Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/RachaelEllering/status/956984388465643521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Good friend of ours is working security at the NXT show tonight, apparently HHH is opening the show up according to him

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The_Rob posted:

I firmly believe Hero is one of the best if not the best workers in the business right now, so it's cool to see this spotlight on him. I just wish they would do a little more with him.

of all time!!!

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
While it was a house show, I recall hearing that last night's Shayna vs Ember match at NXT Albany was...not good at all. Crowd apparently didn't give a poo poo, along with a lot of miscommunication apparently. Hopefully that isn't an issue tomorrow night.

Tonight's match was a tag match with Shayna/Lacey going up against Ember/Kairi.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

DarkstarIV posted:

While it was a house show, I recall hearing that last night's Shayna vs Ember match at NXT Albany was...not good at all. Crowd apparently didn't give a poo poo, along with a lot of miscommunication apparently.

I expect it to be the worst women's match at a TakeOver in a minute, but that the crowd will be somewhat more into it because the result is actually meaningful, unlike at a house show

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

While it was a house show, I recall hearing that last night's Shayna vs Ember match at NXT Albany was...not good at all. Crowd apparently didn't give a poo poo, along with a lot of miscommunication apparently. Hopefully that isn't an issue tomorrow night.

Tonight's match was a tag match with Shayna/Lacey going up against Ember/Kairi.

https://twitter.com/ifyouseekcasey/status/956886326548320256

It will be a true test whether Shayna is this Samoa Joe/Tully Blanchard hybrid her boosters think she is or if she/her style is a small room act that doesn't appeal to the cheap seats.

If the match stinks conventionally her boosters will likely still stick by her. Those not sold on her will probably say if she was male and not Rousey's buddy she'd be in the Evolve/Tim Thatcher.

Personally, as I've said on Twitter the finish will lift from the Bret Hart/Austin Survivor Series 1996. Shayne will lock on the unbreakable rear naked choke and Ember will somehow pin Shayna's shoulders to the mat.

rovert fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 27, 2018

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

rovert posted:

Those not sold on her will probably say if she was male and not Rousey's buddy she'd be in the Evolve/Tim Thatcher.

this is the most savage poo poo I've ever read and hopefully it doesn't go that poorly

alternatively, if Evolve is any indication, maybe they just need to find Shayna a Stokely and/or WALTER

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
PURELY as a fan, I hated Asuka's Takeover match with Bayley. Ember Moon isn't remotely in the hearts of fans of NXT Bayley was. But still, joyless maulings are joyless.

However, the match is in Philadelphia and those joyless sickos will likely eat Shayna up.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rovert posted:

PURELY as a fan, I hated Asuka's Takeover match with Bayley. Ember Moon isn't remotely in the hearts of fans of NXT Bayley was. But still, joyless maulings are joyless.

However, the match is in Philadelphia and those joyless sickos will likely eat Shayna up.

I just remember really disliking the end of Asuka/Bayley. It felt like it came out of nowhere and fell flat instead if feeling like a big deal.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Phenix Rising posted:

I just remember really disliking the end of Asuka/Bayley. It felt like it came out of nowhere and fell flat instead if feeling like a big deal.

Shayna mauling Ember might be the right thing as Kairi Sane is the whitest of white knights for the Wrestlemania Takeover and they have unfinished business as Shayna choked Kairi out.

Shayna as long-term NXT Champion might also be the right decision as NXT IS a babyface factory with a collection of as close to a definitive generational collection of them as you can pinpoint with the likes of Kairi, Candice, Dakota, Nixon Newell etc and Abbey Laith if you have a greater faith in her NXT prospects than I do.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cool heels beating the poo poo out of lame babyfaces is about the only thing that gets a consistent reaction from WWE crowds these days, so if Shayna/Ember goes the way I expect then it'll get over big.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Benne posted:

Cool heels beating the poo poo out of lame babyfaces is about the only thing that gets a consistent reaction from WWE crowds these days, so if Shayna/Ember goes the way I expect then it'll get over big.

Philly has trended towards being a more star power crowd from its heel crowd peak in the 80s and 90s but Shayna is way cooler than Ember by a significant margin.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

Shayna mauling Ember might be the right thing as Kairi Sane is the whitest of white knights for the Wrestlemania Takeover and they have unfinished business as Shayna choked Kairi out.

Shayna as long-term NXT Champion might also be the right decision as NXT IS a babyface factory with a collection of as close to a definitive generational collection of them as you can pinpoint with the likes of Kairi, Candice, Dakota, Nixon Newell etc and Abbey Laith if you have a greater faith in her NXT prospects than I do.

I think the problem with Shayna though is you can't feed too many people to her either. I had talked about it with a friend, and he agrees that Shayna's reign shouldn't be too long. Have her win the title tomorrow, retain against Ember at Takeover: New Orleans (provided they have a rematch), retain against Kairi at Takeover: Chicago (assuming there is one before Money in the Bank), then lose it to Kairi in a rematch at Brooklyn. Then call her up.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

I think the problem with Shayna though is you can't feed too many people to her either. I had talked about it with a friend, and he agrees that Shayna's reign shouldn't be too long. Have her win the title tomorrow, retain against Ember at Takeover: New Orleans (provided they have a rematch), retain against Kairi at Takeover: Chicago (assuming there is one before Money in the Bank), then lose it to Kairi in a rematch at Brooklyn. Then call her up.

