Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Went to post the version of that gun that was put on the Nexus ages ago but when I went for the link it's taken down with the message "The reason given by the author is: New hotness coming soon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kitfox88 posted:

Holy gently caress the unique in the new creation club poo poo is stupid humongous, and despite being patterned after the colt 6520 it's still a semiauto magazine feed BETHESDA

This is exactly what I would expect to see from someone whose only knowledge of firearms comes from this sprite: and whose wardrobe consists exclusively of novelty belt buckles.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Wait it has a cylinder and a magazine? Lol.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The mod version is much nicer, to scale and free.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

The mod version is much nicer, to scale and free.

It's almost impressive how much better the free stuff is than their paid stuff.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

so maybe i'm just doing something wrong but i'm trying to play this after a long rear end time away, and this is what my main menu looks like:

what did i gently caress up? my monitor is 2560x1080 so i set that in the inis, but it got really fucky. here's my mod order:

quote:

Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCWorkshop01.esm
DLCCoast.esm
DLCWorkshop02.esm
DLCWorkshop03.esm
DLCNukaWorld.esm
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
NAC.esm
XDI.esm
HUDFramework.esm
SimSettlements.esm
Z_Horizon.esp
Z_Horizon_DEFUI.esp
Z_Horizon_DLC_All.esp
Z_Architect.esp
SimSettlements_XPAC_IndustrialRevolution.esp
SimSettlements_XPAC_RiseOfTheCommonwealth.esp
Z_Horizon_Patch_SimSettlements.esp
Z_Horizon_Patch_Architect.esp
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul.esp
NAC-FarHarbor.esp
NAC-NukaWorld.esp
Grasslands - Unhealthy.esp
WET.esp
Quieter Settlements - Contraptions.esp
Quieter Settlements - Vanilla.esp
Quieter Settlements - Wasteland Workshop.esp
FAR.esp
More Where That Came From - Classic.esp
More Where That Came From Diamond City.esp
dD-Realistic Ragdoll Force.esp
dD-Reduced Explosion Force.esp
ShellRain.esp
Elvani's Track Pack - FIX.esp
SettlementMenuManager.esp

edit: I'm not sure I got HUDFramework working properly. i used their autopatcher on DEF_UI and assumed since it didn't bring up any menu options it... just... worked? iunno

edit: ok nevermind i'm a complete idiot, or more importantly bethesda are complete idiots. game doesn't support 21:9 so i had to find a mod that fixes their fuckup. wow. if anyone else is having this problem you fix it by using TruBy9 UltraWide. also it looks like it actually has DEF_UI and HUDFramework built into it so that's super helpful.

more important question then: any mods i'm missing that y'all think are essential for a Horizon playthrough? i've tried to keep it as bare as possible with just some vanity updates and Sim Settlements but if there're some good settlement or gameplay or whatever mods i definitely wanna get them now rather than later.

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 25, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kitfox88 posted:

Holy gently caress the unique in the new creation club poo poo is stupid humongous, and despite being patterned after the colt 6520 it's still a semiauto magazine feed BETHESDA

Wait, I just noticed, what the gently caress is with that grip? why does it look shattered or crushed? Why is every surface carved in a different sort of pattern?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

F4SE is now updated (0.6.5 for 1.10.64).

Whether it's safe for you to update depends on your F4SE plugins (XDI and MCM are back up; still waiting on HUD++).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 25, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So the thread-pooling options in Sim Settlements are paying amazing dividends in game stability. Instead of just trying to update 50 plots I haven't seen in a while and crashing the game unless I pull up short of the render radius for a few rounds of Red Menace, I can set it up to do 4 or 5 at a time.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Glazius posted:

So the thread-pooling options in Sim Settlements are paying amazing dividends in game stability. Instead of just trying to update 50 plots I haven't seen in a while and crashing the game unless I pull up short of the render radius for a few rounds of Red Menace, I can set it up to do 4 or 5 at a time.

Do I get to those from the Holotape settings or such?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

Do I get to those from the Holotape settings or such?

Yeah. they're one of the performance options. Threading is the top option and it opens a submenu to set your max threads (Auto is fixed at 10 for now) and whether to go crazy with threads when building a city.

