But he doesn't seem to understand that his Twitter audience is not his YouTube audience. He needed to make the same statements as early as possible in a video on his channel in order to reach as many people as possible.

I have to give both parties the benefit of the doubt, Adored thought he had something worth sharing, but cocked it up spectacularly, and PC Perspective doesn't deserve to be on the receiving end of said cock up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since September 25th, Adored has been working on establishing himself as the Alex Jones of tech. This is just buffing that reputation further. The fact that he asks his viewers to not threaten tech writers because it reflects poorly on him is just the icing on the cake. That's one of those real "I'm sorry to anyone who may have taken offense by my truthbombs that were too real for you by my statement" sort of moves.

EDIT: Yeah, gently caress this guy.

PCPer posted:

I'm a little disappointed that you would be willing to post a video with those kinds of accusations without contacting me for input but unwilling to spend 15 minutes on the phone or Skype with me to address it. Although not your intent, we are at the point now of viewers of your content reaching out to me with pictures of my house on Google Maps with my address, as well as my office. Obviously with the recent occurrences in the world, and as the father of a two year old, this is something we take exceedingly seriously. I'm worried that your video and comments, though I disagree with almost all of them, are going to be used to cause more harm than you had intended.

Adored posted:

I just got back from the dentist and I'm currently at my sister's house in Scotland. It's dinner time here also. Tomorrow we celebrate my sisters birthday at another venue. What do you want me to do to help? Should I unlist the video? I'm willing to do that for now though it'll blow over in a couple of days anyway. Be aware that if I don't like your response to my points in the video, I wasn't joking when I said I left out more than I put in. I will not be manipulated, consider my offer to unlist the video the final chance of avoiding a real escalation.

:smug: I hear you're being victimized in personal harassment. I hope you're prepared to meet my demands.

What a prick.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 27, 2018

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Craptacular! posted:

What a prick.
Oh Jesus what an insufferable twit

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Linux 10-way shootout for fastest Ryzen distro: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-linux-10way&num=1

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Hey if my 16 Core becomes a 32 Core you won't hear me complain. :) Vray and Unity like them some cores.

Are there any Epyc workstation boards yet?

shrike82 posted:

I have trouble saturating my 4x 1080 Ti with my 16C/32T 1950X on certain specific ML workloads

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Um...hello? 32 is way bigger than 16. Like, twice as big, so I'm going to have twice as much fun.

GIMME!

Here's the problem: Half of those 32 cores will not have direct access to memory or PCIe lanes. Remember Threadripper game mode? Now, I'm willing to gently caress with things so that I get my host system and/or VMs running on the best combination of cores/dies, but are you (again, generic, non-specific, HEDT-hardware-buying enthusiast)? I think shrike82 and Mr Shiny Pants are, but for GAMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZ I'm not so sure.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 28, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
On the subject of memory bandwidth; I have a background in Computational Fluid Dyanmics, so I've been keen to find out how Epyc does against Xeon in CFD. CFD tends to be very memory bandwidth limited. Found somebody on a forum who's posted some comparisons, and the Epyc comes out very nicely.
https://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/hardware/196400-amd-epyc-cfd-benchmarks-ansys-fluent.html

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I did not expect to see the 1v1 core comparisons end up like that though, nice.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

What's the point of these tests? They cannot provide any meaningful information on anything. Centos 7 has very different libraries (glibc, gcc at least) than fedora 27, than ubuntu , than debian testing, than opensuse Tumbleweed. Not to mention default filesystem and so on. It's comparing apples and asteroids.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Here's the problem: Half of those 32 cores will not have direct access to memory or PCIe lanes.

Um hello? The 32-core T-ripper chip doesn't have direct access to any memory or PCIe lanes cuz it's not out yet. Dr. Lisa will make sure every core has what it needs and you will look pretty silly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Volguus posted:

What's the point of these tests? They cannot provide any meaningful information on anything. Centos 7 has very different libraries (glibc, gcc at least) than fedora 27, than ubuntu , than debian testing, than opensuse Tumbleweed. Not to mention default filesystem and so on. It's comparing apples and asteroids.

welcome to phoronix

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

shrike82 posted:

welcome to phoronix

Oh come on, they had meaningful benchmarks before (at least that's what I remember).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Craptacular! posted:

Since September 25th, Adored has been working on establishing himself as the Alex Jones of tech. This is just buffing that reputation further. The fact that he asks his viewers to not threaten tech writers because it reflects poorly on him is just the icing on the cake. That's one of those real "I'm sorry to anyone who may have taken offense by my truthbombs that were too real for you by my statement" sort of moves.

EDIT: Yeah, gently caress this guy.

:smug: I hear you're being victimized in personal harassment. I hope you're prepared to meet my demands.

What a prick.

I've changed my mind after seeing how little PCPer have done to correct mistakes tbh.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 28, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
He shouldn't have taken it offline in the first place. He should've recorded a short statement and uploaded it to YouTube to address the problem.

Speaking of which he's released a follow up video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHAQdukifvI

Which doesn't really solve anything.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The gently caress is with some of those Linux distributions just being horrendous at some things compared to the others? Is library choice and performance across different distros so wildly different that you actually in some cases have to pick which distro you want to use specifically based on how poo poo your preferred one will perform in it?

God drat. No wonder Linux people still try to dunk on Windows like the past 20 years haven't happened. Modern Linux is a complete shitshow of platform fragmentation and modern Windows is a stable operating system that works out of the box :stare:

e: Also gently caress Adored, dude is seriously like an Alex Jones wannabe who wishes he could be Linus Sebastian.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Kazinsal posted:

The gently caress is with some of those Linux distributions just being horrendous at some things compared to the others? Is library choice and performance across different distros so wildly different that you actually in some cases have to pick which distro you want to use specifically based on how poo poo your preferred one will perform in it?

Most of them perform very similarly though? CentOS is much older than most of the other distros and is unlikely to have any optimisations for newer hardware. Clear Linux is the only real interesting result since it's Intel's distro that's apparently optimised for their hardware, yet it's blazing fast running Threadripper.

Kazinsal posted:

God drat. No wonder Linux people still try to dunk on Windows like the past 20 years haven't happened. Modern Linux is a complete shitshow of platform fragmentation and modern Windows is a stable operating system that works out of the box :stare:

There are multiple vendors that provide stable operating systems that work out of the box, and have professional paid support. Then there are a few very popular community led efforts based around a specific desktop environment. And finally there are more obscure distros focused around a specific purpose, for example Pro Audio.

None of this qualifies as a "complete shitshow", and saying so only highlights how little you actually know about the subject you're going all :stare: about.

Don't want to use Linux? Then don't. But please don't spread this kind of nonsense.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

e: Also gently caress Adored, dude is seriously like an Alex Jones wannabe who wishes he could be Linus Sebastian.

If you're talking about 3d performance then yeah, it is a complete shitshow of who is using what drivers and if they're closed source or open source.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

If you're talking about 3d performance then yeah, it is a complete shitshow of who is using what drivers and if they're closed source or open source.

It's literally the only reason I went with an RX 580. Driver progress has been nuts over the last 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

Another day, another Megaherz. :)

With almost every BIOS update I get to bump the RAM speed, which up until today I ran at 3200 but the latest update allows me to run it at 3333 MHz. Still not the full bottle yet, though I totally splurged out on this and went for 32 gigs of 3600 MHz sticks! :)