Not so sure about that given Iconic Duo are close to being called up and Nikki Cross is the same and tweener at best.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

rovert posted:

Not so sure about that given Iconic Duo are close to being called up and Nikki Cross is the same and tweener at best.

They already have some new heels ready to take the Iconic Duo's and Nikki Cross's place. Shayna (obviously), Taynara Conti, and Lacey Evans. However the problem with Lacey and Taynara is they are both green as grass.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

They already have some new heels ready to take the Iconic Duo's and Nikki Cross's place. Shayna (obviously), Taynara Conti, and Lacey Evans. However the problem with Lacey and Taynara is they are both green as grass.

That line up is so weak.

They need to sign Jinny.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tim thatcher is good actually

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I thought Shayna got a lot of comparisons to Riddle, rather than Thatcher?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

In WXW

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the world over

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

This needs more fawning over

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

Tim thatcher is actually amazing. Legit one of my favorites working.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I used to be down on Thatcher until I realized a lot of my problems were actually with Gabe.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I used to be down on Thatcher until I realized a lot of my problems were actually with Gabe.

Yeah see I never watch Evolve so I don't have any problem with his booking. I just know dude is legit one of my favorite wrestlers to watch and he just seems to understand wrestling on a higher level.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

You're forgetting Bianca Belair

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

John Dudebro posted:

there are not nearly enough killian dains so i don't see the problem

Bring them all in for the ARMBAR on the WM preshow. Put a minimum 300lb weight limit on it.

I wanna see fifteen hosses try to murder a ring.

The_Rob posted:

I firmly believe Hero is one of the best if not the best workers in the business right now, so it's cool to see this spotlight on him. I just wish they would do a little more with him.

Fat Chris Hero is a gift to wrestling, and I am glad he's in a position where he can continue being fat and amazing instead of skinny and miserable.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 27, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

You're forgetting Bianca Belair

Bianca's hair gimmick is a great heel bit because it FEELS illegal, even though if you think about the rules of pro-wrestling, it's really not.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Are they adding a slave owner dynamic to Lacey's newest character iteration?

https://twitter.com/LaceyEvansWWE/status/957294000138006528

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

gently caress I was supposed to write a takeover OP on the bus down to Philly and forgot; someone pinch hit please?

My hot tip is I always just rewrite the official posts like http://www.wwe.com/shows/wwenxt/nxt-takeover-philadelphia-2018-01-27 to be smarkier

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

rovert posted:

Are they adding a slave owner dynamic to Lacey's newest character iteration?

https://twitter.com/LaceyEvansWWE/status/957294000138006528

Looking forward to seeing Lacey and her two Forest Whitakers

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I finally watched this week’s NXT and don’t ever let Shayna talk holy poo poo

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Are Tino Sabbatelli and Riddick Moss a couple or are they just cool friends who got a nice car together? Will they be explaining this a bit better at Takeover or will they be maintaining the mystique of the relationship for a while?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

tweet my meat posted:

Are Tino Sabbatelli and Riddick Moss a couple or are they just cool friends who got a nice car together? Will they be explaining this a bit better at Takeover or will they be maintaining the mystique of the relationship for a while?

Their gimmick is Creative Has Nothing For You

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Benne posted:

Their gimmick is Creative Has Nothing For You

I've always wondered this: If creative doesn't give you anything, how much control over your own persona do you actually have? Like, what percentage of dialogue is scripted? What's stopping you from changing your "voice" ring-gear/hairstyle/paint/etc until you basically force creative to mention it? I mean, obviously, you can't just do something totally different from what's expected (Like deciding "gently caress it, I'm gonna turn") but if you want to add a little extra quirk here or there, isn't that on you? At least to some degree?

I would think people in Developmental are encouraged to try more character work, etc than on the regular roster, and I figure there's got to be at least some leeway to what you can do on even the regular roster. (In one of the Table for Threes, for instance, I can remember Dean Ambrose talking about after The Shield broke up, how he didn't know what to wear to the ring and didn't want to wrestle in trunks ever, ever again so he just started doing matches with whatever he happened to be wearing that day.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except on the main roster the guy who decides whether that's OK is a senile, capricious madman who may fire you for it one night and push you to the moon on another.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just want to say that black vs Cole in extreme rules in gonna be really cool. That's it ok bye.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
The Takeover thread is up a bit early tonight.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847626

Go make posts about Takeover and how Ciampa is a bad person ITT.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I only watch NXT here and there. I was watching the pre-show and I was really impressed with Almas’ manager. She was spitting fire during their interview where she even had Joe backing off.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Zelina is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Lol at people being mad over Asuka winning best overall competitor in NXT.

quote:

Asuka winning overall competitor of the year was a joke. Female sure, but having underwhelming feuds and burying the entire division in her 8 months last year on NXT are not reasons for her to win. I guess they will use her "awards" as another way to put her over tomorrow.

She consistently put on high quality matches, and it was really easy to get invested into her feuds. The guy who posted this is an Iconic Duo superfan, so that should explain a lot.

• Locked thread