That second one's generally fine if you have cities set to manual upgrade, since you're not going to be loading other cities while your current one builds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a mod that allows me to put the child settlers that are pre-placed at some settlements to work? I don't want them lazing about, bringing down the tone of the place.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Terrorforge posted:

If you don't want to use Horizon (which you probably don't if you're super fond of your gun mods and don't feel like patching them yourself) try War Never Changes for a one-stop overhaul and/or some combination of Survival Options, Loot Overhaul, Better Locational damage or equivalent mods.

Disclaimer: never actually used any of those, they're just standard recs not my personal ones because I just play Horizon

War Never Changes looks dope but I'm a no-dlc peasant so I can't play it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I've been using "Better Locational Damage" and its optional levelled-lists plugin as my main gameplay overhaul and it's pretty loving slick. It basically delevells everything so that it can all show up by the time your level 5, and then it radically compresses the health ranges so that the difference between a top-tier raider and a scrub-tier raider (for example) is much much smaller than in vanilla. Everything feels a lot more dangerous, there's a much wider variety of equipment, and combat feels really sharp and punchy. So far I highly recommend it. There are even guides on the modpage for patching weapons to work with it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a mod that allows me to put the child settlers that are pre-placed at some settlements to work? I don't want them lazing about, bringing down the tone of the place.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17106

This is a specific thing you can assign child settlers to do, closest I found. There's also mods that ADD kids that can do things, but I can't figure out if they modify the defaults. I don't think they do.

Their size is a problem for things like workstations, I gather, but I'd think they'd be able to farm. Unless the rake thing scales wrong.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm trying to use Sim Settlements but I can never get Sanctuary Hills to progress past 7 pop (the initial Concord 5 and 2 others). All my meters are maxed save happiness which is at around 75%, and I have plenty of expansion space zoned. What am I doing wrong?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Lum_ posted:

I'm trying to use Sim Settlements but I can never get Sanctuary Hills to progress past 7 pop (the initial Concord 5 and 2 others). All my meters are maxed save happiness which is at around 75%, and I have plenty of expansion space zoned. What am I doing wrong?

Silly question, but did you set up a Recruitment Beacon?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Terrorforge posted:

Silly question, but did you set up a Recruitment Beacon?

yep! that's how I got the +2. Do you have to progress to some point in the plot to unlock it fully? I've unlocked Minutemen radiant quests to get settlements but haven't yet unlocked Preston Garvey as a follower.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Lum_ posted:

yep! that's how I got the +2. Do you have to progress to some point in the plot to unlock it fully? I've unlocked Minutemen radiant quests to get settlements but haven't yet unlocked Preston Garvey as a follower.

No, you shouldn't have to touch the Minutemen quests at all. How long have you been waiting? It can take a while, but unless you got impatient after not getting any for five minutes you should be seeing some growth.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Did you change the settings to ignore the settler Charisma cap? I think vanilla FO4 limits settlers to 5+CHR or 2xCHR or something like that, I had to flip a setting in the City Manager holotape to ignore that limit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Sim Settlements by default also only allows 2 unemployed folk before recruitment stops, so make sure you have enough non-housing plots for folks to go work in, maybe?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Preem Palver posted:

Did you change the settings to ignore the settler Charisma cap? I think vanilla FO4 limits settlers to 5+CHR or 2xCHR or something like that, I had to flip a setting in the City Manager holotape to ignore that limit.

It's 10+CHA so that shouldn't be an issue here.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
None of these should apply (I have high CHA because this playthrough is primarily to dork with settlements, I have lots of plots that aren't being built, all bars are maxed, etc)

I guess I'll turn off the needs checks in the holotape and see if people start rushing in

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you want to force the issue, player.placeatme 20593 1 will spawn a settler.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kitfox88 posted:

Sim Settlements by default also only allows 2 unemployed folk before recruitment stops, so make sure you have enough non-housing plots for folks to go work in, maybe?

And maybe turn up the number? If Preston, Codsworth, and Mama Murphy aren't doing anything...

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Glazius posted:

And maybe turn up the number? If Preston, Codsworth, and Mama Murphy aren't doing anything...

You can assign them to some stuff though?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

If you're using Sim Settlements, it allows child-race NPCs to own residential plots and work farms. The actual process still requires assignment, though, so you'll want to make the preplaced kids assignable using the two console commands in this thread.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

This is exactly what I would expect to see from someone whose only knowledge of firearms comes from this sprite: and whose wardrobe consists exclusively of novelty belt buckles.

That sprite is based on something else, kind of a cult thing :
But who's ever heard of Frank Miller or Geof Darrow, also bonus
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29339

staberind fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 26, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I was thinking more along the lines of the original sprite being like 100x200 being the critical factor in a very ??? implementation of the weapon.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Mod shoutout. Found this because of a reddit post alerting compatibility with SkyrimSE.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283/
Why bother
Fallout 4 ties loading time to framerate.
This detects gamestates, and dynamically disables vsync during loading screen states.
Absent vsync on a loading screen, your system is going to draw crazy volumes of frames.
This places the loading time bottleneck from your framerate, to your drive speed
this should only benefit SSD or better

Comes with an ini so you can tinker with things a bit.

If you're already someone running at 144hz the benefit will probably be somewhat minimal, but hey, any time not loading is time spent playing. It should still add up

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 27, 2018

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
yeah,
I just like the fact that its existence boggles the mind of srsbiznis tactilol gun nerds.
(no-one here implied in that.)
I do recommend reading hard boiled tho'...

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Kiggles posted:

Mod shoutout. Found this because of a reddit post alerting compatibility with SkyrimSE.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283/
Why bothert
Fallout 4 ties loading time to framerate.
This detects gamestates, and dynamically disables vsync during loading screen states.
Absent vsync on a loading screen, your system is going to draw crazy volumes of frames.
This places the loading time bottleneck from your framerate, to your drive speed
this should only benefit SSD or better

Comes with an ini so you can tinker with things a bit.

If you're already someone running at 144hz the benefit will probably be somewhat minimal, but hey, any time not loading is time spent playing. It should still add up

As far as I know, even if you have a 144 Hz display, you've gotta cap the frame rate at 72 FPS or else the physics are all wonky. Items laying on the ground will kill you if you walk into them and you cannot use any terminals at all or else the game will soft lock. Even capped at 72, I have to quicksave before using a terminal because there's a small chance it will soft lock. Anything 80 FPS or higher pretty much guarantees the character will get stuck when trying to use a terminal, in my experience. I'm gonna clear some stuff off my SSD, move the game directory, and give this a shot. Thanks for the link.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

staberind posted:

yeah,
I just like the fact that its existence boggles the mind of srsbiznis tactilol gun nerds.
(no-one here implied in that.)
I do recommend reading hard boiled tho'...

I don't mind the pop culture references but some of the just naked straight from real life post cold war guns in fallout 2 were a mistake...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't mind the pop culture references but some of the just naked straight from real life post cold war guns in fallout 2 were a mistake...

I think that the aesthetic can be done in a way that fits with the game's universe. Stuff like Bethesda's Assault Rifle tries hard enough to be retro that it looks silly, while all the 5 million polygon modern day weapons with synthetic materials go off the deep end in the other direction. Fallout has always seemed like it was meant to be a setting where the aesthetics and dressings of late 1940s/1950s sci-fi would come true, but the fundamentals of the world didn't change. I feel like that's why something like a combat rifle with a laser and a holographic sight looks fine, but a SCAR with the same get up looks out of place.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

i didn't mind the g11 but that was a wacky spacegun irl too

basically if it's got picatinny rails and an acog with a high speed low drag front vertical grip it doesn't belong in MY FALLOUT

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The Fallout world should have commercially successful Gyrojet pistols and rifles. That's about the most "World of Tomorrow" weapon I can think of.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i always tilted my head a bit at the fatman being a pneumatic launcher system instead of a davy crocket sorta thing

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I think that the aesthetic can be done in a way that fits with the game's universe. Stuff like Bethesda's Assault Rifle tries hard enough to be retro that it looks silly, while all the 5 million polygon modern day weapons with synthetic materials go off the deep end in the other direction. Fallout has always seemed like it was meant to be a setting where the aesthetics and dressings of late 1940s/1950s sci-fi would come true, but the fundamentals of the world didn't change.

New Vegas did this brilliantly, and brought in some really obscure weaponry to boot. I never knew the .22 smg was a real weapon but it is and it fits.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

New Vegas did this brilliantly, and brought in some really obscure weaponry to boot. I never knew the .22 smg was a real weapon but it is and it fits.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ForgottenWeapons/videos

This channel shows off a ton of extremely Fallout weapons that would fit perfectly in the setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcYj2SpUHvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ygMDJQ0iY

Lots of early versions and prototypes of weapons developed just after the end of the Second World War and the concept of an assault rifle was beginning to take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Ian has also done a bunch of videos on craft weapons that are way cooler than the pipe weapons in Fo4.